• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Weekly.

Since a little kid, I've always enjoyed making my space well organized, inviting, and clean - meaning things are both put away, and also sanitized/dusted/wiped down. As I got older, I realized this was so important that if my things were disheveled or I didn't feel my bathrooms or kitchen had recently be truly deep cleaned, it would affect my mental health and put me in a depressive state.

Now married with a house and two young kids, I've accepted that I cannot be in control all the time - and as much as I don't love it, my house is often messy with toys all over the place, crumbs all over the floor, and tubs that haven't been bleached in a while. Ultimately, my kids' happiness is most important, and so I "back off."

That said, just to keep things presentable, I'm still spending a few hours a week cleaning. After the kids go to bed, I always spend about 15-20 minutes cleaning the kitchen and dining area; and usually Thur or Fri before the weekend I'll spend about 90 minutes putting things away, vacuuming, dusting, etc. It's not a lot - and things like the oven and cupboards go un-touched, with laundry piling up and the garage filling with shit - and that's still ~4 hours of cleaning every single week - and it looks like I haven't even bothered.

You?

Last edited:

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Weekly? Like, one or two? I tend to just clean things as I go so I don't count that. I'm more the kind of person who will dedicate an entire day to cleaning every few months.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely more of a "clean in little bits of free time" kind of guy, especially since I've been working from home. If I've got 10 minutes between calls, I'll tidy some things up, put things away. Then, usually once every week or two, the wife and I do a 1-2 hour clean. We live in a pretty small apartment, so there's not a ton of space that gets dirty.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Kitchen/food stuff I tend to do as I go, so 2-5mins after breakfast/lunch, 5-10 after dinner.
Toilet gets a light scrub every 2-3 days.
High traffic areas get a vacuum once a week.
Clothes tend to get dumped in the machine bit by bit, as soon as it looks almost full I'll run it then hang it up.
Unless there's a spill or a lot of dirt the bathroom is every month.(Like last week, heavy rain and my rear neighbour put in a new driveway/shed that redirected all his water right into my backyard, so to stop flooding I had to dig a long ditch to redirect everything towards the drain, bathroom was filthy after that so did a full clean of it immediately after I showered).
I have a hard bristled brush in the shower, so if I notice any stains/marks on the tiles/grout I'll give it a bit of a scrub while I'm in there.

Other than that, about once a month I'll do a full vacuum of the house and mop the kitchen/bathroom. Can't remember the last time the bath was used, but if it's dusty it'll get a decent clean.

I suppose if you add it all together it's maybe 3-4hrs a week?

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I pick up after myself and my wife so there is no clutter or trash, but as for like cleaning floors, toilets, dusting etc. I do very little because my wife does most of it. I wanted to pay someone to do it but she absolutely refuses for some reason and wants to do it herself. I will jump in and help in crisis situations like when company is coming over, but since COVID hit that has only happened for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Oct 27, 2017
A couple hours a week for a two bedroom two bath apartment. I'm really happy with my robot vacuum since that cuts out spending time vacuuming and getting crumbs off the kitchen floor.

navanman

Oct 27, 2017
Dublin
Way too long, probably OCD on cleaning.
Quick vacuum every 2nd day & would "have" to vacuum dirty mat or rug straight away.
Bathroom has to be clean after using it, shower gets cleaned down after each use.

Gas hob & oven have to be spotless after use.
Quartz counter top has to be clean & grime free.

Writing it all out makes it seem like I have a problem!

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
I have 3 kids so...umm...all the hours. Even with them helping out with chores it's still a continuous process.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Like 30 minutes. I have a vacuum bot and usually clean stuff up as I go. So nothing never really piles up

Nov 4, 2017
My house is tiny but have two kids, a dog and a big yard in the subtropics. I probably spend half an hour a day on cleaning the kitchen before and after meals, picking up dropped food, collecting dirty dishes around the house and other general cleanups. On the weekends I would spend an hour or two outside tending the chickens, poo patrol, mowing, weeding, pruning, planting etc while my wife would spend the same time vaccuming, mopping and cleaning the toilet/bathroom etc.

Jul 27, 2021
United Kingdom
Before I had a kid?. A nice good deep clean once every 2/3 weeks.

Now I have a 1.5 year old and I'm using the vacuum every single day. Even multiple times a day.. It just never ends.

Oct 25, 2017
We put everything away and run the robot vacuum daily. Probably spend about 5 hours a week cleaning.

Every weekend I do a project like repairing or improving the house. And some of those projects are just deep cleans of the bathrooms and kitchen. So add another 3-4 hours on those weeks.

We have a 4 year old so there's always stuff to clean.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I spend 2-3 hours a week cleaning. I don't mind too much because I listen to podcasts.
I do the bathroom, dusting, vacuum the floor and then wash the floor.

I wish you could reduce dust so it could be biweekly. I clean the glass shower door biweekly as well. Glass doors suck.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Probably like 3 hours. On my weekday off I'll do laundry, I'll do all three rooms. I'll do a deep clean to our bathroom and the kitchen as well. House is always clean cuz my gf's family always likes to come over…

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Hum one maybe two. Does cleaning the dishes count? I clean the parts of my kitchen that I use to cook pretty much every time I do the dishes so maybe that counts.

Evoker

Oct 25, 2017
Besides cleaning dishes, I only clean once a week and it usually takes me 1.5 hours.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
Almost zero as my wife does all of it. She is at home usually every day and I work 6 days a week so it just works out that way. I used to clean the bathtub every night but now my son does that.

As for how often my wife does cleaning, she seems to vacuum the whole apartment about every other day. She does the washroom every few days, usually coinciding with when toilet paper needs replaced and stuff. She does the kitchen pretty much every day. The only places that really regularly get "dirty" are the entrance, because my kid plays in sandy parks and it comes off his clothes when he steps inside the house, and around the dining table, because of crumbs and stuff. So probably about two hours a week?

Now if we include laundry, then she does that several times a day and it takes a while between washing, hanging stuff out, folding it etc so the number would easily go up to about eight hours a week

General "tidying up"/"putting stuff in its place" we are all really bad at and just tend to move stacks of shit to a different flat surface when we want to use a certain area.

Fatalah

Sep 17, 2021
You and I are the same OP. With kids, my job all day is picking things up off the floor.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Single dad, 2 little kids so I'm with you OP, all the time. I try to "reset" the house somewhat each night and give the place a hardcore cleaning every 2 weeks. Vacuum and clean the floors a lot

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I have an 8 year old son so my wife and I tag team. I'd say 30 min a day total.

We have a deep cleaning day once a month which lasts about two hours.