• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How Long Until Microsoft Raises The Price of Game Pass?

• In the next year

Votes: 33 17.7%
  • In the next 2 years

Votes: 69 37.1%
  • In the next 3 years

Votes: 27 14.5%
  • In the next 4 years

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • Sometime this generation

Votes: 20 10.8%
  • Sometime Next Generation

Votes: 17 9.1%
  • I don't see Microsoft raising the price of Game Pass

Votes: 8 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
When they have first party games coming out on the reg.

So, eternally waiting for the next E3.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
I don't see a price rise for some time. I'm talking years.

What I do see soon though is an end to the $1/£1 deal and the conversion workaround where people are buying gold subscriptions and then buying a month code etc to convert their subscription.

I'd love to see how many people who subscribe to gamepass ultimate that are paying full price each month for example?

I could be wrong but I'm convinced the majority of subscriptions are conversions.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Next generation, if anytime in the next decade. As long as people keep buying Playstations, they'll keep that price competitive. Hear that, people? Keep PS on top so I can keep enjoying my low Game Pass prices!

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Not any time soon. Maybe they will adjust for inflation once they surpass the number of subscribers they want.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Once their acquired companies start releasing games to entice new sign-ups and they have a large enough install base to justify raising the price, so probably in 2-3 years would be my guess.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not for awhile as they are focusing on building the subscriber base.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
You don't increase the price of a subscription service during the acquisition stage.

This won't even be a consideration until Microsoft get to at least 50m subscribers. Even then, the focus will probably be more on pushing subscribers to the higher tier Ultimate level target than increasing the cost of entry.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I think now is not the time since it would give them bad press when they aren't the market leader yet. And while regular Gamepass is a bit low I think $15 a month for Gamepass Ultimate is fine for a bit. There is no other mainstream entertainment subscription other than cable that charges more than that.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
3-4 years and that's on the short end. They need to stabilize over 50 million or something like that first. I'm of the mindset that the increase will only be like $2 more per month. They should've learned their lesson with that terrible XBL price increase that they tried. Another increase would come a few years later.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say in about two years when all of the games from the studios they've acquired start rolling in.

Ultimate will hit $17.50- $20 monthly.

Plain will hit $12.50-$15.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see a price rise for some time. I'm talking years.

What I do see soon though is an end to the $1/£1 deal and the conversion workaround where people are buying gold subscriptions and then buying a month code etc to convert their subscription.

I'd love to see how many people who subscribe to gamepass ultimate that are paying full price each month for example?

I could be wrong but I'm convinced the majority of subscriptions are conversions.
I absolutely would not pay for Gamepass month to month at full price. Not a chance. Without the Gold conversion thing that locks me in for 3 years I'd only ever pay the occasional month when something I really want to play comes out.

However if Microsoft came out with a reasonable yearly Gamepass sub I'd be in for that like I have been for PS Now.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
because covid and a slow start I think that they will raise it beginning of 2023

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
The thing is.. because Gamepass isn't MS bread and butter like streaming is for Netflix, they can afford to have this price for a long foreseeable time. Again, reaching 50 million subs would generate lots of revenue. Starting to increase price already this gen (or before 50 million).. would somehow send a strange signal. Even if the increase is small, it would still make the service compelling.

so the question is, how much/high price would one pay maximum? Like how much is gamepass worth paying before it starts to reach a level which is uncomfortable?

some people have higher threshold when it comes to this.
Anyways, my standpoint is that I don't see an increase before reaching 50 million. MS manages just fine without the revenue and I would think that reaching a high user base is MS first goal so to say and this is not achieved by already starting to increase the price.

Killua96

Apr 21, 2021
I think that first we will see less promo/tricks, and probably near a big GamePass release a raise of 1-2€, just like Netflix did in the past years.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I'm in till Jan 2024 and i'll keep topping it up with those cheap 1 week codes for 50p because at some point the price will be raised

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Once they have the subscriber count they project to where its worth it. At the rate its going that will definitly be this gen, when exactly ... hard to tell.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
I absolutely would not pay for Gamepass month to month at full price. Not a chance. Without the Gold conversion thing that locks me in for 3 years I'd only ever pay the occasional month when something I really want to play comes out.

However if Microsoft came out with a reasonable yearly Gamepass sub I'd be in for that like I have been for PS Now.
Yeah same here. The reason I paid for 3 years gold upfront was just so I don't have to worry about any price changes or end to the conversion thing.

I'm set until 2024 but I wouldn't pay the monthly fee. Not because it's really expensive but the games available on the service aren't worth it for me yet.

I paid 121 for 3 years. That wouldn't even get me a year at the current monthly price.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Why would MS increase the price of gamepass when it's already expensive? 15/month isn't cheap by any measures.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If MS keeps increasing the userbase, they have no reason to raise it but I can see it happening in 2022/23. All those massive games on the service will command a higher price.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
BYUghiW.jpg

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not for a couple of years. They need the games and user base first.

I think they'll dump gold at some point and do pricing for streaming only, pc/console and ultimate.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Actually instead of a price hike, I can see them implementing something like Disney+ where high profile games are available for a small extra at launch then free 3/6 months down the line

Status
Not open for further replies.