• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How many consoles have you purchased Day 1?

Votes: 370 19.0%
  • 2-3

Votes: 561 28.8%
  • 4-5

Votes: 303 15.6%
  • 6-7

Votes: 122 6.3%
  • 8+

Votes: 204 10.5%
  • None

Votes: 387 19.9%

• Total voters

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
None, and I imagine I never will do so.

Closest to launch I ever bought a console was the Switch, got one the week Mario Odyssey launched

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the ones since my first, the Playstation 1. N64, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox 360, Wii, Wii U, PS4, Xbox One, Switch. Xbox SX and PS5 on the list soon.

The ones I didn't get Day 1, I picked up within the first month. Dreamcast, Xbox, PS3.

Oh, yeah, and some portables.

Oct 28, 2017
Only Vita and Switch. But I did try to get Wii day 1 I preordered it like a week before it came out but it was sold out I could only get it nearly 2 months later.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Only the Wii U, just to play Wii games because I never had a Wii.

I do not regret doing it. The console had great games, but the console itself was a total disaster since day 1. I still remember how slow it was when switching it on, and it was supposed to have a SSD disc,...

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
Switch for 1-2 switch of course oh and that other game it launched with. The rest i was wither too young or too broke for.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Hmmmm...
  • PS5
  • XBOX Series X
  • Switch
  • PS4
  • XBOX One
  • WiiU
  • 3DS
  • Wii
  • XBOX 360
  • Gamecube
...which makes 10 (or 9, if 3DS doesn't count). I remember that I bought the N64 some time after Starfox 64 released (which was my main reason to get one at the time), so that one was definitely later. Everything before that was either bought by my parents or I had to save up for it, so I don't think I got anything else right at launch.
Most memorable was definitely the Wii, that one was pure insanity, but luckily I had pre-ordered so I was able to enjoy watching the chaos unfold while I picked mine up right when the stores opened.

Last edited:

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I buy a console once it has game that I want to play and can't play on PC. That sometimes meant I didn't get one 1 or 2 years or more.
PS4 was the only one I pre-ordered and got day 0... only to not play much on it until said games came out.

With Demon Souls Remake, it's actually the first time a launch-title got me interested. However, it's still "just" a remake, so I'm not crazy about getting a PS5 this year. If there is stock on amazon, I'll buy one, if not - no biggie. Will get one down the line.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Never. I just can't be bothered with the whole rigamarole that comes with getting one. If it was guaranteed, maybe I'd put the time in, but it's not, so I'll wait.

The closest I've ever come to getting one near launch would be the PS1. I got it a few weeks after it came out.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
5 with this generation and not counting anyone else paying, it's a lot of handhelds. Still think the Go was nice :P

PSP Go, 3DS, Vita, Switch, XSX.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
These are actually my first day one purchases.

Having two older brothers I didn't buy my own console till the 360 and thst was probably 6 months to a year after launch.

Ps4 I also didn't buy till probably 6 months or so after launch.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
PS1 - 5, except PS4 (I was able to hold off on that one until Bloodborne was announced).

A GameCube for my cousin.

And I think a Nintendo 64, but not sure on that one, so didn't include it in my poll answer.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
3 I believe.

Got the PS4 and Vita day 1 and have the ps5 ordered for day 1.

Got the PS3 shortly just launch as I got a deal from one retailer while everywhere else still had it full price.

Otherwise that's all of the consoles I wanted day 1 and came out since I started working and could afford them new.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
PS4, N64, PS2 definitely, pretty sure but honestly can't remember (if they had a Pokemon game at the UK launch I definitely did) Game Boy, GB Color and DS.
PS4 will probably be the last.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Dreamcast, PS4, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X.

Dreamcast was my most epic. After spending months fawning over rumors and news of the system during entrepeneurial studies in the back room, my brothers and I saved up every penny we had for months, and kept it in an empty milk jug.

We had to drive to a town 4 hours away to-pre-order it. When the day came, September 9th, my mom drove us back to that town, I plunked that milk jug on the counter, and I walked away with years of great memories.

Day 1 we scored:
- Dreamcast
- Second Controller
- Arcade Stick
- VMU
- Soul Calibur
- Sonic Adventure
- NFL 2K

Soul Calibur was so incredible, and that was a great arcade stick. That system came with me when I moved out, and Soul Calibur and Marvel vs Capcom 2 became the rage at our scruffy overstuffed house. So many good times back then.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Dreamcast and XB1.

Dreamcast I was a teen and it was exciting as hell, great memories.
XB1 I was much older obviously, it was more like "meh, I really want to play Forza 5 and I can afford it, so why not".

Wabba

Apr 12, 2018
I got the 360 a couple of months after it released in Europe. PS4 was two-three weeks after beacuse of the problem with stock. I have bought the PS5 Digital Edition and i think i will recive it day one if the store gets enough stock.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Not many, when young money was the problem, when you grow old, well there's periods when gaming is not a priority for whatever reason, i didn't buy ps4 until a year or two into the generation. Now that i could say I'm more 'stable' and can afford, why not? New hardware is always fun, and even just toying with the ui and things like that is exciting on its own, even if launch games may not be the most exciting sometimes

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
PS3.
Got Talladega Nights for free. And Motorstorm.
Retroactively a good choice since it's backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2. Although it's software emulation, it's still cool to be able to put in those black PS1 demo discs and have them work.

Don't think I even pre-ordered or anything. Just walked into a store and came out with a PS3 five minutes later.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
The Wii and the 3ds both day one and both regretted it. I got the switch 3-4 months later and also kinda regretted but not as much. I don't think it is a wise choice to buy them at launch almost ever.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I think only the PS4?
Not even sure that was day 1.

It's not really possible to get day 1 where I live. Even with preorders.
MS doesn't even officially support our market, for example.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Handhelds don't count? Then 3!
Well got my Wii U and Switch 1 day before release.
Nintendo consoles always launch for me and ps usually after some games I want or slim model

Boppa

Apr 4, 2020
PS4, Vita, XO, WiiU, Switch, XSX, PS5, 3DS and The Sega Dreamcast (Also PS4Pro and XOX)

I'm always excited for new consoles and never regret getting them on the day of release.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Only the Switch I think because so far it's the only brand new one that released when I was an adult (22 years old when it released in 2017)
Other consoles my parents bought it to me for either birthday or christmas, and Ps5 and Xbox One I bought myself but after launch

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
PS2, PS3, PS4, Wii, Wii U, Switch.

I can't remember if I bit on a 360 or PS4 Pro on Day 1.

Do we count handhelds? That would have me add on the GBA, GBA SP, PSP, DS and 3DS.

Didn't expect to be in one of the lower voting categories at 6 on a gaming enthusiast board. Certainly didn't expect to see 1 be the most voted option.

Why bother waiting if this is one of your principal hobbies? The price cuts to consoles come slowly. I'd rather have a console for its full life-cycle to enjoy it more. What do you really save waiting a year or two? $50-100? lol

Or I wonder, did people get really burned by the 360 RROD and PS3 YLOD and decide to wait for 2nd revision hardware iterations?

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
3. I never got them day one as a kid so the first after I was working I pre-ordered, The 360. Amazon only delivered the games and the controller day 1 though. I had to wait a week or so for the console so I don't know if it counts.

Pre-ordered PS4 direct from Sony and got day one I think and now I've pre-ordered Series X.