• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What orientation do you prefer?

• Horizontal

Votes: 959 82.1%
  • Vertical

Votes: 209 17.9%

• Total voters

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about it, I'm sure all the consoles I've owned have been placed both vertically/horizontally at some point.

You play these things for like 6/7 years, people don't change up their living room furniture or rearrange stuff during that time?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I guess docked Switch is the only one I've ever had to do vertical (and I hate that aspect of it)?

Twelvy

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
living in a country where earthquakes frequently occur, I put them horizontally

The only one I had to put vertically was my PS1, because that's the only I could make it work :D

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
For the consoles that offered the option:

Horizontal:
-PS3 (Part of the time)
-Wii U
-Xbox One
-PS4

Vertical:
-Wii
-PS3 (Part of the time)
-Switch (Docked feels vertical)
-PC

Basically, whatever feels more natural or fit better in my shelf at the time.

The orientation is wholly irrelevant to me.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Only my busted PS One that would only read discs when upside down or standing verticality, depending on the game.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Depends on the space it's in. I've got a console standing vertical in one room where there isn't as much space around the TV and a console in another room laying horizontal because there's more space in that room.

tohlew

Oct 25, 2017
I think I just got persuaded by (what I thought was the prevalent) notion that vertical consoles is bad news. I had heard a lot of horror stories and just play it safe. But recently for the sake of space I put my Wii and Wii U vertical and it was amazing. But I quickly layed them back down, I'm a creature of habit.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Man, the PS5 looks so weird horizontally. I mean, it looks weird vertically too, but horizontally it looks like it's melting. I'm not sure how I'm going to orient it.

TFaCIRM.png

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
The ones I have connected right now:
PS4: vertically without stand.
PS3 Superslim: vertically with stand.
Xbox One: horizontally.
Xbox 360: horizontally.
Wii U: horizontally.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
My Pro is vertical, my X is horizontal. PS3 used to be vertical, too. 360 would be vertical, PS2 was horizontal. It really just depends on the space available.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just the Wii and Wii U.

The Switch has no other option, if that even counts.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I'm definitely keeping the Series X vertical since it looks best that way. I had my 360 vertical also.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I liked having the Wii vertical because it came with a nice little stand and wasn't too tall. The idea of a console tipping over is too spooky to me.

But that Series X is nice and thicc and I'll def put that vertical.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
This thread is good for picking out who I need to perm for having a vertical console >:)

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I won that Taco Bell Xbox and I'll be Damned if I don't have it vertically to show off that gradient, the thing was designed to be vertical.

Everything else though? Horizontal (Though I only have a Switch, Vita, & PC right now so....)

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Horizontal, but if console need to be vertically like my 360 & wii, my PS5/XSX will be vertically

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Horizontal because the disc drive creates more vibration noise when the console is vertical.

However since I've gone mainly digital I'll likely go vertical next gen. Xsx is designed with that orientation in mind and the ps5 is too big to keep horizontal.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I've had 3 consoles that I primarily had vertical:
Xbox 360 (don't have out anymore)
Wii (loved its angled stand, but don't have one out anymore)
Wii U (still have it out, but might switch to horizontal for space reasons)
Switch (when docked, but I only use that for charging)

Horizontal:
XB1 (just looks right that way to me)
PS3 Super slim (easier to get discs in and out)
PS4 Slim (not even sure if its made to go vertical)
PS2 & PS2 Slim
And all the ones that are made that way (N64, OG Xbox, Gamecube but I guess that one is in-between vertical and horizontal, haha).

If I get a PS5 and if my shelves are wide enough, I will have it set horizontal, like how it looks that way.
Man, the PS5 looks so weird horizontally. I mean, it looks weird vertically too, but horizontally it looks like it's melting. I'm not sure how I'm going to orient it.

TFaCIRM.png
I kinda love it that way. The asymmetry of it is really wild.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Never have and never will, I would be wayyyy to anxious about me or someone else somehow knocking it over. When Sony revealed the PS5 just seeing it stand up made me anxious.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Vertical, much better for airflow but it makes complete sense to me because i've been a PC gamer.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Always horizontal, it's just more space-efficient and easier to build shelving around. It actually annoys me that the Switch dock is vertical. I had to put it on a shelf at the side, with my blu-rays and game cases.

Deleted member 1105

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mine have been horizontal most of the time, but I got a new TV with a center stand recently, and I had to change that. My PS4 Pro is now vertical on the side of my TV, because I don't want it trapped in the entertainment center heating up. I will definitely be doing the same for the PS5 unless I get a new entertainment center for some reason.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
I have never stood a console up vertically. It's never been practical with any set up I've ever had configured. It'd stress me out too much anyways, I'd be afraid of accidentally knocking it over.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I have a really nice setup where my Xbox One X is standing vertically between some larger bound books so that at first glance you wouldn't notice a console is there. Next generation will spoil that

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
I had my PS1 vertical.
Sometimes I had it upside down.

Pretty sure that was an actual design flaw but what do I know

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
only console I ever put vertically was the wii, horizontal is just more appropriate for my set up plus no fear of it falling over and damaging

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Wii is the only one I've ever put vertical. It's the only one that ever actually seemed stable that way. Too afraid the PlayStations and Xboxes would fall over (or be knocked over by my cats).