• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
So, I try to be one of those guys that care too much about their work. And it's usually not too hard with this job. But when I discover I fucked up, like I discovered a little bit ago. There was a button I'm supposed to press, almost every day. And I did not press the button. My heart fucking hurts.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
VENT RADIOACTIVE GAS?
"N-O"

VENTING PREVENTS EX-PLOS-ION.

( chuckling )
"OOH, THIS IS HARD."

Actual reply: all the dang time. I dwell on these things forever

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I care a great deal. I always worry in the back of my mind that I could get fired over something I overlook.

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
It depends, I'm a lab tech in a hospital so obviously I would like to never screw up but that just isn't possible.

When I first started I sucked at drawing blood. We are a smaller lab, so techs do have to draw blood. It really bothered me when I missed someone. I think it was more, this is something easy and I was trying to improve but I was still struggling. That's a very frustrating feeling. I eventually did get better but it was frustrating.

Luckily, most other mistakes I have made don't really effect patient care at all, so I just try to learn from them and not do them again.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I feel bad for a little while but usually just decide that what's done is done, and to learn for later.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
If I mess up at work, it throws me off for at least a couple hours. I start to worry about any other mistakes I may have made, and just generally beat myself up for being a dumbass.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
A pretty good amount, it'll at least ruin the day and possibly be in the back of my head for a few. Especially when it's something simple.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
A lot. If I get fired I would never be able to find another factory job that pays what I make now and I would lose my home

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
So, I try to be one of those guys that care too much about their work. And it's usually not too hard with this job. But when I discover I fucked up, like I discovered a little bit ago. There was a button I'm supposed to press, almost every day. And I did not press the button. My heart fucking hurts.
It's your job to press the button?
latest

Sorry, first thing I thought of.

I care a lot if I screw up at work. Usually any mistake I make can be fixed, but I hate making them. I'm in a leadership/supervisor role and I care a lot about doing a good job and I have a lot of pride in the area I'm responsible for. I work with people who have disabilities and I want the best for them.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Considering I hold a safety critical licence, I could potentially go to jail depending on how bad i fucked up. So, a lot.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to be that guy. I don't want to talk to my bosses any more than I need to.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

A fair bit, mainly because we are a small company of like 8 people. A fuckup means a lot more unneeded work for all of us.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
At first? Very much and all the time.

After getting laid off from multiple jobs through no fault of my own? Not one bit. Shit happens. I'll do my best to check, recheck and check again but nope.

Tremagus

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
If I realize I fucked up I try to think if it's something that was one time or if I was constantly doing it. I'll go back and double check hours of my work just to make sure this was a one time slip up or not. Keeping accurate records is important otherwise people won't be able to find important documents they'd need years from now just because I zoned out for a second.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
A lot.
Like I'm a ball of anxiety all day over just the potential I screw up.

That being said if what I screwed up affects a customer and they've been rude I would be lying if I said I cared at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Depends, is it on me or did it screw over my students. On me, w/e, hurt my students academically or emotionally I'll do w/e I can to fix it and apologies.

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
Depends on what the fuck up is related to. Screwed up something like productivity or efficiency, or wasted some time because I did something wrong administratively and have to redo some paperwork? I don't give a shit. Screwed up something that actively impacts a person, whether through safety, overwork and stress or whatever else? Yeah, then I'm super pissed at myself and concerned about the mistake.

For example, let's say I'm doing some paperwork for someone's promotion and I screw it up and they don't get the promotion. Or I forget to process (or even just get to it slowly because it gets buried in a pile of stuff) an acquisition request for some safety equipment. Yeah, I definitely care that I screwed up, because I have directly harmed someone's well being. That can have a significant impact on their personal life, or for something like safety equipment can literally cause harm to people. But if I screw up the paperwork on a quarterly report, or I run a shitty meeting and my boss gives me a blast of shit? Pfft, I don't care at all, in the grand scheme of things that doesn't matter at all.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I care way too fucking much. Its just bits and bytes. I care enough that when my team fucks up, or even when my company does silly things that make it more difficult for me to do my job , it upsets me.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
What happens now OP? What happens if you don't push the button? What happens? Is it serious?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It depends on who it affects or if anyone notices or not.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A lot.

My whole philosophy since I got into the corporate world has been "Don't be the guy that fucks up" It has worked very well for me so far.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It depends. Some mistakes are small and easily fixable, others can block people from getting their own work done and that's a big no-no.

We still try to not take it that seriously, though. For example, if someone breaks a build (as in, it literally can't compile), then they receive the "object of shame" that they keep until someone else breaks it (which one depends on the project, for example, my team had a present box, but another team has a stuffed unicorn they all call Uniy), but it's just a joke between coworkers. We understand that we all make mistakes.