• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much have you spent, pick the best option.

• $0 - Just the freebies

Votes: 1,354 59.5%
  • < $20

Votes: 268 11.8%
  • < $50

Votes: 257 11.3%
  • < $75

Votes: 107 4.7%
  • < $100

Votes: 108 4.7%
  • < $200

Votes: 122 5.4%
  • > $200

Votes: 60 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
$0

I've been taking the freebies, but they don't get access to my wallet until they stop paying for exclusives; I either wait for wider release or buy it on another platform.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I used the coupon thing they did to buy Hades on sale and paid a total of $5 out of my own pocket.

PepeElToro

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
$0 just freebies that I never install cause I already own most of them on Steam/GOG.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Zero and I don't see that changing anytime soon. EGS has taught me patience, if nothing else.
tenor.gif

And that will never change.

Why is that? Can someone explain to me where all the negativity toward the EGS in this thread is coming from? Did Epic do something that caused Era to cancel them?

I like Steam too, I really do. If I can buy a game there, that's typically my storefront of choice, but it's completely unrealistic to expect that Steam won't have competitors. The EGS is a fully competent, competitively priced online gaming store front, what exactly is people's problem with it?

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Control + Season pass
Hades
Before We Leave

So maybe slightly above 100 cause everything at the time was new but had $10 discounts outside of the Control season pass

Johnnybarra

Nov 1, 2018
I just get the freebies, but I don't care about buying stuff on there. I just don't buy a lot of games.
It's just a launcher, after all.

Johnnybarra

Nov 1, 2018
Why is that? Can someone explain to me where all the negativity toward the EGS in this thread is coming from? Did Epic do something that caused Era to cancel them?

I like Steam too, I really do. If I can buy a game there, that's typically my storefront of choice, but it's completely unrealistic to expect that Steam won't have competitors. The EGS is a fully competent, competitively priced online gaming store front, what exactly is people's problem with it?

Yeah, I'd love to see an answer to this bc the hate seems extremely unwarranted, unless I missed something.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wheres the option of 0 and no freebies? Even taking the freebies gives them a boost and I've no interest in helping out the miserable pos running that mess

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
0 and I have claimed every single freebie that has ever been free on the store

Oct 25, 2017
I've bought a handful of exclusives or games that were exclusives at the time. Hades, Control, Outer worlds, and most recently Hitman 3. Probably some other smaller indie games as well, but I'd guess under 200 all in. I still greatly prefer Steam and the exclusivity bs did bother me at the beginning but I don't really care anymore. I'd rather play the game now than wait a year.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The zero Euros shall remain exclusive to the EGS.
Why is that? Can someone explain to me where all the negativity toward the EGS in this thread is coming from? Did Epic do something that caused Era to cancel
There are many different reasons. Some are based on morals, some are based on economics and yeah, some are based on fanboyism. The discussions are now going on since over 2 years and I think you'll find enough threads to read the basic arguments. One reason for example is that they left the PC space 10 years ago with their president claiming that most PC players are pirates and that it is up to Facebook (yeah, that facebook) to save PC gaming because Epic won't and doesn't care.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas

Pretty simple... Valve strives to make Steam a better platform with features that benefit the users. EGS competes by paying companies to keep their game off of Steam. I have 0 interest in supporting that. I also don't think you'd find many people that would agree with you about EGS being a "fully competent" storefront. It's less than bare bones.

Oct 25, 2017
Bought Jackbox 3-7 (excluding 5) and Hades, all for less than $15. Only give them my money for the absolute best deals because I'd much rather use Steam and refuse to support paid exclusivity.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
< 20. I don't like spending anything on EGS because the library is shit and has zero sorting functions. How am I supposed to remember what I have on there? Can't even filter by tags...

pyxl_8

Oct 27, 2017
Hades, Satisfactory, Outer Wilds, Snowrunner, Tetris Effect and Control are the biggest releases I picked up from EGS but there's a ton of smaller titles I've also picked up in their sales, so easily over 200.

Three of those I listed are literally 3 of my favourite games of the last 5 years and they were EGS exclusive. I don't give a fuck what shop I use, a brilliant game is a brilliant game.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
0 not even the freebies. Don't have it installed, don't have an account.

cyress8

Avenger
Mainly because they bring nothing to the table.
Let me toss out this quick bit. What if Microsoft or Sony stopped improving their eco-system and relied on just moneyhatting games to get customers. Doing nothing to improve the experience of their users. Would that be ok with you?

I would rather support a company that is at least trying to make my experience better.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

I just like to have everything in one place and believe that Steam is 'safer' for the foreseeable future.

And Epic timed deals sometimes annoy me (like KH now), so I created an aversion on top of that. I opened exceptions to GOG and BNet, but never will to EGS.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
El zilcho.

Hitman 3 almost made me cave, but even then, it would have been a physical key and not on EGS. But they went and fucked that up.

Doubt anything would make me cave. That was a special case where I wanted PC progress so I couldn't just go to PS5 or XBox easily. It would need to be a monumental exclusive that had balls to the wall amazing raytracing like FF7R2 or something.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
got division 2 for like $5 with a coupon. It was $3 on Uplay not that long after

It redeemed on uplay and I don't have to use epic to play it so that was nice.

I've actually finished a few of the free games, and played a ton of Dauntless. Launcher sucks but the games work at least.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The winter sale was really excellent, I got a lot of cheap games. I paid like 12 dollars for Metro Exodus with all its DLC and 20 for Desperados III. I just don't have the time to care about the platform wars anymore, it's not a big deal to click two extra times.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I wouldn't call EGS "fully competent". It.. works. But it's missing so much that even the Nintendo eShop has and its just embarrassing.

Valve/Steam works really hard to improve their services surrounding the storefront (input options, VR, etc). Epic does not of that, they just pay developers for exclusives and sit back and don't improve YoY, features-wise or financially.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I have purchased 2 games which were both like $5 after coupon (Hades and Bugsnax). And I got the dlc for Remnant after it was a free game (I think it was like $10 for dlc). So around $20-$30.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't care about platform warring in the least so probably about £100 total + as many free games as I remember to claim.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Those of you that don't even get the freebies, why??
I don't usually get freebies for 3 reasons:
  1. my exprience with EGS ahs been terrible. I got troy total war (i like total wars in case my avatar isn't clear) and it is jsut painful to play in EGS. For example i like to use controller to command some stuff when watching replays like a movie. Bam CTD. Play for 2-3 hours CTD. and otehr issues. Obviously this isn't just on EGS but also some problem on my PC that has a conflict with it
  2. I have to use steam overlay becaue EGS doesn't have any features.
  3. Have enough income taht i can spend 100-200 €/year in games without an issue
Combine the 3 and i aks why should i suffer the EGS...

Jun 13, 2018
The games turn into fully fledged uplay games that you can download and play in the uplay launcher.
I can't guarantee they haven't changed it since I did it but that's how it worked for Far Cry New Dawn and the Assasin's Creed game epic gave away.
Interestingly DLC does not transfer over it seems. Or at least that's what it seemed like when I checked.
One of the games I bought off of EPIC was Immortals Phoenix rising for 30 dollars with the coupon. Unlocked a Uplay copy for me and don't need to use the epic launcher at all.

Can't speak on other games though.

oh ok. thanks. this is interesting.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
Zero.

Used the egs when it was the unreal store back then. Did not install it with the new pc back then. Kept it that way.
Why?
They basically killed unreal (tournament) and I'm still bitter
I hate exclusive games. I get it for first party games (on either platform) but this approach is a big no for me.
Honeypotting with freebies feels so lousy.
Same with their overall attitude of being the savior of small devs and stuff