• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How Many Video Games Do You Buy Each Year On Average?

• 1-2

Votes: 18 2.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 31 4.0%
  • 3-4

Votes: 71 9.1%
  • 5+

Votes: 311 39.9%
  • 20+

Votes: 305 39.1%
  • 100+

Votes: 44 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I originally picked 20+ because I assumed it was one or two titles a month, thus 12 to 24 and figured 20+ would be the "safe" choice, but I bumped it down to 5+ because I just looked at my Best Buy purchase history for the year and it looks like I've only bought six games from them this year.

I bought Sushi Striker 3DS from NewEgg and four eShop games this year, (1 3DS, 3 Switch) so that's eleven.

We've got four months left and I can see myself buying another nine games in that time to bring it up to 20+, especially if Black Friday sales are good, but I think a "15+" option would likely be better suited for me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually really surprised by the data so far! I did not expect to see anyone with 20+. So my follow up question is now - How many do you complete?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Probably used to be around 6-10, usually smaller games or older AAA on deep sale. With Game Pass, that has dropped to 3? so far this year? And these were smaller games where I wanted to support a dev specifically.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
If we're including indie games and stuff on sale (so not just $60 new releases) then easily 20+.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I bought eleven full ass games on one day two months ago. Don't make me tally this up lmao

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
For me it kinda depends on how you count it.

If you count Humble Monthly games, most of which I'll likely never touch? nearly 100

If you count big, triple A platform games? Like 2-5

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
I'm at 15 right now, with probably another 4-5 planned.

Smaller Digital Titles

Transistor [Not Played, purchased as a result of recent sale, will play eventually]
20XX [Played briefly, didn't really like it]
Crypt of the Necrodancer [Not Played]
Cadence of Hyrule [Almost Completed]
Slay the Spire [Beat each class, will play more]
Downwell [Not beaten, but played a decent amount]
Picross S3 [50% Complete]
BOXBOY + BOXGIRL [50% Complete]
Cuphead [At final boss, might not ever beat..]
Reigns: Game of Thrones [Played briefly, didn't really enjoy]

Retail Titles (Some of these were purchased digitally)

Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age [50% Complete, probably won't continue, might try to sell it]
Mario Maker 2 [Beat story + played a bunch of endless mode]
Fire Emblem: Three Houses [Beat + will play through other routes eventually]
Civilization VI [Just purchased]
Zelda: Link's Awakening [Preordered]

Planned

Luigi's Mansion 3
Pokemon Sword
Ori and the Blind Forest

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
12-15 a year at varying price points, and that includes older games being sold at a discount or remasters/rereleases that are NOT full $60 USD. That said, I still put a pretty big chunk of my money toward games.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I typically buy multiplayer games and rent single player. And single player games worth buying are rare for me. So maybe 3 multiplayer games at the most.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have really cut back on my video game buying but with smaller digital games, I am still buying at least 20 games a year.

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't keep track, I'd say around 20. Which I mostly don't even finish..

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
Little bit of advice, I would be mindful hat your asking a hardcore gaming forum and the first few options are under 10 games bought.

I would have done the vote in increments of 5.

I've bought 13

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
In the last 10 years...

2019: 289 (As of two weeks ago but have gotten more in the last seven days)

2018: 646
2017: 344
2016: 313
2015: 477
2014: 263
2013: 183
2012: 38
2011: 6
2010: 2
2009: 1

I started playing MMOs back in 2007 and my game purchase numbers were around 10-15 average in terms of buying most full priced at $50 or so prior to 2007 and it fell due to unhealthy amounts of time being on MMOs

I didn't get into HD gaming until late 2011

I started getting into PC gaming late 2011 and early 2012

At this point in time I quit playing MMOs and upgraded my PC rig to play high end games at the time in late 2012.

Started using sites like CAG and PSPrices afterwards and managed to get some disposable income from getting gift cards from work and etc - I don't spend any money I make from work to buy games

I use steam wallet cards and psn store cards for an example

That and using money saving sites , waiting for deals, etc

^ to explain the sudden jump in numbers 😂

Edit: I never pay more than $30 on physical titles and never pay more than $20 on digital titles nowadays - this applies to PC gaming, PlayStation and Nintendo (only bought one game at full price in the last 10 years for a Nintendo console)

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I feel very seen.

I'm actually really surprised by the data so far! I did not expect to see anyone with 20+. So my follow up question is now - How many do you complete?

I managed to finish the 52-games-a-year challenge four years in a row. Last year I fell off the cliff of life, and only finished 9; this year I've probably going to finish in the low 20s at best.

I still buy way too many games and this year was supposed to be the year I cut back drastically but I also bought an Oculus Quest so my hoped-for budget is shot anyways. I do think I've been better this year regardless, as I've been able to play most of the big releases I bought.

Hint

Apr 9, 2018
I got a little too out of hand with my purchases the last two years. All mostly due to the Switch and how much it allows me to play games. Last year I must have purchased 30 games across the Switch, PS4, and 3DS.

This year I made a plan for 1 game a month with all of the announced games I wanted to get. So far I have been able to stick to that and I've only bought 9 games so far. I've also been able to finish pretty much all of those before the next one comes out which is nice in getting through my backlog. I predict I'll go over my allotted 12 by maybe 1 or 2. Too many games hitting this last half of the year.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
5-10 usually. I'm kinda picky about what $60 games I buy, then I pick up most of my other games on sale.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
You said video games so I did not count PC. No take backs.

Kidding aside, if we are strictly talking day 1 buys, then I manage to be below 10 a year, I am fairly sure.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I buy around 5 new releases at launch and probably another 10-15 through sales throughout the year.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
100+. Compulsive purchasing of cheap indie titles fills the void inside me. Well, it hasn't yet. But maybe someday...

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Is this mostly indie games or something else?

I don't buy indie games individually - only in bulk (collections or bundles)

Also some of the stuff in the list are dlc/season passes, free games , gifts, etc

In total I spent $518 or so in regards to gaming in 2016

Steam/PC
-ABC Coloring Town - $0 GIFT
-Absconding Zatwor - Giveaway $0
-Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Gold Edition - $14.99
-Asteroid Bounty Hunter - Free $0
-Batman Arkham Origins + Complete DLC - $9.99
-Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - $4.99
-Bundle Stars Odyssey Bundle (The Last Door - Collector's Edition, Quest for Infamy, Face Noir, Lost Civilization, Morningstar: Descent to Deadrock, Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller, Moebius: Empire Rising, Heroes & Legends: Conquerors of Kolhar, Supreme League of Patriots Season Pass) - $1.99
-Bundle Stars Leviathan Bundle (Industry Giant 2, Project Temporality, Kill The Bad Guy,The Last Express Gold Edition Leviathan: The Last Day of the Decade, The Princess' Heart, Zoo Empire, Marine Park Empire, Auditorium) - $2.50
-Bundle Stars Nemesis Bundle (Risen 3 - Titan Lords, Contagion, Joe Dever's Lone Wolf HD Remastered, Out of Reach, The Ship: Remasted, Deadfall Adventures, The Masterplan, Dead In Bermuda, Toren, Broken Sword 5 - the Serpent's Curse) - $4.99
-Bundle Stars Killer Bundle 7 (System Shock: Enhanced Edition, System shock Classic Edition, Bound By Flame, fault milestone one, 200% Mixed Juice!, Space Colony, Knee Deep, Circuit Breakers, Pneuma: Breath of Life, Dungeon Nightmares II : The Memory, D/Generation HD) - $4.99
-Bundle Stars Must Play Bundle 2 (Among the Sleep, WORLD END ECONOMiCA episode.01, Holodrive, Bridge Constructor Stunts, -SPACECOM, Lowglow, A Wizard's Lizard, Rush for Berlin Gold, Moorhuhn: Tiger and Chicken) - $3.99
-Bundle Stars Reboot 2.0 (Sniper: Ghost Warrior Gold Edition, Tower Wars, Afterfall Insanity Extended Edition, Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD, Disciples III - Renaissance Steam Special Edition) - $2.99
-Bundle Stars Spectre Bundle (PixelJunk Nom Nom Galaxy, Plantera, RymdResa, Press X to Not Die, Blacksea Odyssey, The Sandbox, Asdivine Hearts, Reign of Bullets, Disposable Heroes, Dandy: Or a Brief Glimpse Into the Life of the Candy Alchemist) - $2.66
-Castle of Illusion - Humble Store $2.24
-Cataegis: The White Wind - $0
-Consortium - Giveaway $0
-DarkEnd - Giveway $0
-Dead Bits - Giveaway $0
-Deep Dungeons of Doom - $0 Giveaway
-DiRT 3 Complete Edition - Giveaway $0
-Disgaea PC - $8.98
-Dishonored Definitive Edition - $10.00
-Endorlight - Giveaway $0
-Far Cry 3 Deluxe Edition - Amazon $7.50
-Fairy Fencer F - $8.99
-Fairy Fencer F Hot Springs DLC - $0.49
-Fairy Fencer F Additional Fairy Pack DLC - $0.49
-Fairy Fencer F Surpass your limits DLC - $0.49
-Fairy Fencer F Swimset DLC - $0.49
-Fiends of Imprisonment - Giveaway $0
-Final Fantasy V - Squareenix Online Store Anniversary Sale $7.99
-Final Fantasy VI - Squareenix Online Store April Savings May Bring Sale - $7.99
-Final Fantasy IX - Squareenix Online Store E3 Sale - $16.89
-Final Fantasy XIII - GIFT $0
-Final Fantasy XIII-2 - GameStop Squareenix Sale $5.99
-Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns (Amazon via Halloween Sale) - $9.99
-Fractured Space - Steam Giveaway $0
-Galactic Civilizations III - Giveaway $0
-Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit - Steam Giveaway $0
-Humble 2k Bundle 2 Humble Bundle (Duke Nukem Forever, Spec Ops: The Line, The Darkness II) - $1.00
-Humble Deep Silver Bundle 2 (Dead Island Riptide Complete Edition, Sacred 3 Gold) - $3.66
-Humble Weekly Full Motion Video Bundle (7th Guest + 11th Hour Pack, Tex Murphy Complete Pack, MISSING: An Interactive Thriller - Episode One) - $1
-Humble Ubisoft Bundle (Grow Home and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger + Rayman Origins Uplay) - $1
-Humble Indie Bundle 16 (Retro City Rampage DX, Outlast, Never Alone + Foxtales DLC, Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power, Door Kickers, Else Heart.Break(), Sunless Sea, Duet, FORCED) - $8.20
-Humble Indie Bundle 17 (Lethal League, The Beginner's Guide, Galak-Z, Lovers in a Dangerous Space Time, Octodad: Dadliest Catch, Super Time Force Ultra, Hexcells Complete Pack , Expand, Regency Solitaire) - $5.62
-Humble Jumble Bundle 6 (Oceanhorn: Monster of the Uncharted Seas, Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown , WARMACHINE Tactics , WARMACHINE Tactics - Mercenaries Faction Bundle, Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut , Dreamfall Chapters , Magicka 2, Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?!, TransOcean: The Shipping Company, Shadowrun Returns) - GIFT $0
-Humble Jumbo Bundle 7 (Road to Ballhalla, Elegy for a Dead World, Agatha Christie - The ABC Murders, Punch Club, Prison Architect, Stronghold Crusader 2, Runestone Keeper, Devil Daggers, RollerCoaster Tycoon 2: Triple Thrill Pack) - $4.96
-Humble Bundle Star Wars Bundle 2 (Star Wars Rebellion, Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance, Star Wars: X-Wing vs TIE Fighter - Balance of Power Campaigns, Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga, Star Wars: X-Wing Special Edition, Star Wars: TIE Fighter Special Edition, LEGO Star Wars - The Complete Saga) - $10
-Humble SEGA Strategy Bundle (Company of Heroes Complete Edition, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Master Collection, Medieval II: Total War Collection, Rome: Total War - Collection, SEGA Genesis/Megadrive Strategy Pack (Shining Force, Shining Force 2, Gain Ground, Columns) - $1
-Humble Day of the Devs 2016 Bundle (Oxenfree, Massive Chalice, Grim Fandango Remastered, Titan Souls, Broken Age, Lumino City) - $4.27
-Humble Bundle Unreal Engine Bundle (Dangerous Golf, Killing Floor - Chickenator DLC, Killing Floor - Community Weapon Pack 1 DLC, Killing Floor - Community Weapon Pack 2 DLC, Killing Floor - Community Weapon Pack 3 DLC, Shadow Complex Remastered, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, ADR1FT, The Mean Greens - Plastic Warfare) - $4.10
-Humble Bundle Staff Picks Bundle (Volume, TIS-100, Legend of Grimrock 2) - $1.00
-Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth V3 Generation - $5.99
-Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth V3 DLC - $0.49
-Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed - $7.49
-Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed Difficult Quest DLC - $0.99
-Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed Bonus Quest DLC - $0.99
-Hyperdevotion Noire Goddess Black Heart - $7.49
-Hyperdevotion Noire Tiara DLC - $1
-Hyperdevotion Noire IF DLC - $1
-Hyperdevotion Noire Sting DLC - $1
-Hyperdevotion Noire Compa DLC - $1
-Impossible Creatures - $0 GIFT
-Indie Gala Every Monday Bundle #98 (Wolfsong, Legend of Mysteria RPG, Labyronia RPG, Labyronia RPG 2, Destiny Warriors RPG, Data Hacker: Reboot, Secret Of Magia) - $1.49
-Indie Gala Tokyo Anime Bundle (Tokyo Hosto, A Wild Catgirl Appears!, Shan Gui, Echo Tokyo: Intro, Always The Same Blue Sky, Highschool Possession, Sickness, Lamia's Game Room, Quantum Conscience, Blue Rose) - $3.00
-Indie Gala Jetdogs Studios Bundle (Sinister City, Alchemy Mysteries: Prague Legends, Cursed, Among the Heavens, Dracula's Legacy, Frankenstein: Master of Death, Galaxy Admirals, 12 Labours of Hercules, 12 Labours of Hercules II: The Cretan Bull, 12 Labours of Hercules III: Girl Power, 12 Labours of Hercules IV: Mother Nature (Platinum Edition), 12 Labours of Hercules V: Kids of Hellas (Platinum Edition) ) - $3
-Indie Gala Anime Angels Bundle (Sakura Spirits, Sakura Angels, Sakura Beach, Sakura Beach 2, Aozora Meikyuu, Cyber City 2157: The Visual Novel, Serafina's Crown, Impulse!) - $3.99
-Indie Gala Artifex Mundi #3 (Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek, Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood, Enigmatis 3: The Shadow of Karkhala, Grim Legends 3: The Dark City, The Secret Order 4: Beyond Time, Crime Secrets: Crimson Lily, Demon Hunter 2: New Chapter) - $2.99
-SEGA Make War Not Love 3 Campaign (Binary Domain, Condemned Criminal Origins) - give away $0
-Kraven Manor - Indie Gala Giveaway $0
-Life is Strange Complete Edition - $4.99
-Need for Speed Most Wanted (2012) - Origin On The House Promotion $0
-Numba Deluxe - Giveaway $0
-Nyctophobia - Giveaway $0
-Omikron: The Nomad Soul - Giveaway Squareenix Online Store Free Promotion $0
-Overcast - Walden and the Werewolf (Steam via Indie Gala Giveaway) - $0
-Particula - Giveaway $0
-Phantasmagoria - Gift $0
-Phantasmagoria 2: A Puzzle of Flesh - Gift $0
-Pixel Puzzles 2: Anime - Gift $0
-Pixel Puzzles: UndeadZ - Gift $0
-Power-Up - Giveaway $0
-Pressured - Giveaway $0
-Resident Evil Revelations Episode 2 - $0.69
-Resident Evil Revelations Episode 3 - $0.66
-Resident Evil Revelations Episode 4 - $0.66
-Rover Rescue - Giveaway $0
-Saints Row Gat Out Of Hell - $3.74
-Shiftlings - $0
-Soulbringer - Giveaway $0
-Space Farmers - GIFT $0
-Stardew Valley - Gift $0
-Tales of the Orient: The Rising Sun - Giveaway $0
-Tales of Zestiria - $6.79
-Tales of Zestiria - Additional Chapter: Alisha's Story - $4.99
-The Dark Stone from Mebara - Indiegala Giveaway $0
-The Deer - Giveaway $0
-The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut - GIFT $0
-Titan Quest Anniversary Edition - Free Upgrade
-Tropico 4 - Giveaway $0
-Uriel's Chasm 2 - Giveaway $0
-WWE 2k16 - $14.99

Total - $253.44

Origin
-Need for Speed Most Wanted (2012) - Origin On The House Promotion $0
-Medal of Honor™ Pacific Assault - Origin On The House Promotion $0
-Dungeon Keeper - Origin On The House Promotion $0
-Mass Effect 3 - $15
-Mass Effect 3 Citadel DLC - $15
-Mass Effect 3 Omega DLC - $15
-Mass Effect 3 Leviathan DLC - $10

Total: $55.00

GOG
-Consortium The Master Edition - GOG Giveaway $0
-Shadow Warrior Classic Complete - GOG Giveaway $0
-Teenagent - GOG Giveaway $0
-Neverwinter Nights Diamond - GOG Giveaway $0

Uplay
-Assassin's Creed III - UBI30 Giveaway $0
-Rayman Legends - UBI30 Giveaway $0
-Beyond Good and Evil - UBI30 Giveaway $0
-Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon UBI30 Giveaway $0

PS3
-Final Fight: Double Impact - $0
-Okami HD - $0
-Ratchet & Clank Collection - Amazon $14.99
-Resident Evil Chronicles HD - Amazon $5.69
-Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix - $0
-Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix -$0
Tales of Xillia 2 - $8 at Target Black Friday

Total - $28.68

PS4
-The Last Of Us Remastered - $10 at Best Buy
-Final Fantasy XV - $40 at Newegg

Total - $50

WiiU
-The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - $30 at Best Buy
-The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD - $25 at Walmart Black Friday
-Super Smash Bros WiiU DLC Collection #1 - Amazon $10
-Super Smash Bros WiiU DLC Collection #2 - Amazon $22
-Super Smash Bros WiiU DLC Collection #5 - Amazon $7.49
-Super Smash Bros WiiU DLC Collection #6 - Amazon $15.49

3DS
-Pokemon Sun - $0 (Amazon)
-Bravely Second - $20 at Best Buy Black Friday
-Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (Gift)
-Nano Assault EX (Gift)
-Humble Friends With Nintendo Bundle - (Retro City Rampage: DX, Shantae And The Pirate's Curse, Affordable Space Adventures (WiiU), Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (WiiU)) - $1.00

Total - $130.98

-----

Grand Total: $518.10

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
20+ easily, especially if we include the cheaper digital games.
My younger self would've been so excited to hear that I'm buying so many games, but the harsh reality is that adulthood responsibilities prevents me from enjoying them as much as I want to.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
10 to 15. Usually when writing my top ten of the year list, I'm surprised at the lack of "margin" I have when I get to numbers 8 through 10.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
This year has been rough for me because I just graduated. So I've only bought Wargroove, Shadowbringers, Fire Emblem and Astral Chain. And I thought that would be it, but looks like september has other plans for me. Borderlands 3, Iceborne and River City Girls. Also, I'll probably buy DQ Builders 2 on black friday. I thought this would be a safe year financially but doesn't look like the second half of 2019 agrees with that

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I voted 20+ and then I remembered I'm signed up to humble monthly for the year and that's almost 100 games right there lol.

only counting games from bundles that I will actually play though I'm down to around 20 a year now.

complete... ha ha good one :P I'm not sure how to answer that because a lot of games I play don't really have an end. When do I consider something like risk of rain 2 complete?

or for slay the spire, I've beat it with each character (but I haven't beat the extra thing that unlocks after that) do I count it as beat once I do the extra thing, or do I need to unlock everything ect :P?

also to note humble monthly is around 84 games a year alone if you are subbed for the year. so 20 really isn't that high of a number :P

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I've bought 1 game that released in 2019 this year and it was 6 months after release. I'm not counting F2P.

Now I've bought 7 games this year (1 being a game I already own on disk to have a digital version) all at big discounts. Shadowkeep will be the first thing I play Day 1 and it's an expansion. I'm not buying Gears because of GP.

Gamepass and GAAS games like Siege and Cities Skylines have kept me busy.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
1 or 2 ful priced, 2017 was an exception, I bought 5 new games back then. Maybe 2 indies and the rest on sale/used what ends up 8-10 games a year. I still have a backlog tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.