• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How many have you been a part of?

• None

Votes: 120 51.5%
  • 1-5

Votes: 83 35.6%
  • 6-10

Votes: 16 6.9%
  • 11-15

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 15+

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I've participated in a couple of occupies, a few Causa Justa ones, and a few other rallies against gentrification.

Protest Era, how many larger scaled protests have you been a part of in the past? Rough estimate. And what is considered large? Let's say any over 50?

What kind of protests were they?

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
About 7.... and that was just last year. lol

In total, about 10. I wasn't very active when I was younger. Active as in I really didn't care much.

Oct 26, 2017
Just once and it was this prior weekend. The energy of the crowd was electric. I don't know if I would call it large though...it was decently sized considering the city.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, none. I live with agoraphobia and extreme anxiety. I can't do much either, such as donations, with the little amount i get from disability. Does make me feel helpless to causes and donation drives. I try to retweet a bunch of voices and videos on twitter though and my feed has been an endless stream of them for the past week. I also try to share them as much as I can in discord servers I'm in to help make them reach further.

farmland

Oct 30, 2017
If it's over 50 people then probably like 50+ can't really remember.

I've been to rallies that are about labour rights, asylum seeker rights, anit-racism, lgbt+ liberation, abortion rights, marriage equality, indigenous rights and liberation, anti-conservative government rallies and climate change marches plus many more.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My first was inauguration day 2017 and since then I've been to five or six.

Shutting down LAX when the Muslim travel ban was issued was unforgettable.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
My first was March for Our Lives, went to DC with my ex. Was really great to see everyone coming together and speaking as one. That kind of solidarity is what I'm seeing around the world which gives me hope.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
None, I have anxiety/social anxiety and don't even like going to shop, but I suport everyone that does.

Agnostic

Mar 4, 2019
A couple.

Iraq war and a few marijuana/drug legalization.

edit: everyone was blowing smoke at the cops. lol

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
None. I also suffer from social anxiety and I get panic attacks being in the middle of large crowds. But my wife and I donate to their causes.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
3. I did not wear comfortable shoes for the Women's March in DC and was dying by the end of it but it was worth going.

Oct 27, 2017
None. I'm not a big crowds type of person. It would also involve going into large city in the large majority of cases and pretty much fuck that.

Oct 25, 2017
Occupy Wall Street a number of years back. It was a super hot day, so I stopped by Safeway on the way there. I bought a ton of cases of bottled water, as many as would fit in my car at the time. I parked near the protest and was ferrying waters to whoever wanted them and making the rounds. Soooo many people were surprised that I was handing them out for free and not selling them. I was even interviewed by the news about this and I was just awestruck like were out here protesting against capitalism and you are wondering why I am handing out free water and not trying to make a buck? Damn.

gillian03

Oct 28, 2017
Everyday since Monday. Mon, Tues, Wednesday... so 3 so far.

I was scared to go to one of these. Still am. I do it from about 11am all the way til a few hours past twilight. Never been so sure about something in my life. I'm not Black. But my brothers and sisters who have died - they deserve more than my courage. So I have to do what is right and stand up for them. For everyone who has suffered and for everyone who will suffer. Again, I'm petrified. Especially when cops get close. But... I won't accept this injustice.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Just the last week I've been to 3 in Des Moines. All three turned into riots. Lots of people getting gassed and wagon'd for ftd. It's garbage. I don't think anybody has been killed yet though, so that's good.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Quite a bit between highschool and university. From Anti war protests, LGBTQ+ equality protests, pro Palestinian protests at school. The last one I went to was last year to protest against cuts to autism programs in Ontario

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
I estimate about 12 in my life, but I started with the Rodney King protests in LA. But I have not participated in any recently, frankly too busy being a healthcare provider right now. I'm a psychologist and the level is depression and suicidality is skyrocketing. But I'm out in the protests in spirit.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
None so far there really aren't a lot of protests where I live and they're mostly in the capital which is very far away. I wish I could be helping out in the us :(

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Many - I live in DC, and lived in Michigan's Capital.

I've not been brave enough during COVID, however.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In person? None. But I don't live in a big city and I don't have my own car, nor do I have any friends or aquaintances I'd feel comfortable asking to drive me to one. I'm also just skeptical of the effectiveness of many of these types of protests compared to other forms of activism in this day and age

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
A few times since I've lived in Mexico City, that used to be a daily occurrence before the pandemic. Heck even during the pandemic we've had protests going on.

Apr 11, 2020
Countless, since I was a child. Indigenous rights (land rights, sovereignty, equality, justice against police brutality), BLM, LGBTQ+ rights, and climate justice being the crux of them amongst a scattering of other things. But I see all four of them as very connected, each going back to dismantle the colonial structure and paradigm. Of those, with the exception of gay rights, were participated in over a lifetime. A timeline would see BLM emerging the past few years (and in Australia, we had been approaching BLM from a slightly different angle in the years preceding, because First Nation people come from a line of black skin, and known as 'blakfullas'), LGBTQ+ I started when I was a teenager (and holy fuck was I afraid of being outed there), and climate justice accelerated in a big way (though still thoroughly connected to a lifetime body of work) once I started organizing communities.

I've seen some horrific things happen at some of them, mostly due to police brutality and counter-protesters. It has depleted me until I was broken and could get up no more. I've also witnessed some of the most heart-warming acts of humanity. Overall, it woke me up big time as a child and taught me forms of responsibility, authenticity, and resilience in my community. If it wasn't for the protests of my ancestors and family, I wouldn't be here today, and it is my responsibility to see that we stay well organized, and continue to show leadership, creating platforms for First Nation voices for the sake of our children, because we got a loooooong way to go.

Last edited:

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
A lot. College during Iraq Deux had that effect. And then more sporadically after that, but a few a year most years, probably. None this prior weekend, but I'm quarantined. So, that sucked to miss out on.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
None. Friday afternoon I'm planning to go downtown (DC) assuming protests are still on. Wanted to go earlier this week but have to work until 7 and getting down there after that is tough. Told my boss I'm taking Friday afternoon off so I can bike or metro down early.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Easily 15+
I've been to climate strikes all over. Went to COP 2009 in Kopenhagen for the protest at the climate conference. Many anti nuclear power protests and other political demonstrations across Germany. And a variety of protests since moving to the US, anti war, anti fascism, anti climate change, BLM.
I will Continue to go no matter where I am.
✊🏻✊🏻✊🏻