• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much do you care about framerate?

• I don't because I can't see a difference.

Votes: 57 3.2%
  • I see a difference, but I don't care about it.

Votes: 217 12.1%
  • Neutral, as long as it's stable.

Votes: 938 52.3%
  • I've skipped games for running at 30FPS

Votes: 266 14.8%
  • Most of the time, I don't play 30FPS games.

Votes: 246 13.7%
  • If I can't set the framerate as high as I want, I'll skip it.

Votes: 70 3.9%

• Total voters

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Of course I prefer 60+, but 30 is fine in most cases. I'll even take significant drops if I'm still enjoying it (Sekiro on a base PS4, for example). I just don't really care that much anymore, but appreciate a nicely optimized game just the same.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
It bothers me when people talk about only "seeing" the difference between 30/60fps. What's more important is "feeling" the difference.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if there is age skew to this? I grew up playing games in the 80's and 90's. If the game is good, I don't give a rat's ass what the framerate is. If the game is awful but runs like butter, it's still an awful game. To those who argue that a game with awful fps/framedrops can't be good, you are buffoons. :)

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
It's not about "seeing a difference' but "feeling a difference"

With the Pro and X games allowing you to choose between a Graphics mode (High resolution, 30fps) vs a Performance mode(low resolution, 60fps) , I was hoping that more people would notice that. But I guess the reality is that no one bothers going to options and changing settings lol

Personally for me it's based on the genre. Turn Based RPG? 30fps is fine. Intense action game ? 60fps preferably otherwise it needs to be at least stable 30.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Performance is an incredibly important part of the experience. No, 30 fps isn't enough.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
If its solid I'm ok with 30 or 60 . If it's an option, 60 . Recently I tried Dauntless on xbox and PC and it's hard to even play on xbox

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When I had no idea what frame rates were, I used to think of any slowdown as free bullet-time.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I can deal with 30fps if it's stable, but 60fps (or higher) is my preference. I hope for a day where every game is at least 60fps.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't care at all about framerates or resolution.

I can even tolerate drops, today I was playing Pokemon OR and it sometimes feels like slow motion.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Preferably 60+. However I game at 4k with a 2080Ti, and even then there are times when games are slightly below 60. It's tolerable due to me playing on a gsync monitor. Usually dropping a setting or two from "Ultra" to "High" or whatever, is enough to push it back over 60.

By this point, 4k is the standard resolution for me on PC, and I'm used to it. Having 60 fps with that amount of visual clarity is truly astonishing. I'll tolerate 30 on consoles due to exclusives, but on PC it's a no go.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Having a Xbox one S with gamepass has forced me to accept sub 30 frame rates. I can see/feel the difference (and I find 60 objectively better) but it's never enough to make me double dip on te pc/not play the game at all.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
As long as it doesn't hurt my eyes or get in the way of the gameplay, I really don't care. Slideshows hurt, and games that are designed for 60fps but can't maintain it are bad too.

Design your game around 30fps and balance the combat around it and I've got no problem with it.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Locked 60 is my bare minimum for actual comfort. That said, I can handle 30 fps for some games (not all) if it's stable.

Spider-man was a unique exception. Really can't remember any game in which 30 has felt as alright as in Spider-man PS4.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer 60 FPS (not really big into higher than that atm) but I'll be fine with 30 and can even deal with lower than that if the game is worth it.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
While I like 60 fps, I don't notice it unless I'm told. It's the least important thing I look for in games.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I prefer 60 fps for every game, but I've played enough low-fps games to know that it's something I can tolerate if the game is good enough. I'll be a bit disappointed if a game I expected to run in 60fps didn't, but not enough to avoid it if I'm interested in it.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I won't refuse to play a game that's 30FPS on consoles, but locking it on PC is just absurd, and I especially can't bear the idea that 60 isn't objectively better than 30 at all times.

Harusame

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
I am totally satisfied with stable 30 FPS. Definitely not going to avoid a game just because it is only 30 FPS. While 60+ FPS is a benefit, it is not on my priority list when it comes to game buying decisions.

Jun 2, 2019
I'm fine with 20* fps as long as is stable. Not really comfortable with varying framerate even when it's over 30, moreso if it actively affects gameplay.

*The game has to be designed around it. Nintendo's N64 games are a good example of that. Super Mario 64 is still peak platforming gameplay and the game is capped at 20 fps.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I need 60. I can play below it but I won't like it too much. And chugging is near unforgivable. Need stability at least.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Certain genres are unplayable to me sub 60 (first person shooter, racing, fighting)
On the other hand, there's plenty genres which are perfectly fine at 30 (third person action, RPG, ...), provided you play with a controller, mouselook suffers even in those games at 30.

There's no one answer, and anyone insisting on one is probably wrong.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
A higher framerate is, in every situation, better. That said, a stable framerate is far more important to me. I'd rather play something locked at 30 than something with wild swings. I just wish games aimed for 60 more often.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
It depends if the game requires a good frame rate to function.
For racing game I would like to have 60fps, so is first person shooter since the precision is necessary. For Open world RPG or other types of RPG not so much, 30fps with some dips are fine. Ultimately frame rate is not the determining factor as long as it's functional for that particular game.

On a related note, resolution is also not a major concern for me as long as what is being offered captures the art style or atmosphere of the game.

I refuse to play bad games only.

Theonik

Oct 25, 2017
I get nausea if the framerate is not high or stable so I avoid games with poor performance like the plague.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I played games with terrible framerate... so as long as I love the game, I can live with a bad framerate.

Little King Story on PSVITA had terrible slowdown, and still I completed and enjoyed it.

Jun 7, 2018
Germany
I prefer playing games at 60fps minimum. It's often very hard for me to change from PC to console because I miss the smoothness and stability.

Last edited:

Doct0r

Jun 7, 2018
Durham, UK
I'm an absolute unashamed frame rate whore and despite having a very decent PC I always turn
down most of the graphics settings. Higher FPS just feel soooo much better.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I can definitely tell the difference.

I don't care though. If I'm invested in a game's story, or the game is giving me really interesting problems to solve and challenges to overcome, the framerate is absolutely the last thing on my mind. I'm just having fun playing the game at that point.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I played Driveclub (30fps) and loved it from beginning to end. Same for GT Sport (60fps). One day I was playing GT Sport and then changed to Driveclub and it was impossible to play 30fps right after playing a 60fps game of the same genre.

But hey, that is now how I play games. I am fine with 30 or 60. I dont even care much about unstable frame rate if it is not happening all the time. Would never skip a game for being 30fps. I currently have a Pro and no 4K TV so when i have the option (God of War for example) I prefer higher frame rate than a higher resolution (that will only mean I get less aliasing on my 1080p set...), but I believe once I get a 4K TV I will prefer higher resolution modes.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
I skipped the BF games on PS3 since I found the experience to be jarring in 30fps, especially coming from silky smooth 60fps experience that COD offered. Things have changed this gen though with BF games offering 60fps with top notch visuals. Same with destiny2, struggling to enjoy the aiming and shooting in it's current 30fps state!

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I see the difference, but I am perfectly fine with 30fps. In some games, like Uncharted, I prefer 30fps if that means prettier graphics. I played Rise of The Tomb Raider on the graphics mode. To much shimmering and unstability in the framerate mode.

I just platinumed Days Gone and that game has some stuttering at the later parts. Not gamebreaking for me, but I'd rather not have that (obviously).

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I have a 144Hz monitor with FreeSync, but anything above 40fps is good with me. 30fps is a joke and I wouldn't be able to stand playing at that frame rate. Thank God for PC's and choice.