• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Nope I've never been in pain enough to consider it.

I have a good friend of mine that is a professional downhill mountain bike rider and as you can imagine his body gets pretty destroyed. We were camping recently and had got back from a ride and were both pretty wrecked. He had two Advil then asked if I wanted some I said no and he was perplexed and I told him I never take pain killers. This was something that came from when I was younger my mom was in a insane car wreck where her back was just shattered. For a while they thought she would never walk and during physical therapy she was in agony until her PT explained to her how to visualize the pain and get her body to respond to it. Anyway she told me how to do that as a kid and it surprisingly works. I've broken a wrist and collar bone, fractured my ankle twice, tore my shoulder and throughout all of them never took anything. No Vicodin, no Advil, no Tylenol. Nothing. I never really feel like I've ever dealt with anything crazy painful either. At this point I don't know if I'm just used to pain and thus it doesn't affect me as much or maybe I just haven't experienced anything truly painful. Are any of you like this? I didn't ever think it was a thing till he told me how weird he thought it was

What is this visualization method? Your mom taught you how to embrace the flame and the void and you are just gonna leave us hanging?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do they even know scientifically where migraines come from?

there are multiple causes and types and identifying them is half the battle but they do have good science on the specifics of some of them.

diet — allergies — sunlight- all sorts of triggers depending on what type of migraine you suffer. And some are still medical mysteries or not fully understood.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i always keep ibuprofen, aspirin and acetaminophen around

mostly because sometimes due to lack of sleep and improperly managing my stress levels i get rather annoying migraines/tension headaches and generally excedrin will massively take the edge off so at least i dont feel like total shit, i dont see why i wouldnt take medication

Gabriel

Oct 25, 2017
I never take anything for musculoskeletal pain, because to me that is my body trying to tell me I did something wrong and to stop doing it. I try to listen. I will add the caveat that I don't have any kind of chronic pain or injuries even at 48, so yay.

On the rare occurances where I get a headache, hell yes I'm taking some Excedrin. I can avoid putting pressure on a strained ankle. I can't not brain.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I usually don't. Although I recently had a pretty bad tooth infection and that was some incredibly horrible pain. The only way I could get any relief enough to sleep was by rotating taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't take painkillers unless the pain is serious.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't take ibuprofen anymore since learning I have Crohn's, but if I'm feeling pain I'll use acetaminophen liberally. Pain sucks, medicine helps.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I used to not but a couple of years ago I just thought… if I can get rid of the pain what's the point in taking it?
So now I'll pop a couple of paracetamol if I have a headache or whatever. I'm honestly still not sure why I used to avoid it.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I wouldn't use them when I'm in significant enough pain is if I've been drinking. Though I do have some opioids left over from a prescription that I'm not touching. Don't want to get on that slippery slope.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
I went months with a herniated disk and hence sciatica before I had surgery. I don't think I would have survived without painkillers. The pain is just relentless with absolutely no position that gives you even the smallest amount of relief.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I take Advil or Tylenol more for anti-inflammation than pain relief. I had ACL surgery 15 years ago and was prescribed Vicodin. I decided not to take it one night and woke up in excruciating pain, lol.

Kleefeld

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
The only pain medication I took since was a shot of cortison when I had bone marrow edema in my back.
I tried a lot of different mediciation to treat my migraines but since nothing has helped yet I just ride them out...

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'll take a paracetamol if I have a rare brain shattering headache, but for anything else I just ignore it.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Do they even know scientifically where migraines come from?
As Stinkles said, it depends. I haven't been able to figure out what triggers mine unfortunately. I try to eat regularly and hydrate often, but it doesn't seem like the specific diet has much effect. Skipping a meal might increase the chance of getting one, but it might also just be me making up the pattern, considering how many times it happens anyways. Not related to periods. Being out in the sun seems to make it worse, but then again, I also get it if I'm inside all day with almost no sunlight. Just fun times all around!

I got an MRI when they first started at around twelve. At least, I think it was an MRI. I vaguely remember the doctor talking about space between gray matter and white matter or something of the sort, but that it was not conclusive and just a current area of study.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Never. The only pills I eat are for my hypothyroidism.

Also; I haven't had a headache in over 20 years. I can't even remember what it felt like? But I guess it's a thing you would eat some pills to get over.

OP
OP
Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
there are multiple causes and types and identifying them is half the battle but they do have good science on the specifics of some of them.

diet — allergies — sunlight- all sorts of triggers depending on what type of migraine you suffer. And some are still medical mysteries or not fully understood.

As Stinkles said, it depends. I haven't been able to figure out what triggers mine unfortunately. I try to eat regularly and hydrate often, but it doesn't seem like the specific diet has much effect. Skipping a meal might increase the chance of getting one, but it might also just be me making up the pattern, considering how many times it happens anyways. Not related to periods. Being out in the sun seems to make it worse, but then again, I also get it if I'm inside all day with almost no sunlight. Just fun times all around!

I got an MRI when they first started at around twelve. At least, I think it was an MRI. I vaguely remember the doctor talking about space between gray matter and white matter or something of the sort, but that it was not conclusive and just a current area of study.

I'm so sorry you both have to deal with that. I had a friend in high school that had cluster migraines which I had never heard of before him or have come across since and I remember he couldn't go anywhere without really dark sunglasses. He said light felt like it was piercing through into his brain. I always felt terrible for him.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I do if I'm in pain but thankfully I am rarely ever in so much pain I need to take pills for it. Only been on heavy painkillers once in the hospital after breaking a wrist in high school years. That's like 16 years ago now lol.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm feeling pain and there's a way to not feel that pain, I'm gonna go that route. Obviously I'm oversimplifying it, but I always take ibuprofen if I get a headache or something. It's a cheap and easy way to make me feel better. Kudos to y'all that can just power through it.

Weirdly enough, I've some pretty strong prescription painkillers and they don't seem to work much for me. I had a root canal over the summer and Tylenol worked far better than what my dentist prescribed.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Almost all the times I've taken painkillers as an adult was when recovering from surgery. Which has sadly been quite a lot lol.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
I put it off too a lot, and it's never a good idea. I hope you feel better and get some sleep. :(

Every time I'm telling myself I'll take them soon, but then it's 10pm & I feel worse than ever because not taking any all day of course doesn't help. :( Thank you so much!!! They're starting to work so I hope I'll be able to sleep for at least a few hours ;w;

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I've never taken serious pain killers, but I had a infection in my wisdom tooth and if I had the Vicodin or whatever I would've taken it, worst throbbing pain of my life.

I take Advil all the time so I just can't imagine life without it.

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
I don't take ibuprofen for pain really, I take it so I can have some flexibility and to reduce inflammation. I have bad arthritis in my hips and deal with near constant pain. I don't mind the pain, it doesn't often keep me up, but even with the bad arthritis I still play hockey, go to the gym, walk, swim etc. Not taking ibuprofen isn't really an option for me.

The doc and I are trying to push off my double hip replacement as long as possible, and I'm hopeful I'll get into my late 40's or early 50's before I have to do it.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Yeah I don't need any. I almost never get headaches and when I do they're short or I sleep them off. One time I had take some - don't remember the specific one - after splitting my hand open and getting a ton of stitches and they made me feel like shit and puke - though I think that was
More taking them on an empty stomach. Also got some after getting my wisdom teeth out and never used them.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I shattered my ring finger into about 15 pieces snowboarding. They almost had to amputate it. Had to have a steel plate and 5 screws put in and. A year of therapy for it still not to work fully.

I took pain killers for the first time for this and after about 5 days quit because I wanted to drive and do other things. So I just dealt with it.

I take Tylenol maybe once a year.

Nov 7, 2017
I shattered my ring finger into about 15 pieces snowboarding. They almost had to amputate it. Had to have a steel plate and 5 screws put in and. A year of therapy for it still not to work fully.

I took pain killers for the first time for this and after about 5 days quit because I wanted to drive and do other things. So I just dealt with it.

I take Tylenol maybe once a year.
Yea I also fucked up my ring finger (dislocation and hairline fracture) during basketball years ago. Was prescribed some Vicodin (basically tylenol and a narcotic). Took it once and made me super sleepy and didn't even help so I just switched to ibuprofen.

Nowadays I don't take anything due to me not being in pain (besides the occasional soreness from exercise which I can tolerate)

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I've never taken any painkillers, although when I had bad(?) rotator cuff tendonitis (which was so excruciating I couldn't sleep for a few days) I definitely would've if it was available. But I don't have it anymore so eh.

In general, I've just never felt compelled to take any.

The only other thing bad enough--occasional headaches or migraines--can be a (literal) pain at times, but in my case they are nonetheless manageable without any drugs.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Don't really see an issue with it - I will absolutely take acetaminophen or naproxen if I have a moderate or worse headache/backache as it's harder to function by just powering through the pain.

I have taken opiod-based painkillers before, and they're awesome. Too awesome, to the point where I don't keep those around. You aren't going to get hooked on stuff without codeine/oxycodone, though, so people who avoid taking a plain Tylenol here or there seem a bit much. I know some people who lean that way and there is definitely an anti-science slant with them, along with vaccine 'hesitancy' and alternative medicine. I'm not saying everyone who poo poos the idea is an anti-vaxxer, but there is some cross-over.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Rarely take pain killers and it's usually for the rare headache that I just need a moments relief for. I didn't even take the painkillers given to me when I had my wisdom teeth removed.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I usually don't take painkillers but earlier this year I had some bad back pain. It was so bad that even sitting was painful. I broke down and took ibuprofen.

That was the first time in literally years that I had painkillers

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sorry you both have to deal with that. I had a friend in high school that had cluster migraines which I had never heard of before him or have come across since and I remember he couldn't go anywhere without really dark sunglasses. He said light felt like it was piercing through into his brain. I always felt terrible for him.
Thank you. It's not fun, but I'm lucky that I can almost function like normal with pain relievers. Cluster migraines sound like they are another level of hell entirely. I know they sometimes go away; I hope that was the case for your friend.

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, never.

Outside the FEW times in my entire 35 years that I've had severe pain from surgery or that one migraine I had earlier this year.

Nov 7, 2017
Speaking of pain there are a lot of new studies about it and pain science is looking to be in a transition from the biological model to the biopsychosocial model (which in simple terms instead of looking at pain from strictly from some sort fo physical injury or "pain generator" to looking at pain through physical, psychological and emotional, and social and cultural factors). I'm going to edit this post maybe to post some studies since I have to look for them

OP
OP
Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Speaking of pain there are a lot of new studies about it and pain science is looking to be in a transition from the biological model to the biopsychosocial model (which in simple terms instead of looking at pain from strictly from some sort fo physical injury or "pain generator" to looking at pain through physical, psychological and emotional, and social and cultural factors). I'm going to edit this post maybe to post some studies since I have to look for them

Ooh yeah please do. This is probably common knowledge to everyone but I remember a radio lab years ago where they talked about how pretty much every major drug for alleviating pain is derived from chemicals that our body naturally produces. That blew my mind

Thank you. It's not fun, but I'm lucky that I can almost function like normal with pain relievers. Cluster migraines sound like they are another level of hell entirely. I know they sometimes go away; I hope that was the case for your friend.

I hope so too lost touch with as you do most kids you went to school with. Thank goodness you got a handle on yours

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Besides the once a month migraine + cramps combo I try not to, no.

I've been really lucky in having a high pain tolerance for a lot of stuff. I had to get a tooth pulled during this quarantine that had basically rotted halfway and it was only a minor discomfort.

The past month I have been getting a lot of neck/shoulder muscle pain from stress that triggers some sort of a headache/migraine. I can't tell which one it is but if I wake up with one I'm out for the whole day...
I'm really curious if anyone who suffers from migraines doesn't take painkillers.
If that person exists I'm already afraid of them. They must be immune to pain.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I know too many people who became addicted to pain pills that I don't mess with them. I'll take Advil if I'm in enough pain.