• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How many consoles have you purchased Day 1?

Votes: 370 19.0%
  • 2-3

Votes: 561 28.8%
  • 4-5

Votes: 303 15.6%
  • 6-7

Votes: 122 6.3%
  • 8+

Votes: 204 10.5%
  • None

Votes: 387 19.9%

• Total voters

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Only the 3DS. Rough start, but I got some free GBA games out of it, and I sure spent a long time using it for Pokemon White.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Thinking about it, only 3 I guess. N64, PS2, and PS4.
Wii was probably 2 weeks after launch. And SNES also very close to launch as well.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo 64 - First "expensive" product I ever saved up for in high school. Pre-ordered from Toys R Us, yep, in the days of a pull a ticket from the aisle. Sad thing I remember somehow being exactly $50 short when it came to paying for the thing. My dad filled in the rest, but to this day I have no idea how that happened. Exactly $50 short and I counted that case like a dozen times before going to the store.

Dreamcast - Came out on my birthday. That was THE LONGEST DAY OF HIGH SCHOOL IN THE WORLD. On top of that, the Sonic Adventure disc didn't work -- known issue at the time -- but I drove right back to Gamestop to get that fixed ASAP. The killer whale, to this day, is one of my fondest gaming experiences.

Playstation 2 - This came out in my first few weeks of college. I had no intention of buying it (thus no pre-order) but somehow FOMO hit and here I am lining up in front of the Sony Metreon in SF at 2 AM in the morning. First day in line. Missed out. Too late. So come back later that day at 11 PM for the next morning's run. Scored a PS2 and SSX. My buddy bought Midnight Club Racing, which ended up being a great series, but that first game stunk and my buddy was soooo jealous. Side note: Riding the BART back across the bay at 8 in the morning with a giant bright blue Sony PS2 bag and reports of people getting mugged for their PS2s was terrifying. Made it back home. Then realized I forgot to study for an exam that day. Worth it! It was an elective anyways.

Wii - Didn't pre-order. FOMO hit again. I was in Orange County by this time (CA, not FL) in grad school. Camped out at Best Buy in Costa Mesa, CA with about 20 other folks, but only had to wait a couple of hours as opposed to all night. The Wii and I have had an interesting relationship. I think to this day the motion controls have served as a deterrent to my overall enjoyment, so I feel lukewarm about camping out for this thing.

PS5, XSX - I finally have expendable cash in my life. No more messing around. Pre-ordered online.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Wii U and Switch.

I also got N64, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and GameCube within a couple months from launch. My mom was pretty all right about hooking me up.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
XSX my second time.
Xbox One X was my first

This is my first time going into next gen day one tho

King_Frost

Aug 16, 2020
I bought a Vita and Switch at launch. All the other consoles I bought were anywhere from 6 months to 2 years after launch.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
PS5 will be the first one for me I think. I tried to get a Switch but they all sold out by the time I decided I wanted one at launch.

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
PS2, XBOX, XBOX 360 and XBOX ONE. That's four. Won't be buying the new XSX day one it seems.

SelfCon

Oct 28, 2017
PS4, PSP, and Vita here. Would've had a 360 or PS3 day one, but those releases were shit shows.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
None.

PS5 will be the 1st one because i want a next gen console to play Cyberpunk. It helps that Demon's Souls will also be a launch game.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
DSi
3DS
Switch

Currently the PS5 would be my 4th time buying at launch, but depending on my financial situation in November I might have to cancel the pre-order.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I had just assumed I had bought a console on launch day before, but thinking about it now I guess I actually haven't. Switch and PS3 were each picked up two months past launch, Wii and PS4 were about a year out.

PS5 will be my first, then.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
This is the first time I've had the money to do so, but considering preorders went up and sold out before I had even woken up, it seems pretty darn difficult to actually get a console day one lmao.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Xbox Series S is the second one, first one was a Sega Saturn. I hope other than that there is no similarity between the two.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I've had four, Gamecube, DS, 3DS and Switch. GC/DS were both gifts since I was young so I don't know if they count though.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Pretty much everything since the SNES, and I forgot about the PS5 pre order and missed it... doh! Managed to get an Xbox Series X though.

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't get the preorder?? Follow Wario64 on twitter (if you haven't yet), and you will be able to get one eventually.
Thank you for the suggestion. But I think I'm on another country. And I don't use twitter. I think the store I'm using fucked up with their preorders (having the preorder open too early) and are now on MS's naughty list. And it has to be that store because I have a gift card.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Do improved handhelds count? Because if so there's a 3DS XL and new 3DS I bought Day 1. Otherwise? No. I think the closest I came to buying a console Day 1 was the 3DS but even that was a few weeks after it came out.

It's a little harder now that I have more disposable income but I'd rather just wait for when the console has more games.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Just Dreamcast and Switch I believe.

Dreamcast I cut out all the articles and downloaded all the quicktime videos off IGN leading up to launch, went to the pre release at media play to play Sonic Adventure. That was the most hyped I ever was for a launch. I still vividly remember my mom driving me home and having the console on my lap drooling over it.

The switch was completely a spur of the moment thing. I walked into Target the day they came out to get something else and they had a couple sitting on the dolly in the electronics section, I asked the lady if I could buy it and she was like 'sure'. lol

I also reserved and got a PSP slim and Xbox One Sunset Overdrive console the day they released if those count. And I already pre ordered both a PS5 and Series X.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Gamecube, Xbox 360, Wii, and Switch

DS as well if counting handhelds.

PS5 will be the next as long as all goes well.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I pre-ordered a PS5 last week. Last time I got a console on day one, the Berlin Wall still existed, A Bush without a W in his name was in the whitehouse and parents got upset kids couldn't play the new games in the old console.

images

That's right kids. It's been such a long time, that back then we didn't have fancy pre-orders. Hell, we didn't even know when consoles would release. We'd just get a vague "fall" release window and the consoles would just show up at stores one day.

So I'm not really sure if I got my SNES on launch day, or launch week. More like launch month, because it was definitely September 1991.Or October. I was 12, and it's been a while.

Last edited:

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think I'm going to wait this year, I still have a ton of games to play on my Pro. It also gives me an opportunity to see what both the PS5 and Series X will offer, any faults with release models etc.

Previously though:

PS1
N64
Dreamcast
PS2
Gamecube
OG Xbox
PS4

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
None, PS5 was my first attempt at getting a launch console but looks like that won't be happening.

I guess the Pokemon X/Y 3DS if that counts. I got that day one.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
All playstations, og XB and 360, all nintendo non-pprtables except NES, all Sega systems except master system.

Feb 1, 2018
Day 1: gamecube, original DS, PS4 Pro, switch lite pink, PS5 and XSS lol

I got the 360, PS3, OG xbox one, wii within a month of them launching

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I ever have. Maybe a handheld.

Johnzyboi

Nov 10, 2018
My dad bought me the Wii on launch day as an early Christmas present.

Never really wanted to get any on launch day besides that.

ShineALight

Oct 27, 2017
I voted 2-3, but realized it's actually 4. Wii, Wii U, 3DS and PS4. I won't be buying a PS5 or Xbox at launch, will likely wait for either Pro models, or just to get a better sense of how this gen is gonna turn out + price drops on the games and systems themselves. And allow time for a decent catalog to build up on either console. My 3DS and PS4 got very little play for at least a year but grew into wonderful systems.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
None. I've never really been moved to buy with launch titles, and I like getting games after knowing ~5 games exist where I'd use it.