• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just checked and it was way more than I thought.

I don't know how I feel about that. She was very happy, though, so I guess that's what really counts.

It was less than a 1k pounds for those who are interested in keeping score.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I think ~$350-500 for my engagement ring and wedding ring.
He got neither. We ain't big on rings. I don't even wear mine. lol

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I will marry my girlfriend one day, but I do know I won't be spending multiple months salary on an engagement ring. And then you're supposed to buy wedding rings too? Insanity.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2 grand, was the ring she wanted, wears it every day, we're still married and it's long been paid off so it's all good.

The price "debate" is stupid beyond the rule of just getting the woman the ring she wants, that's most important thing IMO. Some women want more expensive rings, others are fine with cheaper ones, just don't make the mistake of getting her something she doesn't like/want.

Wedding band she actually bought and I think that was $700. My wedding band is my grandfathers (circa 1952) and my grandma spent $100 on getting it enlarged for me. He died when I was a baby so it's pretty special, he was a great guy who died too young.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
My SO would not even want to keep a ring that's over 200 bucks. She doesn't wear or like jewelry and she'd be going mad at the idea of dropping thousands on such an absolutely dumb thing.

She also actively despises the stereotypical sexist male/female traditions that have permeated marriage for generations. God, she's amazing.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
$450-500-ish? And it's serving as my wedding ring as well, I'm not really into jewelry and mostly got it so I'd have something to show the family (I can hear them going "whaaaat, you didn't even get a riiiing?!", especially because we're already doing a simple courthouse marriage). It's a lab grown pink sapphire so hopefully less harmful than diamonds. I asked if he wanted a ring or anything and he said no.

I think ~$350-500 for my engagement ring and wedding ring.
He got neither. We ain't big on rings. I don't even wear mine. lol

Basically this lol.

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
I paid 1500€ for her engagement ring, then 800€ for her wedding ring and 400€ for my wedding ring. I didn't have any issue with paying this amount. She thought it was a bit expensive, but we don't buy much things. So it's not like we had to cancel some other purchases to be able to buy these rings.

Last edited:

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
OP for me it depends on how much you and her (she) make as a couple (her).

For example if your gf makes:
$1,000 a year. You get her a $300 ring.
$10,000 a year. You get her a $3000 ring.
$100,000 a year. You get her a $30000 ring.
$1,000,000 a year. You get her a $300,000 ring.

The last one is ludicrous but you get my idea. That's what I did with my wife.

This just sounds like gibberish to me. Whether I make a thousand or a million a month, i'll still know the value of a single dollar/euro.
Me and my SO will both be earning decent paychecks (physicians) but there is zero chance that we're going to up our budget for something that is ultimately a completely vapid and useless purchase fueled solely by marketing and (sexist) 'tradition'.

This thread made me once again realize what an absolute treasure of a woman I get to share my life with. What 'seals our love' isn't a piece of stone. It will be our time spent together, our to-be children, our shared experiences, the home we both share and the memories we make. I'd rather spend money on those things, regardless of how much money I have to throw around.

Acheteedo

Oct 27, 2017
£1,500 for a custom designed 3D printed platinum ring with a green sapphire. She loves it, so it was definitely worth it.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
$65 back in 1996. Wedding bands were just your basic ones for both of us, $90 each. We were young, didn't really want to spend a lot on a ring. We used the savings to help furnish our first rental home. My wife was still in high school, and I had just graduated. We didn't have much. Fast forward to a few years ago. I surprised her for our 20th with a rose gold ring with black diamonds. She LOVES it.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019

All of them are ludicrous. It would make more sense if you take a 0 away.

A third of your YEARLY income for a ring?

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't want to buy an expensive one, but my SO wants one.

I'm fucked either way hahahah

Degenerate

Nov 17, 2018
Depends on where youre going to propose as well. If youre going to propose in a shit place you need a giga-ring to make up for it. I proposed on a sidewalk and as soon as I got down on one knee she said "oh fuck no" and roundhouse kicked me into oncoming traffic.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

My wife would have thought I'd gone fucking bonkers if I got her or suggested a $15,000 ring lmao. Like holy shiiiiit.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not one for traditions (especially fairly recent ones manufactured by diamond companies and blindly bought up by the public), and my wife didn't care about an engagement ring so I never got one (nor could I afford one at the time). For our wedding bands she bought some for a good price when she visited Iran.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My SO would not even want to keep a ring that's over 200 bucks. She doesn't wear or like jewelry and she'd be going mad at the idea of dropping thousands on such an absolutely dumb thing.

She also actively despises the stereotypical sexist male/female traditions that have permeated marriage for generations. God, she's amazing.
Cool girl.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
$700 because I'm not fucking insane and neither is she.

Oct 30, 2017
Japan
Just spent approx $3200 USD (after tax) on one. Initially I was going to get something for around $2400ish, but decided to request a custom ring setting from company that designs as well as handcrafts the ring (Jannpaul).

It's mostly a surprise and she's never requested anything. The amount is just my own madness rather than outside influences. Just wanted get her something she'll really treasure. Mainly to symbolize Japan (where we met - with a cherry blossom flower) and also her birthstone (blue sapphires). Of course, beyond engagement I'll make sure to get much cheaper bands and a scaled back wedding haha (something she'd most definitely prefer anyway).

It's already paid off which is nice. If it meant going into debt or buying it on credit I would have most definitely have held back. I also wouldn't have spent that much on just a diamond and a plain band.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

You're insane.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
if i get married someday and that person isn't ok with a ring on the cheaper side idk if i could go through with it

the fact that some people spend thousands of dollars on a ring is insane to me

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, isnt 3x monthly salary pretty common? Doesnt look that crazy to me, although I'm not sure why he's basing it on what she makes.
I think it's pretty old and outdated. Or I've dated very different sort of girls. Every girl I've dated in my life would have likely fucking murdered me if I spent that much on a ring.

PipefishUK

Oct 25, 2017
I paid £1,400 ($1,770 US). It wasn't about the money though, it was just a nice ring that I knew she'd like.

I couldn't have gone above about £1,800. But if I'd seen the same ring and it was £500 I still would have got it and I know she'd still have liked it just as much.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Haha literally published like an hour ago:

Pricey engagement rings a no-go for younger Americans

The old theory on engagement ring spending is that the cost should be equal to three months' gross salary – but younger Americans may be planning to rewrite that rule.

While nearly one-quarter of Generation Z and millennials say they don't ever plan on getting married, the ones that do are not expecting to spend too much on an engagement ring, according to a new study from TD Ameritrade.

While the average engagement ring costs around $5,000, the majority of younger Americans expect to spend less than $3,000.

Among Generation Z, 11 percent of respondents said a ring should cost less than $100, while 43 percent said it should cost under $1,000. Only 5 percent said an engagement ring should cost between $5,000 and $10,000.

For millennials, the highest number of respondents placed the ideal price between $100 and $999 (31 percent), while the next highest range was between $1,000 and $2,499 (30 percent). That compares with their parents – 36 percent of whom cited costs between $1,000 and $2,499, while 27 percent opted for $2,500 and $10,000.

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
About £250 aged 23 on a salary of ~£25K, as far as I remember. It's been a while.

Last edited:

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
$50 custom Etsy ring. She loved it

Expensive rings are the biggest con of all time

Yep, got my fiancee an $80 Moissanite ring and she absolutely loves it.

ytMQa0f_d.jpg

Last edited:

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
For her ring?
$3500.

Probably most expensive thing I had ever bought at the time.

Haven't spend that amount of money on jewelry since.

AliasGreed

Oct 31, 2017
All of them are ludicrous. It would make more sense if you take a 0 away.

A third of your YEARLY income for a ring?

I'm the one that doesn't understand everyone else's thinking. If my wife worked hard her entire life and makes a shitload of money she deserves a ring that shows how hard she's work to achieve her goals and finincial success. From my point of you everyone saying I'm crazy are the crazy ones.

I gave my wife a ring that is a one time thing that shows how hard she's work in her life to achieve her goals and finincial success. We weren't financially burdened so I made it happen.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017

sureJan.gif

Sounds like math for suckers. So if I'm paying 30k for a ring, what's the wedding budget "supposed" to be? 250k?

bulletbill10

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was 18 and spent 129 dollars, plus 50 dollars for insurance. Lol. She still wears it over a decade later though. The insurance also wound up paying off when the diamond needed to be replaced.

Nov 23, 2017
Paid around 1500 for two custom made Kingdom Hearts wayfinder rings. Blue for me and orange for her. They're made out of white gold and they look pretty nice.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I'm the one that doesn't understand everyone else's thinking. If my wife worked hard her entire life and makes a shitload of money she deserves a ring that shows how hard she's work to achieve her goals and finincial success. From my point of you everyone saying I'm crazy are the crazy ones.

I gave my wife a ring that is a one time thing that shows how hard she's work in her life to achieve her goals and finincial success. We weren't financially burdened so I made it happen.

The thing is that 100k is still a normal income, while a 30k ring is something Hollywood stars wear on the red carpet at the Oscars.

How can you leave the house with a small fortune on your finger and not freak out?

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Cost is so relative I'm not sure how any of this is helpful. 10k means drastically differnet things to people depending on how much money the do or do not have. Percentage of yearly salary would probably be more helpful.