• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How many hours are you ok with a $60 game giving you

• 10-15

Votes: 187 16.1%
  • 16-25

Votes: 222 19.1%
  • 26-50

Votes: 179 15.4%
  • 50-100

Votes: 76 6.5%
  • 100's (Gaas/Multiplayer/Co-Op titles)

Votes: 26 2.2%
  • Under 10 ( as long as it's excellent)

Votes: 474 40.7%

• Total voters

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
There's no fixed number. If it's on the short side, it should have excellent replay value.

I 100%ed God of War and haven't played it since. That was a good and satisfying experience that didn't feel excessively bloated to me.

Other players might choose to charge through the main story and then jump right into New Game+ to clear out all the side content. That would be a lot of fun too, well worth $60.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
It's never really been about the amount of hours of content the game has, and more about whether or not the content is of high enough quality to be worth the time and money spent. Ultimately, I'm more likely to spend more time in a game (and therefore think I got my money's worth) if I think that the game is really good.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
With more and more games nowadays aiming for games as a service I don't feel like judging amount of time played vs the price is even valid anymore. As long as I'm happy to pay the amount and I enjoy the game at all - I'm fine with that.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
It depends on the game and genre. The games I'd normally pay $60 for have been RPGs and other games with open worlds.

I scale it by the cost of a matinee or full price ticket for a two hour movie. Not that it works as well these days as it use to.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
For me, the right answer isn't in the poll: it's however long a game needs to be.

If a 50 hour game can justify that length by giving me enough variation in gameplay and levels etc. then 50 hours is just fine. If a 50 hour game is just a few hours of content repeated to that length then it's not fine.

If a game is 8 hours but filled with amazing design and no repetition, that's perfectly fine too. In fact those games are the ones that I would want to replay in the future, thus in a way having much higher replayability than longer games.

Any length is fine as long as the game can justify it.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Enough to satisfy the customer. I lost interest with long games. Give me 10-12 hour games. But make them replayable, or at least make me want to replay, or keep playing, them.

Perfect example - I have 8 hours in Skyrim. I have no idea what I've done or where I'm at, but I know that I'm nowhere close to finishing the game. I have 97 hours in Resident Evil 2. It's a short campaign, but I've replayed it a boatload. I've also played the other modes a good amount. There's also unlockables and achievements that aren't completely out of reach.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Certain genres aren't conducive to long campaigns. Fun is what matters.

That said, unless you plan to play it day 1, you should wait before buying a game.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
That's like judging a movie after it's length... As long as the game is great it doesn't matter how long it is.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
16-25 is my sweet spot. Of meaningful, no-filler content. Anything less and I wait for a discount. FFXV is a major culprit here. It was padded put but could be finished in less than 5 hours.

I hope FFVII dont do that or I will just wait for sales.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's like judging a movie after it's length... As long as the game is great it doesn't matter how long it is.
Most movies are 90 minutes to just over 2 hours, it's been a standard for many years with the odd excpetion of course. If a game came out that was completed in 6 hous you bet this will impact it no matter how good it is if it's $60.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Drive-by post
cdc.jpg

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Most movies are 90 minutes to just over 2 hours, it's been a standard for many years with the odd excpetion of course. If a game came out that was completed in 6 hous you bet this will impact it no matter how good it is if it's $60.
I bought Gungrave for 60€ and didn't have a problem with it being like 1,5 hours long. So no, it doesn't impact me as long as the game is really good. Some of my favorite games are 5 to 8 hours long. I take that over 100 hours of bloat.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It can be as many, or as few, hours as needed to make a compelling game. I'd happily pay $60 for a 3-4 hour game that is a magical experience like Portal or Her Story.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
There's no fixed amount of hours but i wouldnt buy a short, low replay value game for full 60$ dollars. Era can go all "its worth it if its the best ten minutes of my life!" but i can find way better ways of spending 400R$ and have more than ten good minutes. Seems folks forget not everyone here is american sometimes, 60 dollars might seem like cheap change to you but it can be a lot in other countries

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
With six hours you pay 10 per hour. If tou think that's ok, than that's fine.

My most 60+ games all had at least 30 hours of fun.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I really don't judge game length by the time it takes to complete, but the fullness of the adventure it takes you on.

Some games are technically endless and still wouldn't be worth $60, *stares over at the dead Anthem threads*.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought Gungrave for 60€ and didn't have a problem with it being like 1,5 hours long. So no, it doesn't impact me as long as the game is really good. Some of my favorite games are 5 to 8 hours long. I take that over 100 hours of bloat.

Isn't that a PS2 game? Times have changed and most people consume things differently now.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Enough of a good time to justify the price. The length in time doesn't matter for me until the quality is measured first, and then the value of that time is determined in hindsight, or as a measure of worth to return to a game I finished or used to play (an MMORPG, for example).

For instance, last time I played FFXIV two years ago, I had a great time but also happened to put a lot of time into the game, so paying ~$40 for a three-month subscription renewal and another $40 to pre-order the expansion that's right around the corner is justifiable based on the previous experience.

If I pay $60 and don't find a single second of it engaging, then it's money (and time) lost, even if the game guarantees a certain high amount of hours played.

Oct 25, 2017
"that's it" is the feeling I'm talking about.

It's crazy how the under 10 hour audience is in the lead here. How rewarding could a sub 10 hour game be that it equals a $60 admission fee.
Why is it crazy? It's not really that surprising to me.

I mean I understand if you can't afford games very often and I guess you wanna get the most bang for your buck, regardless of the quality of the experience.

I remember buying Vanquish for 60 bucks and being done with it in one sitting and just thinking holy shit what a fucking game. Whereas I bought Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion day 1 and never really enjoyed it all that much despite putting about 40 hours into it.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I spent 60$ on RE2 without regret, quality over quantity imo. A short game can also highen replay value for me, as I'm often put off a >50 hour game because of time limitation.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't really make any blanket statements about this. I've paid $60 for games that were short but sweet and I've paid $20 for games that were overly long and bloated. I've found that pacing is a way more important factor than length.

MoneyBee

Nov 16, 2017
A games entertainment value doesn't suddenly decrease due to the price.
I replay games that are years old. How do you price that?

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It could be a hour for all I care. I value replayability more than duration.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I really dislike long games, they always feel like they have way too much padding and are wasting my time. Persona 5 should have been 20 hours shorter and Days Gone feels overly bloated at 40-50 hours. 10-20 hours is a perfect game length, for RPGs extend that to 30-50 hours.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
No specific answer for this one, it depends on Genre and developer. Like if I'm paying 60€ for a Dragon Quest game ot better be fucking special and long as fuck.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What does it being a PS2 game have to do with anything? I'm just trying to understand how that relates to the second part of your statement, because I do agree that people consume entertainment differently now.
Back in the PS2 days those games were very common. Now most games have some form of online attached to them to add value. Then when you add GOTY contenders like The Witcher 3, Red Dead Redemption 2 and the upcoming Cyberpunk I would think a 6 hour game would be very difficult in these times to sell at $60. God of War and Horizon and Breath of the Wild are nowhere near 6 hour games.

I think anything under 12 hours and it would be a real struggle to have much success for a single player only title that costs $60.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
My time is more important than some arbitrary gameplay amount. Show me a 60 hour game, and I'll show you a game with 40 hours of filler.

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't care less. Length means nothing. I'd rather have an hour of amazing immersive, exciting, terrifying, fascinating, whatever than 30 hours of bang average.

Game length is zero indicator of quality and zero indicator of value.

Every so often you get something that is amazing and really long, like Days Gone. What a fabulous game, and it's massive too.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather have a fantastic 10 hour game than a mediocre 100 hour game with a few highlights, it's about quality and not every type of game lends itself well to repetitive gameplay like what those 10+ games usually have.