• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
DyrVoQ4V4AAlLzr.jpg

This is something I just randomly thought of. I think most people know now that a PG-13 film is allowed one F-bomb but I've never heard of such a rule for video games.

I also can't recall any teen rated games with the word fuck, as my hazy memory tells me they were censored in Rock Band/Guitar Hero. However, the JSRF soundtrack is full of them but I'm starting to doubt these tracks were uncensored in the actual game.

So does anyone have an idea or a example of a Teen Rated game with the word "fuck"?
The esrb page doesn't exactly help
www.esrb.org

ESRB Ratings Guides, Categories, Content Descriptors

Use the ESRB video game ratings guide to understand how the rating system works and how to use it to select appropriate video games and apps for your family

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't know if it's rated T in the US but I remember that Remember Me had an out of place f-bomb that felt like that. It was rated M in Australia which I think it is equivalent.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
This reminds me of how "damn" is all it takes to bump a game from an E rating to an E 10+ rating. "Damn" is such a no no word unless you're a grizzled mature 10 year old who has a decade of life experience to handle the blasphemous word.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't think I've ever played a T game with fuck in it.

I feel like until about a decade ago, they were pretty rare in M games even.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I don't know if it's rated T in the US but I remember that Remember Me had an out of place f-bomb that felt like that. It was rated M in Australia which I think it is equivalent.

Just checked, was rated M in the US. Thinking about the content that was in that game, starting to wonder if that instance was enough to bump the rating since I don't recall anything overboard to be M rated. But I has been awhile.

Oct 29, 2017
Couldn't tell you exactly, but I know that the ESRB became a LOT more lenient around the mid 2000s. All of a sudden T-rated games could get away with humans being killed with realistic weapons, could get away with Shits and Fucks and basically became what would've been M-rated games prior.

It was around this time that basically every major franchise starting chucking in F-bombs and such that would never have done prior. MGS4 is a prime example. F-bombs never appeared prior at all in the MGS series; then all of a sudden, F-bombs are literally everywhere. It was really weird and jarring actually.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
However, the JSRF soundtrack is full of them but I'm starting to doubt these tracks were uncensored in the actual game.

Slightly off topic but I think they were censored in JSRF. Birthday Cake has the line "I don't give a flying fuck though!"cut from the game's version of the track.

Dunno about the rest of the OST but I would assume it's probably true across the board.

EDIT: That said, the original JSR had Rock It On and Miller Ball Breakers which both got away with using "Shit", so who knows?

Last edited:

Kydd BlaZe

Apr 17, 2018
If I'm not mistaken, I know that 1 F-bomb is allowed in a PG-13 movie. I'm not really sure about videogames though. ESRB seems a bit strange at times. I never understood why Halo was rated M to be quite honest (the Flood, maybe...idk. It always felt like it should've been rated T).

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember Crazy Taxi had an unedited "fuck" in the lyrics of the Offspring song Way Down the Line. At least on Dreamcast. Never played any of the other versions.

www.youtube.com

Crazy Taxi (Sega Dreamcast) - CRAZY Run ($20,831.76)(Original Course)(Axel)

I dusted off one of my favorite arcade style games ever and took to the roads of Crazy Taxi on my Sega Dreamcast! I've still got it, compiling just over 20k ...

"And all the things you learn when you're a kid, you fuck up just like your parents did."

3m30s if timestamp doesn't work.

Crazy Taxi is rated T.

Last edited:

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
F words I don't think show up.

But infamous was Teen rated and had a ton of use with the word shit

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
I would've thought one, just like PG-13 movies, but can't think of any examples, so I'd believe it being zero.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Weird how many shits are allowed but apparently 1 fuck is too much

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I know why you didn't do it, but you should have named the title "How many 'fucks' can a T-rated game give?"

Also, Kingdom Hearts characters would be a much better if they were allow to say "Bring it on, bitch." or "Let's dance asshole!"

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
IIRC in Europe that PEGI would consider it a 'sexual expletive' meaning it would be 16 or 18.

Which always seems odd considering that they allow a surprising amount of sexual content in games rated 12+.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I remember Crazy Taxi had an unedited "fuck" in the lyrics of the Offspring song Way Down the Line. At least on Dreamcast. Never played any of the other versions.

www.youtube.com

I dusted off one of my favorite arcade style games ever and took to the roads of Crazy Taxi on my Sega Dreamcast! I've still got it, compiling just over 20k ...

"And all the things you learn when you're a kid, you fuck up just like your parents did."

Crazy Taxi is rated T.

Looks like this might be the only example. So it either fell through the cracks or you're allowed maybe one if it's just a part of song lyrics.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
If I remember correctly, Halo 3 got changed from a T to an M due to dropping just ONE. I worked at a gamestore, and I think I recall having to cover ESRB stickers over a batch (pretty sure it was Halo 3...)

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
You can't have any F-bombs in a T-rated game. Crazy Taxi was a slip-through-the-cracks mistake. I did absolutely notice the increase in swearing in T-rated games though. In fact, I can tell you what game it was where I first heard "shit" in a T-rated game and was rather shocked: the first Uncharted back in 2007.

Then everyone followed suit. Hearing Aerith say "shit" in FFVIIR made my jaw drop, lmao.

Couldn't tell you exactly, but I know that the ESRB became a LOT more lenient around the mid 2000s. All of a sudden T-rated games could get away with humans being killed with realistic weapons, could get away with Shits and Fucks and basically became what would've been M-rated games prior.

It was around this time that basically every major franchise starting chucking in F-bombs and such that would never have done prior. MGS4 is a prime example. F-bombs never appeared prior at all in the MGS series; then all of a sudden, F-bombs are literally everywhere. It was really weird and jarring actually.
MGS has always been rated M though, not T... And again, T-rated games cannot have any "fucks".

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
This reminds me of how "damn" is all it takes to bump a game from an E rating to an E 10+ rating. "Damn" is such a no no word unless you're a grizzled mature 10 year old who has a decade of life experience to handle the blasphemous word.

this made me remember that they removed a "damn" from Metroid Prime 3 when they released the Trilogy version. it doesn't make sense since these games are rated T so the word should be fine.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
Jet Set Radio Future's OST was mostly censored, although multiple instances of the n-word are present

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the Rock Band games were a good litmus test of what can and can't be said in a T-Rated game.

Like, you can't say fuck or shit, but you can say the majority of Cannibal Corpse's Hammer Smashed Face (just not the single instance of "fucking"), and in Tenacious D's Rock Your Socks you can still say "drop trou and squeeze out a Cleveland Steamer on my chest"

Though I think the "shit" rule has changed since it's so very common in FFVII Remake.

Oct 29, 2017
FF7R really suffers from a lot on unwarranted cursing.

To be honest, so did the original. The original PS1 version's English localisation added a LOT of unneccessary crass language, purely for shock value (The You Won't Find This On Nintendo! factor basically). The other PS1 Final Fantasies and Squaresoft RPGs (outside of the work done by Alexander O' Smith for FF8, FF9 and FFT) suffered from this immature attitude tremendously too.

Nowadays we've just come full circle. Now we're living in an age where everything has to be EDGY PRESTIGE TV; and so, we're right back into the realm of unneccesary crass language, sex and violence being added to classic game remakes and new series entries for no good artistic reason.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
All Uncharteds are TEEN rated and they only have two of the trinity in English profanities.

It has S-words and A-holes all over, but not one F-bomb.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

www.youtube.com

Crazy Taxi is rated T.
I was just watching some videos of the GameCube and PS2 versions and it's definitely edited there. Seems like they reversed the "fuck" so that it's "cuff"? So basically the end result is that it still pretty much sounds like "fuck" but with a hitch in the audio, lol.

Oct 31, 2017
To be honest, so did the original. The original PS1 version's English localisation added a LOT of unneccessary crass language, purely for shock value (The You Won't Find This On Nintendo! factor basically). The other PS1 Final Fantasies and Squaresoft RPGs (outside of the work done by Alexander O' Smith for FF8, FF9 and FFT) suffered from this immature attitude tremendously too.

Nowadays we've just come full circle. Now we're living in an age where everything has to be EDGY PRESTIGE TV; and so, we're right back into the realm of unneccesary crass language, sex and violence being added to classic game remakes and new series entries for no good artistic reason.

FFVIIR's cursing was great.