• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How many are you guys planning on upgrading?

• Yes I’m definitely upgrading

Votes: 1,040 67.6%
  • No I rather wait (PS4 Slim type/Xbox One S, more upgraded system like PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/Price Drop

Votes: 376 24.4%
  • I’m upgrading to PC

Votes: 123 8.0%

• Total voters

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I'll wait until at least the first revision of the PS5 Slim, I'm not gonna throw away money by buying a console that stops working after like a year or two.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Most important option:

It depends on the launch lineup.

This will sway people in either direction. The Wii U was the first Nintendo console that I didn't grab at launch. I saw the game lineup and I had already learned my lesson from the 3DS.

I should have waited on the XBox One. God it collected so much dust.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I have a bunch of gift cards saved up and I'm going to burn them all on a Ps5

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I'll probably trade my 1X in immediately for a launch Scarlett. I may do the same with my PS4 Pro but that depends on if there's any PS5 exclusives I'd want right off the rip.

Last edited:

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I think I'll stick with pc next gen and buy a pro version of playstation or whatever when it comes out with exclusives I want.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I'll buy it as soon as there is a great title that compels an upgrade. If that's day one, then day one. If later, then later.

Nov 1, 2017
I have an X1X and a PS4 Pro i'll be trading in meaning it's not gonna cost me much to be there day 1 so i'm jumping right in. Going by Microsoft's past backwards compatibility goodness i am expecting my eternal backlog of games to probably run better in some way even though i doubt there will be any Scarlett exclusive games that aren't cross-gen to justify the purchase. If i get a good few years out of it before a mid gen upgrades emerges i'll still consider it worthwhile.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I like to wait for a revision that runs quieter with better cooling/thermals.

Edit:
However, if there is a Gran Turismo at or near launch of PS5, I'm buying right away.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Waiting doesn't guarantee you big savings anymore unless the console you want is severely underperforming. Look at the PS3 and Xbox One; waiting about two years on those got you like $250+ off because of fire sales (especially for the Xbone, where it was like $250 + 3 games and 3 months of Gold + an extra controller).

But the PS4 and 360? Not so much.

Yeah. I'm trying not to sound like a jackass, but launch console prices aren't that high for the amount of enjoyment you get out of them over 4-6 years. I felt the same way back when I was in college and not earning a salary, too. Even at $600....that's $120 a year over five years. That's not bad at all. That's one fucking night's bar tab for you and a date. I'm not gonna wait one or two years and have severe FOMO in my main hobby just to save one bar tab in cost.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
If the price is right then right away as I'm planning to skip the late games this gen (death stranding, LoU2) cause you know theyll be cross gen.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the price, lineup, and my money situation.

The only reason I bought a PS4 at launch was that it was $399 and I had some extra cash on me at the time.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I've moved to PC, so unless my PC craps out and console is all I can afford it will be some time before I even consider it.

It would likely be some kind of exclusive that is a must have that will do it.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I'm planning on it, but if it's like the start of this current generation where the launch lineups are dreadful again, I may wait a few months.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I play most of my games on PC, so it depends on the launch exclusives. Based on the previous 2 generations, I probably won't be in a rush.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I usually wait a few months to a half a year before I go into the following gen. Also depends on the games as well.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
My backlog is simply too big. Launch games would have to be absolutely breathtaking for me to upgrade right away. I'll probably wait for a while

Being realistic, this is my situation as well. Just between Vita and PS4 there's a whole lot I want to play still, and that's only two systems. I don't think the PS5 games are really going to be there early on, so there's a lot of merit in waiting. Also, my experience with having the Switch early and watching the PS4's launch and early years is that that waiting is probably the better idea and I don't personally care as much about being onboard as fast as possible - I'd rather jump in when the library is big and in its stride, and there are good bundle deals available. So waiting for a price drop and/or mid-gen refresh is probably the prudent choice.

The one thing that makes me unsure of whether I'll stick to that is the BC aspect - since PS5 has BC I probably wont' get as much for my PS4 Pro as I would if I jumped right in, even if I just used the PS5 to play PS4 games early on. I'm still waiting to see how things will shake up, but hopefully I'll be able to wait till the refreshes come along.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah. I'm trying not to sound like a jackass, but launch console prices aren't that high for the amount of enjoyment you get out of them over 4-6 years. I felt the same way back when I was in college and not earning a salary, too. Even at $600....that's $120 a year over five years. That's not bad at all. That's one fucking night's bar tab for you and a date. I'm not gonna wait one or two years and have severe FOMO in my main hobby just to save one bar tab in cost.

Damn dude, you must be drinking that good shit. I don't think I've ever come close to spending $100+ at a bar, even when buying drinks for others.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I learned my lesson buying PS3 at launch. Then I forgot that lesson and bought a 3DS at launch, only to witness that dramatic price cut months later. Think I can wait a year or two after the next gen gets going.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I never get systems at launch, especially Sony who I wait for mid-late gen on. I need a library. I'm perfectly happy with my Switch and my massive backlog.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just upgraded my PC with a 5700 XT, 3700X and 16GB DDR4 RAM.

For when next gen consoles land, which I'll 99% grab at launch, I snagged a 32" 1440p 144Hz FreeSync monitor. After reading the PS5 will support 120Hz, I decided it was time to upgrade my monitor.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 day 1. If Sony will announce enhanced backwards compatibility on the PS meeting I will hold to play (at least) Ghost of Tsushima on PS5.

I am upgrading my PC very often. A few weeks ago I added a second (1TB) faster (PCIe) SSD and I am waiting the new Nvidia 7nm Ampere GPUs to upgrade my 1080Ti.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 day one no question.

I have the money in an envelope ready to fully pay it off.

I am glad the PlayStation lull is happening now instead of a year into next gen like what happen this generation.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Damn dude, you must be drinking that good shit. I don't think I've ever come close to spending $100+ at a bar, even when buying drinks for others.

Canadian. So I guess, $80 US?
Like, 3-4 rounds of beers, two appy plates to share, and or an entree, tax and tip? $100+ easily in Toronto. EASILY.

Maybe the cost of living is so fucking high in this city and that's colouring my opinion of this, but yeah, I've always found gaming to be a super affordable hobby, in terms of entertainment time relative to cost.

Maybe the

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
BC is a big seller and I'm really interested in what Sony is doing with PS5. It's not 100% definite but it's highly likely I'll get a PS5 at launch.

Orion514

Oct 25, 2018
Illinois
I'm already playing next-gen on my PC :P

I'll probably still get at least one of the consoles day one though. Need me them exclusives.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Getting a Switch this year or early next year

Will get the next Playstation 2-3 years after initial release

Will upgrade PC /Get new one likely next year

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I think I will be getting a ps5 at launch for sure and possibly waiting for the mid cycle revision for the xbox. Buying both at launch seems incredibly stupid since both of there libraries are going to be 95% the same for awhile.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm absolutely going to be there on day one. Though I'm thinking I'll only get one next-gen console to start.

Technically, I should upgrade my PS4 first, but it all depends on what games are available on PS5 and how well Xbox One X fairs for cross-gen titles.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably upgrade my 980ti in the next year for Cyberpunk. If the PS5 is reasonable I might consider it just for the couple exclusives I'll end up playing on it

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
For sure upgrading on Day one. I'm pretty confident that we're going to get some worthwhile launch titles for both platforms. there's also backwards compatibility(as least for PS5 so far) as well to hold you over as well.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I'll buy Nintendo's next system (Super Switch? Switch 2?) on day one, as always.

The PS5 and Scarlet are going to need to REEEEEALLY wow me somehow, otherwise I'm just pumping that cash into PC upgrades.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder If I'll upgrade at all. I have little time to play and Switch taking all that time. BC on XBX seems great. Maybe that is a better option for me.

Also, I don't know if my favorite franchises will be in next gen hardware. Yakuza probably will be PS4 for a long time. Sonic will be on Switch. I don't if will be a Shenmue 4, Virtua Fighter is dead, arxade racers are gone...