• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dope thread, agreed on all points. Usb C will be the norm in maybe 10 years, and maybe in 20 years will we see old ports stop being used.

telecom industry makes too much money with old tech so ethernet wont be going anywhere

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
I feel like if we can plug a rtx 3080 into a laptop with 1 thunderbolt 3 cable, we can probably figure out some way to make wiring a home for ethernet a bit easier too

maybe i'm underestimating the great power of the RJ45

the idea of an external GPU would have sounded like far off sci fi bullshit just 5 years ago, and it's now a reality
You are underestimating physics, the longer the cable the slower the speed and usb barely can touch a cat cable in that regard.

Nov 8, 2017
I would sooner expect apple to drop all cables and move to purely wireless for all forms of connectivity and charging before they would replace the lightning cable with USB-C.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
My PC gaming is done through an egpu (razer core chroma. Spoiler alert, that onboard usb hub is shit) and it amazes me that this simple cable is delivering these graphics and processing to my laptop.

is it really a utopia when you still have to worry about which usb type c cable to buy because they arent all the same despite the same connector?

wireless charging is the real utopia
This. While the connector is nice having to deal with different "gauges" of USB-C/TB cables isn't. Not to mention throughput and compatibility is determined entirely on the cable and at times its length.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty disappointed in the feel of the C connector. Makes me miss how satisfying the lightning was.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
This would be amazing if each identical looking USB cable didn't do a different thing. Some cables can't connect to all ports, some can't transfer the right power, some can't take advantage of all the features of the ports. What a fucking nightmare USB-C is, as cool as it looks on paper.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, I'm not sure I want all of the plugs to be the same. I like it when I can tell what a cable is for by what it is. When everything's just the same magic cable, I'll accidentally plug my toaster into my fish tank or something, y'know?

Don't get me wrong: when it's doing the same thing, interop is nice. I love being able to charge my laptop and phone and Switch controller off the same cord. Looking forward to doing the same with the PS5 controller. But like, do I need to be plugging my TV's video input into the wall by accident? Running cables behind my TV's enough of a mess already: the last thing I need is more things that look the same, right?

Give me an easier HDMI cable, sure. No need for it to also be identical to the ethernet and the power and everything else.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
USB Type A is indestructible and vastly superior to your bullshit USB-C.
USB-C is slightly better than USB Micro, but USB Micro was one of the worst things in the universe.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
USB C is great, but it cannot replace a lot of the things you want it to. Power and heat don't magically shrink to that connector size.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Type A ports have never gone away because they haven't needed to, but USB4 effectively ends that argument. The long, slow path to complete removal of Type A on motherboards will start next year.

Other ports, like RJ45, DisplayPort, HDMI, have no real end date because there is no requirement to eliminate them.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but none of the lower-mid range ultra wides I was looking at over the summer supported USB-C.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
I think it's funny that Apple's C to C charging cable is regarded as one of the best value, high quality cables after they drug their feet for so long to implement it on anything (and their own Lightning cables often being hot garbo compared to 3rd party ones.)

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I am surprised that USB C is not replacing HDMI cables. Doesn't it have higher bandwidth and can go longer distances?

Dayfut

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it'll be any time soon. I ordered a pair of cheap truely wireless earbuds that I assume came out this year or last year and the charging case still uses micro usb.

Deleted member 29691

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Loving how hard you stan usb c there OP

I'm the same way, I'm obsessed with the fact that I can use my portable battery to charge my phone, switch, chromebook, and wireless earbuds with the same standard plug. And I love how fast it charges things. Shabooya roll call.

I get genuinely irked when modern devices still use micro USB. I dropped several hundred dollars on Bluetooth headphones and was shook to see micro USB on them. I HATE micro USB so much. It feels so cheap, you have to flip it over and over and over before you get it right, and I feel like I'm going to snap something everytime I plug one in. And then it just sits there and wiggles around lose af. Man FUCK micro USB

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How does the "one device charges another" when both devices can charge and be charged via the same connector? Like, if I plug one phone into another, is there a software thing to drain the 90% phone to juice the 10% phone?

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I like being able to use all of the old things I bought that use USB Type A. The whole "not having to worry about which side the thing is inserted in" is nice but it's not worth losing decades of compatibility over IMO.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
telecom industry makes too much money with old tech so ethernet wont be going anywhere

I hope this is a joke. RJ45 Ethernet is far more practical for network connections, especially over a long distance. Plus considering anyone can make an Ethernet cable it's not exactly a high margin product.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
USB Type C is great. The implementations are not. Hence, why it won't become more mainstream for a while.

However, for consumer products like phones and external storage, it's already here.

Deleted member 279

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this is a joke. RJ45 Ethernet is far more practical for network connections, especially over a long distance. Plus considering anyone can make an Ethernet cable it's not exactly a high margin product.
Maybe you're right but theres nothing profitable about paying labor costs to replace wiring and devices unless the end user coughs up the dough.

Telecom companies make an extreme amount of money daily off things that were built a lifetime ago. They could create a new device today with ports that are modern and you wouldn't see it prevalent for 20 years.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
USB-C is a fucking mess. The connector itself is a huge improvement of course, but everything else just sucks.

I really hope USB 4 changes that, because it's just not good atm. Apple will probably introduce a different connector before they add USB-C to their phones for example.

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Magsafe wireless charger recently and I couldn't believe it didn't come with a plug with a USB-C connector, that Apple then charged me ÂŁ19 for. Do people really have lots of USB-C plugs laying around?

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe you're right but theres nothing profitable about paying labor costs to replace wiring and devices unless the end user coughs up the dough.

Telecom companies make an extreme amount of money daily off things that were built a lifetime ago. They could create a new device today with ports that are modern and you wouldn't see it prevalent for 20 years.
Telecoms live and die on infrastructure-scale deployment and maintenance. They're all about the right tool for the job, at the right cost. And USB-C is neither the right tool (it's exclusively a short-range interconnect), nor the right price (it's stupid-expensive, in any length longer than your arm-span).
I bought the Magsafe wireless charger recently and I couldn't believe it didn't come with a plug with a USB-C connector, that Apple then charged me ÂŁ19 for. Do people really have lots of USB-C plugs laying around?
Once upon a time, no one had a drawer full of USB chargers either. This too shall pass.
I still thought cat6 was the newest shit
Cat8 is a datacenter interconnect thing. Cat7 was almost at thing, but was rendered defunct when the eggheads figured out how to do Cat6 gooder. For home-gamer purposes, Cat6A is still The Shit(tm). (Unless it is, in fact, insufficiently The Shit(tm), in which case your local telecom provider will drop a steaming-hot load of fiber on you.)

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

There is no point in replacing it though. Most consumers aren't using anything close to saturating a gigabit connection, and even if they were a RJ45 connection is still capable of at least 40gbps with a Cat 8 cable.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
OP is ridiculously overdone but 100% correct.

We're slowly getting closer. Drip by drip. One day I'll be able to do away with all these dongles and connectors.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Who ever invented the B standard was just evil

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Whoa, I just discovered USB-C flash drives are a thing.

Agreed @OP, USB-C is a godsend and I hope everyone adopts it and that no one tries making some new dumbass proprietary cable for no reason.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
There are some things that USB-C isn't going to replace, because it wasn't designed to do so. Like patch cable for instance. USB was designed for device interconnects over short runs. It wasn't designed for networks, with runs in the tens to hundreds of meters. Patch cable can easily be made to any length with a single hand tool that cuts, strips, and crimps. I'm not aware of USB crimping being a thing, and no one is going to carry soldering equipment out in the field. On top of this, USB doesn't have a locking mechanism, further making it unfit for these applications due to reliability concerns.

It's a bit like saying the broadcast industry should give up SDI in favor of HDMI. I'd honestly like it if it were the other way around - that the consumer space adopted SDI.

- BNC connectors being cheap and reliable (with locking).
- The cable itself being just coaxial. I think I bought a 25m reel for less than the price of a 3m HDMI cable.
- The standard allowing for runs in the tens to hundreds of meters. HDMI tends to crap out past 5 meters. Anyone who has ever worked on a home cinema setup has probably felt this pain.

But that's obviously never going to happen.

Last edited:

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that most of my stuff is moving to C. My new camera has both a C and Micro port, the new controllers. My laptop and external SSD are C now. I've gotten to the point since I now have enought C to lightning cables that I should start replacing my power bricks with Type C ones.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regular USB cables have been around for so long and are so integrated in office spaces that i think it'll be another 20 years before those are out completely

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Please give me a 1 cable Wacom Cintiq or equivalent. With limited space, it's such a pain to mange those 3-way cables (hdmi for display, usb for input, and power adapter).