• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which digital 'media subscriptions' do you currently have active?

• Television & film (Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, etc.)

Votes: 1,115 78.4%
  • Game subscription service (Game Pass, EA Access, PS Now, etc.)

Votes: 534 37.6%
  • Music streaming (Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc.)

Votes: 729 51.3%
  • Gaming infrastructure (PS+, Xbox Live, Nintendo Online, etc.)

Votes: 1,041 73.2%
  • Online media video content (Twitch sub, Patreon, Giant Bomb, etc.)

Votes: 330 23.2%
  • Other (Digital newspapers, digital magazines, Apple News+, paid newspapers, etc.)

Votes: 170 12.0%
  • None

Votes: 98 6.9%

• Total voters

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Giant Bomb premium and I'll be resubbing to Duckfeed.tv next month. Tried Game Pass PC, but there are too many kinks to iron out for me to renew. Used to have PS+ back when they still did Vita games. I sub to Humble Monthly maybe once a year and same for Netflix to binge all the shows I want to see.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
  • How many subs do you have active at the moment?
    • Netflix
    • GamePass ultimate/ Live (did the conversion good till July 2020)
    • Amazon Prime/ Twitch Prime (Yearly)
    • PS Plus (Yearly)
    • EA access (Yearly)
    • Nintendo Online (Yearly with a group of 8)
    • Google Music/ Youtube Red (Sharing with 6)
  • How much do you pay per month for these services?
    • Per month about I'd say ~$35 USD
  • Which services are you subscribed to?
    • Netflix
    • Google Music
  • And most importantly, how do you feel about the amount of subscription services you are subscribed to?
    • I actually happy with them. They provide a level of quality and convenience that I'm willing to pay for. Also, I'm sharing almost all of these subs with at least another person.
I created a thread a while back to do some [rough] math on how much it would cost to sub to ALL gaming subs per month.

EA premier: $15
EA Access (X1): $5
Game Pass Ultimate: $15
PS Now: $20
Humble Monthly: $12
Uplay Plus: $15
Stadia Pro: $10
Twitch Prime (Amazon): $12
Nintendo Online: $4
Discord Nitro: $10

That's access to a lot of content for $120. I know it's extreme and not a good practice, IMO. But the value is there. Personally, I usually sell a game after I beat it and rarely come back. I will miss the idea of owner ship, the feeling of holding a physical case/ disc, the ability to trade/ sell, and the idea that the game will "never" go away.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Apple Music family plan, Giant Bomb subscription and Switch online family plan. All in all I roughly pay €10 per month.
I can use the Netflix, Amazon, Dazn (sports streaming) accounts of my sister/her husband. Wouldn't pay for those otherwise.

Oh and I have a membership for the local library. That's about 1.50€ per month and gets me most console games and movies at the latest 1 month after release. Games are like 1€ for 2 weeks, movies .60€ for a week for newer ones, older ones are free. With physical Switch games you even make a profit with those gold points you can register.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Ps+, HBO Go, Marvel Unlimited, Netflix (is my sister's tho), FFXIV at this point.

I do unsub them from time to time if I don't use it (like with Nintendo online right now, no use for it).

Honestly it's a bit of hassle to always manage subscriptions which is why I let them run over before I remember to cancel.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Amazon Prime/Twitch Prime - Yearly
Netflix - Monthly
Hulu - Monthly
Crunchyroll - Quarterly
Apple Music (Family) - Monthly
Switch Online - Yearly
and Adobe Creative Cloud - Monthly.

I believe those are all of my active subs. I really should unsub from Hulu as I don't use it nearly enough.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I pay yearly for Crunchyroll, Nintendo Switch Online, Giant Bomb, and occasionally PS+ (I usually get it gifted to me).

Including PS+ it comes out to about $15 a month since I usually grab Giant Bomb Premium during a sale.

EDIT: I forgot about Pokémon Bank, so make that $15.42 a month lol.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Between the two of us, my wife and I subscribe to Hulu ad-free, Netflix, Nintendo Switch Online, and PS+.

PS+'s value has severely plummeted as of late, though, and I play the vast majority of indie titles on my Switch, so I'll probably, finally end my subscription with the current cycle.

Meanwhile, everyone knows Nintendo Switch Online mostly sucks, but it's cheap enough that you generally get what you pay for and having access to at least Smash and Mario Kart online is a must for me, so that sub's not going anywhere.

So with PS+ out of the picture, our monthly entertainment subscription services come out to around $25/month. I'm more than happy with that considering the amount of content we get for that, especially with Hulu having such a wide, varied selection of anime and basically making Crunchyroll obsolete.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
I pay for Netflix with my my T-Mobile phone bill. My sister pays for Hulu with her Spotify on top of her getting a student discount. I pay for Apple Music with my student discount. Gamepass which I just re-uped with ultimate for a dollar but I usually pay the $10 a month, or just get a 3 months for like $25, well I don't pay for gold Sort of anymore with ultimate. NSO which I just bought a year of, think it was like $40 for a year or something? Even then, I get more value and entertainment through these subs than I ever did buying games individually. During the summer I have a lot of time on my hands so this abundance of content is perfect.

So recap: Apple Music $4.99
iCloud $0.99
Gamepass ultimate $14.99
Netflix $16 (I think?? Idk it comes out of my phone plan)
NSO $20 a year (had to google that, so I'm not going to even count this since it's so damn cheap)

All together I pay 36 a month. Lol tbh that's nothing to me, I would've spent that every week on weed or some shit so this is a better alternative. Because this is a whoooole lot of bang for your buck.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox Live Gold
Game Pass
HBO on Amazon
Spotify
Washington Post

I also have Amazon Prime but that's more than a streaming service IMO

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me personally, zero.

The only subscription we have is for the Criterion streaming service (for my mom).

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
None. Can share Netflix and Amazon Prime if I wish to (rarely).

Will not pay for a previously free product (PS+ - online p2p locked behind game rental paywall) and wouldn't use it enough to justify paying.
Tried Spotify, didn't have much of the stuff I listen to and found it inconvenient.
Spotify doesn't have what you listen to?? Hell you be listening to then?? I sub to Apple Music and we have a lot less options than Spotify. Only thing I miss is all the trap music I used to have off of places like spinnerilla and mymixtapes and Spotify usually has about all/most of them. I'd be hard pressed to not find something on Spotify, Apple Music yeah for sure they're probably forgot to add some of your favorite artists but Spotify? They'd usually have 1 of everything.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Just 3.

Apple Music, paid monthly
Netflix, paid monthly
Nintendo Switch Online, paid annually

I also have Hulu through my cell phone provider.

I'm considering adding Disney+ when that launches, then cutting my cable for good.

Oct 25, 2017
TV and film:
Varies a lot, currently none. I only sub to movie and TV services when there's something I want to watch so I might go for a month of HBO Nordic soon for Chernobyl and Euphoria and will get one month of Prime Video when Star Trek Picard is all out.

Game subs:
Humble Monthly Bundle only = $100/year ($8.33 per month). They usually have a deal like that at the end of the year, will pay $12/month if not. 10% off almost all games on Humble Store (all but Epic exclusives) is a very nice perk of it too.

Music streaming:
Spotify Premium = €9/month while PS Plus is active (till January 2020), €10/month after.

Console online play:
PS Plus = €60/year. I have canceled and will re-check that it'll actually go away on January 2020 so I will have none. I'm leaving consoles behind until paid online is gone, which is probably never, but PC is my jam now.

Online media:
A couple of Patreon subs for a total of $5-8 a month depending on content.

Total:
After PS Plus is gone, about €25/month assuming Patreon gives me the highest possible bill. I also pause Humble Monthly if they're giving a non-Steam game as their early unlock that month which saves a little.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix
Game pass
Ps plus

Used to have ea access on pc, but I got bored with it after playing anthem for a month. Probably won't even sub to the ps4 version later this month

I'll probably resub to prime at some point.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I just quit PS+, so right now it's only Spotify for ~$4.99. I'm a big leech on my family's Netflix account though.

Nov 8, 2017
PS+ is literally the only one I have, and I can't see that ever changing since I'm never going to pay a subscription to stream content (whether it be music, video, or games).

And even for that I only pay around £2.33 per month, since I always get the year subscriptions when it's discounted (£35 instead of £50) and use Tesco staff discount on top of that to get 20% off the PSN top up cards.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix £7.99/month
Amazon Prime £79/year
Spotify £4.99/month
Gamepass Ultimate, paid until Sep 2020 through various promotions
Nintendo Switch Online £18/year
Phone Contract £7/month

Total ~ £30/month

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
I'm part of a family account for both Spotify & Netflix (£2.50 + £3.00)

Also paid £120 for three years of Game Pass Ultimate (technically £3.30 per month)

Totals £8.80!

Movies, tv, music and games for that price... thank you subscription gods :)

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
Not that many really

Television & film
Netflix (15)​
Amazon Prime (120 a year)​
Hulu (free with spotify)​
Temp subs​
NJPW World (10 a I only use it 3 times a year)​
CBS all Access (I sub for 1 show- Strange Angel)​
Game subscription service
GamePass Ultimate ( I paid the buck for 2 years so for everything it was 120)​
Music streaming
Spotify​
Gaming infrastructure
Xbox Live​
PlayStation Plus​
Other
Patron for podcasts. (20)​
Audible (22 a month)​
The Washington Post (60 a year)​
DC Universe (I paid 70 for a year)​
Comixolgy Unlimited (6 a month)​

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime & Hulu, with rotating in Crunchyroll/VRV/Criterion/HBO if there's something in particular I want to watch.

I cancelled my Spotify Premium and haven't missed it.

In terms of game stuff...just GamePass PC for now. Never subscribed for paid online and I never will. I do buy a Humble Monthly now and again but I don't stay subscribed.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
So besides the question in the poll:
  • How many subs do you have active at the moment?
  • How much do you pay per month for these services?
  • Which services are you subscribed to?
  • And most importantly, how do you feel about the amount of subscription services you are subscribed to?

Good question.

I've got 3 subs...

Netflix (DVD rental + streaming) - $16/mo
Gamefly - $23/mo
PS+ - $3.33/mo (I wait till it's on sale for $40 and buy - I'm stacked till about somewhere in 2023)

I'm also considering getting Nintendo Switch Online since I'm going to be using the Switch more. That's about $42.33/mo. I'm happy with the amount of services I have, and my usage of most of them.

As far as my assessments of each service:

I really like the DVD rentals from Netflix, and it's a great way to watch the latest movies and TV shows without having to wait so long or pay so much. I would be very hesitant to unsubscribe from this. The streaming I don't use as much, as TBH I prefer HBO's content, but it's very used by my other family members and IMO that makes it worthwhile.

Gamefly is, I think, one of the best values in gaming. Like with Netflix DVD I get to rent (and play) the latest games (and movies - they have some titles earlier than Netflix or that aren't available on Netflix) for really cheap, and that comes especially handy since I have multiple systems. Between Switch, PS4, and Vita alone there's enough variety there to make it worthwhile. I wouldn't cancel this sub.

PS+ I have a very love-hate relationship towards. I like the cloud saves (and indeed that's what I pay for) but the selection of games has been quite poor IMO for a while now - well before they dropped the PS3 and Vita from the library. Still, given how much I use the PS4 (and Vita) I figure it's worth the price.

Overall I'm happy with the amount of subs I have. I don't really want to subscribe to too many more, and I feel like the ones I have are worthwhile and cover my bases well.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Internet + TV, Xbox Live Gold, and Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. I don't know how much I'm paying monthly, because the only subscription that I pay for monthly is my ISP's. All of those were good investments, well worth the price, and if I'm able to find more good deals for services that I think I'd like, I'll glady add more. But I'm mostly covered, to be honest.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I do currently use subscription services for music, TV and gaming but I'm bumming every single one of them off of other people so not actually paying

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
Xbox ultimate game pass
PS plus
Netflix
Amazon prime
YouTube music
Giant bomb
World of warcraft

I have a lot. Quite happy with the services though.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Currently:

Apple Music
Netflix
Hulu

Nintendo
Shonen Jump.

Recently cancelled HBO and Crunchyroll to save a little money but both will come back in time when I'm really burning to watch something on them.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Right now, Netflix (shared) and Gamepass Ultimate.

When Ultimate lasts out, I'll only renew Gamepass for console (if any). And I've used promotions and codes and such so I've got 15 and a half months for like 42 euro. I'd not subscribe to Live Gold if it weren't on Gamepass Ultimate.

Netflix is 3,50 euro per month for me right now but they'll charge 4 soon so maybe I'll bail out soon too.

Stopped paying ps plus some time ago because fuck that shit. Tried ps now trial and it's ok but shit's way too expensive for what it offers right now.

I'm fine about having Netflix and console gamepass right now, at these prices, or on and off as things that are interesting come and go. I wouldn't pay Netflix by myself, too fucking expensive.

I won't pay spotify because too much money and/or nobody to share with, but I would if the circumstances were right.

Oh I may still be inside a Crunchyroll monthI got somewhere but that's quite uninteresting to me at the moment. I subbed once for a couple months though, in the past. Maybe will again sporadically.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Netflix and Prime (Prime only until August), XBL Gold, and Game Pass Ultimate. That's all we have at the moment, and it's suitable. I'd be willing to drop a few more dollars for the right service (WoW, for example, or maybe Ubisoft's service), but for the most part I'm happy with what we have access to.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Spotify and PS+ are basically utilities. Haven't lapsed on any of those in years.

Everything else is as needed . Did a month of CBS for Star Trek. A couple months of Showtime for Billions & Escape from Dannemora. Basic Hulu is free with Spotify but I'll upgrade to non-commercials soon to catch up on Handmaid's Tale

Last edited:

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Prime (I'll let that lapse since they more than doubled the price).

And a GDrive sub I share with another person.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
TV- Netflix, Amazon, Hulu (soon Disney but very likely dropping Hulu and Netflix to month to month)

Gaming - XBL, XGPU, EA Access, PS+, Switch Online (dropping Switch and likely PS+ for the first time since I first started subscribing)

Music - Amazon or Spotify depends on which service has the better deals

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Netflix, PS+ and Switch Online.

I dumped Spotify and I would dump Switch online if it wasnt necessary for games like Splatoon to be enjoyable. PS+ is paid for in advanced until like the end of next year but I would probably have cancelled it if it wasnt so.

Will get Disney+ when it comes to Australia. Or maybe a VPN then I dont have to wait.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
Too many for sure.

Netflix
Hulu
Amazon Prime
CBS All Access
MLB.TV
Spotify
Switch Online
PS+ (I'm going to let this lapse soon though)

Dola

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Spotify, Netflix, Amazon prime, crunchyroll, Nintendo online and PS+

Never thought about it but that is too much.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
  • Netflix
  • Amazon Prime
  • Crunchyroll
  • PS+
  • Game Pass
  • Nintendo Online
  • EDGE subscription
  • Wireframe subscription
  • Patreon (Contrapoints)
  • Giant Bomb sub
  • Spotify

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Netflix (although that's through T-Mobile), Hulu, ESPN+, Giant Bomb, PC Game Pass, Origin Access, Spotify. I think that's all of them.