• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Will you see family and friends you haven't in person since last March once they are vaccinated as well? Will you dine at a restaurant or go to a bar? Will you take a chance and travel once more of the public has the vaccine, so after the later summer? Will you feel better about going to a sporting event or concert, once those start up again?

EDIT: I meant to originally have in this post that the vaccine does not automatically make you immune to the virus. You can still catch it, though you won't run the risk of ending up in the hospital or die like how it is without the vaccine, and even if you are asymptomatic you could still transmit it. So what will you be doing within reason and what you feel safe with as the vaccine gets distributed this summer.

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly my life will not change and it really hasn't since COVID started either. I go to work come home stare at my computer screen for a few hours go to bed and repeat. I don't really go anywhere or do anything anyways.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
I'm probably in one of the last groups that is going to be vaccinated (34, no comorbidities, non-essential), so it will probably be toward the end, but even still, I'm waiting until they get through everyone's required shots plus at least a week if not 2 before attempting to have like a party or something.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Short term: Nothing, because vaccines won't solve everything overnight.
Medium term: So many movies at the cinema. Retro nights, blockbusters, even shitty VOD titles.

Cousin From Boston

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Nov 21, 2017
Get my second shot in a couple weeks, but the rest of my family haven't been vaccinated yet. Not doing anything that could put them at risk, so I'll be going to work, getting curbside everything, and generally staying distanced until we're all good to go.

OP
OP
Keywork

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Not much since a vaccine won't mean everything is suddenly allowed again.
Short term: Nothing, because vaccines won't solve everything overnight.
Medium term: So many movies at the cinema. Retro nights, blockbusters, even shitty VOD titles.

My first draft of the thread did ask "within reason". I'm probably still going to mask in places like the grocery store, mall, or anywhere else social distancing hasn't been possible depending on when you go as the vaccine doesn't prevent you even getting the virus, it will just not send you to the hospital or kill you. Not to mention I have a lung disease as is, so even a mild case can make me have a bad time (luckily not many in my disease population have had to go to the hospital, even less have become serious or died, and we've really been able to recover at home.)

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
My parents are ""waiting"" to get vaccinated, and my partner lives on the other side of the currently-closed US/Canadian border. So, even when I get vaccinated, nothing would change for me.

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
I haven't seen my SO in over a year, so that will likely be my top priority once traveling is safe again.

That's just tragical, I hope you get to see your partner real soon.

Personally all I really want is to see my closest friends and family again. My sister and several of my friends have had babies I haven't even seen yet, let alone hold them or show them the support we received when our daughter was born (we had a rough first three months). It just feels really shitty to not be able to do the same.

Going to concerts and festivals used to be something we enjoyed, but I honestly haven't really missed that as much as I expected.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The vaccine doesn't prevent you from carrying/spreading it, at least from what we know. So I won't be going out to party anytime soon after I get vaccinated. Let the world catch up first, I can wait.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fully vaccinated and it doesn't mean shit to me until my family and friends get vaccinated. As far as I know, it's inconclusive as to whether you'll still be a carrier or not, and last I heard you can be. So I got both my shots, but I'm still wearing a mask and distancing because I'm not trying to get my family, friends, fiance, etc sick.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I desperately want to travel again. I'm usually a very optimistic person, probably to a fault, but not being able to travel over the past year and having to cancel two trips I was really looking forward to (one to Iceland, another a road trip across the South West US) had me feeling down for quite awhile.

I'm a teacher, and I'm hoping I can get vaccinated before summer. Being in Texas though, I'm very skeptical that that will actually happen.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Vaccinated now. No change until my SO gets it. Even then I have to think about people who I will interact with at work.

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
First shot in two weeks. After my 2nd shot I'll be planning a week long road trip with my SO to get away for a bit.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
When all my friends and family are vaccinated I'm definitely gonna hang out and visit all of them. When numbers drop drastically I assume we'll go to restaurants. Several of them are quite desperate to do so. And depending on how things go, I know a ton of us want to go to conventions again. It's Katsucon weekend right now, and a lot of us are reminiscing about last year, as it's the last time most of us saw each other and got to hang out.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
There's just not enough information and there's so many aspects you gotta worry about - even if you are vaccinated, you could still be a carrier, there could be a strain that could cause issues despite having some immunity, etc

The fact that some vaccines arent 100%

Regardless, I dont think my life will be any different than it is now, I'm likely gonna be wearing a mask still.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
No difference because I didnt do anything or go anywhere before the pandemic anyways.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I never really went to many public events before this but will likely never go to one again. Will stay out of restaurants and traveling for this year at a minimum. I might consider seeing family towards the end of the year.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be watching how all the I CAN'T WAIT TO DO STUFF AGAIN :D people fare before I risk my own personal posterior.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Honestly my life will not change and it really hasn't since COVID started either. I go to work come home stare at my computer screen for a few hours go to bed and repeat. I don't really go anywhere or do anything anyways.
^, minus the going to work part. (I/m disabled.)

Admittedly, though, this routine would change quite a bit if I can ever manage to get it through to my state that I am indeed disabled and am in desperate need of the help that comes with approval. Always hopeful, ever cynical.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
The vaccine isn't a free pass. It protects you, but it's unknown whether it prevents infection or just symptoms; if the latter, you can still be an asymptomatic carrier, meaning you can still spread the pandemic. And since it's unknown, you need to err on the side of caution. You still need to take all the same precautions: wear a mask, social distance, no unnecessary travel or gatherings.

Wait for the numbers to go down before changing your behavior, y'all.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Nothing different until the restrictions are lowered for everyone. I've given myself a greater level of protection but not immunity, but only I know that and I would just be a complete asshole to go around strangers not wearing a mask and disrespecting social distancing policies.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Won't change my life much short term tbh. Entertainment and hospitality activities are still closed and masks are a must. The only thing it changes for me is that I won't have to worry about catching the virus. Don't think life will get back to 2019 levels till next year.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
We are entering a most dangerous time in this covid pandemics. As more people get vaccine, they will feel less responsibility to act more careful. They will become more reckless and party and potentially spread the virus as asymptomatic carriers. People who are in the back of the line for the vaccine must stay vigilant because nobody else will care about your wellbeing. They will not understand why you do not want to hang out because they got the vaccine and you have not yet.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd still be careful because some of the people I know won't be getting vaccinated. Some by choice, some not.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing really, much like before COVID happened.

Hopefully be in a full theater and not be dread, I guess. I just wanna see a big blockbuster film with a bunch of nerds.

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
It's important to recognize that having the vaccine doesn't make you immortal. You can still catch COVID if you've been vaccinated (though it's way less likely). So don't go hanging around people with confirmed cases.

It also doesn't mean you can't carry the virus. It can easily be on your hands, on your clothes, in your nasal cavities, etc. That means you can still spread the virus, even if you're vaccinated.

That being said... I'm on my first phase of the vaccine. I'll get round two in a few weeks.

Honestly, I don't plan on changing my lifestyle much. Until the majority of the population is vaccinated, there's not much point in branching out, because of the above-mentioned stipulations.

SelfCon

Oct 28, 2017
I'm fully vaccinated and still taking the same precautions as before. Hoping to travel, dine out, and see movies again sometime in 2022.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to go to a lot more concerts and try to hang out with friends more. I took all of it for granted before COVID.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
my 2nd shot is on the 19th and my wife's 2nd is in March.

we have two unvaccinated kids in the house under the age of 7, so pretty much nothing will change until there's more science on how we're gonna handle the kid situation and this thing

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I'll likely not be getting it until September by which point hopefully a lot of people have it already. My parents definitely will because of their age so I'll be happy to be able to go over there and just hang out.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Not be terrified to go to work in a retail job.

Visit my parents.

Visit my in-laws.

Visit my friends.

Play board games with friends.

Get a tabletop RPG group together.

Go to Universal Studios.

Go to Sea World.

Go to Busch Gardens.

Go to a Water Park.

Walk in my apartment complex grounds without being terrified.

Go to the grocery store without being terrified.

Eat inside a restaurant.

Etc

Etc.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to go see my mom and sister down in Georgia, assuming they're able to get the vaccine and/or are ok with us just quarantining and not really going anywhere while we visit. And visit my wife's side of the family as well, they've suffered loses (not Covid related) and weren't able to have proper funerals and sendoffs due to wanting to be safe. I'd also like to finally get some surgery that should make it so I stop almost dying of anemia during periods, that would be really nice. In fact there's a lot of medical stuff we've been putting off, eye exams, dental visits etc. Don't know when people in our age group will be up for vaccines, last I checked they were scheduled to do people in early 60s at this time so we're about 30 years off there.