• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How many years?

• <4 years

Votes: 35 9.2%
  • 5 years

Votes: 61 16.0%
  • 6 years

Votes: 67 17.6%
  • 7 years

Votes: 34 8.9%
  • 8 years

Votes: 46 12.1%
  • 9 years

Votes: 16 4.2%
  • >10 years

Votes: 122 32.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cess007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
tenor.gif

Real talk: Around 2023, around the mid of the PS5 gen

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Around four to six years I suppose if making three parts, best case scenario being a new game every two years. Having assets to work with and gameplay mechanics already established is pretty much the only reason I'm being generous in spite of the history of their notoriously long development cycles, along with Midgar being the largest scale and most intricate location in FFVII.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Calling it now- if they streamline this successfully, they're going to go straight through to FF7AC and DoC and finally end the damn thing.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In all seriousness, it's going to be over ten years, if ever.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Future games won't be as time-consuming to produce

They've got all the character models, rigging, battle systems, materia systems, etc etc all built

So at this point it's environmental art, cutscenes, specific events or minigames, and whatever they're going to do with the overworld. It'll take time, but once that first one launches, the demand for the continuation will be such that they'll be on a train they can't stop.
This is a reasonable response. I hope you're right and they don't try to re-architect anything in between games and push things out further.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
6 is my guess, assuming it'll be 3 games total.

Just under 1 year before Part 1 releases.
2 years for Part 2.
3 years for Part 3.

Or maybe flip Part 2 and 3, 2 might take longer if they ramp up the tech for next-gen consoles, and then they can use that same tech for Part 3 so it should be a little faster.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't think they're going to finish it. It's a waste of money. They will make a shitton on episode one, and everyone who bought that will likely lose interest by the time episodes 2 and 3 come out, even though they will likely be more expensive to make, considering the amount of art assets.

Episodes 2 and 3 will cost a lot and less people will buy it. It really doesn't make sense from a business perspective to complete the remake. They will maximize their profit by just releasing episode 1.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they're going to finish it. It's a waste of money. They will make a shitton on episode one, and everyone who bought that will likely lose interest by the time episodes 2 and 3 come out, even though they will likely be more expensive to make, considering the amount of art assets.

Episodes 2 and 3 will cost a lot and less people will buy it. It really doesn't make sense from a business perspective to complete the remake. They will maximize their profit by just releasing episode 1.

First games cost more regardless due to not being able to reuse anything, so this isn't really likely. Under this logic 13-2 and 13-3 wouldn't have been made but they were made solely to offset the costs of 13.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
My guess is ~6 years, 3 parts (2020, 2023, 2026). So basically almost the entirety of the ps5 life cycle will be spent finishing this remake. Don't see how XVI slots too well in there considering how absurdly congested SE's pipeline is in that area.

Oct 30, 2017
I clicked on the thread to post my prediction... but saw the overwhelming positivity, like seriously never saw this much positivity anywhere else it's so touching.

... and I decided not to vote and post any prediction of mine.

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a reasonable response. I hope you're right and they don't try to re-architect anything in between games and push things out further.
about assets, while they dont need to do much about characters and gameplay mechanics, the assets of the cities, world etc is very different from midgar, so they will need to create, the last part of the game (if its 3) that one will be faster, because there's less new places, but the second part will need lots of work.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Midgar is like what, 10% of the story?
That took 5 years to make give or take...
Let's says 3 years for each subsequent 10%, 9 * 3... So 27 years?

Sweet! I'll be able to collect Social Security by the last part!

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's multiple games so years and years. And considering that it's going to be made in full games, I don't really care, even more when I'll take months to beat it.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
First games cost more regardless due to not being able to reuse anything, so this isn't really likely. Under this logic 13-2 and 13-3 wouldn't have been made but they were made solely to offset the costs of 13.

Well 13-2 and 13-3 reused lots of assets. If we're talking about a pretty faithful remake of FFVII we're talking about a lot of new areas with absolutely no art assets represented in episode 1. It's probably triple, maybe quadruple.

Unless they cut. A lot.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I'm hopeful that they'll focus on 7 for the foreseeable future and be done with it in 5 years from now (part 2 in 2022, part 3 by this time in 2024). But I'm pretty sure that ain't happening.

kittenbreath

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'll go with 8 years. The final part will coincide with the 20th anniversary of the original release.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
reckon the first game will underperform, being neither exciting enough for new players and too new to appeal to casual fans of the original, they'll try and remedy it with increasing the scope of part 2 in late 2023, but by then people will have lost interest in the weirdly conceived remake project and the conclusion will come out as a cg movie in 2025.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
No reaction threads – To prevent clutter we will lock all reaction threads during E3. A reaction thread is a topic about a hot take or some other personal reaction to anything that did or did not happen during E3. Examples include "Why wasn't the Switch 2 announced?", "Did Ubisoft just win E3?" and "I can't believe the leaks were real". These sort of topics can be discussed in news threads and conference threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.