• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How many consoles have you purchased Day 1?

Votes: 370 19.0%
  • 2-3

Votes: 561 28.8%
  • 4-5

Votes: 303 15.6%
  • 6-7

Votes: 122 6.3%
  • 8+

Votes: 204 10.5%
  • None

Votes: 387 19.9%

• Total voters

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
With all the pre-order hype going around thought it would be fun to see how many consoles y'all have been there for Day 1. Despite being 35 and having played pretty much every major console since the NES onward my first time actually being day and date with a console was the Xbox 360. The PS5 and XSS will be my 2nd and 3rd launch consoles. As last time around I tried to convince myself I didn't need a PS4 at launch and then proceeded to spend all of the next 2 months after launch searching high and low for a console so I just bought both this time around to save myself the trouble of hunting one down for months on end afterwards lol.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, PSP, Xbox 360, 3DS, PS4, Switch, XSS

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
None. I was a teenager when the PS4 released any my parents couldn't find it for Christmas, I was looking everywhere for it afterwards.

PS5 (and maybe XSX) will be my first.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Only bought the Vita day one, it was completely worth it. Still sad how little effort Sony put into the Vita and expected it to just sell well despite the numerous issues Sony was giving it.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
My first console was an Intellivision in 1982 and I've only gotten 3 systems at launch.
-N64
-Dreamcast
-Wii

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
If handhelds count, then 1 with the PSP. Otherwise 0. Bought a Switch ~4-5 months after launch and that's probably the closest I've otherwise gotten to buying a system close to release. Usually been at least 1-2 years on average for me otherwise.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
None actually. The Dreamcast is still the only one that I bought within its launch year and it was still 3 months after release.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
So far one (Vita); as long as nothing unexpected happens, PS5 will be my second. I got the PS4 about a month after launch when Walmart got a big shipment in.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Wii U,PS4, Xbox One, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, soon to be PS5 and Series X.

If I were to count consoles I got when I was a kid on release:
Snes,N64,Dreamcast, Xbox 360.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Hm... I think just the Nintendo DS. Maybe Game Boy Color? I bought the GBA like a month after launch. I'll say 2-3.

The DS is one specifically where I remember driving like 20 miles to the closest store that had one on launch night, lol.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
I was in my late-ish twenties before I preordered a console, with an Xbox 360 delivered into my grubby little hands. I also bought the Wii, Wii U, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and Xbox One X at launch.

Assuming my preorders go through, I'll be able to say the same about the Xbox Series X and PS5.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo 64
Dreamcast
PlayStation 2
PSP
Xbox 360
3DS
Switch
PlayStation 5 *

Also bought PS4 Pro and Xbox One X day one

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
PS2, DS, PSP, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Vita and Switch (though this was gifted to me - I was going to sit this one out because of how horribly burnt I was by day one 3DS and buying a Wii U at all). Will buy a PS5 day one too.

I regret the PS3, Wii and 3DS day ones.

EDIT: While I bought a PS4 about a year after launch (was happy playing Vita and 3DS releases), I did jump on a Pro at launch if revisions count.

That's 9 at launch versus... 7 after (PS1, GBC, GBA SP, GC, Xbox 360, OG Xbox, Wii U). There's a couple of DS variations in there too I'm not counting (DS Lite, 3DSXL, n3DSXL).

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Are we including imports haha. All of them since PlayStation one. And the Dreamcast and GameCube I imported, so negative -day one! I did get a Sega Saturn after my neighbor told me it was out already and I was like wtf, so that doesn't even count.

Just checked Wikipedia, so 14 so far? Holy shit. Not even including handhelds.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Playstation 2
GameCube
Xbox
Playstation 4
Nintendo Switch
Playstation 5

Not as many as I thought considering I have been playing games since the NES. At some point I basically buy all the consoles though.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Day 1 might just be 3DS, PS4, and Switch. Wii U was within like a week. Wii and DS were within 2 months. Everything else was well outside the launch window.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 only, remember trading in every piece of Xbox 360 stuff I had at the time for it. Paid zero dollars out of pocket which was nice.

Actually also Dreamcast. I'm also getting PS5 day 1, so that makes 3 total.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Prior to this Gen, only the Vita. While Sony dropped the ball with it, I have great love for the system. No regrets.

I grabbed an XSX and am keeping my eye out for a PS5 so, if everything goes to plan, 3 by the end of the year. For the record, I've been gaming since the post N64 era but only now am I able to have the true option to get one at launch.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 was the first, PS5 will be my second. I used to always wait a few months or longer before that.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The first day one for me was the PlayStation Vita. Then the PlayStation 4. Now the PlayStation 5 (assuming it actually gets delivered on time).

I'm 41, and have also been gaming since the NES, but I also grew up super poor, raised by a single mother, who couldn't afford to buy consoles day one, or many video games. I was always happy when she'd surprise me with a new game or system I asked for, even if it was years later. I didn't get a Sega Genesis until I was 15, and by that point, the PlayStation 1 was out! I still fucking flipped my shit when she came home one day and handed me the Sega Genesis box. Up to that point, I had only played them at my friends or cousin's houses. Having one of my own was such a great feeling. I eventually got my own PlayStation 1 when I turned 18 and got my first job (Final Fantasy VII, GTA1, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night were my first purchases). By then, we were already nearing the end of that console cycle and moving on to the PS2 a few years later.

I couldn't find or afford a PS2 at launch, and I couldn't afford a PS3 at launch, but by the time the Vita came out, I had a job where I was making just enough to snag the Vita day one. And by the time the PS4 released, I was making even more, so I could splurge on a PS4 and some games. With the PS5, I'm doing even better, so I was able to go a little more all in with it, getting the console, at least 3 games, an extra controller, an HD camera, and probably a few more games by the time launch rolls around (although Cyberpunk comes out the following week, so that will probably be the last game I purchase for that month).

It's a luxury that I'm grateful for. I don't need these things day one, but it's a rarity that I'm able to indulge and spoil myself like this. Depending on how this election goes in November, I may need the pick me up XD XD

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 4 Pro, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X, Wii, Wii U, New Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
There is only a few consoles I actually owned day one of their release.

The Dreamcast, The Playstation 2, Original Xbox, PS4, PS4 Pro (traded my launch PS4 for it), and soon enough the PS5 and XBSX.

A lot of my earlier consoles such NES, Genesis, SNES were actually Christmas gifts that I didn't even get at launch but couple of years after the fact.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 will be my 5th. GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch.

If we're counting handhelds, that number goes up a lot more.