• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When does a game break 1TB?

• 1 year into next-gen

Votes: 27 4.7%
  • 2-3 years into next-gen

Votes: 93 16.1%
  • Next-next gen

Votes: 313 54.2%
  • Never

Votes: 99 17.1%
  • Sometime next week

Votes: 46 8.0%

• Total voters

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Call of Duty has an install size closing in on 200GB. Epic just released their UE5 demo showing off "billions of triangles" and those triangles have to take up space. It almost seems like this obscene milestone is within our reach.

I ask of you, when does it happen? When does a game get so big you have to clear out your entire SSD to install it? How long until downloading the game becomes a whole-day affair? How long until you go bankrupt with overage fees if you live in the USA or Australia?

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Ill say never or atleast till next gen because look at console space for next-gen most will start around 1tb harddrive so we won't see it till next gen.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Hopefully by then SSDs will be over 1 TB.

Honestly hopefully SSDs will be 1 TB more common than it is now since your example of a game being 200 GB....that is just insane.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
15-20 years. Games are gonna get smaller in some ways next gen since devs won't have to repeat the same assets for Read time reasons. The consoles only come with 1tb next gen too so nobody's gonna make a game so big you can't even install it. Nvme storage will also need to get a lot cheaper. So late next next gen maybe

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine it'll be 2 generations from now at least. Next gen will slowly creep in. Hopefully standard internet speeds by then are better for everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't even fit on a next gen console.

I agree that Call of Duty MW/Warzone has become a damn joke now, they seem to give no fucks.

MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Eh, I figure we'll be well into various companies' streaming efforts before we hit 1 TB installs. Or installations will get smarter in terms of letting you install only what you want/need.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
the day this happens I quit gaming!!!!

.....until the day after cuz I be bored an shit.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Remember when we reached GB and thought it was too much? Remember when the PS3 came with 60 GB at launch and thought it was a lot?

I think with PS5 and XBX we will reach 500 GB installs by the end of the generation, but we will also see SSDs of up to 50 TB to be affordable by that time.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Chill out dude, that's over a decade away, and supposedly the SSDs will allow for less redundant data, which might slightly shrink file sizes.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
Personally I think that the very first 1TB game install will be for the Nintendo Succ.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Epic just released their UE5 demo showing off "billions of triangles" and those triangles have to take up space.

lol

you can programmatically generate VBO data on the fly, and there's an entire portion of the rendering pipeline these days for things like tesselation. Not everthing is stored as an uncompressed obj model.

OP
OP
Toad King

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
lol

you can programmatically generate VBO data on the fly, and there's an entire portion of the rendering pipeline these days for things like tesselation. Not everthing is stored as an uncompressed obj model.
I didn't mean to imply that every single polygon is stored uniquely, but using models normally reserved for pre-rendered videos in place of baked ones will will be noticeably larger.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
The generation after this one easily because of storage space. But I would not be surprised to see a singular game reach into the 300-400GB range after the cross generation period is over (just like this generation when game sizes ballooned after a lot of games ditched PS3/Xbox 360)

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
This gen does a lot of data duplication to help asset loading. Hopefully that wont be an issue next gen. Plus mandatory super expensive storage should drive developers to make their games smaller.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
I'm going to go with never since you don't have anything pass next next gen. Only a few games have hit the 100gig mark and that's with updates. It's going to be a while before we hit a 1tb mark even close.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't mean to imply that every single polygon is stored uniquely, but using models normally reserved for pre-rendered videos in place of baked ones will will be noticeably larger.

no, they wouldn't be lol. Pre-rendered video is much, much larger than real time models. Polygon data is usually very, very small. Like, there's a hard limit to the amount of attributes one can process in the GPU per vertex, depending on your driver. Even if you have, like, hundreds of attributes per vertex, each are only usually like 4x32-bits big each, so like, maybe a few kilobytes per vertex each.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there's going to be a crazy outlier somewhere if there isn't already in some sim game...hitman 2 I think baloons over 200GB if you install all the DLC and legacy maps. But I think OP specifically means traditional console games. In that case it'll be a long time, obviously...I'd expect sizes to go down for a while as devs try to work around the new SSDs. There's been some interesting discourse recently about ways that game sizes get bloated due things like physically repeated data to improve loadtimes.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Not this gen.

Mainly because Sony would tell them to fuck off, unless they release a SKU with more space as a base eventually.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It won't be next-next gen, but it also won't be "never". Nevertheless, I voted never since there was no other option.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Epic just released their UE5 demo showing off "billions of triangles" and those triangles have to take up space.

Yes, but those are just references to assets. They take almost no space.
For reference, a level in Battlefield takes less than 10 MBs.

It's everything else that makes up the size. 😉

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Never.

By that point it'll be just streaming assets, like Flight Simulator is doing.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
i think we get to the point of AI assisted Compression before we geting to that size. so a long long time.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully never. I thought a nice thing about the SSDs was that it supposedly reduced the amount of redundant assets that needed to be installed and could actually help to lower overall game sizes. With both consoles having less than 1TB of usable space and with expansion hard drives likely to be pricy I'd really rather not have the whole thing taken up by one game.

OP
OP
Toad King

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
no, they wouldn't be lol. Pre-rendered video is much, much larger than real time models. Polygon data is usually very, very small. Like, there's a hard limit to the amount of attributes one can process in the GPU per vertex, depending on your driver. Even if you have, like, hundreds of attributes per vertex, each are only usually like 4x32-bits big each, so like, maybe a few kilobytes per vertex each.
Yes, but those are just references to assets. They take almost no space.
For reference, a level in Battlefield takes less than 10 MBs.

It's everything else that makes up the size. 😉
Sorry, my "triangles take up space" comment was mainly just poking fun at them saying it a bunch in the video. I know the actual vertexes and stuff isn't where all the big sizes come from.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
You realize that part of the trade is no more separate LOD models that need to be made and tested, and far less use of multiple texture layers like normal maps to replicate geometry, right?

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
3 or 4 hardware generations, if even then. A 200 GB install is already pushing it a bit too far IMO; we're not going to see 1 TB installs being acceptable until gigabit internet is common and these devices are shipping with at least 3-4 TB of internal storage.

matcha pocky

Oct 27, 2017
yea there's no way 1 tb games will be out until 5+ tb hard drives are being shipped with consoles

not only is storage expensive af, but the internet infrastructure around the world isn't close to what it needs to be in order for digital delivery to work. who knows - maybe physical will move back to rom cartridges or something

Oct 27, 2017
Even the very biggest games we had this gen were ~100GB. I don't see games being 10x the size any time soon, although I think 3x the size will be quite likely for the biggest file sizes