• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much board do you charge/pay?

• Zero

• £10pw

• £20pw

• £30pw

• £40+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Trying to get a consensus on what the average board people are charging or paying.

I currently charge £20 per week (bed, electricity, 3 meals per day, WiFi, washed clothing, water etc....)to my child of 19. Who works full time.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
When I was living with my parents at their home - it was 0%

Now that they are living with me at my home lol

(Indian families live together)

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I live with my parents still (24) and they say at least that they won't charge me rent or any bills ever but I do tend to help out by paying certain things here or there or any emergency that comes up. Or like when we go food shopping I get the the "fun" stuff like ice cream or pay for take out.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
2 all but ghost houses between my divorced parents who know id live at the other house so effective $0 as long as I pay for my stuff

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
My children are super young, but I plan to send them to college at 18 and I'll pay for that. Hopefully they focus on internships in high school/college that bolster acceptances/resumes as opposed to making a bit of cash.

That's... the plan, at least.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
My parents never charged me anything for living at home.

I also moved out sooner than all of my friends who did pay their parents an amount of money to live at home, and was much better prepared to move out when I did.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I moved back home in ~2008 after going broke living on my own after college, and lived with my folks for a little over a year. At the time, I paid them $250/mo, which was a little more than half of what my rent was prior to that, but also no other expenses. My parents had an in-law suite they added to their house for my grandmother to live there (who died), and so I had my own fridge/food/toiletries, etc, but they paid for utilities for the whole house. Helped me get my shit together financially, and I got a new job at the same time so I was able to move out again about a 16mos later (actually bought a house because the market collapsed, which I sold last year).

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They let me live at home for free for two years after college. I was willing to find my own place to stay, but they insisted on me living with them so that I could save money. It was actually very helpful for my finances even though it sucked for my social life. In hindsight, it was a really good decision financially, but kind of bad for my maturity.

Still, if they ever needed to live with me later on due to their old age, it would be free for them too. That also goes for my future in-laws - I wouldn't charge them anything.

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
I paid 20% of my income to my parents once I started to work. It felt fair to me as my parents never had any money to spend for themselves when me and my siblings were growing up.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I lived with my in-laws for a while. I paid wayyy too much and struggled to save. Eventually got out thank fuck

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
I paid my mom 200 dollars (178 euros) per month for the 6 months I lived with her as an adult. This was a few years ago.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Not every parent is wealthy and can afford to let their kids continue to be financially dependant on them indefinitely.
There are many different things your kids can do to help support the family if they stay at home. Charging rent just seems kinda...weird? It's not like my dad's mortgage payment is less if I move out

Magic

Oct 29, 2017
If you're an adult living at your parents and not paying rent then you need to take a look at yourself...

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
As soon as I graduated high school my parents charged me $200 a month for rent back in 1993. I paid for a month then couldn't afford the next month's rent so they took a $350 stereo receiver I got for Xmas instead. I moved out the following month.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
My son is way to young for rent, but I'd have mixed thoughts about charging him to live here. I get the intent, but if he's struggling I don't want to pile on. I intend for my home to always be a place where he is welcome.

Oct 25, 2017
My parents didn't charge me, but I was out of the house within six months of graduation.

I don't see any issue with someone charging their adult kids something.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
There are many different things your kids can do to help support the family if they stay at home. Charging rent just seems kinda...weird? It's not like my dad's mortgage payment is less if I move out

I don't see how it is weird. It's a good education about responsibility and having to pay for things on a weekly/monthly basis. Especially in a situation where the adult living with you is working full-time. You're right that there are other ways than just straight paying. But I still think it's logical for someone living at their parent's place to pay for rent when they h ave a stable source of income. And if they don't have a stable source of income, and are not full time at school ... well they should find a stable source of income.

It's still much, much lower than what you'd pay yourself for an apartment. Speaking from a personal standpoint, if I hadn't had this transition period I most likely would have fucked up my arrival living alone. Because when I started making money, I just spent everything. One day my mom just asked me if I would mind paying her X amount per month because rent/groceries are expensive. I started doing so and did for years before leaving. When i started my career and making good money, I just naturally started to treat it more like a "living with a roommate" thing and paid for my own groceries + half the rent. She never asked me for that, but it just felt like the right thing to do.

It didn't make my home any less welcoming or feeling like a home. I just helped my mom.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I think I was paying $100 a month in the year or so after I graduated college and before I moved out. At the time it was sprung on me I was kind of surprised but didn't fight it. Wasn't until much later that I realized this was a common thing.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I moved out willingly at 18. Now I'm 23 and living with my parents again. They don't make me pay rent, thankfully. I do help buy groceries and shit of course.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Not every parent is wealthy and can afford to let their kids continue to be 100% financially dependant on them indefinitely.
I agree with this post.

Not everyone has the same situation or is fortunate enough that they can afford that luxury. You might be living with a single mother who struggled to just raise your ass for 18 years and now she is expecting and deserving a little help if you are still at home.

gillian03

Oct 28, 2017
When I lived with mom it was 600 bucks for room. 50 bucks for a ATT phone plan. 70 bucks for car insurance.

I miss homecooking. Like, I can cook what I like. But mom does it so much better.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Are you going to buy the PS5 with it?

I would.
Then charge to use it. What a profit you'd make.

My mum never charged me for rent/board but I did help out around the house, buy stuff for the house, pay for her mobile phone contract (I got it her an iPhone as a surprise gift so couldn't really go SURPRISE now you pay for it)

When I have kids, got my first on due in October, I don't think I'll charge them as long as they contribute in some way.
We've decided we will save a bit of £ in an account each month to help them find their feet when the time comes. Thankfully we are in a position to do that income wise.

Last edited:

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Moved out after high school. I came back for college summers, but they didn't charge me rent luckily.

My brother who lived with them after graduating college on the other hand had to pay rent. My parents just kept it stashed away and gave it back to him once he moved out though.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I actually paid more for my parent's bills and stuff after I moved out of the house 7 years ago, mainly because the job I had back in my hometown didn't make shit and my new job back then paid more. I used to chip in $500 per month when I lived with them but after, total expenses per month were about $1050+ or so including power, gas, internet, phone, and mortgage.

I had to live in shitty $1000 apartments in SF (which gets you a really sad ass apartment) but recently my sister and I finished helping out with paying off all of the mortgage, so now I'm looking to move into something nicer.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
250 euro's per month. I pay for groceries and internet. It will be a while until I get my own place since I am picky on the energy label of residences, but my mum ensures that I am properly fed after working long hours.

OP
OP
Stacey

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Seems a lot of parents are quite generous to their working offspring.

You bring them into the world, clothe them, feed them, keep them safe....................and let them live rent free when in employed adulthood.