• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Almost every decision in this game seemed like a concentrated assault on the very concept of fun itself. Who on God's green earth thought that Titan fight was acceptable to put in a video game?

Yup. Have no idea why people praise Tabata. Yes he technically shipped a game but it shouldn't have even existed as far as I'm concerned.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
By far the weirdest thing we saw of XV was running around a cut train station as a cat:

Obviously the cat was nothing (though they gave it bespoke animations in this?), but I never figured out what the hell that was supposed to be.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Datamining the PC benchmark demo shows there is still lines for Noct & Stella/Luna meeting in Insomnia, im not at all surprised Noct's Japanese VA pretty much says that was cut for Kingsglaive, what a stupid move on Squares part.
Do you know where one could find those lines online? That's really interesting and I hadn't heard of them being datamined before.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I think back in the day we would have blamed this on bad translation, but the reality is that some of these games just have bad writing,

Rather than reaching for an explanation about cut content being needed for the full story, maybe the story was just never good?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
No in the leaks Noctis killed Stella when they were kids, which explains Ravus hatred for him.
The leaks said that Noctis "caused [Stella's] death" but it was accidental or against his will. It wasn't murder but it was definitely at least partially his fault. He's processing her loss while speaking to her spirit.

The whole "eyes that see the light of departing souls" narrative conceit was completely dropped when Versus became XV.
Right, that leak is ultimately questionable though, mainly because roberto ferrari has said other things on social media.
Do you know where one could find those lines online? That's really interesting and I hadn't heard of them being datamined before.
It isn't much.

「ノクティス様、失礼をお許し下さい。」

Excuse me, Noctis.

「わたしはデネブラエから来たステラといいます。」

My name is Stella, I'm from Tenebrae.

「本日はご招待頂いて、なんとお礼を…… 」

Thank you for inviting me here today.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
Remember the Dawn Trailer ?
It has nothing to do with the game.

What about that "OMEN" trailers ?
Nothing to do with the game

Well, surely the Kingsglaive movie is related to the game.
Well, actually... yes but just accept that the movie has a completely different Ravus and completely different Luna... Also, the general of your army is also a general of the Empire's army... the guy sure had a busy schedule.

I knew that Versus was dead... but at least XV could be it's own finished game right ?
Nope, Not at all... also let's recton our own story with free patches over time. See Ifrit was corrupted, even if initially he was working with Ardyn, we changed our mind.

Man this game frustrates me... but I'm just part of the Vocal Minority I've been told...

Am I missing something? I don't ever remember those leaks being confirmed
I think there's a lot of confusion with all the "leaks" coming out of this game.

There was the big august leak that got everything right except for Ardyn's 3rd demon form (Most likely got cut)

But other than that, people are trying to put together various leaks with what Ferrari also said and trying to come up with an unified leak or something.

Pinku

Dec 21, 2017
I felt it was a very short game. Bought it on release and didn't even play 10 hours, then in 2020 I decided to continue. I don't really know how much more I played but I reached the ending very quickly. Maybe they want you to spend more time doing sidequests but the main story felt too short.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Because that's a target render. It's CGI with a HUD overlayed to make it vaguely resemble gameplay to people who think ANY game could play that smoothly.

The quick scenes of extremely low framerate battles was real time. You can clearly see that was a test area where they spawned random enemies to test fighting mechanics.

Anyway, I feel like it would have been better to just consolidate the story to the invasion and retaking of your home. Much of the plot intrigue could have been built around learning the larger conspiracy of who betrayed the kingdom, why, and maybe a deeper discovery of your family history. Not every Final Fantasy has to be a big epic "Save the world from impending doom" story. Overall, I think the biggest issue was that these ideas were berthed during the Crystal Tools era.

Anyway, I'm curious how Luminous Studios fits into Square's overall plans for future game development (particularly in regards to FF)? FFVII:R Part 2 and FFXVI aren't using it. Kingdom Hearts isn't going to be using it either. Is Project Athia the only AAA game Square's using Luminous Studios for?

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
How to experience the FFXV story in 32 easy steps:
steamcommunity.com

Steam Community :: Guide :: Order of All Final Fantasy XV Universe Content

Want to get the most out of Final Fantasy XV? Here's a guide for new players, with time estimates and importance rankings for media outside the main game, all listed in the order that will give the be

I just completed my second playthrough and used this guide. This game is a damn mess but I really enjoyed my time with it. The Ardyn dlc is legit great. In another universe there's a FFXV version that had all the ancillary stuff in a complete coherent package, but sadly this mess is what we got. Despite all the flaws I love Noct and the chocobros.

Whoever mapped jump and confirm on the same button should rot in hell tho.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
How to experience the FFXV story in 32 easy steps:
steamcommunity.com

Steam Community :: Guide :: Order of All Final Fantasy XV Universe Content

Want to get the most out of Final Fantasy XV? Here's a guide for new players, with time estimates and importance rankings for media outside the main game, all listed in the order that will give the be

I just completed my second playthrough and used this guide. This game is a damn mess but I really enjoyed my time with it. The Ardyn dlc is legit great. In another universe there's a FFXV version that had all the ancillary stuff in a complete coherent package, but sadly this mess is what we got. Despite all the flaws I love Noct and the chocobros.

Whoever mapped jump and confirm on the same button should rot in hell tho.
Wait, do I see Doomtrain in the Big Bang art ? I think I see Odin too ?

Oh boy...

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
At the end of the day I actually enjoyed what was actually made, and the ending credits are pretty empotional but I cant help but wonder what lost potential did FF XV have.

A fuck ton.

Even today, people still watch the Versus trailers and gameplay of back then, and wish they got that instead. I think that says it all really.

Now I played FFXV, all the DLC's, and even read the novel.

I absolutely loved the concepts they were going for, but the execution was shite, to the point that even those who enjoyed the game (like me) have no trouble saying the game is a goddamn mess.

Could have been one of the best FF games ever, but no, they dropped the ball hard.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The part where you get on the train and after is basically just like the jeep ride in Metal Gear Solid V and everything after that.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I think the most frustrating thing is that somewhere in the mess, there was the potential for a great Final Fantasy story.

The fallen kingdom, the exiled heir, raising support to take it back, the whole world plunged into darkness, fighting for the throne. That's all Final Fantasy.

It just never really.... works.

"Insomnia's Waking Nightmare" indeed.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes I know it was literally the most recent mainline FF release, but I've always said that XV desperately needs a remake.

It deserves it because the concept was so captivating...all to be squandered away by poor execution.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm in the process of playing through the entire Final Fantasy series (I'm on 3 right now), and with all that I've heard about the most recent entries (sans-14), I'm very curious how I'm going to end up feeling about XV. I hope I like it, but I have my doubts.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I know it was literally the most recent mainline FF release, but I've always said that XV desperately needs a remake.

It deserves it because the concept was so captivating...all to be squandered away by poor execution.
Less poor execution and more just, like, half (or even more) of a full narrative & overall gaming experience just missing, even after the DLC. The game desperately needed to be more than one game and even the first part at least 1 or 2 years longer in the oven, but FFXIII trilogy's diminishing returns and higher ups' desperate need to get the shameful Fabula Nova Crystalis saga & bad taste of the whole PS360 generation over & done with meant it didn't get that luxury.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Aranea she already mentions she's thinking about leaving the empire, and then she just leaves the Empire off screen with the main characters not having any role in her story.

Im also confused by this part. The way she is introduced to the story, i feel like she is going to be a powerful rival for sure. But a chapter later in a cutscene she says she doesnt feel anything with her party and she is going to retire???

Oct 28, 2017
That was a nice summary OP. I think you described the weaknesses in the game's world and story very well - and in a compact and undramatic manner.

Shame what could have been (with the game).

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I love this game but good god, the absolute trainwreck of development shows almost in every regard. There's fun to be had, touching moments here and there, some staple FF silliness...but the open world, story, characters, cities, linear sections, combat...it's just completely unfinished, half baked and rushed. The cancelled DLC still hurts to this day. Now we're left with wondering what could have been.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. It's pretty clear that Nomura initially wanted the invasion of Insomnia to happen AROUND Noctis and the party and for whatever reason Tabata decided to dump that in favor of the focus on the road trip.

I feel the reason was time and money. They probably cut all the parts that weren't open world and went to focus the game around it.
And even so the game was further cut down along the way. Honestly sounds like a miracle we didn't get another Cyberpunk case when it was released, like I don't think is a good game, but I also think it could have been way worse.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I specially like the part where they show you the super important pivotal moment of the king's death in a cutscene with no audio or context and Noctis finds out about it... in the press and their reaction is "oh no the king's dead, anyway let's give this random npc those things he asked for".

I understand the time and budget constraints, but like Type 0 or CC there are some core design decisions, gameplay wise and story wise, that make no fucking sense whatsoever. Tabata and his team do some things good and a lot of things bad by design.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
Final Fantasy has honestly been a bit of a hot mess since the release of FFXIII, they've lost the ability to tell a simple, relatable story in chasing anime tropes and cool stuff to put into trailers.

The one exception is the FFVII remake and only because it has one of the strongest stories in the series to fall back on, even there they couldn't help themselves though and the new parts like Roche basically wanting to fuck his bike made me almost drop it.

(This obviously isn't including FFXIV which I hear is great)

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Best part of the storyline was the anime series..
Hopefully future FFs will somehow bypass such huge development problems.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
You don't think Noctis reading that his home had been invaded and his family was dead in a newspaper was an effective way to convey that plot point?

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Final Fantasy XV is full of glaring cut corners.

The truly sad part is that it is also full of potential but due to time/budget/project management never reaches the heights that it could.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Threads like these always further my confusion on whether or not I should buy the game. It's people simultaneously saying they enjoy it but everything about it sucks 🤔

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone talks about the newspaper scene, but the one that really got to me was finding out Ravus died in an optional newspaper. That may have been rectified in the Royal edition, but I don't care. The game I played was the game they shipped and I have the right to criticise that.

Also Prompto turning out to be from Niflheim, even though there was no foreshadowing and the plot point just ended there. It literally existed to open a single door.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
I'm in the process of playing through the entire Final Fantasy series (I'm on 3 right now), and with all that I've heard about the most recent entries (sans-14), I'm very curious how I'm going to end up feeling about XV. I hope I like it, but I have my doubts.

I think you''ll enjoy it, but find faults with it.

Story issues aside, it is quite fun, which is an accomplishment in and of itself for that game.

OP
OP
Charred Knight
Oct 8, 2019
Threads like these always further my confusion on whether or not I should buy the game. It's people simultaneously saying they enjoy it but everything about it sucks 🤔

The Royal Edition is frequently on sale, and its worth 18 bucks but pales in comparison to games like Horizon Zero Dawn, and Breath of the Wild.

The gameplay loop can be really fun dodging, or parrying hits, trying to setup a strike attack, the fishing minigame was a blast and gave you a nice rush when you land a big fish,, I enjoyed the camaraderie between the 4 main characters, and Aranea, and Cor were both nice side characters.

Everyone talks about the newspaper scene, but the one that really got to me was finding out Ravus died in an optional newspaper. That may have been rectified in the Royal edition, but I don't care. The game I played was the game they shipped and I have the right to criticise that.

Also Prompto turning out to be from Niflheim, even though there was no foreshadowing and the plot point just ended there. It literally existed to open a single door.

There's three sections of the game that clearly exist to entice players to buy the DLC

.1. The section were Gladios just leaves the party for no reason (a reason finally given in the Gladios DLC)
2. Ignis becomes blind which is explained in the Ignis DLC
3. Prompto falls off the train than comes back to reveal that his an Niflheim experiment, which is explained in the Prompto DLC

Yeah its kind of a dirtbag thing to do

Last edited:
May 29, 2018
I was 11 years old in 2006 when Versus was announced. I still remember how I felt watching Noctis walk down the steps while completely destroying the Magitek soldiers. That looked so fucking cool. 25 year old me is cynical but hopes that Nomura can make something out of Verum Rex and not just keep it something in the background of Kingdom Hearts. Ideally I would love a game fleshing out Yozora and the world he's from including the ideas that Nomura initially wanted for Versus 13 before he even thinks about Kingdom Hearts 4. But with him being stretched so thin between FF7r, KH AND TWEWY it's probably wishful thinking. Not to mention he's 50 and FF7r probably won't be finished until he's 57 or so

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Does the story later on do a much better job of building camraderie in the party? I know everyone says the interactions between the bros is the best part but of what I played I found their interactions incredibly stilted and awkward.

This bolded part literally makes zero sense to em and I see it a lot surrounding this game. The bros are literal cardboard cut-out personalities, barely any of their interactions feel genuine, they change personality for certain scenes with no discernible reason (hello Gladio), god its all just awful.

Oct 31, 2017
This bolded part literally makes zero sense to em and I see it a lot surrounding this game. The bros are literal cardboard cut-out personalities, barely any of their interactions feel genuine, they change personality for certain scenes with no discernible reason (hello Gladio), god its all just awful.
Fucking THANK YOU.

The bros never question anything, either, which makes them more shallow than they already were

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
i wanted to love this game, everything in there called to me like a very cool Final Fantasy but i just endend liking it with some big red flags.

i also played pre Chapter 13 patch, pre 60fps patch, pre everything since i played it on launch and was very disappointed on how big important chunks of the game were sawed off and sold as DLC.
i could go for a FF15 Royal run but nah, the ship has sailed and i rather wait for 16.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The quick scenes of extremely low framerate battles was real time. You can clearly see that was a test area where they spawned random enemies to test fighting mechanics.

Anyway, I feel like it would have been better to just consolidate the story to the invasion and retaking of your home. Much of the plot intrigue could have been built around learning the larger conspiracy of who betrayed the kingdom, why, and maybe a deeper discovery of your family history. Not every Final Fantasy has to be a big epic "Save the world from impending doom" story. Overall, I think the biggest issue was that these ideas were berthed during the Crystal Tools era.

Anyway, I'm curious how Luminous Studios fits into Square's overall plans for future game development (particularly in regards to FF)? FFVII:R Part 2 and FFXVI aren't using it. Kingdom Hearts isn't going to be using it either. Is Project Athia the only AAA game Square's using Luminous Studios for?
With FFVIIr being a massive success and FFXVI having a large hype train it doesn't seem like Luminous is needed for the FF IP. The tagline "No longer defined by the crystals" or whatever reads as a very unintentionally meta on how the IP suffered from the crystalla novis whatever project that led to a poorly received trilogy and a nearly cancelled second trilogy that had to be compressed into one game and a single movie.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I thought Jihl's death was actually interesting, thematically. She was a woman who had no qualms about using others as tool and enjoyed dominating others and being in control. Her ending up as being just a tool as well and killed off so abruptly and casually was a bit of delicous irony. I would have liked a boss fight with her first though.

This is an interesting take. Good point. I think I can get behind her end viewing it like this.

Here's the thing though, the Empire outside of Ardyn gets almost no screen time, so unless you remember the announcement trailer, you're not really going to think "Hey where did the two old guys go". The fact that Jihl gets screen time gives the audience an expectation, while FF XV gives you no expectations for its story after Altissia.

At no point did Tabate ever think "When Ardyn became the new main villain maybe I should give the old evil Emperor more screen time to explain the plot and not just shove it off to another round of DLC"?

Like maye dont leave most of the plot to the DLC, especially if the other DLC depend on the first few DLC selling well.

Well they put it in a novel so hey you can read it in the Final Fantasy wiki

finalfantasy.fandom.com

Final Fantasy XV -The Dawn of the Future-

Final Fantasy XV -The Dawn of the Future- is a novel follow-up to Final Fantasy XV. Written by Emi Nagashima under her pen name Jun Eishima based on a draft by the Final Fantasy XV development team, the novel retells the events of the cancelled downloadable content tetralogy of the same name...

Wait the Starscourge is a mutated form of Malaria? Am I reading this right? Why the hell would you put something so stupid into your game

finalfantasy.fandom.com

Starscourge

O'er rotted Soil, under blighted sky, A dread Plague the Wicked hath wrought. In the Light of the Gods, Sword-Sworn at his Side 'Gainst the Dark the King's Battle is fought. From the Heavens high, to the Blessed below, Shines the Beam of a Peace long besought. 'Long live thy Line, and this Stone...

Did you watch Kingsglaive? That might have altered our perspectives of the Empire a bit. They are featured HEAVILY in the movie, and not just Ardyn. So I expected a lot more from them, especially from Ravus, than what we got in the game. Like whoo boy. Then we get to their city and they're already gone? And it's Ardyn's fault for WHAT REASON? I still don't even remember lol Experiments with daemons gone out of control, I think. Spurred on by Ardyn's betrayal since I guess the empire was done being useful?

Heck if I know and it's not like the game ever coherently foreshadowed or lead the party to think things were changing in the Empire during your travels. But don't worry, for some reason Ardyn's the best villain in FF to date! Just play his DLC to understand why.... /s

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
I thought Jihl's death was actually interesting, thematically. She was a woman who had no qualms about using others as tool and enjoyed dominating others and being in control. Her ending up as being just a tool as well and killed off so abruptly and casually was a bit of delicous irony. I would have liked a boss fight with her first though.

That's an interesting take. Still think how they handled her to be highly disappointing.

As you said, a boss fight or two would have been nice.

She's got a great design but she was treated as an afterthought, which sucks.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I recently played through the royal edition and I had fun, but as many pointed out the edits are terrible and I think they could fix things by even cutting more stuff to simplify the story. They also really shouldn't have tried to implement God of War Style bosses. It didn't turned out good and it feels very unfinished and they probably spent way too much time on that.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
One of the few games of the past generation I'd consider a masterpiece, despite the flaws, and that's saying something. A true flawed gem. It's entirely subjective, but in the current gaming climate this game feels completely unique to me, but I've spoken about that too many times, and nothing will convince the people that hate the game to give it another shot.

But I always approach stories with the mindset that not everything needs to be explained (it's cool if it is) and that the (completely irrational) emotions a story evokes in you are far more worthwhile than any amount of worldbuilding.

I only played the Royal Edition, but it would be interesting to see how many people that played the original on release and hated it would change their mind if they gave RE a shot. Naturally, they'd need to be willing to leave all prejudice they've accumulated through the years of shitting on the game behind, and that won't happen.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
By far the most messy mainline FF. Even XIII felt way more focused and cohesive (it's main fault being that, while everything was polished to a mirror sheen, what was there wasn't that engaging). The opening is incredibly weak, the pacing and the tone are all over the place, and even the cutscene direction feels puzzlingly amateurish considering what we know Square is capable of.

While a great chunk of the messiness is certainly a result of the rushed development, there are a number of baffling story decisions which drag the experience down even further, like the weird focus on Cindy or the hilariously awful attempt at making the player care for Jared. The ending is emotional for sure, but the payoff is non-existent. Luna and Noctis are the least developed couple in the entire series, the villains are a laugh with barely any presence, and the whole thing is paced so strangely and incompetently it never really gives you a reason to care about any of the shit that's happening.

The bros and their dynamic is a bright spot, though, and that's a good thing considering you're stuck with them for basically the entirety of the game. The roadtrip thing the game is going for on the whole was executed quite charmingly, even if it clashed head on with the "retake the kingdom" plot. I dunno, I enjoyed my time with the game, but the enjoyment was in spite of all the stupid bullshit the game is wrapped around in, and as some time has passed, my opinion of the whole thing has soured even more.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Its hard to say how much is incomplete when the game seemingly was a mish mash of hundreds of ideas that didn't even necessarily make sense in the first place. Since the game was initially supposed to be part of Fabula Nova Crystallis, but a fantasy based on reality whereas XIII was pretty fucking fantasy. But XV when it was versus was supposed to fit into that loosely. Oh and it was gonna have Tokyo cause why not.

I dunno what the hell Nomura was doing in those years because tbh he's genuinely really good at what he does, he just seemed to get lost in ideas that never formulated and became overly attached to them to the point we're seeing Kingdom Hearts adopt them instead.

Essentially what we got is hard to call incomplete IMO. Its as complete as I think you're gonna get a FF game when tasking the team with putting a failed project back together whilst taking over the finalising of an engine as the lead also left that, topped off with tuning to fan based feedback in less time than most big budget games get on an actual finished engine. That the team managed to ship anything in those conditions is impressive to me.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
What a shitshow. I bought it for half off a few months after release and couldn't believe how unfinished the game felt. Should have just lit that 30 bucks on fire lmao.

I watched the anime, movie and still didn't know what the fuck was going on most of the time. Waste of my time is what that was.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
Im also confused by this part. The way she is introduced to the story, i feel like she is going to be a powerful rival for sure. But a chapter later in a cutscene she says she doesnt feel anything with her party and she is going to retire???

As with most of this game that explanation was cut and shifted to DLC. Unfortunately the Episode Aranea DLC was canceled. They did put out a novel with the Aranea plot if you're interested. It's the second short story in the "Final Fantasy XV: The Dawn of the Future." I just read it last week as I replayed that part of the game and enjoyed it.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
Wait, do I see Doomtrain in the Big Bang art ? I think I see Odin too ?

Oh boy...

Who even knows wtf is going on in that painting?!? So much of this game seems like years of unfocused faffing about that they had to jam together at the last minute.

I still unironically love it for all its flaws though.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
I LOVED this game. But once you board that train it becomes very clear a ton of stuff was cut out. I was really hoping for another landmass to drive around in.