• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

• 5+

Votes: 66 37.1%
  • 10+

Votes: 31 17.4%
  • 15+

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • 50+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't determine a boss's difficulty solely by the amount of times it kills me

Votes: 76 42.7%

• Total voters

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Had an acquaintance say any bosses that don't kill you at least 50 times like in Sekiro, is considered easy.

What say you Era

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This sort of arbitrary concept of measurement doesn't really apply to video game difficulty in a realistic way. This is a bad way to measure the challenge level of any video game obstacle.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
If I die at all, the game is broken shit and I send the developers angry emails with pics of expanded duck dicks.

It depends entirely on the game and what causes me to die during the boss fight.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
I don't think 'how many times it kills me' is a fair measure. There are plenty of bosses that kill me loads until I work out how to avoid/counter/negate each of their attacks, but that can take time to work out, especially when they have multiple phases. In 2D games with quick restarts I've often lost count of how many attempts I've made (Cyber Shadow's final boss was 30+), but if it's possible to get through while taking zero or minimal damage with a bit of pattern recognition and perseverance, and where every death feels like it's from your own mistakes and that I'm learning the fight and making progress, I don't really consider it hard.

The ones I think are hard tend to be those with attacks you can't dodge, with hit boxes that don't seem to make sense, where survival feels more luck than judgment, or where you're reliant on the AI not choosing a set pattern of moves in a row that just end you. The final boss of the original DS version of SMT Strange Journey comes to mind, where it's game over if the MC dies but the boss *might* just choose to waste you in the opening turns.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I was really struggling to pick an option, and that's when I realized cuz that probably not a great way to measure it. Different games would lead to different numbers if at all depending on mechanics and circumstances.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's normal for me to die first time in a boss because i'm testing the waters in any game not braindead easy. Then sometimes second time it's okay because i still didn't get it 100%. Now dying a third time means i'm having a challenge.

Tho sometimes i defeat a challenging boss on the first try, but i feel like it was challenging due to how long was it or how many times i almost died. This one is common in Jrpgs e.g Nyx Avatar in P3, or maybe Diablo likes and any kind of game with constant healing mechanics.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
A boss can be challenging/hard even when you beat it first time
Yep. I think you should weigh (length of time + butt pucker minutes).

For instance, I beat the first and second boss in Returnal on the first go, but I was puckered from the second stage on of the first boss. For the second boss, my arse was locked the entire 20 minutes it took to down it. I'd say those bosses are hard even though I one shotted them.

Oct 25, 2017
I usually go by time, since I lose count of the retries.
I usually play games on the hardest difficulty.
If I'm able to clear an encounter in less than 5 tries, I consider it pretty easy.
But it's all relative. Obviously, if I failed 4 times, it wasn't actually easy. It was just easier than the harder stuff.

If an encounter takes me more than 30 minutes, it was hard.
Very hard content often takes me over an hour of retries, or a whole lot more than that depending on the genre.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I managed to beat Dancer of the Boreal Valley in Dark Souls 3 on my first attempt. That was a really hard fight. Dragon God in Demon's Souls killed me over and over and over and that's not a very hard fight. Difficulty doesn't have much to do with how many times you lose a fight.

Apr 24, 2018
I think the square rectangle analogy fits here. There are bosses I've beaten on my first try that I certainly wouldn't call easy. Admittedly though, there's definitely a strong positive correlation between a high death count and difficulty, but others have said, that's not the only defining metric.

Cleric Beast (Bloodborne) was my first ever FROM boss and I beat it on my first try. I definitely didn't think the fight was easy by any means in the immediate aftermath and was probably on the precipice of literally having white knuckles, heh. Since then, I've only played Sekiro but the only other first try boss I got was the Double Guardian Ape fight.

May 24, 2021
I'd say about 10+. I'd prefer to get my ass kicked at least few times by a boss. Means there was actually something to learn in the fight. I'd probably lean more towards giving it a time frame than by tries though. If I get stuck on something for about 2 hours, I consider that a pretty spicy boss fight.

Some times it also depends on how much of an impact things like 'RPG numbers" have or the player build/gear. Big difference between fighting something like the Man-Eaters early on with melee vs running in there after you have Firestorm.