• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How many contacts do you have in your phone?

• <100

Votes: 98 52.1%
  • 100-249

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • 250-499

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • 500-749

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • 749-999

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • 1000+

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • <25

Votes: 39 20.7%

• Total voters

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking through my phone contacts today trying to find someone and ended up scrolling all the way down to the end of my contacts list in iOS where it apparently shows how many contacts I have total in my phone. To my surprise, I had exactly 900 contacts, which seemed like a lot to me. I don't ever go back through and delete contacts and I have been working in different offices with different clients for the past 7 years so it can accumulate quite a bit. Then I also have a decent number of contacts from dating, college, high school, etc.

I want to see what a normal amount is, is 900 average?

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Less than 20. Or 15. Or even... 10? I don't know.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
do you know where you are posting? you could have gone up in increments of 10 and the poll would work. I'm at like 25 myself.

Jul 1, 2020
Less than 50 across work and personal accounts. I feel no need to save them as I contact via email and chat for the most part and rarely over the phone.

OP
OP
Piston

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
???

Do you guys not save names/numbers of people ever? Maybe I just grew up in a time of high school/college where the main form of communication between people was texting.

My work involves managing 20+ subcontractors, owners, designers, and co-workers with multiple contacts needed per project I'm on too so I have to have all their numbers saved. Construction is an older industry and hasn't managed to move over to other messenger apps and honestly emailing can be pretty spotty. I have emails for most of these contacts too, in general.

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe like 20 or so? I tend to trim it every now and then, I figure I'd probably be closer to 100 if I kept literally every phone number I've ever had, from people I've dated to school/work colleagues and so on and so forth.

I'm not sure I've met 900 people in my life.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A lot. I never delete numbers. Never understood why anyone would. Even if I never want to talk to someone again, I'd prefer to know who is contacting me. Whether or not I respond isn't important. I never answer random number phone calls, but texts are different.

Oct 25, 2017
About 250, but most are from my old job. I haven't added many numbers in the past few years. Just dentists and stuff like that.

I don't answer the phone because it's all spam so I don't really use phone service to communicate with people. All of my personal chats happen on other services instead of SMS.

OP
OP
Piston

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I figured 900 would be on the high side but I'm still shocked at these results.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
48, and having looked through them, I could probably remove almost a quarter of them since there's people I haven't worked with in a few years, people I haven't talked to in years, and businesses that I won't be using since I moved a few months ago.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I dunno, Contacts isn't telling me. Some of them are donkey's years old, just a quick glance showed me ancient email addresses I know are no longer active, and a load of phone numbers for people from college I haven't spoken to in over fifteen years. I have family and friends on speed dial and aside from a few services like the doctor, dentist and pharmacy, it's all I really need.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
K1vfxzr.png

erm... well like
1153 apparently...
That said I have never felt the need to prune, there are high school friends in here that I haven't seen or spoken to in two decades, but I still have their birthday at least even if their phone number is likely no longer correct...
Just this week I have added about 20 just from a recent meetup I went to from which we now have a group chat so that I can identify the numbers in said chat and have a name to it.
I add people all the time, colleague I meet for the first time but we're making plans for lunch, exchange numbers so we can find each other if we get lost.

Last edited:

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
About 25, half of which are work contacts. Who the hell would have over 100 contacts on their phone?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
???

Do you guys not save names/numbers of people ever? Maybe I just grew up in a time of high school/college where the main form of communication between people was texting.

My work involves managing 20+ subcontractors, owners, designers, and co-workers with multiple contacts needed per project I'm on too so I have to have all their numbers saved. Construction is an older industry and hasn't managed to move over to other messenger apps and honestly emailing can be pretty spotty. I have emails for most of these contacts too, in general.

im really glad your work is so busy and full of people to talk to

most people probably don't have jobs like that

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
???

I am also rather confused by the very low numbers.
I mean just immediate family of myself and my partner would bring the number to 20+ Not even counting aunts, uncles and cousins that I have semi-regular contact with.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I am also rather confused by the very low numbers.
I mean just immediate family of myself and my partner would bring the number to 20+ Not even counting aunts, uncles and cousins that I have semi-regular contact with.

i mean, the lowest option is literally 100 lol

i have like 15 family contacts, ~30-35 friends , 10-15 work related ones and maybe 10 random ones (electrician, plumber, whatever)

so, still under 100, and i dont think its too few at all.my job doesnt require me to really ever contact new people, its fairly isolated.

OP
OP
Piston

Piston

Oct 25, 2017

i have like 15 family contacts, ~30-35 friends , 10-15 work related ones and maybe 10 random ones (electrician, plumber, whatever)

so, still under 100, and i dont think its too few at all.my job doesnt require me to really ever contact new people, its fairly isolated.
Yeah, I think this would be about normal. I was anticipating 100-200 to be about normal over the course of a full teen to adult life span. Your numbers are probably about right for me (maybe a little low on the work-related) if I just considered where I am right now. But I have moved states, I have had friends from high school, college, and other places I've lived. I get involved in activities like a run club and kickball that give me more contacts too.

Fun Facts Edit: I have 22 people named John/Jon/Johnny in my phone alone (another 7 for Juan too)! 12 people named Ryan! 16 people named Chris/Christian!

Oct 27, 2017
46 lol

and I don't even talk/text half of them on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.

I pretty much only communicate with like a dozen friends/family/people in my life, everyone else is literally a saved contact/person from work/job/acquaintance i met at a party or something.

that being said I didn't save my contacts from my older phones from high school/early college years. the total would be around 100 at least.

Oct 25, 2017

I could pare that down by a lot (lots of people from college I never talk to, old dating app numbers, etc) but it's real boring and I never bother

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

I'm not really referring to the poll but the people that are saying sub 10 or thereabouts... that just doesn't compute for me.

I just got a new niece. I added her to my contacts right away to have the birthday readily available, not because she has a phone or anything...

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Seven, including myself and the grocery store so their delivery texts come in properly, lol.

OP
OP
Piston

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I added an option for <25, I couldn't modify the other options though.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Just looked, 4... I hardly use my phone outside of as an multimedia device.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
21. I delete people if I haven't spoken to them in a long, long time.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I THINK I'm over 100 so I chose that one. Honestly.. I even have dead people in there so I should tidy.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I have like 15 and some of them are places like the pharmacy and doctors office. I don't keep numbers of people I never talk to.