• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Used to love it but my boss left and they've effectively moved me up to management since it's a small company and it stresses me out big time.

riding it out for a pay raise and to have 3 years of employment on my resume but definitely going to go elsewhere in the next year away from management (or at least lower level management). I miss working on a team and not feeling like all the weight falls on me.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Software Engineer / Team Lead here - I love a lot about it.

I work with very nice, very smart people.
I WFH 100% of the time now (and will be 50% once the pandemic is over).
Compensation is excellent (pay, cash bonus, stock options, benefits, 401k matching, etc).

It's challenging in interesting ways, and the job security feels strong.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
2020 was the best thing that ever happened for my job. Got bought by a larger company so the old CEO is gone - he alone was a massive point of stress in my life. And working from home gave me back about 4 hours of commute time per day. The actual work is stuff I enjoy, just internal IT.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I've had a lot of fun in my industry and doing what I do because there has been so much to learn, but my current job has been an absolute bore and I dread coming in because there is nothing to do which leaves me feeling stagnated. I have two open job offers from last year, but the pandemic really delayed everything. I'm still keeping in touch with the managers periodically, but since April of last year I've been spending most of my time at work improving skills to use at the other jobs.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
No. I've kind of come to the conclusion, after getting a CS degree in 2000 and a master's degree (also in CS) in 2014, that I don't actually like coding all that much anymore. I've accepted that I'll always be able to get a job, and that it will pay enough to live comfortably, but I'll never actually like doing it.

Oct 30, 2017
Teacher.
Some years I love it, some years I can't wait for the summer. Most of the time I truly do enjoy my job. Hearing from students I had a positive impact on and seeing students succeed always make it worthwhile.
Had one kid come back to tell me he ended up a math major and got into engineering due to me teaching him origami back in the 2nd grade. That was pretty cool. Or getting students interested in studying abroad after sharing my experiences.
Having decent administration certainly helps. Our darkest days were always with poor admin that really had no business being in those positions.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. I'm a web developer. I love what i do. But the job and people can be very stressful. Also i feel like i'm doing work above my skill level because i'm alone right now (i.e. no one to review my work) and i'm not sure i can handle this for much longer. Even if i meet expectations and everything goes smoothly looking at the final product, i am constantly anxious about my output, scared of things i missed, weighted by increasing technical debt that i don't have the time to fix, and generally just overburdened by the anxiety of being in a decision making position with little experience. Not to mention covid.

So yes but i also want to die at night in my sleep.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've had much worse. It has some tough days sometimes, but I definitely don't hate mine.

Software development, small team.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I.... I think I love my job? I work whenever I want, get paid well, my bosses fucking love me, my peers look up to me, and I'm really really good at it. I don't look forward to working everyday or anything like that, but I never watch the clock, my days sail by, and it is rewarding in its own way. It's not fun or glorious, but I have to admit I enjoy it anyway. I've been doing it for almost 20 years now and I'll probably be doing it another 20 more and I'm perfectly ok with that. If it's not love, it's the next best thing when it comes to work... indifference!

Melville85

Banned
Nov 15, 2020
Me. I'm a news camera operator in NZ. I get to travel the country, meet interesting people, have access to people and places others don't and some days there isn't much on so I can sit in the newsroom and read/play my Switch. It's a 'pinch yourself' job sometimes.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
Hate it. But I'm going to hate anything that takes up 47 hours of my week.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to the day I retire because I've never liked, let alone loved, any job I've ever done. What I do now is tolerable, but I won't miss it in the slightest.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Veterinarian (practice owner).
I really love the veterinary aspect of my job, love surgery, dentistry, helping out patient, talking to clients, etc. It a great feeling of making a huge difference for the families I help.
Not a huge fan of the administration, HR, files, tax filing, inventory management part though. Make the other part possible though.

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm a self-employed animator who gets to pick what work i want to take. I wouldn't say I love it, because I'd rather be gaming or riding my bike, but there are few other things I see myself doing for a living that I wouldn't absolutely hate.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I like my job quite a bit. I'm a graphic designer for a small local company that deals with promotional products. We do stuff for larger local clients like University Hospitals and Medical Mutual.

There's only 8 of us who work here and it feels very much like a family. We all get along with each other relatively well and we're comfortable enough with each other to talk about personal things too.

The work isn't really hard necessarily, can be sometimes boring or aggravating sometimes but for a lot of times its relatively fun. I feel quite happy and blessed to be here even though i know it probably won't last forever. I think in my years after HS/college I was always afraid I wouldn't actually be working in the industry that i studied for and paid good money to get my degree in but I am and I'm quite happy.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say love, but I've consistently liked my job just fine for the last 13 years.

Managing a videogame store btw.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Game dev here, and yeah, I love it. I would be making games for free if I weren't being paid to do it, so.

For all the benefits of being your own boss, though, there is massive uncertainty from project to project, which sucks. But even if it all blows up in a couple years, I'll consider it to have been worth it.

HighlanderCZ

Oct 28, 2017
Like some other people have said, I love one part of my job as a web dev - the actual dev work. I don't enjoy stupid clients who think they know more than we do.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Good days and bad days. Some I've loved for sure but really hard for me to be excited lately knowing that the owner is donating boatloads of money to the GOP.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to the day I retire because I've never liked, let alone loved, any job I've ever done. What I do now is tolerable, but I won't miss it in the slightest.
This is something I actually fear. What if I just hate working and that's all it is? What if It's not my current job structure or the company I work for? Maybe I just hate working. Having all the time in the day to do whatever I want feels so good. And I sadly don't make enough money for that to be motivating. My stress to money ratio is way off.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I work for a CPA firm in Houston. Have been for 3 years now.

Hate it.

I'm planning on moving to Austin in a few months to join the Austin Fire Department, and I'd like to spend my off days writing and acting. I think I'll be happier that way.

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
I hate it, but we are transitioning to new roles in a few months. I hope things get better.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I used to really enjoy it but it's becoming increasingly intolerable due to the pandemic. Our management won't stop taking on large projects but refuse to staff up, meaning we're all snowed under with work.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I don't love my job (financial analyst for a non-profit federal contractor) but it's definitely not terrible. I don't dread work in the way I did a few years ago, and the pay and benefits aren't bad. Location is better too, even though I've gone into the office once in the past 10 months

I don't think there's anything you could give me that I'd love to do for 40 hours a week, though.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't say I love it, but it's fine. Good pay, benefits, and being part of something bigger.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Checks all the boxes. I get to sit on my ass, in a climate controlled building, don't have to deal with overly entitled shits who call themselves customers, decent pay, decent benefits, and excellent job security. I wouldn't say I love it, but have to keep things in perspective and it is the best job I have had so far.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
I hate my job now. Absolutely HATE it. 17 years with this company and I enjoyed 15 of them.

I use to love it. I mean, really love it. I got "promoted" without choice, and I can't revert back to what I was because the company would fall apart without me in my current position.

I'd rather flip burgers 40 hours a week, but I can't get paid anywhere near the same 😥 . I got a $12k a year raise, and I'd give it up revert back to what I was.
I can't imagine spending 17 years with a single company, regardless of incentives, benefits, or pay.

Maybe it's just the millennial in me, but I don't hold loyalty to a company. If I get bored and I can find something else, I'm gone.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
I currently dont and havent for awhile.

With all the bullshit secrecy Excutive leadership does and all this transitioning every week, its been a drain the last couple of months. Only still with this organization because they're paying for my education in full. Only a year out from graduation then im out this fucking place.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
So many people coming here to say they hate their jobs...

I work in IT support and, the way it is today, I actually really like it. I work in a big office and occasionally I have to visit different parts of the complex, so I am not sitting all day or work from home even though there have been some adjustments due to Covid-19 of course.

What's cool about it is that I'm a giver and most people appreciate it: new equipment, updates, method improvements, training, etc. All that on top of fixing all kinds of hardware and software problems. It costs me nothing and I can generally solve everything they throw at me, so it's mostly satisfactory.

That said, I need to ask for a pay rise. It's been so weird with the lockdowns and whatnot that I didn't dare yet, but I will.

Coriander

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I teach creative writing and love every aspect of the position. I love when students stretch their limits and try new things. I love when students make breakthroughs and discover not only new ways to express their ideas, but come to new understandings about themselves and the ways in which they think. I love when students hit self-defined milestones, whether it be a first finished story, a first completed novel, or even something as simple as writing an entire scene in dialogue when they feel their dialogue is a weak point. I really love when students learn to offer helpful critiques to each other, and see qualities in their classmates' writing that I might miss.

I usually come home after a seminar jangling with excitement.

The only time my enthusiasm is dimmed is when I get the very occasional student who has been coerced by someone—parents, usually—to enroll. They tend to spend the entire semester dragging their feet and dampening the playbox atmosphere I attempt to cultivate. Thankfully, they tend to be rare.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently a caregiver for my father (with no benefits), and I do enjoy aspects of it (flexible hours albeit I don't get too many of them, spending more time with him) but it's also frustrating and a bit depressing.

Oct 28, 2017
I always like the people. I like interacting with folks. It was the best part of working in a large hospital for me. Being in telecom, that's cool but I don't know that I love it.

HOWEVER,

My dream of owning a Chess themed bar is as close as it's ever and covid be damned, I'm doing that shit this summer. If only for the moment.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I teach creative writing and love every aspect of the position. I love when students stretch their limits and try new things. I love when students make breakthroughs and discover not only new ways to express their ideas, but come to new understandings about themselves and the ways in which they think. I love when students hit self-defined milestones, whether it be a first finished story, a first completed novel, or even something as simple as writing an entire scene in dialogue when they feel their dialogue is a weak point. I really love when students learn to offer helpful critiques to each other, and see qualities in their classmates' writing that I might miss.

I usually come home after a seminar jangling with excitement.

The only time my enthusiasm is dimmed is when I get the very occasional student who has been coerced by someone—parents, usually—to enroll. They tend to spend the entire semester dragging their feet and dampening the playbox atmosphere I attempt to cultivate. Thankfully, they tend to be rare.
I work with mostly kids and teens and the good ones make things more bearable. But the real troubling ones are absolutely draining emotionally and mentally.

Sep 15, 2020
I don't love it but I can get good professional references out of this job and I need to tack on the years for job experience requirements for future jobs

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I really liked my last job, despite it being retail. But after a family, and covid and scheduling it became a burden so after 22 years I quit.

Now my new job is new stress and has its ups and downs. Mostly downs currently and I've already thought about looking again.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
I was stuck working for banks for a decade and a half convincing myself that everybody has to put up with their jobs they hate because that's how it works. I finally got an opportunity in games making very little money but my state of mind is night and day. I love it.

SalvadorDagi

Oct 28, 2017
Creative Director in games. I've been in the industry for 25 years and have loved/really enjoyed at least 90% of that time. I get to work with creative people (and very NOT creative people were added beginning around 2013 or so), so each day is a series of exciting conversations/compromise.

Biggest issue I have as I get older is referencing something that I believe should be common industry knowledge and having someone say, "What's a Metroid?"

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Im quitting today because every day I work I feel very suicidal and then when I get home I feel fine. Never felt my mood swing from work let alone this aggressively and violently.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't "love" it but I enjoy it most of the time. I have a great boss, a good team, and the work is varied enough that I get to stretch all kinds of skills. It's nothing that I would have wanted to do when I grew up, but it ended up being a good fit. And I enjoy being one of the few experts in this little field, and having my own expertise within that.

Nialis

Nov 8, 2018
Software Engineer / Team Lead here - I love a lot about it.

I work with very nice, very smart people.
I WFH 100% of the time now (and will be 50% once the pandemic is over).
Compensation is excellent (pay, cash bonus, stock options, benefits, 401k matching, etc).

It's challenging in interesting ways, and the job security feels strong.

I'm moving into Software Engineering professionally for the job security (and the money). I enjoyed programming on my own when I was younger, but that optimism for solving problems is long gone. My hunger for stock options and benefits is well intact however.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
I love my job, I work in maintenance for a waste water treatment plant. Every day is running around putting out fires and doing emergency repairs.
I`m a millwright, machinist, welder. So whenever a piece of equipment fails, I have to figure out how to remove it from where it is with lots of creative rigging. Strip it down, fabricate all the broken and worn out pieces and slam it back together and get it reinstalled and running as fast possible.
My days are 12 hours long but really do fly by, I work with some awesome co-workers, so everyone is laughing and making fun of each other all day.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Fuck this job. I hate it. I hate everything about it. I don't get anything out of it but a paycheck. It feels like the corp office actively works to make our lives miserable.

...I had a job I loved before this. ...but Bezos bought the company and closed it. Ruined my life.

In conclusion, fuck Jeff Bezos.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a technical writer, and have been for 10 years (well, it'll be 10 years in July). So far I've worked for Rockwell Automation, Blizzard Entertainment, and I'm currently at Google. That's three of the biggest names in their respective industries and yeah, I absolutely love what I do.