• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
3500$

Design was similar to one with blue sapphires that we had seen in a shop window for years while we were dating. Shop closed so I tried to go do a custom one that was similar to that one.

I had been co-oping/interning for a while in college and that helped cover it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Shopping as we speak but should land in the £3,500 region from those I've seen and liked.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
$8K. And I'm fortunate that a relative is a jeweler. Got a great deal on the stone, which is where all of the money really goes. My wife loved it. Can't believe it worked out so well.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not engaged yet but there's no way I'd spend anything even close to £1000. A couple hundred at most, stupid expensive rings are a complete joke. It's like the old saying goes, "it's the thought that counts"

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
$750 for a 1.18ct princess cut moissanite. Everyone tells her how amazing it looks. She thought it was a $3000 diamond ring until I told her it was moissanite

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I think it cost around $10k. Divorced now and still making the payments lol.....FML

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
About 5100. And we are spending a shit ton on the wedding and honeymoon. Not super thrilled about it all but I am super thrilled to be marrying the love of my life.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
About $400 for the engagement ring and the wedding band together. The wife (and I) hate the diamond industry, and she's a scientist, so I got her a lab created emerald solitaire on a white gold band with small CZ on the band. She loves it.

God I love that woman

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
There is a platinum ring that belonged to my late grandfather that no one has claimed yet, so I guess if I do end up getting engaged, I'll just take it for myself.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Around $300. She loves it, so I'm glad I didn't spend a few months salary on it. Instead I took her to Tokyo and proposed at a private Onsen. I still don't know what we'll do for wedding bands.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't spend a huge amount. Biggest regret was buying one with a diamond, though. I wish I had been more enlightened.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
I wouldn't marry anyone who "expected" me to spend some ridiculous amount of money on a ring or a wedding. Buying something big and expensive because you want to or can afford it is fine. I also think spending whatever is doable/affordable for you is fine. Love shouldn't require an expensive down payment. I spent $1.2k on my wife's ring. I had to finance it at the time but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. We've been married 11 years and it's holding up just fine.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Got a dual set of engagement ring + wedding band for $1200. Silver with black sapphires, was a great deal and it looks really unique - she gets tons of compliments on it even today.

Edit: This one, except with a huge black sapphire main stone instead of the diamond.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Around $300. She loves it, so I'm glad I didn't spend a few months salary on it. Instead I took her to Tokyo and proposed at a private Onsen. I still don't know what we'll do for wedding bands.
Wedding bands are often cheaper than engagement rings because their stones are smaller.

Some places also do custom work, so if you see a picture of a ring design that you like, you can show it to the jeweler and they can either bring out something similar or make a ring of that design for you.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
About £4,000, I think. Except a car or a house, it was the most expensive thing I'd ever bought at the time. In fact, it might still be. I remember I had to ask my sister-in-law to pick it up from the jeweller and smuggle it home for me, because there's no way I could have got it through the door after work without my then-fiancee noticing. To say I was stressed about the sister-in-law dropping it on the train or something would be putting it mildly.

We saved on the actual wedding bands, though. Hers is just a plain silver ring (no stone) and mine is just a plain platinum one. I think they were about £500 for both. Mine is scratched to hell now though. I should probably clean it.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus I paid a lot more than you all. Close to 13k

And I was just speaking to my department head and she said she was going to buy her son the engagement ring and the girl is expecting a 50k ring... Which she'll get.

Oh well
Yeah.. I'm not spending tens of thousands of dollars on something that literally does nothing but look shiny. That money is better spent, or saved elsewhere... Thankfully, my wife didnt care that much either.

On topic, spent around 1k because I loved the design. Also, we went straight to wedding bands and skipped engagement rings.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I don't remember but it has for four main diamonds and smaller diamonds around the ring. I really wanted to get her something that sparkles.

AliasGreed

Oct 31, 2017
My gf said she'd probably like a ring at the $1k-$2k range, but I dunno. Of what I've loosely looked at, one of the best rings I've found (to her tastes - she likes Rose Gold) is only $650. There's another nice one I found in the same style, but there are more diamonds on it, so the price jumps to $1800.

For married (or divorced) people on here curious how much you spent, and maybe what type of ring you bought.

OP for me it depends on how much you and her (she) make as a couple (her).

For example if your gf makes:
$1,000 a year. You get her a $300 ring.
$10,000 a year. You get her a $3000 ring.
$100,000 a year. You get her a $30000 ring.
$1,000,000 a year. You get her a $300,000 ring.

The last one is ludicrous but you get my idea. That's what I did with my wife.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't bought one yet but of course I'll aim for as cheap as possible because the rings are absolutely pointless. Maximum budget £50. Would rather spend half of that.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I spent way way less than people here are supposed to - and a lot less than a lot of people in this thread (not throwing shade or anything).
OTOH, I spent months and months looking for something that would please her and it paid off.

Think about your priorities, hers & your income - no use getting broke over a ring.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Around $500. Been married gor 10 years and neither of us really liked wearing rings so they havn't been worn in like 9 years.

Hell Shinobi

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing. My entire wedding was 120€ we signed some papers and went to lunch together.

Since most marriages end in divorce why spend much?

This was 10 years ago, but we are together for 17 years now I think!

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
$100 on Amazon. It was a discounted ring, too (from $240).

Then again, she said she'd rather have a cheap ring than something expensive. She still grills me for buying it on Amazon instead of a store like normal people, though, after almost 6 years of marriage.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
I think it was like $150. I dunno. It was handmade by an art postgrad in Hong Kong. She loves it.

If someone said "yeah I'm gonna be expecting a ring in such and such price range at least" then I'd be questioning my decision to marry her.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Fucking hell at some of those prices you people spend. That is a insane amount for a piece of metal and (commonly) a worthless rock!

If a girl I wanna marry demands a ring or whatever little bullshit above 100-200 euros, she's getting dumped or she can pay for the fucking thing herself and break some gender norms.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
First engagement a few hundred bucks. Second, and successful, was like $4k cash. Maybe there's a lesson there.

DrBillRiverman

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
Just shy of 2k
Very happy with the ring, but I did have to put it on finance to pay it all off.
It was a very good deal though, no interest so just paid off the final payment and alls done.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
€30 for my wedding ring, €200 for hers, and another €150 or so for the engagement ring. So all in all not more than €500 in total, but honestly even that's more than I'd like. The whole concept of wedding rings are silly. As if that stops people from cheating on one another, or as if all love of your significant other vanishes if you take off the ring. I mean, if you want to buy jewelry for your spouse as a gift, that's a perfectly good thing to do, but nowadays people expect rings, and some even demand it. There are a few out there who even won't accept rings at all if they cost less than a certain ridiculous amount. Luckily I didn't end up with one of those people, but some aren't as lucky.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
About £60-70 for a vintage ring. I actually can't remember how much. She loved it.

We were both studying at the time so there was no money but even if there was I probably wouldn't have spent much more.

I think mine was ~2k(?), but he custom designed it. He also went with a white sapphire (my birthstone) out of consideration for the issues with diamonds. It all depends on your fiances/feelings about the whole ring thing, but if you're game and can afford it, 1-2k seems like an average I see a lot (especially if you personalize it design-wise or choose alternative stones). Maybe do the style you found that you liked and other clear/white alternative stones (keeping it in the 1k range)?

Last edited:

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
$50 custom Etsy ring. She loved it

Expensive rings are the biggest con of all time
athlyoasz9z21.png