• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
There's a few words in there I don't recognize - maybe about ten in total. But the majority of them are daily words that everyone uses...

Who doesn't know what inconsequential means?

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I did not know evanescent or perfidious. I'm sure I'd be able to figure them out if they were used in context, but off the top of my head, nope.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Never come across sagacity before, understood the rest. But my issue is I know a word but don't know how to convey its meaning to others, and I'm really bad at picking out synonyms.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I recognized all of them because I'm a vocabulary nerd. Learning new words was one of my most dedicated hobbies as a child. I still have family who send me interesting words from articles and such.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Apart from circuitous, hackneyed and florid, i knew or understood all of them despite not being a native english speaker.

But that's probably because most of these words are based on french so the meanings where obvious even if i did'nt know that they existed in english.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen all of them before, but there were a couple I didn't know the exact definition of.

assiduous
deleterious
enervating
evanescent
hackneyed
impute
perfidious
precocious
surreptitious

Ant then there's florid, which I thought meant flowery (the only thing that makes sense given the etymology). Merriam-Webster agrees, so I'm fine with that, even if it isn't what this article says. And same with parched and thirsty, which is the only context I've ever seen it used in.

So 9/100. Not bad considering English isn't my first language and I don't read as much as I used to.

Some of the words here also seem way out of place because they are way too common. Like novice, renovation, conditional or collaborate.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I know all of those but I took a ton of English lit and Philosophy classes when I was in college. I took one course that was focused on Aesthetics.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I knew them all, but I'm an academic who reads overwritten scholarly prose all day.

Love how Kaplan is telling on the SAT in the opening, though. "Where else in the world might you be required to figure out that LEGERDEMAIN is a skill required by CONJURERs?" While these words are not uncommon... where else indeed but on one of your moneymakers. Testing culture is a waste.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Knew the meaning of 91 of them.

It's crazy how close to french (and latin languages) english can be sometimes. I recognized a good amount because they're nearly identical to the french version

Last edited:

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Knew the meaning of 91 of them.

It's crazy how close to french (and latin language) english can be sometimes. I recognized a good amount because they're nearly identical to the french version

While the majority of the most used English words are Germanic in origin, French and Latin derived make up about 60% of English vocabulary in total (if I'm remembering my history of the English language college class correctly)

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Knew all of them but

assiduous
deleterious
evanescent
florid
impute
perfidious
querulous
surreptitious

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
97/100. I wasn't quite sure on the definitions of assiduous, perfidious, and sagacity.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Recognized every one of them except assiduous. Could define/deduce all of them, especially in a testing scenario. Not bad!

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A bit over 80% for me.

I can live with that. English isn't my first language.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
All of them, my mother was an English teacher so I do good at big words. I hate that I can never use big words because no one knows any complex vocabulary.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's becase it is more than a decade since I took the SAT, but I remember the words being a lot more obscure. These are mostly all very common. Most biologists would know what 'deleterious' means.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I thought more people wouldn't know what condescending means.
You would. Of course you would.

Imagine saying anachronistic in a serious manner. Fuck off. -_-
What? Anachronistic is a useful term. It precisely describes a fairly common type of narrative dissonance, for one thing. How else are you gonna say something feels out of its time without being wordy?

It's not even an obscure word.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I know all of those words listed, but I probably didn't back when I would have been taking the SAT. As it is, my school didn't offer the SAT, only the ACT because we were poor lmao.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I don't know if it's my education, my having read a lot of books when I was younger or just liking weird and random vocabulary, but I knew all of them. A lot of them, though, are fairly common words I think, so I'm kind of surprised that a word like disdain or abbreviate would be on the list, but something like cromulent isn't (it doesn't even show up as a word in my spell checking dictionary as I typed it!).

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
1d44f626-ae87-46fa-9174-f3e55d76dc18_screenshot.jpg

I can understand nine words in that book now.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
holy shit what year is it from this site...

Reading through it, I knew 96/100. Here's the ones I definitely whiffed on:
  1. Enervating. Never used or heard of that word, and just to test myself I tried to define it without reading it and was, literally, opposite.
  2. Impute. Never used it. Reading the definition, I'd probably use the word "imbue" the same way.
  3. Perfidious. I know it, but I've never used it.
  4. Querulous ... I always thought this word was "Quarrelous," so I'd be wrong there. I guess that'd be quarrelsome.
why does that link look like it is from the precocious age of the internet

I have a feeling they procrastinated... or perhaps a result of frugality at the Washington Post. The page is in desperate need for renovation, so let's hope they collaborate with some exemplary developer. Wouldn't want to discredit the WaPo for such a nonchalant attitude for their older web properties.

Last edited: