• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I spend...

• Don't Care About Steam

Votes: 93 24.6%
  • $5

Votes: 22 5.8%
  • $10

Votes: 32 8.5%
  • $25

Votes: 88 23.3%
  • $50

Votes: 64 16.9%
  • $100

Votes: 27 7.1%
  • Money isn't an Obstacle

Votes: 52 13.8%

• Total voters

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
When steam sales for started I'd spend close to $200 sometimes. But since stuff like gamepass, indie bundles and just the way steam sales have changed there's not much I feel I need to buy. So I'll be lucky to spend maybe $30 at most

GrandeDp

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on what games are listed on my wish list on sale. Though I probably wont get much unlike the last two sales. I'm mainly waiting for Cyberpunk to play later. I've given me a 60 dollar budget this sale since I got so many games in my backlog.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I used to spend at least $50

Nowadays I spent $100 or more.

But I buy them from other stores that sell Steam keys for cheaper per competition like Fanatical, Indie Gala, Humble Store, etc.

Though due to Steam offering $5 coupons recently, been buying from the steam store more often but majority of my purchases annually are from outside of Steam.

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I think I spent like $400 on my first summer sale, but I had just built a proper PC for the first time and I lost my mind at the possibilities. I've tried to keep it around $40 or under since then

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Ever since Steam got rid of flash sales I buy a lot less there. Used to spend around $100 each sale

I've bought more on EGS with their discount + $10 coupons than I have in a while on Steam

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Zero, but I care about Steam tho.
Same here.

I didn't even know there was a sale going on, lol.

Other than stuff I've gifted to other people, I can't remember the last time I bought something for myself on steam.
edit: Oh right... I bought SFV and DB FighterZ last month when I got a new stick

cAJFYYw.jpg

wtf? I bought Rogue Squadron?!

Last edited:

Semblance

Oct 26, 2017
California
These past few years? Like $20 each sale at most, but usually not even that much. I'll probably buy a bit more this time as there's some older games I've been eye-balling that I'm in the mood for now. I don't expect great deals though, I'm not dumb enough to get my hopes up.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Probably an average of $50 or so if I had to guess. I've got a ton of games on my wishlist this time though so it might be $100+ depending on what goes on sale.

Nov 14, 2017
I used to spend a lot on sales, but now I have a massive backlog. Plus I spend more time playing online / service type games, as they are easier for me to just dip into and out of as time allows.

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't spend as much now on steam sales. It depends on the games I really want, but mostly I spend around $50. Honestly.. I sometimes spend because of the events steam have for the sale if theres a meta game or something.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Normally close to 100 or a bit over.

This year though none because I just bought a new tv and can't afford it right now. I only have so much "fun money" budget.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Flash sale era?: Like $1-200 easily
Now?: $25-50, and generally only one of the major seasonals. Mostly to clean up my indie wishlist titles.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I have so many games from over the years that it's tough to find new stuff to pick up. This year I'm looking to grab NIOH and Sekiro though.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't even know it was sales-season. I only have 3 games discounted in my 70+ wishlist.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I can't imagine someone who claims to play on PC, but don't care about Steam. LIke, is it out of principle, or just pure hate?

There are far too many games on Steam to ignore.

OP
OP
Fahdi

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
I can't imagine someone who claims to play on PC, but don't care about Steam. LIke, is it out of principle, or just pure hate?

There are far too many games on Steam to ignore.

I'm surprised too, guess there are loyalists to other platforms/storefronts as well. Or whatever is cheaper/drm free I guess? I love GOG too.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I think I picked up some DLC for some games last year but otherwise all the better deals are offsite for me. Praise be isthereanydeal

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
These days I'll usually pick up one or two games I've slept on if I see them at a decent price, but that's about it.

Those bonanza days of yore, though... many hundred. There's not a lot of good games I wouldn't buy for a fiver.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Probably $0 this time since I have so many games to look through from the Itch.io bundle and with TLOU2 right around the corner.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, like anywhere from $0 to $30. Depending how cheap things on my wishlist go.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have any limit so technically "Money isn't an Obstacle" but the likely number is $0. Since the flash deals stopped, the discounts became worse during these big sales and my wishlist will once again be 15-40% off and I'll wait for better deals.

Also I shouldn't buy anything due to existing backlog, but that has never stopped anyone before..

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say between $25 and $50. It depends on the sale though, but at this point I'm playing mostly on console and also already have most of what I want so I don't really need to spend all that much anymore. The sales used to be better a few years ago :(.

This year for example I'm most likely going to pass during the Summer sale and get a few games during the Winter sale instead.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I have a huge Steam library, but $0. There's nothing there for me anymore. Especially in the wake of Itch's charity bundle, holy gods.

If I'm not getting it at release or in a bundle it just doesn't exist. Basically.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Probably around 25 bucks, certainly not over 50. I've been much more selective with my Steam sale spending in recent years. Even dropped over 100 games from my wishlist. I'm trying to focus more on buying games that I'm actually going to play!

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Usually 0€, Steam has been dropping the ball with sales lately, even to extent I'm kinda starting to prefer PlayStation Store sales.
Though I guess this is not Steam to blame, devs can set the % themselves right?

Nov 8, 2017
Used to spend quite a bit, but since Valve eliminated flash sales we just aren't getting as good a deals as we once did. I'll peek in on day one, check the prices on my wish list and buy anything that I think I'll play any time soon or has an amazing deal. No point in even checking back after that as nothing changes.

This pretty much sums it up. I used to pick up games that I wouldn't play for years because the price hit historic lows and it was impulse buy territory. Now good sales are rare, so I haven't bought much if anything the last few seasonal sales. I just play my backlog now and hopefully prices will come down later.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Usually not that much, keeping it under 50 these days.

Most "big" titles get better discounts from key sellers; so Steam's for whatever eclectic games I stuck on my wishlist that go on a big discount.

I'm much more likely to splurge on something bigger in the GOG sales, though, as i'm trying to make that my primary platform.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Nothing I have 5 months of Humble Choice that I haven't used yet, and what with Game Pass as well, I generally I don't have a backlog, and tend to buy stuff I really fancy day one. Most of my wish list tends to be stuff I never play. I stopped buying games just because they are cheap a number of years back.

Oct 31, 2017
Buying a lot of stuff during sales has not been a thing for me for years at this point.
And it has nothing to do with how good sales are or "they used to be".
It's just that I have more than enough games yet to play (and I'm not talking about a generic "backlog" of shovelware I will never bother with, I'm talking about actual titles I wish to make time for) so I have very little drive to pile up more of them in a corner.

I recently self imposed the rule (that sometimes I fail to stick to) to never purchase anything, no matter how good the price, unless I intend to start playing it immediately.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
I'm in the 15-20$ range. Haven't really bought many games since Epic started handing freebies, many of which coincidentally happened to be in my Steam wishlist.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I used to spend hundreds of dollars but then my priorities changed and the sales just weren't as good.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
on average I spend about $25. Some years more and some years less. Last year I didn't buy a single thing.
I've been around for every sale so far and my library is "only" 154 games