• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I pop Co-codamol 30mg/500mg like it's candy due to chronic back pain.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I take 2 Excedrin whenever I get a sinus headache (and right now during the spring that's almost every 3 or 4 days), then only take Advil when I'm really sore from playing hockey (which isn't that often especially now that our season was cancelled).

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
I'm lucky enough to be living in an age where medicine is ubiquitous and accessible, and I'll gladly take whatever is appropriate when needed.

I've never understood why so many people (apart from addicts) are reticent about taking the appropriate medication or painkillers which can ease their suffering or discomfort.

To each their own.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
I dont usually take painkillers. I don't have any in my home and havent gone out of my way to get any.

Last year though I had some oral surgery where they cut into my guns around some molars and then stitched it back up and gave me some Vicodin to use, so I used that the day of surgery. Gave me a three days supply and I used two pills the first day and that is it. Before that, 15 years ago when my wisdom teeth were removed, I was giving ibuprofen and didnt use any.

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The last 2 times I took pain killers were over 20 years ago. Once when I smashed one of my back teeth to bits, and the other when I fell off a climbing part of an army assault course completely shitfaced on a Saturday night after being in the pub all day drinking. Tore the ligaments on my right ankle.

So very rarely.

Oct 27, 2017
+1 for taking hydrocodone when I got my wisdom teeth pulled in highschool.

I've can count on my fingers how many Advil or other "pain killers" I've taken since then. I've never been seriously injured or anything besides a few gnarly scrapes and falls skateboarding.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I have recurring pains (sinus pain, pinched nerves, muscle aches, etc.) and I have no qualms about taking pills.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I had open heart surgery back at the end of March and was on Oxy while in the hospital, but I don't like how it makes me feel so I weened off it as soon as I could (let's be honest, there were a few days especially with my drainage tubes where I needed it) and just took Extra Strength Tylenol instead. It's pretty amazing how effective it is.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
I wish I wouldn't have to take any, but really, really painful periods & also migraines & headaches make it impossible for me to get through a lot of days without ibuprofen unless I just want to cry in bed all day. Right now I'm having a pretty bad migraine & I've been putting off taking painkillers all day, but I need to get some now if I want to be able to go to sleep in an hour or two.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious if anyone who suffers from migraines doesn't take painkillers.

My migraines knock me out for the day if I don't take advils
Same. I would not be able to function if I did not take Advil for my migraines. It doesn't even completely take the pain away, but it lets me sleep and stops it from becoming so bad that I'm sitting at the toilet vomiting and feeling like I'm going to die.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm honestly quite surprised by the majority of responses here. Not judging anyone, but I do wonder just how much of this aversion to pain relief ultimately boils down to society's embedded toxic masculinity.

Nov 26, 2018
I'll take naproxen for the first couple days of my cycle and the occasional headache (they can last for days) but aside of that, no.

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I wouldn't have to take any, but really, really painful periods & also migraines & headaches make it impossible for me to get through a lot of days without ibuprofen unless I just want to cry in bed all day. Right now I'm having a pretty bad migraine & I've been putting off taking painkillers all day, but I need to get some now if I want to be able to go to sleep in an hour or two.
I put it off too a lot, and it's never a good idea. I hope you feel better and get some sleep. :(

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i never take pills. unless im dying, have a long term illness or in immense pain i dont want to rely on medication (cost doesnt help).

Last edited:

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Unless I have a headache, or need to, I don't.

After biking or doing things that haven't hurt me, I'm not going to take something.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I'm really curious if anyone who suffers from migraines doesn't take painkillers.

Same. I would not be able to function if I did not take Advil for my migraines. It doesn't even completely take the pain away, but it lets me sleep and stops it from becoming so bad that I'm sitting at the toilet vomiting and feeling like I'm going to die.

My migraines can be pretty debilitating so it's either take Excedrin Migraine or go lie down in a dark room for a few hours.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even take cold medicine when i'm ill let alone pain killers on the daily.

Eating well and keeping your gut healthy trains the body to heal faster

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I avoid any kind of strong painkillers after one time I took a painkiller for a wisdom tooth removal, forgot about it, and went out for drinks with friends. Never again, was such a nightmarish couple of hours.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I try to avoid them at all costs.

Had a bunion surgery like 2 years ago and took them only b/c my life was hell with out them. But I took 4 a day instead of 8 a day.

I'm 34 never taken any in my life
Does a aspirin count if you have a headache or migraine?
then yes other then that never in my life

Yes? Why wouldn't it count? Haha.

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
My migraines can be pretty debilitating so it's either take Excedrin Migraine or go lie down in a dark room for a few hours.
Sounds familar. Do you have a room that you can get sufficiently dark during the day? In my current apartment, the pre-installed white out curtains don't do a good job, particularly in the bathroom. When I'm sitting at the toilet or in the shower (it's soothing), all lights are off and now I wear an eye mask.

Aisod

Mar 21, 2020
Only took them after my ACL reconstruction for a couple days. Otherwise I avoid them as well.

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
Don't take any medications. The only physical pain I ever deal with are headaches when I'm hungover, and I just ride it out.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Sounds familar. Do you have a room that you can get sufficiently dark during the day? In my current apartment, the pre-installed white out curtains don't do a good job, particularly in the bathroom. When I'm sitting at the toilet or in the shower (it's soothing), all lights are off and now I wear an eye mask.

I use a eye mask and just go lie down in our bedroom. I normally get floaters ahead of time and I can stave off the migraine with lots of water and Excedrin, but sometimes it doesn't work.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I only take paracetamol when I have a headache or a little back pain.
Not all painkillers are equal . Paracetamol and ibuprofen are completely safe when taken moderately.

Oct 28, 2017
I never take painkillers myself. I can always deal with pain, like headaches. They're never serious enough to need them to be alleviated.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
I'm honestly quite surprised by the majority of responses here. Not judging anyone, but I do wonder just how much of this aversion to pain relief ultimately boils down to society's embedded toxic masculinity.

I like the person who thinks working out and eating healthy means they'll never experience a painful event or injury or chronic condition

kamikazety

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I have to live on them. If you had a severe chronic medical condition your opinion would change real quick.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As a kid, I used to think like this. As in toughing it out without pain killers made me feel stronger. I don't really think like that anymore, but luckily I'm in good health and rarely need to use it.

I get really bad headaches like twice or thrice a year, and a dose of regular Tylenol does the trick.

I smoke weed I guess, but not for any pain. That's really it for me.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I usually don't. Like...once every 2-3 months at most, I might be in enough pain to try something like Aleve or Tylenol or something else over-the-counter like that.

Oct 25, 2017
I take 3 aleve probably every other day when I'm at the office. Sometimes two Excedrin migraine. I think it's due to the lack of sleep, stress, and staring at screens all day. Wfh I've had to take them only a few times but that's because I've really banged up my back on a new trampoline-too old for what I was doing!

OP
OP
Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County

Do they even know scientifically where migraines come from?

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i got a new dentist a couple years ago and her assistant was absolutely flabbergasted that i don't get numbed for fillings.
i try to avoid all drugs if possible

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only as multi symptom cold/flu for congestion etc.

I had/have a serious back injury and nothing really worked — so I stopped bothering with everything except anti inflammatory or steroid shot if I got a serious spasm.

I could take a powerful pain killer and while I'd feel the effects — it wouldn't really make a dent in the pain - just mobility so it felt like a bad idea to risk all the side effects or dependency.

I seldom if ever get headaches so maybe I would if I did.