• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How many phone screens have you cracked?

Votes: 238 23.4%

Votes: 69 6.8%

Votes: 29 2.9%

Votes: 9 0.9%
  • 5-10

Votes: 9 0.9%
  • I lost count after 10

Votes: 3 0.3%
  • None

Votes: 660 64.9%

• Total voters

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Just your own phones, not someone else, though that'd be an interesting discussion too.

How many screens have you laid waste too, whether accidentally or intentionally?

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Just one, my iPhone 3GS. I'm pretty rough with my phones too, IDK if I'm just lucky or if people just really toss their shit around.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Just my LG Flex. And that wasn't my fault. I had it in my hand when I almost got hit by a car as a pedestrian so I basically dropped it because I was diving out the way.

Many

Sep 17, 2018
2. The first one was from a relatively old phone (4 years), so I wasn't mad. The second one was from a phone 1.5 years old, I was so pissed.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
One. Fell and landed on the concrete outside my work. I've had small scratches on all my phones, but only one has fallen and cracked. The screen itself just broke and had to get a new phone.

Give

Oct 27, 2017
Oakland, CA
I never learn my lesson. I think I've cracked >75% of the ones that I've owned. Currently writing this with a cracked phone with no case.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten cracks on the edge of a screen, or the back of a phone, but never across the parts that matter. I said 0 for this poll.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Surprisingly, none.

I did crack the screen of a 4th generation iPod tho. That was a sad day.

MajorTom

Nov 5, 2017
England
Just one, but only the glass not the actual panel.

It was a Samsung galaxy s8, happened about a month after I bought it. Took it as a sign that I should have stuck to iPhones 😂

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I've dropped different phones over a hundred times and I always used a sturdy case. It never cracked, until one day it did. Now I've been dealing with that cracked screen for like a year and it sucks

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Never cracked a screen (knock on wood), and only had one phone straight up fail before it was replaced (Blackberry Pearl Flip).

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Just one.

My OG iPhone...the day that the case for it was coming in the mail. :(

I was in college, had my bed lofted above my desk in my dorm room, alarm on the phone went off. I reached for the phone and instead pushed it off the edge of the bed. It hit a metal support beam on the way down and had a crack in the corner for the rest of its days.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Once. It was my iPhone 4 I think? I went a single day shortly after buying it thinking "man, I don't need this case, I'm not that clumsy, I'm not going to drop it", and of course that night when I was getting into my car after work I flip the thing out of my pocket and smash it onto the concrete.

I have never had an unprotected phone, and thus cracked screen phone, ever since. Cracked the shit out of several screen protectors though!

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
None. I've always used a case and tempered glass screen protector. I cracked my case dropping my old iPhone out of my lap like three times, but thankfully the phone itself was always unmarked.

OtterBox Defenders are clunky but they sure do their job.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
one, an old beat up iphone (4? iirc) that tumbled onto the concrete after a minor bike accident. The front glass completely shattered and the digitizer stopped working. I keep my phones in sturdy cases now, and so last year when I was hit by a car on my bike, my phone came out unscathed despite smashing into the asphalt.

edit: not a phone, but I also cracked the glass on an ipod touch when I bent down in my driveway and the damn thing slipped out of my pocket and fell like 12 inches onto the concrete. Of course it had to land on a corner.

Last edited:

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Always keep mine with a case and screen protector.

Did crack a few protectors tho lol

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
I think I've only cracked like the corner of a screen. I just don't drop them too often, and I have screen protectors.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Only one. Was an iPhone 6S I use exclusively for CarPlay.
Somehow got the USB cable hooked on some cargo shorts. Went to exit the car and the phone got slingshot'd out of the driver door and to the asphalt. Just a freak act of physics (or divine punishment for wearing cargo shorts) lol
Was only minor scratches and crack to one corner. Got it repaired for like $30.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Surprisingly, only one. Can't remember the brand… a Sony one, most likely, before I switched to Blackberry.

My iPhones have withstood some horrible drops, but only because I buy good cases… started out with Otterbox and have now used Spigen for 5-6+ years.

I've cracked the tempered glass cover that I always install, but the screen and the back have remained cracked-free.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Three times over the years. After the hefty bill last time I made sure to get replacement cover for my new phone

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
None and I even dropped an iPhone 3GS 8+ feet onto a concrete floor when I was working on a ladder above ceiling tiles. I had it in my hard hat to amplify the music I was listening to and when I was about to come down I forgot to take it out of the hard hat before putting it back on and it went flying. I was really surprised there was no damage. I've never had a case or a screen protector on my phones either.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
TPU cases are the best - cheap, thin, effective.
I've even purposely shoved my phone off a table to prove the effectiveness of the case. Never cracked a screen.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
With 9 phones over the last ~15 years or so and Android for 11 of those years, not a single one.

Dropped my first Android phone at college; bookbag slipped off my shoulder, phone flew out of my hand and hit a metal hand rail and then landed on concrete. Fortunately the screen was fine, but the phone got a bit scuffed up on the edges.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
only the back glass screen of an iphone 4. I
Every since I always had a case and a tempered glass screen protector

Every time I see people with cracked screens I wonder what the fuck they've been doing to it.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Only one, my current one. I've never used cases or protectors because they ruin the look of phones and make them chunkier, but I probably will in future.

Every time I see people with cracked screens I wonder what the fuck they've been doing to it.
Watching TV in bed. Had my phone on my chest and forgot about it. Dozed off.

When I woke up, it was on the floor and cracked. It didn't fall far, and it was onto carpet, so I'm surprised it cracked. Maybe I had night terrors or some shit, and threw it at the ceiling.

None and I even dropped an iPhone 3GS 8+ feet onto a concrete floor when I was working on a ladder above ceiling tiles.
Phones seemed tougher in those days. I bet the smaller screens and larger bezels helped. I dropped an iPhone 4S onto concrete and it got a tiny chip in one edge. It made me overconfident.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've only cracked one.

My old manager cracked my last phone's screen, though. She didn't know she did it though, because I picked the phone up before she saw she had knocked it down…

It was thankfully two days before the end of my warranty. Then the Apple guy installed the new one wrong which caused a dead zone on my phone so I had to get a second replacement the day after.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Had smart phones since... 2008 or 2009. I think I've cracked 3 maybe 4. I dont sweat it.

I hate cases esp once my phone hits 2 years old I usually lose the case. And that's definitely been the result of some cracked phones.

Ive very rarely cracked a new phone. I don't think ever. I'm usually careful with my phone's for 2ish years then I don't care. Live wrecklessly.

Something I dont get is that we have like .. gen 5 of gorilla glass or something, this crazy break resistant technology and it doesn't seem like new phones are any less break resistant than they were 5 or 10 years ago. Like I busted up my pixel 3 when it slipped out of my pocket and fell like 2 feet and the screen cracked a hairline crack all the way down and chipped where the crack met the screen edge. And then I see all of these reveals for gorilla glass 6 pr ads and it's like... A phone being shot out of a cannon or dropping 10 feet or something.

I dunno doesn't seem any better than they used to be. But maybe it's just selective bias.