• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Normal poll this time ...

• Under a year....(welcome!)

Votes: 2 0.1%
  • 1-3 years. I'm still kinda new to this hobby.

Votes: 2 0.1%
  • ~5 years.

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • ~10 years.

Votes: 9 0.6%
  • ~15 years.

Votes: 73 4.5%
  • ~20 years.

Votes: 288 17.8%
  • ~25+ years holy shit.

Votes: 1,246 76.9%

• Total voters

Ayeffen

Jan 27, 2020
London, UK
I was really lucky that my Dad was in IT at the time - I began playing Duke Nukem 3D on my Dad's PC when I was about 5/6 years old (1996) moving onto Doom, Quake II, Unreal Tournament coupled with the purchase of our N64. A healthy introduction to gaming. 😂

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
My parents had a yellow PONG console (I wish it didn't finish in the thrash) it's the first game I played.

hWoYRWA.jpg

After that, it was the first arcade machines (pac man, space invaders etc...) until my father bought an Apple ][ to do his accounting - and I played Wizardry without understanding anything, but I loved it. Got me hooked to RPG up to this day.

First console I bought with my money was Master system, and after that many more...

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I'm definitely one of the younger posters here as I started in the early 2000's as a kid lol.

My very first console was an SNES and first game was the Super Mario All-Stars + SMW collection. Quite a perfect introduction to the hobby! Can't quite remember when exactly I started. I think I must've been at least 4 years old. Maybe even 3! So I've been into video games for almost 20 years now. Crazy thought o_O

unicornKnight

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I got a NES when SNES was already on its way out, I think I was on 3rd grade so that would mean 1994. I also had an Atari clone before that and I had played a lot of games in friends' houses. So I suppose I have been gaming since 1991-1992, at the age of 5-6.

Is this giving anyone else the feels? The clone consoles were pretty common in Greece in the early 90s.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously though: You ever wonder how long you'll be doing this? How long you'll be on forums arguing over image quality and console specs? How long you'll play online shooters? How long you'll be able to keep up in fighting games? Do you see yourself continuing for another decade or so? Will they have to pry a controller from your cold, dead hands?
My most played game ever is CS:GO (4000+ hours), so I play at a high level (relatively, im not esports level or anything) and I am absolutely dreading the day when my reflexes and awareness starts to deteriorate to the point I gradually become worse and worse. I turn 26 this year and thats probably gonna start happening in the next 3 years.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Isn't late 30's the average age of people who play games?

I'd imagine that most people on this forum started when they were 5 or less. I'm not sure what my first experience was, whether it be Atari, NES, Arcade, or computer but I could easily say I first became excited by gaming over 30 years ago. In that time I've had periods of being deep into games and periods of only casual gaming but still thinking fondly of the more immersive experiences that I had and the potential that the medium holds into the future.

I can't imagine a time where games no longer hold any appeal. My tastes may change though as my sight, hearing, cognition, and coordination fade.

Feb 10, 2018
Since the nes days.
I do miss the feel of sheer wonder and excitement from gaming.

I still love games, but they are a bit more formulaic for me today. (however I did have that wow feeling back with rdr2 and Botw)

I hope VR games get more support next gen, as I feel that medium can bring back that excitement back.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
For about 32 years.

Sometimes I do think about quitting but the technological development will always interest me.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I don't recall a time in my life when I wasn't playing video games, and I don't really believe I'll ever stop

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Since Pong. But I didn't play it until probably 1978 or 1979, when I was 5 or 6.

Anyway, call it 40 years. You definitely need a new poll.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
25+ - I started with the Atari 400 and coin-op arcades at Poole. A lot of random nonsense on the Acorn Electron. Really started to take off when the Amiga 500 hit.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Hmm... I think gaming is a bit different, no? Like imagine playing online pvp @ age 65 vs just watching TV @ 65. Or doing a lv1 run in dark souls @ age 72. Lol .

Believe it or not, a lot of us hope to even live that long ... But gaming at that age competently? That's very unusual. Gaming is a bit more "active" than tv.
A bunch of oldies played the Wii. Now they play free to play iphone / ipad games. Not to mention the popularity of bingo, card games, and lawn bowls. The yearning for play never goes away I suppose but the games we choose will change as we age.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
My parents had a yellow PONG console (I wish it didn't finish in the thrash) it's the first game I played.

hWoYRWA.jpg

After that, it was the first arcade machines (pac man, space invaders etc...) until my father bought an Apple ][ to do his accounting - and I played Wizardry without understanding anything, but I loved it. Got me hooked to RPG up to this day.

First console I bought with my money was Master system, and after that many more...

Damn! That looks cool. Love the futuristic design.

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
28 years old now, have been playing since I was very young. There were some time periods where I didn't play much, but yeah. More or less 25 years.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I started playing games before I could talk. I started by playing my dad's ZX Spectrum around the age of 3 and haven't looked back.

That's now 33 years ago, yikes.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Remake the poll, collapse the first 3-4 categories and split the 25+ into further 5 year increments, OP. My own answer would be in the 35-40 range. :)

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Since Commodore 64, maybe not exactly since it's release in early 80's, but around 84-86? Moved quickly on to Nes around the same time.

Still going strong, but very far and between nowadays.I'm very selective with what game I'm playing. Mostly the big ones like Halo, Naughty Dog and Rockstar titles.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I started gaming with those Tiger LCD handheld devices. So basically when they were still being sold at retail in the UK. I don't remember what year that was.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm 34 and I remember playing games on the NES before I started kindergarten (mainly Mario, Master Blaster, and Zelda). So somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 years