• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
On my scale, where a "10" isn't some nonsense claim at an objective "perfect" score but more of a subjectively excellent game that left a strong positive impression--

Doom Eternal -- excellent build on everything established by Doom 2016, one of the best FPS games this generation to me

Animal Crossing: New Horizons -- really relaxing game that I sunk 250+ hours into and acted as a much-needed social link between me and some friends during the craziness of 2020

EDIT: Streets of Rage 4 -- another Sega retro-revival that just felt excellent from top to bottom, in the same vein that Sonic Mania and Monster Boy both hit extremely hard for me in recent years. I've replayed it and accumulated at least 40 hours of playing this game across multiple platforms.

The Last of Us Part II -- this is the most lukewarm that I ever went into a Naughty Dog game owing to me holding pretty strongly to the idea that The Last of Us 1 was all the story I needed from Joel and Ellie, leaving me persistent that my preference for another LoU game was gonna be exploring new characters. Naughty Dog surpassed my expectations by a huge margin and I guess I'm just trucking on again with my strong faith in the studio to make excellent games, a streak they have not broken for me since the original Crash Bandicoot on PS1

Spider-Man: Miles Morales -- an emotionally resonant storyline as a long-time Spider-Man fan and a gameplay pace that felt a lot more engaging to me than the original game (minor complaint about the original) made this smaller package hit really, really strong, especially in a year like 2020 where I needed a kind of familiar and positive narrative backdrop to pin good feelings onto again. This game punches well above its "expansion-sized" weight for me and is one of my Games of the Year for just being a familiar force of positivity that's handled so extremely well in its narrative and its gameplay flow

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
Ghosts of Tsushima
TLOU2
Temtem (loving it so far... playing with my kid too)
FF7R
Yakuza very close too.

Last edited:

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Ori 2, TLOU2, Hades were all incredible

Ghost and MM are up there too but not quite 10/10 for me.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I played 1 and it was TLOU2. The only game out of the 75 I played this year that got a 10.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Control is a 10 for me although I prefer Quantum Break as an IP.
MK 11 is a 10 for me this year although I prefer the gameplay in MK X and Injustice 2.
Wolfenstein New Colossus is close to a 10 for me as well. The graphics are jaw dropping.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Pathologic 2 and Outer Wilds were my 10/10s last year and nothing this year is as good as those. Demon's Souls and TLOU2 are the only games that exceed 9.0/10 out of what I played so far.

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
No 10/10 game this year. Only game last year that was a 10/10 was Disco Elysium. Honestly, last two year kinda sucked for my type of game. But next year is looking good as Baldurs Gate 3 and Pathfinder: Wrath of the righteous coming out.

Aug 13, 2019
None. Ghost of Tsushima is the best game I've played this year, and I think it's a great game, but not that great. I haven't played very many games this year, though. I hope to play Hades soon.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Games from 2020: maybe Hades.
Games played in 2020: Yakuza 0, Dark Souls, RDR2

Some games I played that others might rate as 10s: Celeste, DOOM, Nier automata, FFVII

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
I'd give Astrobot a 10.
Other than that, I've plasyed through a bunch of 9s and 8s like Yakuza, Hades and GoT.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I don't think I had any but I had some great games finished. I've only had one game from this year on there though.

My top ten look to be Ori and the Blind Forest, Journey, A Short Hike, Gris, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Lenna's Inception, AC: New Horizons, Superhot, Undertale, Serial Cleaner, and Hyper Light Drifter.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
no 10s but i did play a 13

44485.jpg

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Aegis Rim, FF7R and Detention

A few games that were really great but maybe not quite up there were P5 royal, Bug Fables, Sayonara Wild Hearts and AI the Sominion Files. And ive started Yakuza 7 but to early to tell how good it is so far.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU2, Animal Crossing, and Astro's Playroom are my personal highs. I'm tempted by all the Hades praise, but rogue likes aren't really my thing.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Probably Miles Morales and Astro Bot.

Don't know if I would ever give any game a perfect score, and these games weren't perfect, but they were probably the highlights of my gaming year. Both concentrated bursts of fun and pushing tech that didn't overstay their welcome.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Just one: Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition.

There's so much in that game that is at the top of its genre. It's one of my favorite games of the generation, maybe even top 4.

For Reference, other games I enjoyed but don't consider 10/10: FFVIIR, Last of Us 2, Ghost, Animal Crossing, Miles Morales.

edit: oh yeah, replayed Galaxy and Mario 64. Definitely 10s.

LoadRunner

Sep 19, 2020
TLOU2 and Astro. Both delivered the experience they intended and exceeded my expectations, that's a 10 in my book.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Played all on the list. All of them underwhelmed or disappointed me in some way. Only AAA game I remember leaving an impact was Ghost of Tsushima.

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
I don't think any of the games I played this year were a 10.

If God of War is a 10, TLOU2 is slightly lower than that for me. And Ghost of Tsushima was slightly lower than TLOU2.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Ghost, Last of Us and Hades were my top games this year but they aren't 10s on my list.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Yeah TLOU2 and FF7's Remake were definite 10's for me. Just replaying TLOU2 on Grounded right now and having a blast all over again, what a game.

Wouldn't say anything else is a top top top game for me, those are my two clear favourites, but there's been so many other awesome games I'd give 9's to. Doom Eternal, Wasteland 3, Demon's Souls Remake, Hades, Ori, Tony Hawk Remake, Spelunky 2. Also low-key Immortals Fenyx Rising is epic, can't stop playing it. Has been a great year for sure!

OP
OP
Thewonandonly

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
TLOU2, Animal Crossing, and Astro's Playroom are my personal highs. I'm tempted by all the Hades praise, but rogue likes aren't really my thing.
I highly recommend you try it!!! As someone who loves rogue likes it's not the strongest in that department. Instead it's everything else that it does splendidly, like gameplay, story, character development and the world! If you don't like rogue likes then this is perfect for you!!

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FF7R was probably the only one for me this year. Story and gameplay were both amazing and had me doing multiple playthroughs which is rare nowadays.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I don't buy many games day 1 so, I always struggle to remember what came out first quarter lol. I don't know that I've gotten far on anything from this year. I'm early in Persona 4 Royal and FF-VIIR and like them a lot. P4 I know will be up there for me just from playing so much of the base game.

With the pandemic affecting finances severely from June+, I've bought nothing 2nd half. Got a big backlog though from PS+ and Steam sales.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Zero. I loved both Ghost of Tsushima and Pirate Warriors 4, but I can't give either a ten.

I didn't actually play too much this year though. I'm sure Persona 5 Royal would have a spot if I finished it.

GCQ

Oct 27, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Out of the 2020 games I've played so far:

Final Fantasy VII Remake
Streets of Rage 4

Out of the games I've played this year from previous years:

Control

And an honorable "Probably Not a 10, But It Got Me Invested In The Franchise Again" Mention:

Assassin's Creed Origins