• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much do you care about framerate?

• I don't because I can't see a difference.

Votes: 57 3.2%
  • I see a difference, but I don't care about it.

Votes: 217 12.1%
  • Neutral, as long as it's stable.

Votes: 938 52.3%
  • I've skipped games for running at 30FPS

Votes: 266 14.8%
  • Most of the time, I don't play 30FPS games.

Votes: 246 13.7%
  • If I can't set the framerate as high as I want, I'll skip it.

Votes: 70 3.9%

• Total voters

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure any of the available options are applicable. I definitely notice a difference, and I prefer 60 over 30, which is why every multiplat I buy is on PC. For console exclusives though that are at 30, I acclimate relatively quickly to the lower frame rate as long as it is stable. Unstable though becomes really annoying to play at times.

edit: When I say "60", I mean without any drops at all outside of cutscenes or non interactive parts.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Stable is more important for me. A game like how FFXV was initially with the frame pacing makes me nauseous.

Personally 60fps in certain games actually makes me a bit motion sick, due to it being harder for my brain to catch up with stuff on the screen. Big reason why I don't play FPSs. Fighting games or something like Pokemon B/W's battles don't trigger it, though.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
I cared more than I thought I do. Being a big Souls fan, the first thing I did when I got my hand-me-down PS4 was to buy Bloodborne, but that drop in framrate was so jarring to me that I couldn't really enjoy the game as much as I thought I would.

(Primarily a PC gamer)

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I'll play 30 if it's something I'm really interested in but with the size of my backlog I tend to be picky and stick to 60.

I've always suspected those who can't tell the difference are using TVs with motion smoothing features turned on which offers a similar experience to 60. If only input lag wasn't a thing.

edit- I tend to play games a couple after release on PC so I stay at 60 with the graphic settings as high as I want them.

Last edited:

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I much prefer 60+ over 30 and would happily sacrifice visuals/resolution to raise framerates up to that range, but if it's a game where I have no other choice like a Sony/Nintendo game I'll bear with it.

I'll sometimes wait out playing games if I'm reasonably confident that I'll be able to play it later at a higher framerate, like a PS4 version of The Last of Us or a PC version of Red Dead Redemption 2. I'm currently undecided about buying Death Stranding and The Last of Us 2 at release or just waiting because of this.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The poll options don't cover all possible cases. I haven't skipped games altogether for running at 30fps, however if the same game exists at 30fps and 60fps on different consoles, I will always go for 60fps.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I dont really care about 60 fps x 30fps, but what i cant stand is bad frame-pacing

This ruins everything

TheSego

Feb 20, 2019
Honestly I use to say I didn't care as long if it was stable. But after playing Destiny 2 at 60 and noticing how the game felt so much better to play I would like all my games at at least 60 fps now.

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It really depends on the game. If it's a turn based or other types of games that don't rely heavily on the framerate being high and stable, then 30 is fine. Anything like fighting games, action RPGs , driving etc 60 is pretty much mandatory for me.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Somewhere between the "Neutral" and "Skipped Games" options.
Mostly neutral as long as it's stable (and if I like the game enough it doesn't have to be stable), but some genres require it like fighting/racing games, which naturally get skipped if it's not available.

XuandeXun

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 16, 2019
If it has a reason to be under 60 FPS (retro, high-graphics on mobile, indie game with complicated engine such as Dominions), I'll put up with it.

Otherwise, give me 60+ FPS stable. Monster Hunter: World ruined the series for me, and one major reason for that was the prioritization of superfluous graphics over a good, stable framerate on consoles. Add in Denuvo on PC, and there isn't a version I'm willing to play.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I need it to be stable.

I highly prefer 144+FPS but I'll play something at 30fps as long as it's steady for the most part.

Something that bummed out recently is Orochi Warriors 3 only running at 60fps and then going down to 30 if it goes anything under 60. Stuff like that should only be optional. I rather just run it at 30 than have it fluctuate like that.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've skipped 30 FPS games before, and I've been known to be frustrated by most 60 FPS locked PC games that don't have a good reason to lock the framerate so low (I.E. Basically everything that isn't a fighting/2D sprite game), and to even delay playing a game for years until I can get an acceptable level of performance at the quality settings I want to play the game at. I've already waited a few years for a PC port of Final Fantasy 15. I can wait a few more until I can play the game at a constant 120/1440p.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
  • Turn-based RPGs aside, competitive genres like fighting games must run at a stable 60fps
  • Switch ports that run below the frame rate of the other versions or are more unstable in said frame rate than the other versions are deal-breakers
Otherwise, I'm cool with whatever as long as it's as stable as possible.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I prefer 60+ FPS but I don`t skip games just because they run below that framerate.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Solid 30fps is fine but Until Dawn taught me to not waste time on any game that can't hold 30fps.

It's why I skipped on BOTW for example, waiting for that remaster or Switch Pro patch.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I notice the difference between 30 and 60. I'm perfectly fine playing a solid 30 fps game, probably because most of the time, I don't play games which require a quick response.

If the framerate drops below 30 I do get annoyed but if it's not too frequent, I can bear with it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
144hz has ruined me
Framerate over graphics any day in general though. Used to run many games on lowest just to avoid the drops.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Enough to play every non-esclusive game on pc and to buy a ps4 pro for the few games who have performance mod.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
30 or 60 makes no difference to me. When games have graphical options I always play on resolution mode.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I care a lot, 30fps feels very sluggish to me and it greatly reduces my enjoyment of the game. I've been gaming on high end PC's for so many years now, I had 60fps when consoles were struggling to keep a solid 30fps, and now I'm gaming at 144fps whilst consoles are still struggling to maintain a solid 30fps and the difference is massive. I recently dropped Days Gone after a few hours because it felt so laggy, had it been on PC I probably would have finished it. A good example is Bloodborne which ran terribly with constant frame pacing issues and frame rate drops vs Dark Souls 3 on PC, I cannot express how much better DS3 felt at 60fps. I would rather play at 720p60 than 4k60.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I can't see resolution for shit. 1080p and 4K look identical to me unless they're right next to each other. I can tell 20 FPS vs. 30 vs. 40 etc., but I've met some people who truly could tell that Mario Kart 8 was running at 59 frames on Wii U.

That said, I don't particularly care in most cases as long as its stable. It's funny, AAA shooters and racing games don't bother me if they're sub 60, but Kirby on Switch running at 30 felt so sluggish for some reason. Maybe because the 3DS ones were so fast; but it hurt that game for me.

Nov 6, 2017
I am fine with a stable framerate. Don't need 60 and in most cases prefer a better image quality / more details than more frames. My 'no goes' are more like framepacing, tearing, bad AA and in most cases bad gameplay (decisions).

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I voted Neutral but my actual answer is: it's important for it to be as high as possible given the setup's capabilities. I ALWAYS prefer the highest stable framerate available to me because it does always positively affect gameplay the higher it goes.

For instance, if I'm playing on a console hooked up to a TV that caps at the industry standard 60Hz refresh rate, then to me, a stable, evenly paced 30fps is tolerable, but 60fps is preferred if it's achievable and available as a choice, but I do not enjoy fluctuating framerate without variable refresh rate to smooth out screen tearing. If I'm playing on a capable PC and a variable refresh rate monitor, then I will make settings sacrifices to ensure any framerate that stays at or above 60fps, and if it's a competitive game with uncapped framerate capabilities,I will prioritize maxing framerate out.

It's important but I scale my expectations to the hardware available. I always prefer higher as long as it can be delivered without severe frame pacing issues or screen tearing, but I understand that certain hardware configs have strict limits.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You got two poll options that basically say the same thing.

I prefer 60 FPS, but can tolerate 30 FPS. I put it over resolution any day. The only exception to this was with Nioh 2's alpha where I chose a resolution mode over performance because the 720p in that game looked too atrocious for some reason.

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Don't care. Some of the most fun I had in multiplayer is when the framerate dropped so hard and everything is in slow motion.

Like in perfect dark, when u play with bots and throw a shitload of N-bombs and start puching anyone nearby.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I am fine as long as it's stable. If you start dipping below 30 it starts to get frustrating with every frame you go down. 60 FPS is preferable. If I understand Hz correctly (I don't) I haven't played on a screen that'll process anything above that. I'd love to see a 144hz screen.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I can handle 30fps easier on a console than I can on a PC.

Not sure if it's a technical thing or a psychological thing but 30fps on a PC feels slower than 30fps on a console.

All I ask for is 60fps, fuck fidelity, 60fps ages better.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Best games of every generation have been 30fps on console. (Besides racing/sports games)

I love 60+ FPS when it's stable, but I don't ever expect it unless it's COD.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
At one time I boycotted everything that ran at 30fps and complained loudly and took the vote with your wallet stance.

It was not wise.

I missed sooo many great games many of you now think are classics.

Today I just try to avoid fast games that runs at 30fps, racers and fast action games. Slow games are okay at 30fps imo even though the stutter at sideway camera movements really annoys me.

RDR2 was fantastic at 30fps, my GOTY.
God of War was also fantastic at 30fps even though it had lots of action, Kratos weight and slower movements made it okay.
But the speedier Spider-Man got a no-no from me, I'm saving that for PS5.
I had big issues with Samus Returns as well, 30fps in a fast side-scroller wasn't great.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
This year I set up a game for a family member's PC, it's ok with a gtx 760, the game ran badly to me, in the 30s. I made sure they didn't see the game running on my system because I knew it would ruin the game for them if they had to go back to their system.

T8aJHIX.jpg

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's the same as with low resolution. It can be jarring at first, but after a few minutes I've adapted to it and it's no longer an issue.

Nemesis-T Type

Alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
People are too picky

I remember playing goldeneye 007 on Nintendo 64 with 4 player split screen and with explosions going off and crazy stuff on the screen the frame rate would be under 10 but still had heaps of fun