• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much does the reveal of the UI impact your console purchase?

• It has a huge impact on my decision

Votes: 43 2.6%
  • It has somewhat of an impact

Votes: 100 6.0%
  • It has very little or no impact on my decision

Votes: 1,548 93.1%

• Total voters

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Well, I suppose if launching a game required navigating through 27 different pages of a menu that's as responsive as a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 in 2019 then yeah, it would have a huge impact.
Realistically, I have no idea why people so thirsty for PS5 UI. Curious, sure, but eh, we more or less know what to expect.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone is basing their $500 purchase on seeing some menus or not.

But that doesn't mean people don't want to see it?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
No impact for me. That doesn't mean I don't want to see it before release.

I just don't view it as very professional or transparent.

It's like a car salesman not letting you drive a car before you buy it. You know you want to buy the car and don't want anything else, but would still like to at least take it for a spin before you drop the cash on it.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Unless it's a GUI interface that was created using Visual Basic......I'm good, doesn't affect my purchasing decision

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
If people don't think UI makes a difference...

Windows was going in a direction to remove start menu and go with mobile/tablet metro style UI for a time. They received huge negative feedback that MS were idiots and they turned it around with start menu. Anything can happen.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Just to be clear, there is a difference between UI and UX:
UI (User Interface) is literally how users interact with the device
UX (User Experience) is the entire experience of using the device, including features and capabilities. We know the games side of this, but that's it.

I'm much more interested in the UX, which is also something we don't know much about. UI is really inconsequential unless it's truly abysmal.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
A great looking, fast and easy UI to navigate is certainly good to have. But It's not exactly something I look into before buying a console.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
While I would never decide to buy a system because of its UI, I think knowing what system features and QoL updates are available would get me more excited. I'm completely neutral on PS5 coz I feel like I don't know anything about it. The games are what will make me buy one, and those will come, but in the meantime, I'd like to learn more about dashboard features, storage/library management, the storefront, and overall UX coz they're pretty central to the experience imo.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely wouldn't impact my purchase completely. But I mean we are a month out, it would be nice to see as we are all excited.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I am super excited to see what the PS5 UI looks like, but I'd still buy a PS5 if it used the exact same UI as PS4.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
A little bit, but obviously not THAT much if I'm getting a PS5 soon. Even considering going MEDIA BLACKOUT FOR A CONSOLES UI. Which would be weird... but maybe..?

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
Unless it's extremely unintuitive, it won't affect my purchasing decision. But it will definitely affect how much I use a console or platform. So most of 3rd party games will be played on whichever can provide the smoothest user experience (not necessarily performance).

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm only here for the games.

It could work like a dvd player and i wouldn't be pissed. It's a very nice thing to have but in the end something i don't care about enough.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Not a lot but, it's a month away from launch and Sony has shown a whole lot of not shit in terms of new features. Don't know if they have a quick resume, don't know how the UI works, don't know if rest mode is different don't know if shareplay is still a thing, don't know if anything is missing from PS4. We really don't know shit about PS5 in practical terms for the average consumer. Just a bunch of things that you could find on a sheet of paper.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's important to me if it has cool, innovative QoL features.

It has ZERO impact on my purchase decision though, as the games do that.

FlanjeUK

Apr 20, 2019
Literally pointless, when I started playing console games there was no UI, it was either off or running a game...

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I like UI's and a well designed one can certainly make using the console more enjoyable but the differences aren't going to affect my games, right?

To that end, IDGAF.

All my games and apps work? Yeah, then I'm fine.

Oct 27, 2017
The UI doesn't majorly impact as long as the accessibility and usability are good. A good UI to me isn't about prettier icons or menus but functionality, and efficiency. Switch doesn't have a particularly great UI on first glance but there are some neat little ways to navigate through it - even if as with all of the current interfaces there are some UX issues - there are also some neat features.
As shown on the poll, for most players, their main mission is to play games, so as long as the experience around that is good and the functionality to support it is there the look of the UI especially is less consequential to a purchasing decision.Things like sluggishness are accepted by some to a degree,because of this as well (But I suspect 'sluggish' is far from the word we should be hearing with Series X and PS5).

Nov 1, 2017
It's interesting to see, the only way it would impact my console purchase is if they showed the UI as an incredibly slow clunky mess.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it doesn't affect my purchase -- as I'm buying the console for games, not UI! -- but I'm looking forward to seeing what is next. If it's a laggy mess that would dampen some of the excitement a bit, lol. The Wii U->Switch and PS3->PS4 were both fantastic improvements, and what I've seen of the current Xbox UI upgrade looks great, too.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
It's not something I ever really think about. It just needs to be functional and snappy.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
After the shithole that was the 360 games shop and trying to navigate it, followed closely by the absolutely fucking awful Xbox one ad covered burial mound of "can you find your games" it has become a thing for me that UI needs to be livable somewhat. It wont stop me from getting a console for a single game if its the right one (KI, Culdcept, MVC, etc) but it is enough to make me hate turning the console on to just mess around with.

Heh...I remember the 360 game store was so god damned awful for indie devs with how it buried them that one shmup actually made fun of it and to start the game you had to navigate and find their game in a version of the 360 game stores labyrinth lol. It was a shmup called "Game Type" and it mocked trends like parkour bein shoved in everything and trends in general .

Fun game btw. The dev made Pig Eat Ball and Shoot 1up and has always been a trippy and funny dude. Super dedicated to their players btw. I bought their stuff on steam day 1 and when it had resolution issues the dev was there in a chat with me hot patching in under an hour to resolve that forever. Crazy.
If next gen has shit UI again though I hope to see them make more jabs at it :)

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't impact my decision, but I still think its fuckin bizarre we're a month from launch and we've not seen any of it yet.

Spiderhead

Banned
Aug 15, 2020
Canada
Not at all. A ui is something you look at for like 10 - 15 minutes each time you use the console. Couldn't care less what it looks like.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Could not care less with consoles/portables. Typically not a fan of Xbox UIs, yet that's been irrelevant to why I've never bothered buying those platforms.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
zero effect

as long as the system doesn't take 1 or more minutes from home screen to gameplay I don't care what the UI looks like in the least

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Has no impact on the buying decision. That, however, doesn't mean I don't want to know about it prior to release.

I don't buy a new iPhone without knowing about it's new features, functions, and UI changes. I wouldn't buy a car without knowing about it's media, and AC controls. I know all cars have them, but knowing how things work for your specific thing you're buying helps make it a much more informed decision.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Not at all, the PS5 could barely have any UI and just play discs like the PS1 and PS2 and it wouldn't impact my purchase much.

I'm still curious about it tho.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
As a person in UX, it has very little bearing. Why? Because I don't plan to spend too much of my time in the UI.

A really horrible user experience may deter me from using it too much though but I'm talking about the likes of which hasn't been on any modern console.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
0 impact. yes i would definitely love a well done and snappy ui, but at the end of the day i buy these to play games.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
The features built into the UI and its functionality in general are important to me. Sony's UI's at launch are usually lacking, the PS3 didn't even let you access the dashboard without quitting the game. I want to see how parties work, the new share button, any new social features, sorting/grouping/folders, the new PS Store, friends list, etc. I don't know if it'll have much of an impact on my decision to buy one or not, but I want a good OS/UI experience on my new, premium console.