• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How many are you guys planning on upgrading?

• Yes I’m definitely upgrading

Votes: 1,040 67.6%
  • No I rather wait (PS4 Slim type/Xbox One S, more upgraded system like PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/Price Drop

Votes: 376 24.4%
  • I’m upgrading to PC

Votes: 123 8.0%

• Total voters

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I don't have a PS4 and I'm holding off on getting one for spiderman, tlou2, death stranding, etc because next gen is so close. So I'll get a PS5 day one to catch up

Apo

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding PS5 it depends on price and what they have to offer.

But it is very unlikely that I buy Xbox Next at launch because the Xbox One was a huge disappointment after Xbox 360. Beside that I am planning on buying a new PC next year so I can probably play Xbox "exclusives" there.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting on the Ps5 for sure. Won't be getting new Xbox. I just built a new rig 4 months ago with a 9700k and 2080. I am good for a while. If anything, I will probably sell my 2080 and upgrade to the 3000 series RTX cards.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I have $200+ in trade credit to use before GameStop is eventually no more and PS5 will be able to play my entire PS4 library and support UHD blurays in addition loading and launching games faster.

So yeah, there's a high chance I trade in my PS4 Pro and combine it with trade credit to pick this up early. The only thing that will give me pause is if we're still in middle of this trade war fuckery. Won't want to buy it if it's already overpriced

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I feel like I've always waited for the slim version before, but I have a higher income now, so I might get it sooner. Though it'll take A LOT to make me dip at launch, might wait a year or something. Depends on the price.

May 15, 2019
Sticking with PC next gen, my PS4 was basically a Yakuza machine and any time I tried a Sony exclusive I didn't like it. Between PC and Nintendo I can play pretty much everything I want.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
Probably gonna build a new PC once next gen rolls around and wait for whenever a revision happens instead.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I want to say Day 1, but it's also dependent on whether I can find a new 4K TV that I like; otherwise I'll still be rockin' a 10-year old HD set and I want my first PS5 experience to be in glorious 4K.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With backwards compatibility I see no reason to wait except to get a lower cost by a factor of lost time. But if I move to sell my Pro soon enough I'll recoup pretty close to what I paid at $300 so no biggie. I'm looking to get closer parity with my gaming PC asap.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I've got a PC, so I'll wait for good exclusives. That and any launch console usually have kinks that need to be fixed.

Thufir

Aug 27, 2019
For Nintendo side of things, day one unfortunately. For PS5, I would wait for the revision to be honest. Unless I see HZD 2, in which case I would probably need to be physically restrained to not camp outside a store...

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't buy a PS4 so I'm planning on buying a PS5 if retrocompatible to play all the stuff that I missed.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hell yeah. And i'll be getting a PS5 pro when that comes out too. But if this gen has proven anything to me it is that as an adult there is realistically only enough room for one system in my life. So for the first time ever I won't be bothering with the other systems. Which will make the mid gen refresh much easier to accept.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I have never bought a console or handheld at launch (unless you're counting, like, the GBA SP or New 3DS). Partly because of financial issues that tended to align with launch times, but mainly just because there were never games I wanted. I'm not opposed to the idea but yeah I wasn't going to buy a PS4 to play Resogun or Knack or whatever.

One thing that might be a gamechanger this time around is backwards compatibility. That's a big part of why I've been mainly PC for a lot of my life. But if I can play Monster Hunter World or the Yakuza games with better framerates and loadtimes I'd consider it.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Scarlett day one for me. I've been very happy with my X.

But this might be the first PlayStation generation since 2 that I don't buy on day one. I don't use my PS4 very much and so may just go with a single system next time around.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I wait, but not as long as stated in the poll. I got my PS4 in Aug 2014 (so 9 months after launch) once I felt there wasn't a red ring situation or as much worry about a defective unit.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Depends on the money for me. If it's a $600 console, I'm almost certainly going to have to wait. There's no way around it for me, as I'm getting married this month and will have to rebuild that savings we're using for the reception / vacation.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Day 1 for PS5, I really want to get rid of my launch PS4 which is why the prospect of backwards compatibility is so enticing.
For me it depends on the level of that backwards compatibility. For the games I own I want disc support, digital support, and for the games to behave as though they were on a PS4Pro. Preferably better.

Sure...lofty expectations, but switching to a common architecture and more common parts should make that stuff easier.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to wait and see what they have to offer at launch before I decide. If Halo Infinite marks a return to form for the series and there is a number of other great games for the Scarlett, then maybe?

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I'll be waiting either way. If Next Gen lets me down as much as this in terms of Sony's and MS's first party output / exclusives, I'll probably get a gaming PC and stick to Nintendo for consoles. I'm also sick of paying that much money for Online, so that plays a role, too.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of my biggest hobbies and am already putting money away monthly for an upgrade.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Day one for NextBox if it releases with the new Halo.

I got burned hard with OG XB1 release, BF4 aside, the games on offer were whack.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Yes unless:

A. We have something that damages consumer rights OR is pushes more into anti-video game conservation.
B. There is something just -wrong- with what they've shown. Like, controller only has 1 joystick or something.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, too soon to say for sure. It's going to come down price, games, and BC. If there's a good deal, maybe? If not, probably wait for a mid gen refresh. I've always got my backlog anyways.