• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much do you pay in rent?

• Less than 500

Votes: 163 14.5%
  • 500-1000

Votes: 371 32.9%
  • 1001-1500

Votes: 264 23.4%
  • 1501-2000

Votes: 179 15.9%
  • 2001-2500

Votes: 71 6.3%
  • 2501-3000

Votes: 41 3.6%
  • 3001+

Votes: 39 3.5%

• Total voters

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
$450/month everything included (except cable) and one hell of a view...

pFukeRt.jpg

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
$1690 with utilities except cable/internet. It's a condo and fairly small (~650sq feet) but was completely redone before we moved in with wood floors, new appliances, new bathroom, everything. This price is unheard of here in Arlington, VA - at least in the neighborhood I'm in - so snatched it up quick. Previously I was paying $2025 with no utilities and that was going to go up to 2100 if I renewed.

Other amazing thing is parking is $200 for the year. Also unheard of - you're usually paying in the 100-150 a month range.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
2bed/2bath apartment in southern DE. $969/mo, nothing included besides trash pickup.

Too much for what we are getting, so we're looking at houses.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
With 6 roommates (including myself) and after utilities, I'm paying $570 a month (up from 540). I also live in the smallest room in the house with no privacy because one of my roommates has to go through my room to get to his room.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I payed 550€ in rent, so about 600$, for a big studio in the center of a medium city next to a train station 45 minutes away from Paris.

Now, i own that studio and i pay 450€ (so around 500$) monthly to reimburse the mortgage.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
555€ (615$), 30+ square meters (322+ square ft) so it's not big apartment, bedroom (there's an alcove where to put bed) and very small kitchen, my bathroom is bigger than kitchen, then there's decently sized closet. I live in a small city (30k population) and nowhere near the city centre. My apartment is too expensive for what it is, don't even have a balcony. The rent includes water but electricity is separate. Been living here for over 10 years, it's starting to be time for change.

Last edited:

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Around 1700€ without internet for a 120m² 4 room apartment close to Nürnberg. It ain't cheap, but it's a new house and it's well equipped.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
We split $1350 for 3 people and have to pay $450.

With the lease needing to renew, we now have to pay $1440 a month starting next year.

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just under £400 a month. 3 bedroom semi-detached house. Decent sized garden. In Scotland. It's shite but cheap!

Some of the prices in here are mental. Happy for everyone who's earning big to afford them though.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
If you're paying $1,500+ in rent, buy a house. You're paying the same price (maybe even cheaper) except you're investing. Rent is throwing money away every month.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you're paying $1,500+ in rent, buy a house. You're paying the same price (maybe even cheaper) except you're investing. Rent is throwing money away every month.
I think the main problem with that is people paying that much are probably sacrificing a lot to live in a good place in the first place, so they are probably scraping by and can't come anywhere near saving enough for a downpayment

Magni

For the same size place in the same neighborhood, it's much more expensive to buy than to rent unfortunately. That's including 20% down and a 30 year mortgage (ideally I'd do 15, even 20 is long enough).

Playing around with online calculators, to get a similar monthly payment I'd be limited to a 350k house on a 30 year deal. That doesn't even come close to buying anything here.

I'm still saving up (plan is to move in a couple of years to a new country, and then buy after being there for a year). We'll be going to the suburbs by that point, but we'll still need to figure out what the cost savings are. Not needing a car, insurance, gas, is pretty good for the budget.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I agree, however, there is an issue. A lot of new development requires a % down deposit. If you live in a place where a 2 bedroom 2 bath average around 600k then you're looking at 90k just for 15%. Someone who's 25-30 may not have that much cash on hand. Older buildings or houses have extra costs attached from fees to maintenance.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$858 for rent. After water/trash/whatever, plus a ridiculous mandatory cable package (how is this legal?), I pay $927 a month.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I pay around $1400/month, another $120 for parking, electric, and internet. It could be worse in Miami, almost impossible to find a 1BR/1BA below that without going deep in the suburbs.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I've posted before:

No rent. Just strata fees which equal to $616 CAD a month for my place. Other places range from $400 - $700.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017

I mean, where I'm from you'd need to save up for a deposit first and for many people that's just not possible whilst renting.
But you are talking about 1500+ so these people could rent cheaper and start saving.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

It's not as simple as you're making it out to be. This would depend on the person, but assuming they would invest any differences between down payment & closing costs + difference between rent and mortgage there could be one clearly better option. If it's not a large difference in terms of the actual return then maybe buying would be better if someone wasn't disciplined enough to save any differences and if they actually desired to live somewhere sort of long term (8+ years).

Mar 3, 2018
I consider myself lucky because I'm paying $700 CAD ($500 usd) living 5 minutes from downtown Toronto. I'm staying here for as long as I can, hopefully for 3/4 more years while I finish my masters etc. It's a three floor Victorian house and only I live in it with the landlord and his wife staying in their room here 2/3 times a week. They have another house in the suburbs. I'll never find anything like this ever again so I'm saving as much as I can for now, because when the day comes that I have to move I'll want to have down payment for a house. I look at rent anywhere else and what my friends are paying and makes me panic.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO

Sure, paying the same price until it's time to pay property taxes, lawn care, regular maintenance/upkeep, large infrequent repairs like the roof/HVAC/plumbing, or repairing/replacing appliances. Or any of the billion other random expenses that pop up when you own the house and can't call a landlord to come fix a thing.

Don't get me wrong, there are obviously benefits to owning a house but it's not as simple as "lol why pay rent when you can pay the same amount of mortgage instead", ignoring the need to save thousands of dollars for a down payment and all of the other costs of homeownership.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I split a 2.5 bedroom with my girlfriend, we pay 2150/month.

It's a steal tbh, I never want to move. If I tried to buy a house around here we'd be paying twice that for a mortgage and I'd liquidate my savings

Oct 27, 2017
Paying $950 before utilities to share a 2-bedroom in Oakland, CA. Nice part of Oakland, cheap for the location, but I'm paying nearly 40% of my net income per month in rent. Think I'm right at the poverty line for the Bay Area.

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017
1000usd including mortgage (roughly a 60/40 split between the rent and the mortgage), storage unit, fiber, Tv, landline, parking spot, garage.

4 room apartment with two bathrooms.

500 if you only count my half.

Sweden, in a city of about 40.000.

My half would be about 16% ish of my net income.

Feb 1, 2018
2100 for some bullshit 1 bedroom with no laundry, can't plug in my car, there's a gross tree that drops gross stinky fruits on our steps that track into the house, and the fridge stopped working 3 months into the lease. Management refuses to address any of these. They only care about collecting rent to satisfy the trust fund which owns the property.

It's literally a mortgage payment at this point, I can find better options. Pros of this place are that it's right off the main strip and walking distance to tons of bars, restaurants, stores, and culture. Also has 2.5 dedicated parking spots which is wild and unheard of for the area

Amakuni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$1300 2 bedroom apartment split between me and a roommate. Decently sized bedrooms each with full bathrooms. Chicago suburbs. Utilities not included.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
$3700, 2 BR. NYC area prices, so skewed a bit. Split it with gf... used to have a great view of the skyline, but exchanged it for more space...

Prices are getting absolutely ridiculous by us... feel like we're going to be priced out of the area real soon, but I don't want to go to the suburbs.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
$1600 including utilities. Someone I knew from when I was a kid bought a house and wanted to rent out the first floor and the upstairs. It was initially $1500 for the first floor but since I knew her she offered me $1600 and she would pay all the utilities. I couldn't pass it up so I jumped on that immediately. I pay $800 and my girlfriend pays the other half, and we have two bedrooms so it's nice. We live in central NJ.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit how are some of you paying such low rents in Europe? I'm paying 1060 Euros for a 71m2 flat in a suburbish area of a shitty city in Germany. And this doesn't include electricity and internet.