• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How many consoles have you purchased Day 1?

Votes: 370 19.0%
  • 2-3

Votes: 561 28.8%
  • 4-5

Votes: 303 15.6%
  • 6-7

Votes: 122 6.3%
  • 8+

Votes: 204 10.5%
  • None

Votes: 387 19.9%

• Total voters

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Switch and Wii. That's it. I only get something when there's enough exclusives to satisfy me or if the console does something my PC can't. My PC couldn't do motion control back in 2006 and I couldn't get a console like experience on a handheld that small back in 2017.

I'd like to know one reason why I should bother with a PS5 or XSX and since I'm a Switch user graphics and framerate ain't gonna cut it 😂, and since I have a PS4 and PC I can get anything coming to PS5 minus a game I don't give a shit about 😂

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Remember waiting in line together with my dad early in the morning for the Wii ♡ The store gave everyone a number and let us in early and gave us some hot chocolate/coffee and a snack. Good times.

The Series X is the first console I get day one with my own money. Was too late for the PS5.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The PS5 is the first one.

I looked up when I bought the PS4 and it was almost a year later from launch.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Dreamcast
PS2
Xbox
Wii
Wii U
PS4
GBA
NDS
Switch
XSX

not counting things like DS Lite/Switch Lite/etc

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
All major home console and portable systems since Dreamcast apart from the PS3......and Wii U fuck I never even bought a Wii U

I also got some earlier systems at launch Super Nintendo for example.

That's why missing launch day PS5 and Series X really annoys me. And I really tried.

Edited as I completely forgot the Wii U existed.
I bought a Wii U on launch, and still forgot about it when tallying up my figure.

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
The Series X is my first launch console. I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 and had almost all the major consoles and a load of other ones, we even had the full MegaDrive/MegaCD/32X beast at the time.

Last gen I didn't jump in until 2015 with a PS4. This time the full BC with last gen and me having a good chnk of savings made it a pretty easy decision to go in day one. Plus, you know, Covid. Gonna need all the indoor entertainment I can get this winter.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Vita
3ds
N3ds
Wii U (immediately sold it because bills came up)

If it's not a handheld I typically wait until I can find a good deal on a used console on ebay.

PS5 is probably the most expensive console I've ever preordered.

FrsDvl

Oct 25, 2017
DS, 360, 3DS, Vita, Wii, Wii U, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox One X, PS5 and Series X. Too many

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
N64
Dreamcast
GBA
Gamecube
PSP
Wii
PS Vita
Switch
PS5
Xbox Series X

If you include revisions like the Gameboy Advance SP, DS Lite, and Swich Lite there are more.

linkart

Jul 8, 2018
DS
Wii
3DS
Wii U
Xbox One
Switch

Not counting mid gen upgrades I suppose ? (bought the New 3DS XL day one).

Xbox Series X and PS5 day one soon though !

Duck Sauce

Oct 30, 2017
United States
N64 was my first.
PS2
PS3 original phat and ps3 slim
PS4 and PS4 pro
Gamecube
Wii
Wii U
Switch
GBC
GBA and sp
DS
3DS and new
PSP
PS Vita
Xbox 360
Xbox one and x

No preorders for the new consoles as I'm Trying to purchase a 3080 or 3090.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
PS2, GameCube, Wii U, Switch, 3DS, Vita, PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X.

The other ones that I tried getting on day one but failed for a couple of months were Wii and PS3.

Harusame

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
The Switch is the only console that I've bought on day one so far. I was originally planning on getting the PS5 at launch, but I think I might hold out on buying it right away, as I need to upgrade my PC soon.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Some caveats:
  • PS2 - could only afford to put in layaway but still camped outside of Walmart for it.
  • PS3 - Camped outside Bestbuy for one but it was for a friend.
  • PS4 Pro
  • Super Nt
  • SNES Classic -does this count?
  • Switch

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
PS5 will be my first. PS4 was close to launch, I got it a couple months after but I only ordered it because there was a price error so I got it cheap, otherwise I would have probably waited.

phaeta

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm.

*N64 (not day 1 but a week or so later on college break; thanks EBX)
Dreamcast
GBA
Nintendo DS
PSP (import before US launch)
Wii
Switch
PS5
XSX

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If we're counting handhelds then 6. PSP, PS3, PS Vita, PS4, PS5 and XSS.
I've never been let down by a PlayStation yet and the Series S with Gamepass seems like too good a deal to pass up for someone who had a 360 but skipped the One generation.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Dreamcast import, Dreamcast Europe, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Wii, xbox 360, PS3, Nintendo 3DS, Playstation Vita, WiiU, Playstation 4, Playstation 4 Pro.... I have now preordered xbox series x. I was set on getting the series s, but have a lot of giftcards made the console free in a way, so why not.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Only one, Nintendo 3DS. It served me well for about 2 years until I changed to XL version.

phaeta

Oct 25, 2017
There is only a few consoles I actually owned day one of their release.

The Dreamcast, The Playstation 2, Original Xbox, PS4, PS4 Pro (traded my launch PS4 for it), and soon enough the PS5 and XBSX.

A lot of my earlier consoles such NES, Genesis, SNES were actually Christmas gifts that I didn't even get at launch but couple of years after the fact.
Same, regarding the earlier consoles. Day 1 wasn't really a thing in the 8/16-bit era. Birthdays and Christmas were the de facto release dates (in Metro Detroit at least). It's also worth noting that the parents who bought these things probably visited every Toys"R"Us in the area for weeks to snag a unit.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
XSX and PS5 will be my 2nd, 3rd. Only other console I've bought at launch was the Switch. I've had many other consoles handhelds included but not at launch.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Stood in line for the Wii, got the second one Target sold at 4am.

Then the Switch.

Now the PS5.

That should be it...

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
PSP, PSVita, and now PS5. PS3 was too expensive for me back then to get on Day 1 and without backwards compatibility, getting a launch day PS4 didn't seem particularly worth it. But I got one not much later when inFamous released.

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
Only the GameCube, saved like mad to afford it for launch day. Went down to my local GameStation (now long since closed), no queue, went in and got the GC, Luigi's Mansion and Super Monkey Ball. Good times.

EDIT: Oh my and also the Switch! Wasn't nearly as memorable as an Amazon delivery doesn't really stick out as much as going down to a shop in your halcyon teenage years.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Vita
Wii U
PS4

And PS5 is next. Getting those other 3 preordered was surprisingly easy.

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
One, just the Playstation 4. All the others going back to SNES where months if not longer after launch.

I was considering doing the same for PS5 but ended up going with a 3080 at launch instead. I imagine will grab a PS5 late next year.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
-Parents got me PS2 on Day One as kid,
-Bought PSP right at launch, Dad let me skip school that day & we drove up to Best Buy to wait in line for it
-PS3 as well, although it was the 20GB ver. with no Wi-FI as it was all that was available from Best Buy at time when I asked my Mom to check during her errands

PS5 will be my first Day One console purchased 100% on my own.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I have had almost every console since the NES but the series x is the first console I've ever bought day one

I think it's usually a huge errors buying a console in its first year but the combo of full BC with this gen and game pass sold me

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
This'll be my first (PS5).

I've gotten quite a few in the first 6 months, but never day 1 before!

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Launch Day Purchase:

GameCube
Game Boy Advance SP
DS
PSP (had to be mailed to me from Japan US first)
DS Lite (had to be mailed to me from Japan to US first)
PS3 (had to be mailed to me from Japan to US first)
DSi (had to be mailed to me from Japan to US first)
PS4 (had to be mailed to me from US to Japan first)
Xbox One (had to be mailed to me from US to Japan first)
3DS
Vita
3DS XL
New 3DS
New 3DS XL
Switch
New 2DS XL
Switch Lite
PS5 (successfully pre-ordered)
Xbox Series X (successfully pre-ordered)

Bought Within 1 Month:

Xbox
Xbox 360 (low launch supply)
Wii (lol)
Wii U (didn't want one at first, then changed my mind)
DSi XL