• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much of your per annum income would you be willing to give up to tackle climate change?

• None at all

Votes: 413 47.6%
  • 1-5% of your income

Votes: 128 14.8%
  • 5-10% of your income

Votes: 116 13.4%
  • 10-20% of your income

Votes: 80 9.2%
  • 20-30% of your income

Votes: 35 4.0%
  • 30+% of your income

Votes: 95 11.0%

• Total voters

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There are already some taxes based on carbon footprint... if you drive a car you pay gasoline taxes, registration taxes, etc. If you have an EV you don't pay the gas tax, and your charging rate is likely subsidized, etc.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
30 would decimate my finances but I'd do it because the planet is more important.

But as others have pointed out, corporations and the wealthy should be footing the bill.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This is absolutely inevitable. The general population needs to change their lifestyle. They'll just come kicking and screaming doing it. If they don't, mother nature will wipe out a lot bunch of us to solve the problem.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
About 5%. If taxes were raised by 5% on personal income and 10% on corporate profits we could fund so much cool green or sustainable infrastructure.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I took the question to mean a reduction in income either due to direct taxes or rise in expenses.
The latter is what I think a lot of people aren't thinking of when they respond to this thread.
For example, if you consider purchasing a hybrid or an electric car as tackling climate change, the difference in cost between it and the equivalent gasoline powered car would be income you are giving up to tackle climate change.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
That's for all those loaded folks on here that make 100k + a year to pay, I'm just trying to survive out here I'm not paying no climate tax.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'll pay an additional 10% when it is a) proven that the money is getting used for a good cause and b) companies pay 10%-20%

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming it would actually seriously help, I'd give up 20-30% easy. I would do more too, but 20-30% is what I voted.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people who post things like this need to say how much they earn and what bills they have each month. Otherwise it's useless high horse bullshit.

You'd be happy to give 30% away. Most people would be glad to have 30% to give away.

Like I have 30% to just "give away." Are you going to be the sole arbiter of what expenses are valid and which are not?

Well the issue is that if you look around ERA you have posts saying to buy more expensive food options. You have posts saying to buy more expensive cars when I'm sure many here can't afford them.

Now we have posts expecting people to turn aside a good chunk of their income too.

Cant keep just asking people to raise their bills and then on top of that expect those same people to reduce their income. It's actually quite simple to understand the poll results.

Also if you're comfortable giving up 30% of your income I'm very curious to know what you do for a living and whether or not you're supporting a family, because to be honest I have to assume you make really good money or someone is providing a roof over your head.

I wouldn't be "comfortable," giving up that much of my income and I would have to make major changes to my family's life style, but if I could be confident that doing so would actually make a significant difference, I wouldn't hesitate.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I have 30% to just "give away." Are you going to be the sole arbiter of what expenses are valid and which are not?

Not at all. Give away all your money if you want. What i am against is getting on a high horse and shaming people who might not have anything to give.

Guess what, if i made 100k a year i could give 80% of it away and still be left with more than i earn now. But i don't make 100k a year. An extra 30% tax would literally leave me homeless.

So anyone who comes in here and calls me selfish can fuck right off.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
Of course major companies and rich people should contribute, but this problem is big enough that it will impact all of our lives. Yes, even you, middle class person reading this right now.

8 BILLION people can't eat beef every day of the week and fly around the world a couple of times a year. That needs to stop right now because it's ruining the planet, we all need to cut back on this.

Our governments need to impose hefty taxes on undesirable behavior or outright ban it, it's the only way we can make this work. But of course we'd rather point fingers at each-other.

So we're fucked.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Allocations from the taxes we pay should go towards this cause, not directly from our pay as an additional tax or burden.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure of the percentage, but I pay a bit more to buy groceries and items (dish soap, cleaning products, etc) so I can avoid plastic and waste.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Just add it to the gas taxes as carbon taxes. Then tack on monstrous taxes to jet fuel and for whatever fuel yachts use. Everyone pays and those who bike and use transit gets nailed less as they should.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious as to what people think the government should actually do, or businesses actually do, or the government taxing the rich and businesses would actually do that doesn't in the end make you pay more for things you buy, and the cost of daily necessities? It's easy to point the finger at somewhere else but there's no realistic scenario where the rest of us get isolated from having this hit us financially. What are people thinking of where we don't in the end get this financially? Legitimately curious as to what I'm not considering.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I am buying an electric car next month or so, so I am already devoting part of my income. Also I have a solar panel and I am trying to eat beef once a week.
I am trying to help as much as possible.

OP
OP
Window

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really curious as to what people think the government should actually do, or businesses actually do, or the government taxing the rich and businesses would actually do that doesn't in the end make you pay more for things you buy, and the cost of daily necessities? It's easy to point the finger at somewhere else but there's no realistic scenario where the rest of us get isolated from having this hit us financially. What are people thinking of where we don't in the end get this financially? Legitimately curious as to what I'm not considering.
Yeah I don't get it either. I think people are either missing the flow on effects of their policy proposals or want radical change from market based to a state planned economy. A tax on the super wealthy or luxuries could also maybe minimise impact on middle and low income households, using that money to subsidise green alternatives but I have not thought about its flow on implications.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pointless question without knowing what that money is going towards, what others are contributing and what my share's impact will be.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Well for people who make less it is a lot. I wonder if all the people who want the rich to pay taxes would feel the same if they had to pay them as well.

I mean, you said it yourself - you don't want to pat them, but you want the wealthy to pay them as well.

I get that if you make less, and on paper, it sounds like a lot but in reality it isn't. It's not even close to true wealth, where the inequality is.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I mean, you said it yourself - you don't want to pat them, but you want the wealthy to pay them as well.

I get that if you make less, and on paper, it sounds like a lot but in reality it isn't. It's not even close to true wealth, where the inequality is.
Well I still think 100k and up should pay when we are talking about giving back to society.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For dumb "how far you'd go" exercises, this isn't a great one.

We'd be better off theorizing shutting power off (that comes from dirty polluting sources) to everyone but essential services only. You HAVE to power your house / business with clean energy whether that's from hydro-electric dams, solar, wind, nuclear, etc. Then have something like "health insurance" that'll install solar panels and batteries to homes that can't afford to do it themselves if they need it for medical reasons.

The same would go for gasoline and diesel powered vehicles. Only essential services and public transit can use gas and diesel (until they can be converted to electric with a real deadline). For everyone else, it's walking, bicycles, electric cars / motorcycles, and public transit.
This is much worse lol.

Oh you're poor and can't buy a new EV? Well guess you have to walk 50miles by foot to get to that job in the city, where you can't afford a flat and it's public transport because you're to poor already as is.

The fucking rich and corporations need to pay the bill, (by just paying as much in taxes as everyone else) not fucking the poor or (non existent) middle class even further.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Holy shit at the amount of "fuck you, got mine" in this thread on a forum that talks mountains of shit about climate change.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I wouldn't like it, but I also wouldn't protest paying a little more in taxes. Ultimately though, the taxing should be an aggressive campaign against the richest among us.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I would pay any price, if the result would be effective. I'd let people set me on fire and sacrifice me to the gods idc.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Well I still think 100k and up should pay when we are talking about giving back to society.

That $100k making nurse is probably contributing a whole lot more than you are.

You are wildly clueless if you believe $100k is some magical threshold that makes problems go away, especially if you live in a coastal city in the US. Nurses, teachers, those people working in IT or families with two people making $50k each are not the problem and not the ones we should be targeting.

As someone else already correctly mentioned it only shields the wealthy as people continue to feed into the garbage that the middle class is the culprit and like clock work the middle and lower class keep arguing amongst themselves while those at the top keep walking away with all the money, fucking shit up and experiencing zero consequence.

So in defense of that nurse who contributes to society by working to keep people alive and healthy, or that nurse who cares for children with mental disabilities as my wife does, what do you do and how do you contribute to society?

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
That $100k making nurse is probably contributing a whole lot more than you are.

You are wildly clueless if you believe $100k is some magical threshold that makes problems go away, especially if you live in a coastal city in the US. Nurses, teachers, those people working in IT or families with two people making $50k each are not the problem and not the ones we should be targeting.

As someone else already correctly mentioned it only shields the wealthy as people continue to feed into the garbage that the middle class is the culprit and like clock work the middle and lower class keep arguing amongst themselves while those at the top keep walking away with all the money, fucking shit up and experiencing zero consequence.

So in defense of that nurse who contributes to society by working to keep people alive and healthy, or that nurse who cares for children with mental disabilities as my wife does, what do you do and how do you contribute to society?
I live in a costal city, I'm spitting distance from the ocean and I'm not talking about combined Incomes. Teachers out here make Bank btw it's not a low wage area.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I have to worry more about getting popped by the cops or some random man, mad at the world before the sun God claims my soul.

I earn a pretty good salary, but I would rather pay for us to work on the injustice of black people in America before the climate. The justice system and the societal structure is really messed up here. I picked 0 due to the facts above.

You all can worry about the climate killing you. Our immediate threat certainly isn't climate change. I wish it was, but unfortunately, it isn't.

That's for all those loaded folks on here that make 100k + a year to pay, I'm just trying to survive out here I'm not paying no climate tax.
100k is nothing living in California. We make well over this and still have to monitor spending habits here and there.

Last edited:

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I live in a costal city, I'm spitting distance from the ocean and I'm not talking about combined Incomes. Teachers out here make Bank btw it's not a low wage area.

So even better. If you understand teachers are some of those who make good money and are part of that $100k you are targeting then why is it on them to give back to society? They already are by educating our children. They aren't the ones directly messing up the planet so why is it on them to pay a tax while you aren't?

Do you magically contribute more becuase you make less? I just don't get your argument when you use "give back to society". You seem to know full well who these $100k earners are.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
So even better. If you understand teachers are some of those who make good money and are part of that $100k you are targeting then why is it on them to give back to society? They already are by educating our children. They aren't the ones directly messing up the planet so why is it on them to pay a tax while you aren't?

Do you magically contribute more becuase you make less? I just don't get your argument when you use "give back to society". You seem to know full well who these $100k earners are.
Of course i know who they are, trump loving conservatives.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
There are several possibilities, but to put it simple: A reasonable carbon tax would punish those who consume above the country's average, while benefits those who consume less. This can either happen in form of tax benefits, subsidies for public transportation or a general tax reduction for the sake of installing a new carbon tax.

I know it works because we already have several similar taxes in my country.

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyway, very few industries work with very high-profit margin.

So the make corporation pay will lead to you paying in the end. So the question is still valid. How much of your income do you want to use for fighting climate change( in the form of higher prices)?

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Holy shit at the amount of "fuck you, got mine" in this thread on a forum that talks mountains of shit about climate change.
Most of us would be happy to chip in IF corporations and billionaires also contributed in the SAME WAY, as in paying their taxes, paying the same percentage, etc. That's the only way this could work, cause right now it's placing the blame on the common person when their contribution to pollution is significantly less.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Yes, all teachers are Trump loving conservatives. Jeez... do you even think before you type?

Im positive this conversation isn't going to really go anywhere so if you wish to have the last word, by all means go ahead.
I never said they all are,
But you seem to be putting those professions on loftier grounds. They do enough for society more than you do, they teach our kids, etc etc

The ones out by me support Trump/ GOP, being a nurse or a teacher doesn't mean someone is a morally righteous person.

i rather the people i know that make that much money paying a little more in taxes than going out and buying Audi's. People that makes less than 100k shouldn't have to.

I'm not saying take a quarter of their pay, but they should be on the low end of this climate change tax tree. The more you make, the more you pay. Which means yes the people making 300k, 800k are paying a hefty price.