• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
No poll because I want to facilitate discussion and I don't think this is a binary yes/no question.

I was listening to the soundtrack of Sonic Mania. Great soundtrack, great game. Hard to find much to complain about. Killer level design, lots of playable characters, the ultimate culmination of the Genesis-style gameplay. Yet... I have a hard time saying I prefer it to Sonic 2 and 3&K. I think the fact that the vast majority of the game cribs level themes from previous games - and even the visual style and general gameplay wants you to constantly be reminded of the Genesis games - makes it hard for me to rank above them. When I play Sonic 2 and 3&K, there's a very specific experience to those games that can't be replicated. Mania is a greatest hits remix, which is what they set out to do, and they did it incredibly well. I don't think it's even a nostalgia thing, I played the Sonic Genesis games over a decade after they came out, I grew to genuinely love them long after their release. I just don't think Mania can capture what they had by trying to replicate it, I guess.

Conversely, I think Pokemon Black/White 2 is superior to Black/White in almost every way, despite being a similar sort of "remix" sequel. The main thing that is weaker is the story, but everything else just feels so objectively superior that it doesn't bother me that it cribs so much from its predecessor. Perhaps because it's a weird middle ground between the expected third version and a brand new game, but that's an example of a remix that worked better for me than the original.

Some of it also just depends on what you play first. Comparing Super Mario Galaxy 1 vs. 2, if someone played 2 first, I think it's pretty unlikely they would prefer 1 after playing it later, because so much of 2's design is enhanced. Yet 1 came first, most people played 1 first, and its novelty, atmosphere, and narrative is what a lot of people love about the game and something 2 failed to tap into, making it feel like more of the same with a weaker presentation. Whether or not that's actually true, that's a common discussion point when comparing the games.

I guess I'm mixed on it myself, but I'm wondering if people here feel like they need games to feel novel and new in their own way, or if it's fine that it feels like "more of the same" as long as it's high quality.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion, innovation is great, but pitch-perfect execution of an idea is even better, even if the idea isn't particularly new.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coincidentally, I'm just reviewing a game where most of the elements of it feel absolutely competent and fun, and yet I can't really ignore the fact I've done this before a thousand times, that there's barely an idea that would set this game apart from all the titles in its genre. Not the setting, not the looks, not the gameplay, nothing. It doesn't ruin the game, mind, but when I play a new IP I would expect it to have some sort of originality, even in cases when it's clearly a spiritual sequel (like, say, Danger Zone or Torchlight).

A lack of originality also hampers playing through a saga for sure. I was absolutely out of this world when I was playing throught Assassin's Creed 2 (the first entry I got from the series), so I jumped into 1 immediately too and it was already getting a little tired. I muscled through Brotherhood, but it wasn't quite exciting anymore. By Reveleations, I felt like I've seen it all, and it took all the way until Origins for me to truly get immersed in a game from the franchise.

Some game formulas like FIFA or Tetris "just work", and they don't need to be revolutionized every year to make me want to play them again and again in new games. But yeah, more often than not a lack of originality can be a bit of a dealbreaker.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll always prize originality because it pushes the medium forward. That's not to say I expect it from every game though; I take great pleasure in anything thoughtful or well executed.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
I think it depends on the game, but it seems like if I already like the structure and gameplay, I don't need innovation. But with a lot of new ip or games I didn't find super enjoyable, then innovation is more needed.

I think if you are a new ip though and you aren't innovative, then you should be really good at what you do. Otherwise why bother with a new ip that is the same thing we have seen many times before.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
80% originality, 20% execution. I like a polished game like the next guy, but I have very little game time and try to play as many different games as possible. If I feel like I'm playing something I already did before, it feels like a waste of time.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think it depends on the game, but it seems like if I already like the structure and gameplay, I don't need innovation. But with a lot of new ip or games I didn't find super enjoyable, then innovation is more needed.

I think if you are a new ip though and you aren't innovative, then you should be really good at what you do. Otherwise why bother with a new ip that is the same thing we have seen many times before.

That's kinda how I felt with Shovel Knight. It's a very solid game, great visuals and graphics, good level design, but I just couldn't help but feel it didn't really bring anything new to the table, like a hodgepodge of previous classic NES platformers. It's a game I'd happily recommend to anyone but I just never felt it could match up to the best platformers because it always tried to constantly remind you of them while not quite standing out on its own.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
9 times out of 10 execution over originality/innovation. Execution can defint products quality , originality not so much . I want to enjoy a game not marvel how daring and fresh the experience is .

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Great execution is the most important aspect of puzzle games and other sorts I play in 10 to 15 minute bursts, picking them up here and there, maybe multiple times a day, maybe once a week.

But for the rest, originality is pretty damn important. If I'm going to be putting 10+ hours into a game, it needs to feel fresh in some way. This doesn't mean it has to be innovative or genuinely original. Sometimes a new combination of otherwise pretty unoriginal elements is enough.

There are exceptions, obviously since this is a pretty broad conversation, but a game that has well-executed but bog standard world/cast/story/combat/other gameplay/structure/etc. is very unlikely to hold my interest for long.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
That's kinda how I felt with Shovel Knight. It's a very solid game, great visuals and graphics, good level design, but I just couldn't help but feel it didn't really bring anything new to the table, like a hodgepodge of previous classic NES platformers. It's a game I'd happily recommend to anyone but I just never felt it could match up to the best platformers because it always tried to constantly remind you of them while not quite standing out on its own.
Yep I definitely get what you mean. It's like hearing a new Kickstarter for a not-zelda or a not-mega man. It can look and sound like it captures the feel, but it just feels like it can be a harder sell if it doesn't bring anything new to the tableland it's just a "ripoff". It has to do things really really great if that's the case, I feel.

I think part of it is just we have access to so many games these days. If we have hundreds of metroidvanias, why play #22 over #132? Unless it's super high quality, a good innovative approach can do a lot to get interest. Obviously an innovative approach in a meh game isn't going to help though lol

Oct 27, 2017
Gaia
Originality/innovation over quality/execution. I've always been a huge Final Fantasy fan and I think that really impacted how I view games. I absolutely love how the mainline games change everytime. FFXVI is my most anticipated game.

I was actually a little dissapointed in Persona 5 and Xenoblade 2. The time between the previous installment and the sequel was too long for it to just be a refined version of the previous game and in my opionion also worse in some ways (Xenoblade 2: Horrible character designs, gacha systems and worse story/characters. Persona 5: Way too overbloated and long. Severe lack of social events.)

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I am interested in originality but I have always believed an unoriginal story executed and told well is just as worthy of merit as an original story. Especially in an industry where basic storytelling is, by and large, not really all there yet.

my favorite games are both original and well executed, however.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
A new idea or concept will always interest me more than the refinement of an existing one. Might not necessarily be 'better' but I always appreciate attempts at originality

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
If it's fun (to play) and well-executed and not just there for the sake of novelty, it adds great value. It isn't a necessity for me to enjoy a game, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Execution is more important but just playing the same stuff I've been playing the last ten years doesn't excite me, so I guess I respect innovation more but need both to really care.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Originality gets me to the party, execution makes me stay.

Hard to say. Fifty fifty?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
But for the rest, originality is pretty damn important. If I'm going to be putting 10+ hours into a game, it needs to feel fresh in some way. This doesn't mean it has to be innovative or genuinely original. Sometimes a new combination of otherwise pretty unoriginal elements is enough.

I'm in roughly the same boat. A sprawling, big budget, polished experience is impressive for the first few hours, but once I'm used to it I'll often find I'm just playing the same type of game I've done many times before, just with a new veneer. Not to say this isn't the case for initially original games that can only stretch their innovation so far, but they tend to not overstay their welcome as often as safer AAA games.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I value it a lot...some of the more memorable games I've played this gen were indies experimenting with new ways to present narratives, world building, level design etc. Things like Edith Finch, Inside, Everything, The Witness, Rain World, Gorogoa, Outer Wilds, all of these put fresh new spins on existing genres and some feel like they've created new ones in the process. As others have said though novelty can only go so far without the proper execution.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
inovation is good, but i would not complain if people copied a few formulas once in a while ... why is it so rare to have a smash bros clone or a zelda clone for example when we have 32 cinematic 3rd person shooters?

Breath of the Wild "no big dungeons" stuff only feels sad because we don't have more Okamis going around doing it

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
I was going to actually make a similar thread, because I was thinking about how I don't think I've ever enjoyed a sequel more than the original, because I value innovation so highly. I get why people may like, say, Mass Effect 2 better than 1 or Dark Souls over Demon's Souls, but I just absolutely love feeling like I'm in a new world.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Personally, innovation can make me tolerate flaws in execution - but only to a certain extent. As an example, no innovation in Death Stranding will get me to tolerate its godawful gameplay.

Similarly, a game has to have some degree of originality to be especially good - Dragon Quest XI's execution is near-immaculate, but it having no originality robs it of a highlight that it desperately needed.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Depends on how common the kind of game is. Some degree of originality is always welcome, but I don't demand it as strongly from a game in a niche genre (say, survival horror) compared to titles from common genres (FPS, open-world adventure/RPG).

I appreciate novelty much more, however. For example: it had been years since I played a game like Clock Tower (a side-scrolling survival horror game), and now I'm having a blast playing Creeping Terror. I know exactly the kind of game it is, and it's a novel experience in spite of that. I'll probably move onto Detention next, unless this one is enough to scratch the itch.