• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Everyone always says they'll never do it because they're selling too many games at $70 a pop, but theoretically, if Sony bit the bullet and did day 1 games like Gamepass how much money would they stand to loose? Or would the amount of people subscribing to their service outweigh the losses?

Feeling like day 1 first party is a no brainer
based in the recent Gamepass presentation numbers. Looks like it's a path to success vs selling your games for $70. Like why wouldn't Sony do it, they'd be dumb not to?

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I assume they've crunched the numbers to see that they make more money selling at 70 than getting people to sub to a service.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
going by microsofts experience, it would probably be a net positive and they might even sell more copies

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Let me just hit Jim Ryan up
pBHppYX.jpg

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not about losing money it's about changing business plans. If the old business plan works you're going to hesitate before trying to jump into a new one that might not work. The problem isn't what you can calculate, it's what you can't calculate

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I don't know OP, I don't work at PlayStation. They clearly are happy with raising the price to $70 and still moving units.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
their revenue would drop 12,42% per month for the first three months, then slowly increase by 4,87% until such a time when the sun engulfs this planet at which point investors will finally die happy zillionaire deaths

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think losing money is the issue here. We know the Xbox division is profitable and the PlayStation division obviously makes more money assuming they make a similar service they'd be able to sustain it but it's just not in Sony's interest at least not yet.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I mean when you look at how many copies of MLB The Show they sold last year and will sell this year even with the game being on Gamepass I don't see why they'd give it up.

It will be amusing when they launch a Gamepass competitor that doesn't have a day 1 release that the other service does have as a day 1 release - for a game they make.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
I am sure they have run projections and at this time it appears that it would make them less money. Personally, I think it is just a matter of time where the circumstances change enough that Sony does put their first party titles day one on Spartacus. It might be a few years down the road but I would be surprised if it doesn't eventually happen.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
How could anyone posting here possibly know this?
Same way the arm chair analysts know more than Microsoft's bean counters when it comes to Gamepass. We don't. It's always amusing to me when people on forums think they know more than beam counters at billion dollar corporations. There is a lot behind the scenes that the general public isn't pricy to and we sure as hell aren't either.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone always says they'll never do it because they're selling too many games at $70 a pop, but theoretically, if Sony bit the bullet and did day 1 games like Gamepass how much money would they stand to loose? Or would the amount of people subscribing to their service outweigh the losses?

based in the recent Gamepass presentation numbers. Looks like it's a path to success vs selling your games for $70. Like why wouldn't Sony do it, they'd be dumb not to?

Why wouldn't they do it? Uh, because people are buying their $70 games?

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
How much? Unsure. Would it be less than they'd make selling each game individually? I think so, but I have no idea. On paper, I think most publishers would prefer to sell their games for a certain price rather than being put on a subscription service but that's just me.

I think they make way more selling their games individually, so they'd lose more putting it day 1 on a sub service.

Last edited:

Icky Thump

Oct 30, 2017
How much money would Sony loose if they made 1st party day 1 on Spartacus?

Sony would loose as much as it could loose if Sony could loose money.

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022
At some point it seems like they will. Maybe not immediately, but I think once MS's acquisitions start bearing fruit on the level of first party Sony, and they're all on GP day one, it'll be mighty difficult for Sony not to.

At launch I doubt it. Although I could see a GaaS ending up there day one, with retail copies coming with bonuses.

Jul 2, 2021

It's simply not their business plan. They aren't betting their future on a sub service. And Nintendo isn't either.
And that's fine. All three are kinda doing their own thing (different focus) and that's good.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Even if Microsoft is losing money they can afford to. I don't think subscription numbers make up for a game selling 10 million at full price.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
How much have MS lost by putting games on Gamepass day 1? For example if their games were exclusive to retail for 6 months, how many people would have bought Halo instead of playing it on GP? I probably would have. I don't think you really lose much by giving your games are chance to sell first and then add them to retail at a later date.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I think everyone should realize MS is willing to lose tons of money to prop us GP.

Sure we don't know MS's number but it would be interesting to knke what they are investing and how much they are making, finally the profits. Game Pass likely needs a shit ton of money invested that Sony as a whole can't do financially.