• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How many parts?

• 1 - Squeenix is going to surprise the shit out of us this April. I BELIEVE!

Votes: 35 1.5%
  • 2 - I'm slightly less crazy than the people above me

Votes: 116 5.0%
  • 3 - It's like poetry, it rhymes

Votes: 1,341 57.3%
  • 4 ~ 6 - I don't think Squeenix really has a plan and it's going to get out of their hands

Votes: 729 31.1%
  • 7 - A longer yet still rhythmical poem

Votes: 36 1.5%
  • 7+ - I'm in here for the long haul, i.e. PS9 baybeeeeee

Votes: 85 3.6%

• Total voters

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
FFVII Remake is upon us...or at least a part of it. Playing the demo really drives home how much they've padded out the original game. What used to last 15 minutes now goes on for over an hour. Boss fights are greatly expanded and turned into multi-stage cinematic spectacles. Cut-scenes galore at every turn. Areas are just flat out bigger and take longer to get through.

With that in mind, I also started thinking what a massive game FF7 was. There's such an abundance of unique places to explore. When you leave Midgar and go out exploring, you get a real sense that you're out into the world. And Squeenix surely can't do anything less than give all of them the attention and level of detail received by the Midgar-based locales we've seen so far, even if they might not be as expanded as that. In the Remake project, all of these will have to feel like real places and not just the diorama-looking scenery where much was left to your imagination.

1fqvZCU.gif

sOtdeaq.jpg

wma5yp7.gif

kJaU01K.gif

H4wUB7N.png

ktAv03X.jpg

LYFLAOo.jpg

Z7O7WeZ.jpg

KxLPHQA.gif

dx7JgeR.png

Look at these rinky-dink towns made of like three houses. That surely will not stand when Squeenix gets to remaking them.

And what about the open world? What is that going to be like? If they go fully proportioned, fully open world, when will they even be done with this whole thing?

So what do you think? How many parts? When do you think you'll even be done with these games?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be four. They're not going to be able to do the rest of the story in two pieces without cutting a ton of content out in the middle, and cutting content out of the middle of the game so they can waste time dicking around in Midgar would be the worst-case scenario.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I thought they already confirmed it was going to be 3?
And I still think that FFVIIR will be announced for PS5 and/or Xbox Series X.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's controversial but I think 4 so they can end part 3 with the northern crater cliffhanger and part 3 can introduce the boat.

77307-final-fantasy-vii-remake.png

Part 2 Eastern and Western continent, ending return to Nibelheim and new final boss.
Part 3 Islands, Wutai continent expanded and northern continent.
Part 4 Meteor, start with Tifa

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Look at these rinky-dink towns made of like three houses. That surely will not stand when Squeenix gets to remaking them.

To be fair, I don't think any of the cities you visit in Final Fantasy XV were actually that large. Three houses, maybe not, but three small blocks I could see.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Midgar is less than half of disc one. Disc two is even more filled with content while Disc three is basically just the final dungeon. You're looking at 3-5 games here minimum.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Could be four, I still think it'll be three.

A trilogy is the marketing sweet spot, and I think they'll do whatever they have to to make it happen.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, I can see Part 2 underperforming by a lot, and then them rushing to cram everything else into Part 3.

soundtrack

Oct 28, 2017
at this rate, they could do it in 4. however, i don't trust square to fleshing out the rest of the areas like they are for midgar (considering they haven't even planned out how many parts there will be).

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
3 parts. Then the 4th part will get suddenly cancelled in a livestream event and will instead release as a book detailing all that the remade version would have.

Yes I'm still salty about XV's DLC cancellation

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
For me it's going to be one part, when they release the whole thing with improvements for $60. I love being patient and smart.

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
Midgar is big
Junon too but less than Midgar

Then, I hope they create a full game 3 on 1 without cut

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
If they don't want to reveal how many parts it will have it's either because they don't know themselves because of management issues or because they want to see how the first then second part sell.

Either way it's not set in stone so hard to guess.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I think they're gunning for three. I think it can happen too, not every town is gonna be Midgar. It just all comes down to how they decide to play the open world section. Part 2 will officially be the end of Disc 1, ending with Aeris' death. And I see Part 3 taking us through the end, combining Disc 2 and Disc 3 (which itself only had Northern Crater and extras on it).

I do think the symmetry of 3 parts with the original's 3 discs is a thought in their heads. So I'm going three until proven otherwise.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
3 seems to be the most likely scenario to me. My main worry is that we get the full experience in a reasonable time frame. If it's going to be 3-5 years between games and we aren't finishing this until 2030 I'm going to be super disappointed.

Sep 25, 2018
FFVII Remake is upon us...or at least a part of it. Playing the demo really drives home how much they've padded out the original game. What used to last 15 minutes now goes on for over an hour. Boss fights are greatly expanded and turned into multi-stage cinematic spectacles. Cut-scenes galore at every turn. Areas are just flat out bigger and take longer to get through.

With that in mind, I also started thinking what a massive game FF7 was. There's such an abundance of unique places to explore. When you leave Midgar and go out exploring, you get a real sense that you're out into the world. And Squeenix surely can't do anything less than give all of them the attention and level of detail received by the Midgar-based locales we've seen so far, even if they might not be as expanded as that. In the Remake project, all of these will have to feel like real places and not just the diorama-looking scenery where much was left to your imagination.

1fqvZCU.gif

sOtdeaq.jpg

wma5yp7.gif

kJaU01K.gif

H4wUB7N.png

ktAv03X.jpg

LYFLAOo.jpg

Z7O7WeZ.jpg

KxLPHQA.gif

dx7JgeR.png

And what about the open world? What is that going to be like? If they go fully proportioned, fully open world, when will they even be done with this whole thing?

So what do you think? How many parts? When do you think you'll even be done with these games?

don't know but I will check it out when they make a game of the year edition with each part

i refuse to get it one part at a time

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
I could see 2 getting rushed because 1 will sell like fucking crazy. I legit dont know if they even know how to handle it once it gets out of midgar, tho. 4 at least.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think they're gunning for three. I think it can happen too, not every town is gonna be Midgar. It just all comes down to how they decide to play the open world section. Part 2 will officially be the end of Disc 1, ending with Aeris' death. And I see Part 3 taking us through the end, combining Disc 2 and Disc 3 (which itself only had Northern Crater and extras on it).

I do think the symmetry of 3 parts with the original's 3 discs is a thought in their heads. So I'm going three until proven otherwise.

I just don't think they can manage that. They'd have to build THE ENTIRE GAME WORLD except for Mideel and the Northern Crater to get to Aeris dying by the end of 2. And yet they can't even get us to Kalm in part 1. I don't buy it. Nibelheim or Rocket Town are more likely stopping points.

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I could see them never releasing anything after Midgar.

If they do complete it, it'll probably be 4 or 5, although they could try to cram a lot into 2 and 3 and not pad them out nearly as much as they're padding out Midgar.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn between expecting 3 or 4, but voted 3 since that's more accurate to my answer than 4-6.
Personally, I think I'm more hoping for four so that they can properly flush out and spend time for everything. With the first game just being Midgar, only two more parts for everything else in the game just feels like it'll result in uneven story-telling. Guess we'll see tho.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if they have a solid production pipeline in place now I don't expect any less than 4 games in total which means 2026 at the earliest this thing is over. Basically the near end of the PS5 generation.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
probably 3 or 4 and hopefully they can crank them out every one to two years

get it complete and out there within 6 or 7 years at least

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are these supposed to be "episodic" (i.e. few months apart) or will they be treated like standalone releases (year+ apart each)?

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least you should all expect 4 parts. People saying 3 are way to used to everything being trilogies.

And I am being VERY conservative here with that number. This is a decade long ride.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the best cliffhanger is the northern crater, not the city of the ancients and I think they're too close to do both.

The hardest part is the transition between part 2 but you see Sephiroth's ghost in Nibelheim, and Rufus and Shinra are heading towards Rocket town so you can get a new final battle there where everyone meets. You try and hold them up on the mountains and Vincent might awake to help the heroes jump of the air ship, where Sephiroth is causing shit. So they could make up a finale to close off the eastern continent. Ending is the air ship crashes and the date of the golden saucer, which is very bittersweet knowing the dark third chapter.

Part 3 you can make Wutai the first act, no longer optional, investigating the Turks and key stone and Cid has turned the knackered airship into a boat and this was done in the brief time skip between games.

Themes

Part 2 Shinra's world, very industrial driven areas.Two hub worlds, Western and Northern Continent
Part 3 The Old and Ancient World, sailing as an open world, loads of mountains, ruins and forests like Wutai and the Northern Continent.
Part 4 Open world, truly open with air ship and underwater and loads of action.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I just don't think they can manage that. They'd have to build THE ENTIRE GAME WORLD except for Mideel and the Northern Crater to get to Aeris dying by the end of 2. And yet they can't even get us to Kalm in part 1. I don't buy it. Nibelheim or Rocket Town are more likely stopping points.

You're not getting Kalm in Part 1 because they either didn't want to show their hand on how they'll play the open world segment, or they didn't fully know either at the time.

Not to mention from a storytelling perspective the Kalm flashback is a better opening to Part 2 than it is a closer to Part 1.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Three, the second game will cover all the way to the cloud/Nibelheim reveal (yes that means it won't end with the spoiler at the end of PSXdisc1).

It gives symmetry to how I envision part 2 to work. Cold open on Cloud's telling of sephiroth and the Nibelheim incident, and it ends with Tifa
retelling of the incident after she regains her memories as she nursed Cloud back to health in the one town
The rest of the original game after that reveal was the junon canon move, the weapons, side quests, Space and the crater. All of which could be fleshed out

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I expect three, if only to match the "three discs" approach the original game has.

It will be two if they cut out content, or four if they fluff out the third part.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think they could fit it all in 3 games. if they continue this level of detail, i guess 5 parts.