• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you budget for console launches

• Yes

Votes: 231 36.6%
  • No but I don’t buy everything even if I’m excited for it

Votes: 282 44.6%
  • No I keep grabbing until my wallet is empty and card declines

Votes: 119 18.8%

• Total voters

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
I have no need to budget my purchases specifically but I'm expecting about $1,500-$2,000 for an XSX (assuming $500-$600) w/ controllers+games, and then about $3,500-$4,000 to build another gaming PC whenever 3rd gen Ryzen desktop is released.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
If the new Switch is real and a worthy update over launch one, I'll pick that up. PS5 is a launch thing for me too and Xbox depends on what's coming out in the near future that isn't available on One X - will hopefully hold off a launch purchase for that.

Though I want a new TV, my 4k Sony from 2017 doesn't seem like it'll get the most of out new consoles.

My credit card will just take a battering.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
I only buy at launch if it has some game I really want to play. If it is a bunch of cross gen or shit like Knack and Ryse, I wait lol.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Probably get one console and one game day one. What I feel like after that within reason.

Will definitely get a PS5 at some point so it's a strong contender for my day one purchase. Liking the messaging Xbox has been giving off though so I will have to see what PS5 will offer in terms of BC and launch titles. Have a PS4 Pro but only have an Xbox One launch model (got a few months after launch) at the moment so all those games I already have and GamePass titles which I could get with One X / Series X improvements would be cool.

Oct 27, 2017
A new TV is on my agenda this year, I might not buy the next console at launch, I'm not sure yet. But the TV will be my big expenditure.

If the launch lineup isn't good I'm not going to get the new consoles on day 1 or anything close to it.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Either system would need to release an absolute killer app for me to consider. I always feel burned the months after getting a new system after the initial honeymoon phase is over. The Switch was the only console that had a banger for me right from the start and kept stream flowing with MK8, ARMS, Mario, etc.

RonianAT

Jul 23, 2019
Many uses here have insane incomes. My backlog is huge and I am not interested in the new consoles right now.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
I am planning on saving up but not just yet. I'm also trying to save up for an Engagement Ring and a couple holidays so my PS5 fund will have to wait a little longer.

If it's just £350 at launch like the PS4 was in the UK then I shouldn't have to save that much anyway.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I'll just get microsoft games on PC with gamepass and maybe a PS5 years from now after a price drop. If a Switch Pro was real (unlikely I think) I'd probably pick one up though.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
As I'm old and have been around since the NES I have watched many a console launch go buy

Buying a console day 1 is a crapshoot at best - always expensive, the first run of hardware often has unseen issues and the games are often poor

As there is back conpat this gen it does negate the last issue but I'd always wait 6 months or so at the very least before buying a new console

SayemAhmd

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 3, 2019
Start of gen is always pretty slow for new game launches, and even then you'll be paying a premium for the launch consoles with the unrevised hardware, so I specced out a fancy PC instead for anything Multiplat / Microsoft. It all depends on when Sony bring a good, worthwhile exclusive out and they iron out any potential launch kinks.

toastybanana

Oct 27, 2017
I guess you could call it budgeting but no real fixed amount. We've known about 2020 as new console year for a while now so I kept that in mind with regard to my monies. Looking to get an OLED and upgrade the PC too. Spendy time when stuff starts to drop.

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Having to actually put money aside for later in the year I want both new gen consoles with maybe 2 games just for ps5 as gamepass should cover xbox. Also a new headset that is hopefully ps5 and xbox compatible. Then i also need 2 ps5 for my 2 sons with maybe 2 games each. I'm thinking it's going to be around £2700. Can really see ps5 being £499 and series x being £599. If I'm wrong it's just extra for games. Dont think I've spent that much on gaming ever in a year but it's going to be worth it I think.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
No I don't budget for them. If I can afford one and want it, I'll get it. If not I'll just wait until the time I can afford it.

CSMITHY84

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Been putting a bit of money aside since November, Got a good chunk saved so far plus I'll be selling my Xbox scorpio edition and my PS4 pro so theres around probably £500 going towards the 2 new consoles. Want a new headset aswell so I'll be buying a decent one, Already got 2 decent 4K televisions so im all set.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
For console, nah, no need to budget for that, I am not a student with zero income anymore. But for my next PC, my budget is nothing beyond 3k in usd.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
I doubt the launch line-up will be so good that I have to budget. It'll probably be 1 or 2 good games.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
I should have around $5K-$7K to blow by November since I'm throwing a new TV in the mix this gen. I've been saving up since last fall in anticipation.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'll grab a PS5 and whatever games I want on day one but I won't bother with any kind of hard budget.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
400€ for PS5
800€ for a 4K TV
120€ for two games

This is what I'm planning with. I'll sell my Pro and my old TV as well as some games so I hope it'll set me back around 1k.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
It's hard to know because we don't know any details of launch titles and third party games available this Fall. What really helps is already confirmed backward compatibility. I'm currently planning to buy PS5 with its launch title and make a seamless transition, playing PS4 games from my current library and games that will be available this year.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Currently around £1000-1200. I'm planning on picking up a PS5 at launch, new TV (55" so I'm thinking around £600 should get me something decent considering I'll be upgrading from an 11-12 year old 40" 1080p model!), a couple of games and maybe an extra controller for my son.

I'll probably just give away the old TV (or let my wife sell it on Facebook if she wants) and give my PS4 to the local hospice or family hostel for the kids there to use.

Deleted member 39144

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
I've got about £100 worth of Microsoft Reward points, I'm hoping to double that before the Series X releases. That'll take a big chunk out of the console price. With my Gamepass covered until 2022, I doubt I'll spend all that much on games. Should be a relatively cheap console launch.

OriginalJonty

Editor at TheSixthAxis
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
This year launch will see a change. I'm planning to either have or be in the process of buying a place of my own which has its own budget, and from that I'll take out a budget for decorating and furniture.

I'll need a new TV at least and I guess I can count the next gen as new furniture.

otretas

Nov 1, 2017
Do not buy a game console at launch unless it has a specific game that launches with it that you want to play. You are gonna beta test it, paying premium price and probably have no games to play on it.
Wait down the line for another revision to fix the bugs, and have a more solid library, especially since you are on a tight budget. Right there are a bunch of games that i still want to play, and when im done with them i might look into it. Dont just buy something just because its new...

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I'll only buy one, as usual, plus some games/accessories. Since we don't know prices and the year just started, I'm not actively budgeting for it. I'll set aside money for it and if needed, pay the difference when I buy.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Do not buy a game console at launch unless it has a specific game that launches with it that you want to play. You are gonna beta test it, paying premium price and probably have no games to play on it.
Wait down the line for another revision to fix the bugs, and have a more solid library, especially since you are on a tight budget. Right there are a bunch of games that i still want to play, and when im done with them i might look into it. Dont just buy something just because its new...
I really get tired of this take from some people.

Do you really think people havent bought consoles at launch before?

Do you think your taste in games applies to everyone else?

Do you think people arent aware of what they are spending their money on when they buy a console and games?

I bought my PS Vita and PS4 day 1 and never regretted it yet according to some people this was a mistake.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The Switch was the first thing I got at launch since the 3DS, I skipped on the launches of the PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U because there wasn't that much there for me personally.

That said I'll probably be in for the PS5 launch assuming there are exciting games and backwards compatibility. But even then I'll probably only get one or two games at launch and maybe a few digital games, and potentially even some PS4 games if there are new patches released.

Might get more if I sell my Pro.

The only chance of me getting an XSX at launch is if they inexplicably get an amazing JRPG exclusive out of nowhere. Will probably get one later down the road, though.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Thankfully I'm in a position where I don't need to budget for it and will just buy whatever appeals to me.

I'll definitely be picking up both consoles one day 1 and whatever games I like the look of If a new more powerful Switch also releases this year i'll also buy that.

Also currently thinking of moving into a bigger house and if that happens I'll also be upgrading the size of my lounge TV.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I'm gonna budget about £1000 I think, which is a lot. But the way I see it, these consoles will be mine/my GFs main source of entertainment when at home for like 5-7 years, so it's all gravy.

Also I feel like I need to stay close to knowing about the industry, so I have a good excuse.

Guessing the money will pay for each console + 1 controller and a game. Probably will get all my Xmas presents as next gen titles.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I'm not budgeting a specific amount but if I can find a PS5 and Series X (and Switch Pro, fingers crossed), I am planning on getting them all and some games. Luckily I don't really have to budget for games like I used to but it's gonna be an expensive year for sure.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I usually budget for the console plus one game, maybe a smaller downloadable game. Thankfully the xbox series x has gamepass and uses xb1 controllers so I'll probably just buy the console and maybe a third party if anything looks good.

Silly Buck

Oct 28, 2017
I'll buy a PS5, PS Plus for the year and a few games at launch I'm sure.
Beyond that no I don't have a budget for how next gen goes. Too many possibilities from my time to play to what I'm interested in to be able to budget.
But normally I don't spend more than $1000 the first year of a new gen

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
Everytime a new gen comes by, I put 10 euro away every month. 5 years later, I have around 600 which is enough to buy a console and a few games. It's such a small amount that I don't feel it at all.

If I buy multiple systems, then I bite the bullet for the second one.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
I plan on getting at least one of the consoles at launch. Leaning towards the Xbox since I have Game Pass til late in 2021, but I like Sony exclusives more so...I don't know.

But, what may hold me from purchasing at launch is the risk of getting a faulty one. Much more risk of a faulty console with the launch of new hardware. I went through three 360s in less than a year after it's launch and I had to send in my X1X for repair in less than a year.

So I plan on buying one console. If Xbox, just the system. If Sony, the system and one game.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holding off until I feel like I need one. So it comes down to whatever From Software, Kojima Productions and Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios are gonna do. If they all go PC I'll upgrade that instead.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime a new gen comes by, I put 10 euro away every month. 5 years later, I have around 600 which is enough to buy a console and a few games. It's such a small amount that I don't feel it at all.

If I buy multiple systems, then I bite the bullet for the second one.

I do this only with my Amazon Rewards Visa. By the time fall rolls around I will have around 600 bucks to spend just from paying bills,. shopping, etc. Will buy a PS5 on launch with that and probably a Series X just out of pocket at some point.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For me i say around 1k. i'm plan on buying an ps5 only and might upgrade my pc depending on parts price.