• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I love my job enough that I would need significant compensation for me to leave. It gives me enough space to be creative and I get equity in the company every year I work. It fits me well.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XdvlIws.gif

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I can't imagine spending 17 years with a single company, regardless of incentives, benefits, or pay.

Maybe it's just the millennial in me, but I don't hold loyalty to a company. If I get bored and I can find something else, I'm gone.

I'm a millennial, haha. I started this job at 21. I LOVED the first 15 years. I've applied for other similar jobs with my 15 years of experience over the last year and no bites.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have my childhood dream job. The pay is so-so and the hours can bad. Stress is definitely high at times. But honestly, I can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I've worked for great companies, on great teams with many opportunities to learn and grow my technical and soft skills. I've loved my growth through the ranks as a developer, as a dev advocate and my various architect positions.

My favorite moments are helping my teams become stronger and looking for opportunities for people to shine.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I once loved my job. They've found a way to sap all the fun and joy out of it over the past 2 years or so.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
I'd say it probably an insignificant amount, honestly. I like my job about as much as a job can reasonable be liked, but if I got the opportunity to never work again I'd take it with no hesitation.

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
I wanted to be a teacher since around 8th grade. Had some forks in the road but passed my last exam last year.

I love my job. It helps that I'm working with adults (higher education). I don't really have a boss, the "kids" are cool and i can be creative. Most importantly, I have the feeling that I can have a positive impact on others. In contrast...I worked in a bank prior and basically had to screw people over.

The barrier of entry is higher in germany (it takes around 7 years to become a teacher), but the pay is much higher than in other countries and I'm a civil servant.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I work as a foreign language teacher (assistant). I do enjoy the job and its really fulfilling to be guiding/interacting with younger generations but still trying to figure out if I have the aptitude to teach in general.

But even so I consider my current the job the best I ever has thus far.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I work for a political lobby pushing different levels of government to do more on environmental issues, housing affordability, homelessness, mental health issues and stuff like that.

The pay is rather shitty considering the kind of skills required. That's the thing, I could make much more working for a shitty lobby pushing for shitty things that make the world a worse place, or I can do something rewarding that doesn't pay well at all (my wife is a postal worker who makes significantly more than me).

Other than that, it can be pretty stressful and sometimes work-life balance sucks, specially because some of the issues at play or considering different strategic moves can obsess me in my spare time. My boss is a great person though and I love working with him, same with most co-workers.

So, it could be way worse and it could be better. I don't let myself do anything for longer than ten years though, often five, so I'm already planning my next career move, thinking of going back to school and considering several possibilities, perhaps starting my own enterprise although I've been also thinking of becoming a forest ranger.

I want to make more money to be able to retire (or more accurately, be fully financially independent) in my forties so that I can focus on my passion project of restoring a forest taken over by invasive species in my hometown. That's when I won't work a day in my life despite probably working way harder than I do now.

JohnPaulv2.0

Dec 3, 2017
As far as I know, there's some academic consensus that the perfect mix for job satisfaction is autonomy, mastery and purpose. i.e. you have some level of say in what you do or how you do it, you have a surmountable level of challenge that leads to continuous improvement and what you do feels like it matters in some way.

Personally, I get these three from my work as a software engineer. I enjoy my work enough to never dread a Monday and am often reflecting, strategizing and mulling over problems related to work outside of work hours. I feel very lucky.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I love the work I do. I just have issues with the amount of work I do.

7-12 History/Creative Writing Teacher + Student Council Adviser

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Marketing & Pr manager here, great hours, great pay, great benefits and not too stressful at all. Though I would still stop working in a heartbeat if I could. I think it's more of a "I have to do it so I don't want to do it situation" I don't really think I'm the person who could be fulfilled by his job...

Statux

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Who loves it and what do you do? I'm talking like really love. You don't work a day in your life because you love it so much. After giving myself a three day weekend, I have a really long week ahead of me that I'm fucking dreading and want something to keep me inspired for the next several hours.
Yes, yes I do. I do freelance filmmaking for bands and institutions/brands. It has quite a few cons (not having a regular paycheck every month can be stressing), but I've done a lot of beautiful shit in the last few years and I expect to keep doin it for a lot more.

I sing on my own band too, we are having a great run even on this shitty times. This is the last video I directed for us:

CursedOctopus

Oct 27, 2017
I love my job as a electrical failure analyst. My job is finding the one transistor in a million (or tens of billions) that's not working and causing a microcontroller to fail. Chips aren't designed to analyzed after they fail, so I get to use a lot of specialized hi-tech tools. It's like I get paid to solve complex puzzles, and when I find the solution, it's like hitting jackpot.

Oct 30, 2017
Used to up until a few years ago love my job (been here 14 years....)

When you see the same mistakes happening constantly though and re-structures aimed at fixing said mistakes - without asking the people who've been in the job for years what the actual problems are and why they happen.

It builds resentment

Especially when you try to communicate with the higher ups with suggested easy to implement solutions and are just ignored. Actually told my line manager I'm done trying to improve the business and I'll just come in and do my job. That's it. Nothing extra. No repercussions From that thankfully.

Also hate how we've all been using the same fancy software for a few years now and I'm still the only one who understands how to query the database correctly. Suppose I shouldn't complain it keeps me important.

Im just hanging on for the ££££ now

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I do! Hard to beat preserving the history of video games.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I do. I deliver packages and I get to meet different people every day and almost all of them (😅) are really happy to see me.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a technical writer, and have been for 10 years (well, it'll be 10 years in July). So far I've worked for Rockwell Automation, Blizzard Entertainment, and I'm currently at Google. That's three of the biggest names in their respective industries and yeah, I absolutely love what I do.
How do you go about getting into the technical writing field? I don't know if it is something I would love, but I'd probably at least be good at it.

War Eagle

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I am definitely one of the lucky few who do. I'm an educator and advisor in higher education. Teaching students plus guiding, and mentoring those who seek it towards successfully achieving their goals is something that I look forward to every day. I can't wait until we are past this pandemic and I can have face-to-face meetings again... Zoom is starting to get real tiring.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy my job(s).

AMA.

Pre-covid, I'd give my job as accountant an 8/10. The work itself is okay, but physically going to different clients each week and having a good time with collegeas is what made it great. After 10 months of WFH, it's getting more and more miserable. All the boring and stressful parts are amplified and the social aspect is mostly gone. 4.5/10.

Not the same job, but yeah if I had to work away from my co-workers life would be a lot more miserable.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
Love my job. Been doing 3D rendering/animation for over 15 years. Let me tell you it was a struggle in the beginning years. I always managed to have a job doing 3D but switching around companies was hard since there wasn't a ton of options in the beginning, unless you were like top talent working in movies/commercials. Most companies I was at just considered me like this fun play thing, they could use just sometimes on projects. Fast forward to today and I feel extremely loved and appreciated at the company I'm at. I think people now realize a 3D artist can do what a photographer does cheaper and in less time. Plus the ability to change elements around much much faster. The pandemic sucks but the one good thing is now everyone realized you can do work from home just fine. I now work strictly remote and I don't think I could ever go back to working in a office. It is such a waste of time having to commute (even if it is just 20 minutes) and having so many distractions with people coming to your desk or wanting to just chat.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
It's fine, I get to be creative, so that's fun, but sometimes it does feel like I'm being sucked dry of all my creativity
But overall I have it really good, so can't complain.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I love my job, just wish the pay got better. But that's mental health for you!

Trainee counsellor on the side and wow is it amazing! I can't wait to be a qualified counselor.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I love my job. I teach junior high and high school students in Japan. Decent pay, lots of time off, good hours, great students and coworkers, etc.

There is one major problem though, I work in an office with 3 other native teachers. One of them is a narcissistic Australian woman who I can't stand. I spend every second I'm around her wondering why I am in this situation. It causes me quite a bit of stress but I really want to stick with this job. One of my other coworkers feels the same which causes the mood in our office to be far from pleasant.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
I love my job. Been with the same corporate multinational company 15 years, right out of school(landed the entry level job in my early 20's). Looking back, the first couple of positions were crazy fucking hard, and there were frustrations and times I wanted to tap out.

But I grinded it out and levelled up, took various promotions, gained more experience, took more varied promotions. And currently am in a role where I can take those smaller ground battles I used to fight for positive and efficient change, and can now implement them on a national level and abroad from a 50, 000 feet up perspective. The money is great considering I am having fun, but it's not just about that(especially when first starting out).

I guess the secret is to never stop learning(the second you think you know everything, you become a rusty fucking blade or a shark who sinks to the bottom of the sea), don't fucking let people who tapped out or gave into corporate culture/politics change you, and keep fighting for the change you want to see. There will be haters, people who want to see you actively fail, but you have to keep a chess game like mentality the entire way. Plan ahead, out strategize others, gain support and allies by building a network of contacts, and take all those skills with you as you progress.

If you come across an obstacle, that's a fun challenge to overcome. If that obstacle is a figurative opponent holding a knife, the you go at it with a fucking rocket launcher. After a while, I guess because of experience or the the way you approach things mentally, it almost seems like you can see the problem in slow motion or from all angles.

Ultimately I think what helped me most was becoming a chameleon of sorts, or jack of all trades. And also having more than one "fight style" or way of doing things. Which is what I see often occur with those who try to oppose your ideals or those who try their own. By switching things up constantly, it throws off other folks.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine anyone really loving their job unless they're in something creative.

I love my retail/office job said no one ever.
Honestly I sometimes wish I had a simple office job. It seems quiet. Sometimes I just wanna be able to put on some music and work in peace and silence. Unfortunately I have to constantly socialize and it gets so draining.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i like it but i can't say i love it. i would love it if co workers weren't so unmotivated and sometimes lazy.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
oof, this is tough. i cant say i "love" my job, and currently my schedule is really fucked up (ive worked every day so far this month, with no end in sight - shortest day is 3 hours, longest day is 15), but its also... really really stupidly easy. as in, the majority of my current work day is spent sitting in a chair reading a book or messing around on my phone. im so good at it, i was recently offered training for a promotion to upper management. i could get work elsewhere that maybe pays better but requires a lot more genuine labor out of me, and i work in a pretty rad place, so...

i enjoy working at the site i work at and would like to stay there; its not satisfying work even in the slightest; i get paid a nice amount for essentially doing "nothing" for most of my day. like i said, its hard to say im overjoyed with my work, but as the old song goes..."if you cant be with the one you love", and all that.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
I'm doing what I thought I would be doing for my career since I was probably 14 or 15. My work is in a field closely related to one of my main interests. My salary is pretty good. So uh those are all good.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I'm VERY jealous of people who love their jobs.

I really like my coworkers and my managers are alright, but the job itself is meh and it's not a career job for me.

I honestly just don't know what to do career-wise and the few things that I can think of seem like there's no jobs anywhere.

I've been thinking of doing a paid aptitude test when covid is over to see if that helps at all.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
I love my job. 13 years with the company and working from home. Even if i were back in the office, i'd still love it.

Zeshakag

Oct 28, 2017
I love my job and my coworkers, from our lowest level to the owner, are the best group of people I've met. I'm so lucky that I get to work with them, they are all a very positive influence on my life. The work I'm doing could probably fetch way more elsewhere, but at this point, I'm loving the experience that I'm picking up, and the mental comfort. People challenge me in positive ways and I'm growing and picking up lots of different experience after starting off as just a password monkey, and transitioning into management. Plus, fully covered health insurance and retirement. I don't know how people can get by without covered health insurance...the premiums are so fuckin insane.

Getting paid comfortably while not dreading work for 8 hours a day provides you with enough emotional space to focus on self development and introspection. It's seriously a huge advantage.

ferma

Oct 27, 2017
La Jolla
IT Strategy Sourcing. Health issues have taken some of the wind out of my sails, but I couldn't imagine dong anything else.

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
I do. It's a little dangerous, but easy.

I install lightning protection, or as I like to tell my clients I make faraday cages for your house, structure or what have you. It's financially rewarding and so far has not been affected by the pandemic. I travel all over the tri-state area so I get to visit areas I wouldn't have before.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I do. Sure there are some days that are more challenging than others but I feel good about guiding my team to meet those challenges. I very much enjoy managing people and finding out what makes each person tick and how to empower them to maximize their potential. I enjoy creating teams that might not look good on paper but function really well because I take the time to understand the personalities and what drives those involved.

Mainly I really love the company I work for. It's a great place that really looks out for the employees. We aren't a huge employer we would be what I'd call and medium-size company (under 500) and it really makes a difference. I've been on the opposite end of the spectrum and have worked for giant corps. I could never go back now. It would take a truckload of money to get me to leave anyway.

I'm in upper management at a company that builds and supports equipment and software for the Real Estate industry.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
How do you go about getting into the technical writing field? I don't know if it is something I would love, but I'd probably at least be good at it.

In my case, you use a friend to get an interview and get hired on as a contractor, then go from there.

Most people tend to stumble into it from another form of writing or from an engineering role. You can study tech comms in college for sure, but if you're already out, there's plenty of blogs out there to look into the field. Tom Johnson, a colleague of mine, has one of the more popular ones: https://idratherbewriting.com/

One piece of advice I've heard from other writers is to go on GitHub and look for open projects seeking technical documentation. You can use this to build up a portfolio.

Some broad tips:
  • Learn how to reference style guides when writing *and* editing (the big ones are the Chicago Manual of Style and the Microsoft Style Guide)
  • Speaking of editing, a lot of technical writing is also technical editing, so get used to reviewing other people's work to follow proper tone and style
  • "Technical" technical writers (API documentation especially) are in super high demand these days, so if you know how to read, dissect, and explain code in a few languages (at the very least) that'll give you a bit of a boost
  • Knowledge of accessibility and localization standards is super helpful
  • Ditto UX design standards, cause UX writing is a common task
If you want to talk about the field more, let me know in my DMs.