• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
This isn't really relevant but if I remember correctly, GTA didn't use "fuck" until Vice City.

Just did a search on GTA 3's script and there are no instances of "fuck," but I can't recall if any songs have it uncensored.

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't really relevant but if I remember correctly, GTA didn't use "fuck" until Vice City.

Just did a search on GTA 3's script and there are no instances of "fuck," but I can't recall if any songs have it uncensored.

I barely remember the f-bombs in Vice City. Weird how the game inspired by Scarface barely features f-bombs.
San Andreas though, it was full of fucks.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the only T rated games I've played where I noticed swearing is Uncharted. Games are pretty violent for a T rating too.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
FF7R really suffers from a lot on unwarranted cursing.

I felt like it was kinda fitting - characters like Cloud, Reno, and Barret curse because they're supposed to be tryhard. I get the feeling we're supposed to cringe at it (especially Cloud "Bring it on...bitch" Strife)

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Zero I think. Uncharted has basically pushed the limits of what you can get away with in a T game. A bunch of 'shits' but never the f-bomb.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
The very notion that f words have slipped past the ESRB is hilarious to me
DDR extreme had one "fuck" that was left uncensored in the US and that was rate E (or E10 I can't remember).

At about 1:08 you can hear it. Probably just a slip that no one caught at konami or the esrb.
Yo holy crap, I used to play this game all the goddamned time and somehow I completely missed this! The fact I had a game that dropped the f bomb with my ultra conservative who would ground me for saying crap makes me gleeful on the inside

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
c1c.jpg

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Tangentially related: I was surprised how many "damn"s are in Shadow the Hedgehog, a game rated E10+

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm not mistaken, I know that 1 F-bomb is allowed in a PG-13 movie. I'm not really sure about videogames though. ESRB seems a bit strange at times. I never understood why Halo was rated M to be quite honest (the Flood, maybe...idk. It always felt like it should've been rated T).
The one non-sexual "fuck" rule.

There's a couple F-bombs not edited out of tracks in Beat Saber's Monstercat Vol. 1 DLC.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
DDR extreme had one "fuck" that was left uncensored in the US and that was rate E (or E10 I can't remember).

At about 1:08 you can hear it. Probably just a slip that no one caught at konami or the esrb.
So we have two instances of something slipping through the cracks lol.
The one non-sexual "fuck" rule.

There's a couple F-bombs not edited out of tracks in Beat Saber's Monstercat Vol. 1 DLC.
Is there something like DLC doesn't have to be rated? That might explain that.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be alright with it being zero. Heck, I'd put a limit of ten or so on M-rated games, too! Prevent scriptwriters from using it as a crutch for giving lines punch. F-bombs are best when they have real, notable weight.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Words like "sh*t" used to trigger a 'strong language' descriptor in T rated games but now that's considered 'language'

You cannot have f-bombs in T-rated games unless it's related to music lyrics IIRC.

I follow ESRB ratings hard so I know too much about this lol

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Not Fuck, but I think What The F.... might be allowed. But I cant remember where I heared it from. Could have been an inFamous game.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, so did the original. The original PS1 version's English localisation added a LOT of unneccessary crass language, purely for shock value (The You Won't Find This On Nintendo! factor basically). The other PS1 Final Fantasies and Squaresoft RPGs (outside of the work done by Alexander O' Smith for FF8, FF9 and FFT) suffered from this immature attitude tremendously too.

Nowadays we've just come full circle. Now we're living in an age where everything has to be EDGY PRESTIGE TV; and so, we're right back into the realm of unneccesary crass language, sex and violence being added to classic game remakes and new series entries for no good artistic reason.

Do those characters really strike you as people who wouldn't be cursing quite a bit? Profanity isn't edgy, it's just how most people talk now. If anything it's far more weird in games when there's very little to any profanity.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Somewhat related to this:

One of my favorite stories about swear words in media is for the South Park movie. Apparently, there is (or was at the time?) a rule that stated that if a movie contained 400 or more swear words it had to be rated NC-17. Matt and Trey thought this was such a ridiculous and arbitrary guideline that when they made the South Park movie (Bigger Longer and Uncut, 1999) they purposely put in 399 swears, just to spite the MPAA and still squeak out an 'R' rating

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Einhander was rated E on PS1, lyrics say "you're all fucking doomed" at 1:25-1:26 lol.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't tell you exactly, but I know that the ESRB became a LOT more lenient around the mid 2000s. All of a sudden T-rated games could get away with humans being killed with realistic weapons, could get away with Shits and Fucks and basically became what would've been M-rated games prior.

It was around this time that basically every major franchise starting chucking in F-bombs and such that would never have done prior. MGS4 is a prime example. F-bombs never appeared prior at all in the MGS series; then all of a sudden, F-bombs are literally everywhere. It was really weird and jarring actually.

Yeah, something like this.

I remember the first game I played that had "fuck" in it; it was Hitman: Blood Money.

Kinda surprised the hell out of me, since I had to double-take and make sure I heard it right.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Many shareware games up to the late 90s were unrated, meaning even kids could play something like Timeslaughter

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
dunno how thorough the ratings board really is or what the process is but i'm guessing you could sneak a few F bombs in about anything that isn't animal crossing or kirby whatever and ersb wouldn't know all the better

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they don't start adding that word to teen rated games. I have no desire to play most M rated games. I don't curse in real life as it's not necessary and I have no desire to play a game full of extreme language or graphic violence.

The final fantasy 7 remake I thought put more crass language than necessary and it made some of the conversations irritating to listen to.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I could've sworn FF7R had one because I remember going "woah, they can't say that can they??" But that may just be my mind lumping all the shits together into a fuck

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't be the amount the ESRB looks at but the context of the fuck. Was the fuck justified? Someone stubs their toe in the game and yells "fuck!"
that's a justified fuck.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
A weird addition to the PG-13 rule, the word fuck can't be used in a sexual context or you get an R rating even if it's only used once.

So "what the fuck?" or "fuck you" or just "fuck!" is fine for PG-13 but if you say "we fucked" or "let's fuck" it's R.

Toybasher

Nov 21, 2017
I believe it actually depends on the reviewer. (Whatever the word is for the people on the rating's board who actually put the ratings on)

Reminds me of the MPAA and the various instances where two movies might have very similar content in terms of violence or language, but one will get an R rating while the other might not. Can't remember the movie but I swore there was one that had quite a bit of blood in it and it didn't get an R rating. Think it was Indiana Jones and The Temple Of Doom, which got a PG rating.

Also it lead to some filmmakers padding movies with extra language or violence just to bump it up to an R rating.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
F-bombs were very rare even in M-rated games until the late 2000s.

Remember that even the GTA series didn't contain a single "fuck" until San Andreas.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of any. Agreed that Uncharted was pushing the boundaries of what they can say, without using the word fuck

All hte fucks were saved for Ellie to use.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
A weird addition to the PG-13 rule, the word fuck can't be used in a sexual context or you get an R rating even if it's only used once.

So "what the fuck?" or "fuck you" or just "fuck!" is fine for PG-13 but if you say "we fucked" or "let's fuck" it's R.
Yeah rules like this are so bizarrely specific.

It also adds another layer of fun if you go back to movies in the 70s/80s before PG-13 existed, you get a whole lot of things you do NOT expect to find in PG movies.

These days 'PG' is extremely tame, as most anything risque will bump it to a PG-13, but in pre-ratings change movies you get things like:

Airplane! - A topless woman randomly hops in front of the screen during one scene for basically no reason whatsoever - in a PG movie!

Spaceballs - Near the end of the movie, Dark Helmet says "FUCK, even in the future nothing works!" - also PG!