• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because the Wii U, 3DS and Vita are literally from this gen.

Especially the Wii U for home consoles.

I think it's just moot to try to categorize things into neat generations anymore. Nintendo is doing their own thing and releasing new hardware off cycle relative to Sony and MS. Cutting the Wii U short and consolidating their console and handheld hardware with Switch further muddled that as console and handheld generations where viewed separately before as many handhelds had longer lifespans before being replaced than consoles.

So to me, Wii U and 3DS are "last gen" for Nintendo regardless of their release dates as they've been replaced by Switch. It just doesn't line up with PS4 and Xbox One that came out earlier and have not launched their next gen hardware yet, unlike Nintendo did over two years ago with Switch.

Like I said, not worth arguing about as generations are much more amorphous now with Nintendo being off cycle and doing their own thing, mid-gen hardware refreshes, the rise of streaming and subscription services, likely more cross gen games than ever before and so on. Hence why I listed the Wii U and 3DS as I'm ok with others including them even though I consider them last gen since the Switch replaced both. It's murky and not worth arguing over especially since some take such distinctions way too seriously.

Palidoozy

Concept Artist at Maxis Texas/EA
Verified
Sep 17, 2019
Austin, Texas
I buy more consoles for my fiance, because I tend to play 90% of all games on my PC. I tend to give them to him as birthday/christmas presents.

But stuff I bought for myself:

- 3DS (bought for Pokemon, Harvest Moons/Rune Factories, and Animal Crossing)
- my own Switch (bought after I kept stealing my fiance's to play Smash. I bought it for... Smash, obviously, plus Animal Crossing. Was going to get Pokemon, but now unsure. Wound up getting Fire Emblem and loved it)

I bought PS4 and Switch for my fiance. PS4 I got him for Bloodborne, Switch for Breath of the Wild.

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
Xbox One, S and X
PS4 and Pro
Switch

Really need to stop buying new consoles, particularly as I play mostly on PC these days.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
About 17 this gen. I love me some limited editions:
1x PS Vita (Black)
2x Nintendo 3DS (Blue, LoZ Black & Gold)
2x Nintendo 3DS XL (Blue, LoZ Gold & Black)
1x New Nintendo 3DS (Black)
3x New Nintendo 3DS XL (Black, LoZ Gold & Black, Metroid Red & Gold)
1x Xbox One (Launch Edition)
3x PS4 (Black, White, DQ Metal Slime Silver)
2x PS4 Pro (Black, 500 Million Edition Clear Blue)
1x Wii U (Black)
1x Nintendo Switch (Gray)

Knuf

Oct 28, 2017
2x PS4 (white fat and limited 20th anniversary editions)
1x PSVR (v2)
1x Switch (mario odissey edition)
2x 2ds xl (pikachu and pokéball editions)

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
2 PS4 pros
2 xbox
1 xbox x
2 switch.

All I have left is a pro and x. Both haven't been used in months. Gonna trade them in for the next Xbox since I have ultimate gamepass till 2022.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's just moot to try to categorize things into neat generations anymore. Nintendo is doing their own thing and releasing new hardware off cycle relative to Sony and MS. Cutting the Wii U short and consolidating their console and handheld hardware with Switch further muddled that as console and handheld generations where viewed separately before as many handhelds had longer lifespans before being replaced than consoles.

So to me, Wii U and 3DS are "last gen" for Nintendo regardless of their release dates as they've been replaced by Switch. It just doesn't line up with PS4 and Xbox One that came out earlier and have not launched their next gen hardware yet, unlike Nintendo did over two years ago with Switch.

Like I said, not worth arguing about as generations are much more amorphous now with Nintendo being off cycle and doing their own thing, mid-gen hardware refreshes, the rise of streaming and subscription services, likely more cross gen games than ever before and so on. Hence why I listed the Wii U and 3DS as I'm ok with others including them even though I consider them last gen since the Switch replaced both. It's murky and not worth arguing over especially since some take such distinctions way too seriously.
You're right. It's not worth arguing over.

Because there is no argument. What Nintendo does going forward doesn't change what they already did.

Unless the 7th gen for Nintendo lasted 10+ years. That doesn't even follow how they typically release consoles, handheld or home.

If that's the case, 8th gen for Nintendo started with the Switch? That's one hell of an argument. Or Nintendo completey skipped 8th gen and the Switch is 9th gen. And I do at times consider the Switch 9th gen, but I don't consider the Wii U 7th. But that and our posts are for another topic.

I see the OP set a line at the release of the PS4, XBO. Wild since the Wii U came out a year before, lol. So this is the last I'm going to say on this. 👍

Last edited:

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a PS4 at launch

Upgraded to a Slim for nothing(Awesome EB trade in deal. Extra trade credit, plus selling the games bundled with the system meant I upgraded for free).

Traded that for a 500 Million PS4.

I also have PSVR(v2) and a launch Switch.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Six.

PS Vita
PS4 on launch
PS4 Pro (to replace launch PS4 that's disc drive died)
PS4 Slim (for the wife)
Switch
Xbox 360 E to replace my wife's broken launch 360

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
  • Aqua Blue Nintendo 3DS - June 2011
  • Flame Red Nintendo 3DS - Sept 2011
  • Pearl Pink Nintendo 3DS (Gift for the Wife) - Nov 2012
  • Black Deluxe 32GB Wii U - Nov 2012
  • Flame Red Nintendo 3DS SM3DL Bundle - Dec 2012
  • Flame Red Nintendo 3DS - March 2013
  • Midnight Purple Nintendo 3DS - March 2014
  • Sea Green 2DS (Gift for the Wife)- July 2014
  • Black Nintendo 3DSXL (Gift for my Brother-in-Law) Dec 2014
  • Crystal Blue 2DS (Gift for a friend) Dec 2014
  • Midnight Purple Nintendo 3DS (Gift for a friend) Dec 2014
  • New Nintendo 3DS White Happy Home Designer Bundle - Sept 2015
  • White Deluxe 32GB Wii U (Gift for the Wife)- Dec 2015
  • New Nintendo 3DS White Super Mario 3D Land Bundle - Aug 2016
  • Neon Nintendo Switch - March 2017

• Bought an Aqua Blue 3DS around the time of Ocarina of Time 3D's launch.
  • I preferred the Flame Red color that launched alongside Starfox 64 3D over the Aqua Blue so I ended up buying that a few months later and sold off my Aqua Blue unit.
  • I bought a Pearl Pink 3DS for my wife, as she was still using a DS regularly and would need something to play Animal Crossing in 2013.
  • Bought a Black Deluxe Wii U at launch.
  • Bought a Flame Red 3DS SM3DL Bundle as a "Backup" 3DS as I found a great deal on it. Ended up selling this one new-in-box a few months later after discovering that they completely changed the look of the top lid.
  • Bought a Flame Red 3DS to replace the backup unit above, primarily because the red had stopped production and I wanted to have one on-hand if something catastrophic were to ever happen to my 2011 unit. Later sold this one when early firmware models were in demand.
  • Bought a Midnight Purple 3DS to replace the 2011 Flame Red model as I wanted something fresh.
  • Bought a Sea Green 2DS for the wife as she loved the color scheme.
  • Bought a Black 3DSXL as a Christmas gift for my brother-in-law.
  • Bought a Crystal Blue 2DS as a Christmas gift for a friend.
  • Bought a Midnight Purple 3DS as a Christmas gift for a friend.
  • Bought a New Nintendo 3DS Happy Home Designer Bundle, sold Midnight Purple 3DS.
  • Bought White Deluxe 32GB Wii U as a Christmas gift for the Wife.
  • Bought a New Nintendo 3D Super Mario 3D Land Bundle as a "Backup" N3DS.
  • Bought a Nintendo Switch.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
2 PS4 (I had to sold the first one 2 years ago) and a Nintendo Switch, which I bought last week to play Fire Emblem Three Houses.

Birbo

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 launch day
PS4 white Destiny edition (won from Taco Bell)
Xbox One (sold Taco Bell PS4 to fund)
PSVR (able to get using Best Buy gift certs after purchasing new kitchen appliances)
PS4 Pro (sold launch PS4 to fund)

PS4 gets used most and love the PSVR. Hot and cold with the Switch (currently hot; playing BotW). Xbox One gets the least amount of play by far. 99% sure I'm going PS5 next gen and launch.

Also have:
Wii U (Nintendo refurb system)
PS Vita (cheap refurb)
PSTV ($20!)

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS4 Standard
XB1 Standard
Switch
PS4 Pro (x2)
XBX
Switch Lite

So seven, not counting the mini-console stuff.

Also, I did trade in the older consoles to offset the price of the stopgap consoles, which was nice.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Weird generation for me, as it started with a launch Xbox One and continued with New 3DS, Nintendo Switch (gift) and Xbox One X (gift).

So, basically from the first time I completely skipped Sony platforms.

I managed to play several games with friends (i.e. Bloodborne) and, in general, I'm really fine with the huge amount of games I play.

Side note: i also have a decent PC.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Just 1, the Switch. Couldn't really justify paying the price of other consoles just so I could play a handful of games that aren't on PC.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
PS4 (feb 2014)
PS4 Pro (sep 2017)

I'm always pondering to buy a Switch but I don't game on small screens and I find the "switchable" version too expensive.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
One PS4, a PS4 Pro, two Switches, and a refurbished launch XBO. If they count, probably half a dozen 3DSs and two Vitas, launch and revision.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1) PS4 - sold
2) PS4 Destiny LE - sold
3) PS4 Pro - current
4) Xbox One - sold
5) Xbox One S - sold
6) Xbox One X - current
7) Switch OG - current

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Off the top of my head I've bought 12 though I only have 9 of them now:

-1 Old 3DS (Died to water damage)
-2 2DS (1st one had dust trapped under the screen so I had to replace it)
-1 Wii U
-2 New 3DS XL
-1 PS4
-1 Vita OLED
-1 Vita TV
-2 Switch (First was DoA)
-1 PSVR V2

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Xbox one - got for free, traded it for an S and made $50 profit
Xbox one S - sold after getting my X
Xbox one X - got for free
PS4 - gta bundle, noisy as hell sold it when a quieter revision came out
PS4 - all matte revision, cost me $50 after selling the old system.
Wii U - price matched and got new for $120
3DS XL - got new for half price but took like 11 unites to find a good one

DarkTom

Nov 9, 2017
1 Wii U
1 2DS (sold)
1 PS4 (sold)
1 new 3DS
1 PSTV (sold)
1 Xbox One S

I switched mid-gen several times before (N64 -> PS1, PS2 -> Xbox) but this is the first time I switch 3 times (I still have my Wii U though) : Wii U -> PS4 -> Xbox One S

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
PS4 slim (parents bought I guess), Xbox one day one, Xbox one x, 2ds, iPad (parents and Bro bought), will be buying a pc in a month. Also, I don't sell nothin. I keep it. Unless I need space

jonathanp

Oct 28, 2017
For me:

1. OG XBox One
2. PS4
3. Vita
4. Super Mario Black Friday 3DS.
5. Switch

Considering upgrading my PS4 to a Pro model since I'm not sure if I'm getting the PS5 at launch.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
3DS XL in 2013, still going strong.
X1S when Newegg was selling the BF1 bundle in Dec, 2016 that came with and extra controller and a year of XBLG for $250.
Last year Game Stop was offering a $250 in credit towards a XB1X (wanted it for RDR2) with the trade in of an XB1S, so I got the XB1X PUBG Bundle w/ free game promo.
I will be buying a Scarlett at launch.

I was thinking about acquiring a Switch Lite when the price hit sub $150, but Nintendo not fixing the drift problem turned me off of it. Plus, the majority of the exclusives on the Switch that I was interested in (mostly indies) are making their way to other platforms, like PC (which I built a high end gaming PC last year in June). I do not care for most of Nintendo's 1st party exclusive, except for TLoZ and I am not on board wwith where the franchise is seeemingly headed post BoTW (I did not like it at all).

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I bought a PS4 at launch, not felt the itch to buy others.

Might get an improved Switch once it hits the market.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
  • PS4 - May 2014 - still have this one (upgraded to a 2TB HDD)
  • Xbox One - June 2015 - sold about a year later
  • Switch - March 2017 - sold three months later
  • Switch - January 2019 - still have this one

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Well, I guess this is my time to shine.

From January 1st to November 5th 2019 (today), a span of 309 days, I've purchased 62 physical games for the Nintendo Switch.

This year brought my total Nintendo Switch library count to 219...

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
PS4
XB1
PS4
XB1
Switch
XB1X

No, I don't have all these systems still. Just one XB1, PS4 and Switch.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
Xbox One - gave away
PS4 - gave away
PS4 Pro - still using

Even though I have a decent PC, I'm itching to get an Xbox One S ADE in the Black Friday sales. Why? Dunno. I just want to play Viva Pinata again. Plus the selection of games on Game Pass is better than PC.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Since 2013 (PS4/X1 release year):
  • 3DS XL
  • Wii U; Christmas gift
  • PS4
  • New 3DS XL (Pokemon Su/Mo LE)
  • PS4 Pro
  • NES Classic; Christmas gift
  • Switch
  • SNES Classic
  • Switch v2
Of these, the ones I currently own are the NES/SNES Classics and a Switch v2. Some systems were traded away in order to upgrade (3DS XL, PS4, and OG Switch) but I got rid of my New 3DS XL and PS4 Pro since I wasn't really playing them anymore (the 3DS especially after the whole Dexit thing happened with Sw/Sh), and I wanted to downsize my physical collection so I could focus solely on my Switch.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
-PS4 Launch (returned)
-Xbox One Launch (returned)
-PS4 6 months after launch (sold for below)
-PS4 Slim
-Xbox One S (returned)
-PS4 Pro jet engine (returned)
-PS4 Pro quiet
-Nintendo Switch launch (returned)
-Xbox One X Scorpio edition (returned)
-Xbox One X NBA 2K19 bundle (sold)
-Nintendo Switch better battery life edition

Fettbacke

Oct 29, 2017
- PS4 (sold)
- PSVita Slim (sold)
- XBox One S (sold)
- PS4 Pro (sold)
- new Nintendo 3DS XL SNES-Edition (returned)
- Nintendo Switch Launch
- Nintendo Switch Lite (sold)
- Nintendo Switch (new Version)

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
From November 2013 forward:
  • PS4 shortly before Destiny released.
  • New 3DS XL when Majora's Mask 3D released.
  • Switch for myself on release.
  • Switch for my partner for the holidays either 2017 or 2018 (Can't recall).