• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much sleep do you need?

• 0-2

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • 3-5

Votes: 247 21.9%
  • 6-8

Votes: 707 62.7%
  • 8+

Votes: 161 14.3%

• Total voters

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Anything from 7 hours is good. I'll manage if it's just 6 hours but then will be getting a couple of double espresso coffee. Sleep is so important to be sharp.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I've managed on less than two but it isn't pleasant. Given the option my body will happily take 10+.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Regularly? 6-7.

However I can do 2-3 in one night and generally be fine that day as long as I don't do it multiple days in a row.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
5 to 6, and then I can't go back to sleep, though I can maybe nap at some point during the day if I'm home.

sythyx

Jun 9, 2018
Can function with 3-4 hours for a couple of days max like 2 weeks, but im in my early 20's i doubt ill be able to do this in my 30's

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Probably 3-5 hours. I wake up at 5am for work, but can never go to bed too early - usually around 11:30pm. Then it takes me awhile to fall asleep. I leave work around 2:30pm though so it's pretty great.

Oct 27, 2017
6-7.

I only do 4 or less if I've stopped up for an NFL game or the draft, so I literally only get that little sleep once or twice a year. It knocks me out of sync and makes me feel like shit for about a week regardless of how much I "catch up". I know people do but it baffles me that people function on regularly 4 or less hours a night.

Oct 27, 2017
I need at least a couple of hours to 'function', but you're not getting much outta me that following day. I can get by on ~5 hours, but after two or three days of doing this I'll need a night of more sleep. Usually 6-7 is where I'm comfortable.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not sure to be honest. I've felt more tired on 8 hours of sleep than 5 hours, and of course the reverse also. But I aim for the reccomended 8-7. Though I rarely succeed at getting that much.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I think routine is as important as the amount of time to be honest - generally I'll go to bed around 23:00 and get up at 06:00 during the week which is my standard 7 hours. If I were to stay up until 03:00 on a Friday night I would be fucked the next day even if I were to lay in until 10:00.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
To function I'll only need 3-4 but to feel good I'll need 6-7. This is assuming for an extended period of time

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
I can do 3-5 in a functional manner for a short time. It sucks and I feel like shit, but I usually bounce back in a way during the day and can typically work. But I need at least 6 to feel human and 7 to not hate myself in the morning.

Coincidentally, I just woke from a horrible night where I only slept 4-4,5 fragmented hours and now feel like I want to kill myself

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
There have been numerous occasions that I've had less than 2 hours sleep and have been functional. I could prolly do 5 straight days on 3 hours. My usual sleeping pattern is ~5 hours on weekdays and ~3-4 hours on weekends. I usually don't need an alarm to wake me up either.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Between 6 and 7 is enough for me to function well throughout the day.

Also, though, note that humans are famously poor at diagnosing how much rest is necessary for them, and most of us is lowkey sleep deprived most of the time. So probably add an hour or two to whatever anyone tells you about themselves.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Usually go to sleep at 12:30ish and wake up a bit before 8, so a bit over 7 hours. I'm trying to shift my sleep pattern to something more like 10 to 5:30 so I have more time in the morning, and eventually be able to be awake at 5am. That's the plan, anyway...

I started today by waking up at 7:30 and will wake at 7 for the next few days, then 6, then...

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I do function at work on 3-5 but i'm dead when i come home so my spare time gets wasted so i need 6-8 to function after work.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I can function with very few hours of sleep. But to actually feel good I need about 9.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
When I only sleep like 5 hours I really feel a difference in my mental state, ideal for me is 7 or 8 but 6 is ok too. Problem is I can't fall asleep early, but luckily I only have to wake up at 8 o' clock for work. In weekends or during breaks it's become really hard for me to sleep in though. My bio clock wakes me up around 8 or 9, even when it's weekend.

I know people who say they only 'need' 4 hours of sleep but I call bs on that. Some people may feel lack of sleep less than others, but it can't be good for you.

Oct 25, 2017
I get between 8-9 hours of sleep a night. People don't really understand the importance of a good nights sleep for their health.

Getting 6/7 hours a night or less is a good way to get an early death. It can weaken your immune system, doubles the risk of cancer, is a key factor in developing Alzheimer's, reduces your blood sugar levels and increases the risk of cardiovascular disease, stroke and heart failure. Lack of sleep even contributes to mental health disorders such as depression and aniexity.

Last year I read a book outlining this and more called "why we sleep" by neuroscientist Matthew Walker. Anybody getting less than 8 hours a night really should read this book and understand why a lack of sleep is so damaging to our health.
I really think it depends on the quality of the sleep. I'm definitely not a scientist but I feel like it's probably different for different people. I personally need 6.5 - 7 in order to feel completely refreshed. And I'm certain that's enough for me because I never wake up to an alarm clock. I just naturally wake up on my own everyday, so I feel that however long I slept was likely enough as long as it wasn't interrupted by anything. There's also times when I'll naturally only sleep maybe 5 hours but I feel like I should sleep more because 5 doesn't seem like enough and then I'll force myself to go back to sleep for another 3 or 4 hours and feel like complete shit when I wake up.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I consistently get 8 hours and I love it.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Honestly I chose 3-5 because 5 is the absolute minimum as anything fewer and I'm having a bad day, may it be headache, etc. 6-8 is what I'm seeking though.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like 6, but if I don't have any appointments then I can easily reach 9 which I hate due to it eating into my gaming time.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Just the next day? Less than 2, even none.
For an extended period, every night? 3.5, maybe 3 if I'm having a good week.
To feel 100% after just one night, 5 hours.
To feel 100% every day over a long period, 6 hours.

With Modafinil, less, much less.
It's same for me in the summer months.
For winter you can add 1-2 hour for each option. It's just too damn dark in Northern Europe :(.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
In uni/college, I figured that I need 4hrs of sleep to function normally, ideally I need 8 hrs but if I sleep more than 8hrs, I'll be exhausted after I wake up.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
The human body is incredibly adept at adapting to changing sleep patterns.

I went through a period of 2-3 hours a night in December and I felt like shit the first week but by the end of the month I had more energy than when I was sloth like and sleeping 8+ hours the month before.

At least 6 hours a night is obviously where you want to be in the long term. 7.5 hours is the ideal as then you are getting 5 x 1.5 hour cycles for a fully refreshed sleep.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
I need my sleep. I need about eight hours a day, and about ten at night.

For real now, at minimum 6 hours to function, but preferably 8-9 for comfort.

Oct 28, 2017
Between 6 and 7 is enough for me to function well throughout the day.

Also, though, note that humans are famously poor at diagnosing how much rest is necessary for them, and most of us is lowkey sleep deprived most of the time. So probably add an hour or two to whatever anyone tells you about themselves.

This is a basic truth. Anybody who claims that they are functioning normally on less than 8 hours is simply wrong. There are countless studies about this sort of thing. The chances that you are the rare exception who maintains a baseline cognitive performance on less than 8 hours is pretty minute.

This is not to say that most people who work/go to university etc don't actually sleep less than 8 hours pretty frequently. It's just that the same people are functioning with some level of cognitive impairment, whether they are aware of it or not.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
To function on a basic, reptilian, level, I can get by with an hour or two for a period of a few weeks - if I absolutely have to. I did this for a full month when my son was going through a tough phase as a baby; my wife stayed upstairs with our eldest, and I "slept" downstairs, on a sofa cushion on the floor, for about a cumulative total of an hour and a half each night, in ten-minute increments.

I was not happy or healthy, and I didn't trust myself to drive anywhere, but I was alive, ambulatory, and I could hold a conversation. I gained a lot of weight, though. Sleep deprivation for that length of time is absolute torture: you're spaced-out, dried-out, confused, ill, and an unsafe misery for anyone else to be around. I would not recommend that anyone do this unless it's an absolute last resort.

These days I get between 5-7 hours a night, depending on my workload, and the upper end of that has me feeling pretty peachy the following day. The lower end might leave me with a headache, but otherwise I'll feel ok. I'll occasionally need to pull an all-nighter for work, and as long as I don't do two of those back-to-back, they also leave me feeling basically fine.

... I'll probably die in a decade.

Last edited:

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Around 3 hours.... Or even just 2.... However I can only sustain this for 2 or 3 nights. Normally have about 6-7 hours sleep.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
When I was covering a film festival for a month back in 2012 I slept 3 hours per night for an entire month. Felt like absolute death lmao. Slept like 12 hours the night it finished.