• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How many languages can you speak?

Votes: 124 25.9%

Votes: 179 37.4%

Votes: 123 25.7%

Votes: 39 8.2%
  • 5+

Votes: 13 2.7%

• Total voters

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Really only English. Bits and bobs of Irish and French, since the latter was the language I chose to study at secondary school and the former you have to learn once you start school. But the way Irish was taught I had about the same level of fluency after six years of French as I had after fourteen years of Irish. Couldn't hold a conversation with it to save my life, but I was expected to care about prose and poetry.

Apparently everyone was swapping past, present and future tense words during oral exams between Irish and their chosen language. I can still see the smile on the examiner's face when I was supposed to be demonstrating my fluency in French and I started out by saying, "bhí sé", or he was, in Irish. And vice versa in the Irish oral exam.

Ugh.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can have a basic conversation with a very patient person in German, but I'm going to count that and you can't stop me.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
Finnish and English.

a little bit of basic Swedish and can understand some basic German. also took basic courses in Arabic and Chinese but its been years so i remember nothing lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, the thread where Europeans will make us North Americans feel HIGHLY inadequate... :/

I speak English and French.

Nothing blew my mind more than non-English-primary Europeans being able to speak so many fkn languages when I lived in England.

Y'all are amazing.

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark
I voted 2, but it's more like:

Danish 100%
English 98%
Norwegian 60% (I understand most if not all, but can't find all the words and the propper pronunciation when I try to speak it)
Swedish 35%
German 30%
French 10%

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
2 and a half: English and Spanish plus Japanese that I learned at my Peruvian-Japanese high school, enough to let me read and hold light conversations.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Portuguese (native), English (B2), French (A2). Also learning some German, but I confess I need to study more english and french

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Spanish, english (native level)
Valencian/Catalonian (not 100% perfectly, but good enough)
French (enough to defend myself).

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
my first language is Spanish, I can write and understand english pretty fluidly (sometimes in the writing part), speaking wise I think my pronunciation is pretty bad lol.

I also know a tiny bit of italian but I don't think it counts.

megabyte

Oct 25, 2017
English, Spanish, Japanese.

I'm curious, anecdotally, how many people grew up in a bilingual household and were slower than peers/average to speak as a child? That was me, and apparently common in bilingual households. Still made my parents nervous though lol

Marchbaby

Apr 13, 2022
Colorado, USA
English is the only one I am fluent in but I do know some German. Someday if the stars align properly I would love to become fluent in German as I love the language.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Only 2 fluently. Mostly conversational in another, can get by in 2, and can understand enough of 1 (but can't really respond). So 2. (Maybe 2.5 if I was generous.) Too lazy to actively maintain or learn a third.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
German, English and French - the latter is far from fluently and very rusty, but I can cover the basics.
I regret not diving into more languages when I was younger because I love language. I voluntarily started Japanese in school, but the teacher was really bad and the class soon disbanded unfortunately.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Portuguese, German, English fluent.
Spanish and Italian pretty good.
French a little bit.

So 6 or 5 1/2.

Only learned german in school, and french. Didn't study any of the others either, just having regular contact with the language. It helps that Spanish and Italian are easy to learn as a portuguese.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
2 fluently - English and Afrikaans.

Recently got my C1 certificate in German, so I'm semi-fluent. I have a really good grasp of grammar because of the C1, but I'm not quite where I want to be in everyday conversation. I think that's partly due to my Afrikaans background, though. It trips me up a lot because I get mixed up with what carries over to German and what doesn't.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Just English but I understand Spanish due to my family always speaking it. I spoke Spanish until my grandma died when I was 11 and I was so heartbroken by her dying I stopped speaking it.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Ah, the thread where Europeans will make us North Americans feel HIGHLY inadequate... :/

I speak English and French.

Nothing blew my mind more than non-English-primary Europeans being able to speak so many fkn languages when I lived in England.

Y'all are amazing.
Heh, it's not THAT common either so no need to feel bad lol
The average European isn't completely bilingual haha

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
English, Spanish, Japanese.

I'm curious, anecdotally, how many people grew up in a bilingual household and were slower than peers/average to speak as a child? That was me, and apparently common in bilingual households. Still made my parents nervous though lol

Yeah that happened to my sisters but I started speaking English and Spanish real young. My Mexican grandma and I spent the majority of our days together. So I had to translate for Her when I was really little and we'd walk to the store

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I'd go with three. Fluent in Dutch and English and...okay in German. I wouldn't say anywhere close to fluent, but I've been on vacation there a couple of times. And if I had to get by speaking only German, I'd probably survive (though with a lot of weird looks). That counts as 'speaking it', right?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
English, Latin (no idea why I took these courses in school), and poor Spanish which I'm really looking to improve into fluency.

So I'll say two and one-third because my Spanish only sound good to non-native speakers but falls to shambles when someone who grew up in it and was molded by it starts speaking at Mach speed.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Dutch, English, French, German. I also know some Spanish and Portuguese, tho not at a conversational level, so I'm not counting those.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I speak Dutch/Flemish at native level, Engish with near-native proficiency, and know the basics of French, German, Swedish and Norwegian.

Apzu

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
It should be 5, but I really don't remember german vocabulary that much to actualy use it nowadays, so 4.

Portuguese (native), english (fluent-ish), spanish (pretty good), french (not nearly good enough for a parisian, but I could get by)

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
German, english, french, a bit of russian, danish and dutch and currently learning mandarin.

Deleted member 106050

Nov 26, 2021
Spanish, English and French.

Studied Italian and Portuguese during college.

I'm trying to start with Japanese, but life keeps getting in the way.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Cmon guys, so what now? Those little bits and pieces count as a language??
Well shit, i guess i speak like 7 then!

edit: forgot i also watch anime, so that's 8 then!

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Dutch (native), English (pretty fluent), French (I can make it work, but I'm rusty), Portuguese (I can hold simple smalltalk, order food, do shopping, etc)

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Just English. I can kinda understand Spanish and Japanese but I'm not confident. I've also taken beginner Korean classes in the last couple years.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
There was a time where I would have said English and Spanish. But my Spanish is so bad due to lack of usage, I can barely get through the most basic conversations now.

Last edited:

Ssyem

Mar 15, 2022
I speak English (Native), French (B1) and Korean (B2). I learned French in school and as a young adult, Korean only as an adult.

Language learning is my favourite hobby and also my worst nightmare.