• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Ever since the turn of the millenium phone boxes have been disappearing, most have been taken away, most if the ones that left don't work. Now you hardly ever see them anymore unless it's somewhere with poor mobile phone signal or in the case of the UK the old school red phone boxes which are kept around as a tourist attraction. Some that are left have had the phones pulled and been turned into mini libraries or filled with historical info relevant to the local area.

My small town had approximately a dozen in years gone by including a few spots with more than one. Now from what I can tell there are only two left, one right in the town square and one on a main. At least three that I know of got taken away during lockdown.

Even in bars and shoos they are very rare now, before places would have had even if only connected to a local taxi firm, most bars and larger supermarkets would have a pay phone, but those have disappeared now.

That said I can't even remember the last time I saw someone using one. Whenever someone can't use their phone fir whatever reason they just borrow sone one else's for a second or get someone to make a call for them. For those born after I'd say 1995, they have likely never had to use one. I distinctly remember making reverse call charges to my parents back in the day when I didn't win a mobile phone, which I would usually get shit for when I got home unless it was something urgent.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I can think of one in my town, and it has a sign in it from the phone company asking for any objections before they remove it.

There are some rural towns with a lot of tourists/campers and terrible cell coverage that still have them around here, though.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
there are a few in the town I'm in they haven't removed that are in service but which are basically piss booths at this point.

you still see the old school red ones in villages round here too but they either have defibrillators in them or something cutesy like a book exchange or community art.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
The 15,000 public phones from Telstra in Australia are now free to use (except for international calls and similar). It's an excellent and important initiative.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
There are a few around here, but I doubt any of them work due to vandalism.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
There is one outside of my office, actually.

But in the entire city, I have seen less than 20. There aren't too many left.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I think there's one in the basement of my local mall but I might be misremembering.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
In the uk quite a lot have turned into WiFi spots which is a bit odd as public wifi is pretty widely available

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
There is like ... 3 I know in my old neighborhood that are still active, I think? At least the booths are still there with the telephone in and still seem to be hooked.

Rikalaus

Oct 30, 2017
One or two from what i remember, hardly go into the local town center so possibly could be a couple more there

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
This thread is actually blowing my mind, I thought these things were extinct everywhere, I haven't seen one in person since I was a kid.

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
The public phone service in Norway has been deactivated for years. However, many phone booths (I think around 100) still remain as sort of museum exhibits.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Hull, UK. They're around, I think they're probably more used for doing drugs though especially as everyone has mobiles.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The ones in my town in Scotland have just been left there to rot lol, the ones that were there when I was little are still there to this day.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
There's still a few public phones at government builds, banks, etc., near me but there's absolute zero phone booths in my city.

Oct 27, 2017
I've still got a classic red British phone booth outside my house, but it's got a defib machine installed instead of a phone. Pretty cool use for it IMO.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
We've still got some in the subway system, and I saw a row of them at the mall the other day. The ones outside of that are extremely rare.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is one right across the street in front of my apartment. I can look at it from my office and so far I have only seen shady people using it, especially the local junkies who probably deal.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen two recently. One is just the housing and no phone and the other has a phone but I'm pretty sure it's not connected to anything.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know of any left where I live.

Kids today will never know about hotwiring a payphone with a paperclip for free calls.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
there was two in my village but they removed one, i think the other is still there. i walk past it every day but it has become just part of the scenery now so i've stopped paying attention to it.

i do know that they changed it so you couldn't use money in it, you had to buy some sort of pre-paid phone card first.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
the last time I saw a public pay phone was when people were still referring to "the turn of the millennium" ngl
truly some 20th century shit

WPS

Oct 25, 2017
There is an old style red one in my city thats now an art installation and that's it.

I think I've seen more replica Tardises than I have actual phone boxes in the past decade.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've seen the odd red one but you can't remove those I don't think, well the left over shell that is, they don't function as phones boxes. Other phone boxes, can't say I've seen one in a very very long time, not even a derelict one.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
There's one right next to my place at the corner store.
Not sure where I could find another though.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
There's a payphone at the Chevron a couple miles from where I live. IDK if it's even still operating or if it's just the empty shell of one tho.