• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you REALLY care about backwards compatibility?

• Yes, a lot

Votes: 757 59.0%
  • Just a bit

Votes: 354 27.6%
  • Not at all

Votes: 173 13.5%

• Total voters

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
A lot. PS4 got me back into gaming in a big way after quite a long hiatus so it's really important to me that everything I bought on PS4 will work on PS5.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
We don't as far as I can see most are happy to pay 60 bucks for a port. See the wiiu to switch ports for example.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I dont give a fuck about ps3 era.

But if the switch and ps4 era are not properly BC with enhancements I will genuinely be pissed.

No reason for this nonsense.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Quite a bit. I've still got some PS3 games in my backlog that I haven't been able to play because I don't have the room to set up my PS3 for a significant amount of time. Got the PC version of a couple of them, but outta luck for most others without just buying a remaster, if it exists.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I just want current gen compatibility, and that will diminish significantly as the gen rages on.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I care. It was a major reason why I stuck with the Xbox One and got an X1X. And it's pretty much what I primarily play on the X1X. PS4 BC on the PS5 isn't enough IMO - I want them to go PS3, PS2 and PS1. There's no reason in this day and age good games should die on old console generations.

As such, my PC has been my primary platform for good reason.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Is this something that other gamers take into consideration when buying games?
I do take BC support into consideration, even thought sometimes I decide against buying third party games on Xbox. If I want to play with a friend only owning a Switch/PS4.

The best part about owning all consoles, beside being able to play all these great exclusive games is the fact that I am free to decide which version to get and every plattform has their benefits. Switch is great, because it's portable and I dunno why, but I prefer to play some games portable like World of FF.

Having said that, Xbox is nowadays my preferred plattform for third party games, because One X delivers the best performance usually and for games like RDR2 the achievement progress tracker is really good. I hope PS5 will have this feature. And obviously Xbox BC approach which goes above and beyond the expected BC solution, which PS5 has.

That's great and I am looking forward to play Spiderman, The Last of Us, ... again. However the BC team is one of the reasons I decide to buy my games on Xbox mostly after playing the majority of time on PS this gen. So yes BC and what enhancements are made with the BC solution are under consideration when choosing the plattform I buy games on.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
There's games I've never played on older consoles. So BC is a very appealing to me on the XBO so I can finally play Lost Odyssey.

But also I want to replay some of my favourite games ever like God Hand, that will NEVER get a HD port. Originally I would've said a bunch of Atlus games but who knows now after P4G and Nocturne HD ports.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I'd like not to give a fuck, but with the sparse launch lineups, BC may be an unfortunate necessity.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Ive probably spent an equal amount of time playing new xb1 and og xbox games this gen if that answers your question.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
It's always nice to have the convenient option but I've always felt folks say they are going to revisit games more than they do in reality...myself included
I don't replay many old games, but one of the benefits of playing on PC is that the catalog of titles is astronomically larger than for consoles. I'd beaten Knights of the Old Republic 2 shortly after it came out. A few years back I was interested in the first, so I picked it up and I was able to play through that one as well. I also played through the old Deus Ex games and Vampire The Masquerade long after their initial releases. I'm sure I could pull up plenty more old titles that I've dug my teeth into.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I feel like now that games are BC with graphical and resolution upgrades (xbox for previous gens, and upcoming with ps5 games on ps5) it's way way more prevalent and important than ever before. Especially because even just a few years ago, they would just repackage games as remasters just with upgrades resolutions and shadows and charge full price, again, for it.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
A lot. It's much more convenient to play games on my latest piece of hardware. I much prefer playing 360 and OG Xbox games on my One X. And there are so many great games I haven't played yet from all those generations.

It's a fantastic feature.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna skip a console because it isn't backwards compatible with its predecessor but it has an influence on where I buy my multiplatform games. I buy few multiplatform games on PlayStation because of how they treated the PS1/PS2 legacy games on PSN and I will continue to do so until they get better. No way I'm missing out on a PS console though, they are the absolute best publisher in the industry. I trust Xbox with carrying my games forward so that's where I buy the multiplat games when given the choice.

If I could only afford one console then I would go with the one with better games and just keep my older consoles instead of BC.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Big time. Especially when the games are enhanced. This gen has shown that there's a tremendous appetite for remastered releases across the board. To get games that you already own basically remastered for free? Amazing.

See things like RDR, Skate 3, Ninja Gaiden Black, KOTOR, Banjo etc for how good these BC games look in 4K with solid performance.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Not very much but I do keep a hold of my past consoles and games so I get some enjoyment from getting the urge, finding the box, plugging in the console, finding the box, loading up the game, play for 30 mins and ah my itch has been scratched. I tend to replay games I really enjoy within the console gen itself so by the time the next-gen comes I am ready for new games. Like yeah it's nice The Witcher 3 will be BC but I've played it twice and Geralt is Level 100 with no Quests left. I'll load it up maybe and see if the load times are better or whathaveyou but any game I would want to take forward there is a very huge chance I have already played it multiple times already and am ready for new games in that series or just new series in general. So BC is low on my priorities when the next-gen comes around. It's nice added value but I want new.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's huge. I want to take my digital library with me like other forms of media.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
I care about 1 generation backward compatibility a lot, but nothing beyond that. Especially when PS4 will still be getting games.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The first couple months, maybe a bit. After that, pretty much not at all. To be honest, I've not touched my PS3 or 360 games. I've gone back to 1 or 2 Wii U games, but that's it. There are so many games to play these days that I find it less likely to go back.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
As a PC guy BC is such a weird concept.

That being said I don't really care that much about replaying old games that aren't on PC anyway.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Not much.
The idea of continuous ownership is something that gets my attention but in the end I know that when next gen gains traction I won't look back to replay games that are tied to my account.
BC will only serve me in the first months to play some games that I own and haven't played not to replay my catalog.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
A lot.

PS4 disappointed me so much in regards to PS1 and PS2 titles.

I still have a heap of games I definitely want to get to on PS4 that I purchased and quite a few I am interested in and own* (with a valid PS+ subscription).

If PS5 wasn't going to be great for PS4 games I would honestly reconsider getting it in the first year. I am expecting PS4 Pro+ but quieter (lower load) and a bit faster loading at times.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I want to take my digital library with me going forward, and I like that many older games are benefiting from the more powerful hardware. As I get older I find it's increasingly important to me.

Sardello

Oct 30, 2017
I used not to care about it... but now that we are full of indies and various donwloaded contents, it would be criminal not to allow to bring them in the new system

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Lack of backwards compatibility is why I never jumped in on buying a PS4 and instead game on PC. If PS5 wasn't BC I wouldn't be looking at getting it either, but since I can pick up Bloodborne and other PS4 games for it it's looking tasty.

Jun 19, 2020
Consoles must become like the PC:

BC for everything ever released.
The endless port begs of the great games of your past will be not nessesary anymore.
I love replaying old Mario / Zelda games and other Nintendo titles but if you want to do it on current hardware you depend on whatever they decide to port.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
A lot. I still play some Xbox 360 games via BC.
Also I will definitely want to replay some current gen bangers down the line without my console sounding like a Jumbo Jet about to take off.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I care about it a lot more now than I did ten years ago. Very old games are hard to go back to, but this gen we've seen huge strides in graphics and design, and our libraries are increasingly digital. I wouldn't want to have to keep an old console just to play Forza Horizon 2 or Dishonered, both of which are relatively old now but perfectly playable, and will remain so for many years.

Digital preservation is also very important.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
A lot.
I should be able to maintain access to the content I have purchased without relying on hardware that will age, become obsolete, and difficult to repair.

The lack of PS3 BC on PS4 was embarassing.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sick of having to rebook up my PS3 when I wanna play a game on there... if I had to also do that with my PS4 it's would be really infuriating lol. BC is not a dealbreaker but it is super convenient compared to my current alternative

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
I really care about it. For me it's a game changer. I'm already going with PS5 first Next gen but I'm going to be seriously disappointed if they don't offer nearly full BC with PS4 at launch.

Oct 25, 2017
Might want to add a poll.

For the early part of the generation decent back-compat is pretty great. If you're new to the platform you get access to a whole library of games from previous generations, if you already had the previous console you get to cut down on the amount of hardware that you're using at any one time and there is the possibility of improved performance in past gen games.

For the mid part of the generation I have the sense that you are probably focusing on the AAA and other high profile titles that are available for that particular console generation, so I feel like back-compat becomes less of a factor during that time.

For the latter part of the generation it goes back to being pretty cool again. You can revisit earlier games in a series that you might have enjoyed back in the day or missed out on at the time.

I'm glad that MS made a big push during the Xbox One's awkward years and that Sony appear to be following suit with the PS5. I hope that we get to see a similar approach with the Switch in the future.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Plenty, as I rather not just consume and waste games. I've build digital library of few thousand games during last 17 years. And I prefer platforms and service providers that support my collection and investments, like what Microsoft is doing with BC.

currytan

Sep 6, 2018
I care a lot for it. I don't have too much space at home, and having multiple old consoles connected is a bit of a hassle. I would love to have more and more OGXbox and 360 games added to BC in the near future (and I'm sure that I would buy PS5 day1 if it had back compat with PS1-PS4).

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Switch has done such a great job of creating/curating my own personal "greatest hits" library that it'd be a damn shame if it didn't carry over. I find I replay old games about 50% of the time if they're available. Great games are ones that I want to replay. So, yeah, it's important.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Every gen I move to the next wanting it, but I end up not being interested in replaying earlier gen games for the most part. Specially since I've already played most or all games I was interested in, and with limited play time I end up mostly playing new games on next gen rather than older.
On PC I mix playing new games with really old ones, but I don't think I'll be doing that on PS5.

Even then I still own the mini-FC and mini-SFC and play them here and there, but I consider that very different.

Oct 28, 2017
Current gen, really didn't care much. Next gen though I fucking do, too much money invested and this time they ain't excuses going from PS4 to PS5 ain't as hard as going from PS3 to PS4

Also I have a shitload of backlog waiting for PS5 lol

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
Previously it has never really been a big deal to me, I dont think I ever really took advantage of it with my PS2 or PS3 for example, but it is an appealing point for PS5 because I am not interested in very much of the launch line up but I still have a lot of things I still enjoy playing / need to finish / have wanted to try which are PS4 games so if I can buy a PS5, get maybe one new title, but keep on with the stuff I have been playing, that is a plus. It is something I was previously worried before it was confirmed and having it is better than not having it for the transition for me.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Really if you think about this gen will blur into next regardless. Something like SoT will still be going strong way into next generation. This generation, last generation I think will evolve to the thing of the past as they are on PC.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Enough that if the PS5 supported PS1/2 id buy it at launch. Otherwise I can wait until it builds up some must play exclusives.

Joo

May 25, 2018
It's important at the start of the gen if I end up getting PS5 at launch, because there's quite many PS4 games I still want to play and of course it's nice to have them with possible upgrades.

Definitely not important at all after a year or so, I just don't play games multiple times and PS5 games are the reason I'm buying the whole thing.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
more and more each generation..

And now with digital libraries - Anyrhing less than 100% is bad

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Let's put it this way: If BC is easy and doesn't in any way mess with next gen, then fine. It's nice to pop in an old game without having to switch systems.
But i buy a next gen console for next gen games. I never have BC in mind when i buy a next gen console. I rarely return to older games. But wouldn't mind the option.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
I only care if the games are enhanced somehow. But I hope that Sony ends up supporting the old systems eventually and properly.